Latest Samsung Ativ S firmware updates

DancingDave

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Can someone confirm that downloading the .341 update through Windows Insider still works as of today?

It's currently installed on my phone but Windows Insider doesn't allow me to select fast ring or slow ring anymore. It just mentions that there are no builds available even though I could still select fast ring/slow ring a couple of days ago. So apparently something got changed by MS.

I want to flash back to GDR2 to get the latest firmware update (I'm still on 13.5.2). However I'm now afraid I might lose the possibility to get the .341 update with European Cortana if I do so.

Thanks.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I have no idea of .341, higheest I was offered with v15 FW was .203. Insider got me .219 and with grozaman guide.226

But, wanted to point out that you don't need to go all the way back to GDR2, use grozaman guide, flash with CMIJ1 (that's GDR3), it'll save you some time.

Last edited:

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Ok, something off topic..., since our beloved ATIV S i8750 is pretty much the same internal hardware as the Galaxy S3, what do you think, is it possible to flash it with a stock or at least stable Android custom ROM and if it's possible, do you think that ATIV S could be named a true successor of the legendary and versatile HTC HD2? (Those who owned HTC HD2, knows what am I talking about) :cool:

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Well, according to gsmarena and specifications, S3 have different chipset, Samsungs Exynos with Mali GPU. That is different from our Ativ S, which is ofc Qualcomm.
I think it isn't possible, at least for now, as bootloader is locked. But who knows.
Just to add a little to off topic, they just got W10 build 10070 installed on Ativ S. :D

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
If Ativ S had bigger user base it could have been done much earlier. In the current situation, we don't have enough reverse engineers/crackers to do it. It's definetly possible :D

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
If Ativ S had bigger user base it could have been done much earlier. In the current situation, we don't have enough reverse engineers/crackers to do it. It's definetly possible :D

SecureBoot tech almost perfect in terms of security.
So all hacks almost always based on OS bags.

Totally agree with both :)
If they can only release the ATIV S2, that would be awesome. I will be like "Please, just take my money, will buy it in a heartbeat" (me and my wishful thinking) LOL

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
It would be a very good handset but, the updates to the OS would be hit and miss.
i.e. some regions will get the update and others will not.
Samsung make great hardware but their software support lacks at times.
I know. It's a shame. Can only hope there might be some improvement in the future. Samsung is so strongly tied to Android that Windows Phone may always be an afterthought for them.

anon(7917514)

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Samsung is so strongly tied to Android that Windows Phone may always be an afterthought for them.

Even with android the OS updates are below average for the majority of the handsets. The only handset that they pay particular attention to is the S4, S5 etc and even then only for 18 months to 2 years from the release date. So the fact that we are still getting updates is good to a point.

nRavi

May 6, 2015
Visit site
hellooo ATIV S lovers... i m from India. in 2013, i was browsing the net for a good samsung phone and i found this. but the great ATIV S was not released in India. so I managed to get it from Australia thru one of my work mates. i was so excited to get it and when it fell in my hands i was zapped with the quality and features. later in 2014, i heard windows 8.1 was released for ATIV S but i was not getting it on my device. i kept trying almost everyday by checking updates but in vain. finally in march 2015 i decided to give away my ATIV S and go for lumia 930. i was just about to buy lumia 930 when i suddenly came to this forum and it saved me from parting with my ATIV S. this forum was like a boon for me. i read almost all pages and finally decided to follow the procedures mentioned. as you all have been so descriptive and informative, it was not at all difficult for me to change the CSC from XSA to NEE. immediately on reboot i got the updates. followed instructions of Boris (the great) and there i was with my totally NEW ATIV S with Windows 8.1 Update. i really dont know how to thank u all. especially MegaDragon998, Boris and Grozaman. u guys r taking so much interest and efforts in keeping this forum live and keeping ATIV S ahead of all the rivals n latest smartphones. with Windows 8.1 on ATIV S i dont think there is any need to go for any other device. because of ATIV S i have become a great fan of Windows 8 and now Windows 8.1. now waiting eagerly for update 2 and then of course Windows 10...

i followed the procedure of Boris (changing CSC to NEE and country SWEDEN) and following are images of the results...

before changing the CSC
CSC XSA.png
before 8.1.1 update
Before 8.1.png
after 8.1.1 update
After 8.1 Update.png
after samsung firmware update
After Firmware 1532.png

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
hellooo ATIV S lovers... i m from India. in 2013, i was browsing the net for a good samsung phone and i found this. but the great ATIV S was not released in India. so I managed to get it from Australia thru one of my work mates. i was so excited to get it and when it fell in my hands i was zapped with the quality and features. later in 2014, i heard windows 8.1 was released for ATIV S but i was not getting it on my device. i kept trying almost everyday by checking updates but in vain. finally in march 2015 i decided to give away my ATIV S and go for lumia 930. i was just about to buy lumia 930 when i suddenly came to this forum and it saved me from parting with my ATIV S. this forum was like a boon for me. i read almost all pages and finally decided to follow the procedures mentioned. as you all have been so descriptive and informative, it was not at all difficult for me to change the CSC from XSA to NEE. immediately on reboot i got the updates. followed instructions of Boris (the great) and there i was with my totally NEW ATIV S with Windows 8.1 Update. i really dont know how to thank u all. especially MegaDragon998, Boris and Grozaman. u guys r taking so much interest and efforts in keeping this forum live and keeping ATIV S ahead of all the rivals n latest smartphones. with Windows 8.1 on ATIV S i dont think there is any need to go for any other device. because of ATIV S i have become a great fan of Windows 8 and now Windows 8.1. now waiting eagerly for update 2 and then of course Windows 10...

i followed the procedure of Boris (changing CSC to NEE and country SWEDEN) and following are images of the results...

before changing the CSC
View attachment 104095
before 8.1.1 update
View attachment 104096
after 8.1.1 update
View attachment 104097
after samsung firmware update
View attachment 104098

Thank you Ravi for your words, but it was not just 3 of us that keeps this thread alive, there are other guys as well contributed and spend their free time keeping this thread fluid. Overall, we are one big family here and we help each other.
So in the name of all of us, we welcome you to this thread and we hope we can see much more from you in the future.
Cheers ATIV brother :)

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
It is nice to see that you didn't leave us, but all users here deserve thanking, becuase if it wasn't for them, the 3 of us would be just talking to emptyness. Enjoy your 8.1 and soon 10 :)

grozaman

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I already wrote big instructions and manuals for newbies, but... In Russian of course. I trying to write for all, with all details. But if I use my native language I think you understand that I can use the most difficult language constructions. In this case, I have to spend a lot of time to translate one manual on simple and understandable text in English.

Even on this post, I spent about 15 minutes.

So I haven't enough time to write full post, but I think it's must include simple things like:
  • Differences from Lumias.
  • CSC: Why? For what?
  • Firmware builds (CMK2, BME2 etc): What are the differences? Explanation of abbreviations.
  • Flashing: Why? How?
  • FAQ about bugs and their solutions.
  • The latest information about the latest f/w. And links to update (I already wrote one manual).
  • etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss