Latest Samsung Ativ S firmware updates

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Just think, why out of a sudden, MS is in argument with Samsung (or vice versa) over some royalties (blah blah blah) right before the MS event on january 21st and the other one in april or may. That's a perfect marketing, headlines holder. Now, I don't say all this is fake, it is very true, but they somehow put this in their advantage in the future collaboration. Just wait and see how magically MS and Samsung comes to a mutual solution, something like MS will cut some of the fines about the royalties and Samsung will get out with some high mid-ranger and high end smartphone. MS has the software, Samsung has the hardware that can make it happen, perfect match. Other thing is, right before the royalties dispute, Samsung announcing that they will cut the number of devices they are producing, why do you think that is? Those "ended" devices will be probably the new WP devices from Samsung. It's all somehow connected. WP is growing, despite the numbers some statistic companies are getting. If you ask me, those number can be easily changed and presented like that. Samsung knows something about Windows 10 that we don't know, and they will probably use that to get back in the WP market who is not small at all. They probably saw the potential Win10 is bringing. Their sales in Android market are dropping, so getting in alliance with MS and WP will probably raise thier domination in the smartphone world over Apple. MS need Samsung dominance, Samsung need efficient OS as Windows Phone (or Win 10 in this case). All those who says that MS doesn't need Samsung, think again, cuz you are deadly wrong about it.
Maybe I am dreaming too much, maybe, I don't know, but somehow i saw a connection to all this MS Samsung thing. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. So far i manage to predict some tech things, hope i am wright with this one too.
If you ask me.... NO.... Samsung will not leave thier WP users. We were far behind in updates to WP8.1 against Lumias and look at us now, we are even ahead of most of the Lumias who are running on WP8.1 but we are running on WP8.1.1.
I know some of us didn't get that update, but if this MS - Samsung things turns right, you might get straight from WP8 to W10.
And yes, ATIV S is a natural WP8 device, so that means it will get the Win10. Maybe we will lack some features from the new W10 cuz of hardware limitation, but we will get it. I believe, just as I believed that Samsung will get us the WP8.1 firmware. :)

Well what can I say, I hope you are right and that everything is going to be ok. Will see...

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the reply. 14. Actually I do not see any mobile data connection icon, which is replaced by the WiFi icon, when this is connected. Below that I just see the availability (E, H, H+,...). Anyway this intelligent system seems to make the manual switching of the connections less important, at least for an "online user"15. To my knowledge a bt4 device would seamlessly connect to a bt3 phone. The difference would be only the lack of the low energy mode. If I am right, will we check that by observing the battery behaviour? 16. Before the update there was no 'enough charge condition'. If the engineers have made it on purpose as you say, this should bring some battery advantage over the other models. I think that condition, in common phones, is eventually active only on extraordinary low charge states. I do not see any reason to give the whole current to the battery, even from a powerful adapter.For Cortana in Italy, as Dragone (non era meglio Pegasus? 😊) said, ativ is stuck on 14203.206 at most. A mysterious start-up crash occurred with 14219.341, pushing the phone into a terrible limbo (they say).The mysteries of Samsung 😊
14. If you pull down the Action Centre you can see that under the connection icons it shows the network and data connection. I just keep WiFi enabled at all times with WiFi Sense switched on.15. That's the thing, without a device to test I wouldn't know if it's BT4.0 and not all BT4.0 devices will connect to a BT3.0 connection e.g. Fitbit.16. What the phone is doing, and AFAIK all phones do this, is building up a charge in the battery before booting. That's why pressing and holding the power button results in a battery charging symbol.

dan16

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
14. Yes, it is what I meant by 'availability', in fact it stays by the network name even with the data connection disabled.
15. Ok, so fitbit could be the test device
16. I am pretty sure that the delay between plugging and booting was not there in my ativ S with wp8.0

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
14. Yes, it is what I meant by 'availability', in fact it stays by the network name even with the data connection disabled.
15. Ok, so fitbit could be the test device
16. I am pretty sure that the delay between plugging and booting was not there in my ativ S with wp8.0

14. The Mobile data connection isn't disabled though. If you look at the status bar icons sometimes you'll see that the mobile data connection kicks in even when using WiFi.
15. That's what I'm thinking but I don't have one to test it with, someone did state that Fitbit now works but I would need that confirmed by multiple people to know for sure.
16. That's interesting, on mine if the battery is flat it powers up to a charging symbol and when the battery has a significant enough charge it continues to boot. I assume that Samsung changed something in the firmware.

I thought I would also mention that the apn and extra settings utilities have received updates and the phone seems more stable with the updates installed. You'll need an app like SysApp Pusher to find them though as they aren't listed in the store.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Just another confirmation of ATIV S working with Fitbit. I have the Charge HR.

Haven't had it long enough to see what it does to battery life though.

The reason I mentioned Fitbit devices being a good test of whether the ATIV S has BT4.0 is that generally their devices won't even be detected if the phone doesn't have BT4.0, which the ATIV S seems to have based on what you've just said.

bigmacpaddy

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I think the BT connection had a small glitch when first setting up, but a quick restart of the phone and everything seems to work ok.

For reference, I updated to 8.1 using the instructions in the first post. I haven't signed back into the developer preview.

garion86

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
i'm italian and i still have no new firmware nor i have cortana.. could you give me some advice? thanks.

Cortana is still in alpha version (italian Language).
I think if you want cortana in italian you must install the DP, or change the Language and the location of your phone in english/usa.

P.s
After the presentation I wonder if wp10 can run smoothly in our ativ s.
And how much time Samsung needs to work on the official version

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Cortana is still in alpha version (italian Language).
I think if you want cortana in italian you must install the DP, or change the Language and the location of your phone in english/usa.

P.s
After the presentation I wonder if wp10 can run smoothly in our ativ s.
And how much time Samsung needs to work on the official version

Regarding Windows 10 I've emailed the CEO to see if it will be supported, I've also asked about the ATIV Camera app as well.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm a bit tired to wait. We're already talking about W10 on the phone and we are still without W8.1 on it. What kind of strategy this is ?

Well, you might skip 8.1 and go straight to 10. Usually (if not always), new versions already have what previous versions did. So, you might go straight from 8 to 10. Let's just hope :)

Dragone

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
So, because it's not on your phone it doesn't exist!!?!

What the hell of an answer is this ? I assume you know somebody owning an Ativ S with the 8.10.14219.341 (or major) os version before answering this way.
I say something because I am confident of something. There was no report of successfull update, I even made a poll. Can you prove otherwise ?

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
So, because it's not on your phone it doesn't exist!!?!

What the hell of an answer is this ? I assume you know somebody owning an Ativ S with the 8.10.14219.341 (or major) os version before answering this way.
I say something because I am confident of something. There was no report of successfull update, I even made a poll. Can you prove otherwise ?

Ok, chill out a bit guys, we are all here with one purpose, don't ruin that. No need to prove ourselfs how much better we know toward others. No need for sarcasm, please :) Ok, who's for a cold beer?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs