Latest Samsung Ativ S firmware updates

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I already wrote big instructions and manuals for newbies, but... In Russian of course. I trying to write for all, with all details. But if I use my native language I think you understand that I can use the most difficult language constructions. In this case, I have to spend a lot of time to translate one manual on simple and understandable text in English.

Even on this post, I spent about 15 minutes.

So I haven't enough time to write full post, but I think it's must include simple things like:
  • Differences from Lumias.
  • CSC: Why? For what?
  • Firmware builds (CMK2, BME2 etc): What are the differences? Explanation of abbreviations.
  • Flashing: Why? How?
  • FAQ about bugs and their solutions.
  • The latest information about the latest f/w. And links to update (I already wrote one manual).
  • etc.

Here is what we gonna do. If you have some instructions written on English, just send it to my email and i will correct them and send to megadragon998, Is that ok? :) i will write you my email in a private message here when you tell me that your instructions are ready :)

SymmetryPlus

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I was prompted with a "Samsung Update" today on CSC BTU, with PFD off.
I assume this is FW 2424.15.3.2 but when I try to install it fails with error code 801882d1.
Does anyone else have this problem, or know of a work round?

Edit: Turns out this was a transient problem. Updated successfully on the 3rd attempt.

Last edited:

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Guys, i think MS just fooled us. As you may see, microsoft quits developer unlocking for Windows Phone 8.0, which means no more sideload and no more inter-op :( Any workaround?

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
A little bit offtopic, but let's make this topic alive. :)

What do you think, is it worth changing Ativ S with Lumia 640?
Bigger screen, but maybe not better? Glance? Double tap? But maybe slower?

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I have held and played for a bit L640 and L640XL, both are great devices, both feels awesome in hand (Even tho i adore my ATIV S i8750, wp8.1.1, I have to admit that it's not a good device to hold it in hands, it's slippery, while 640 and 640XL are not). This is one of the feature where 640/640XL is beating the ATIV S. Anyway, for comparison sake, let's compare ATIV S with L640.

In my opinion here is where L640 is better than ATIV S:
- It have bigger screen (5") than ATIV S (4.8"), both 720p, altho in pixel density ATIV S is better cuz of smaller screen size, but the difference between 5" and 4.8" is not that noticable. L640 have 294ppi and ATIV S have 306.
- It have better CPU than ATIV S. L640 have quadcore QSD400 which is slightly better than ATIV S's dual QSD S4, altho the L640's cpu is clocked at 1.2GHz and ATIV S's on 1.5GHz
- It have better GPU. L640 have Adreno 305 versus ATIV S's Adreno 225
- It have better support than ATIV S in the Micro SD department. L640 is supporting up to 128GB SD Card versus ATIV S's support up to 32GB (altho I have heard with the new and latest WP8.1.1, ATIV S can support up to 64GB, but i am not sure and if someone knows better, please correct me)
- It have bigger battery than ATIV S. 2500 mAh versus ATIV S's 2300 mAh (keep in mind that IPS LCD are less battery hungry than Super AMOLED screens, but Super AMOLED screens are more battery efficient when you use full black backgrounds).
- It have Gorila Glass 3 versus ATIV S's Gorila Glass2

In my opinion here is where ATIV S beats Lumia 640:
- Better pixel density which means more clear view on the screen.
- It's slightly smaller than L640, which means better feel in hand.
- It have Super AMOLED screen versus L640's IPS LCD. In my opinion Super AMOLED screen are doing better justice to WP UI and it is better pleasure to look at the screen than on L640's IPS LCD even if its Clear Black technology. Clear Black is not Full Black.
- Bigger internal memory (16/32GB or 13.5/19.5GB user available) than L640's 8GB (6.5GB user available)
- Better front camera (1.2/1.9 MP, depends on the model) versus L640's 1MP.
- It have dedicated physical Camera button, where :640 (or L640XL) doesn't have.
- It have more sensors than L640. ATIV S have 4 sensors (Accelerometer, gyro, proximity and compass), where L640 have just 3 (Accelerometer, proximity and compass) it lacks the Gyro Sensor, which is very important one and lot's of apps are taking advantages of it.
- It have combination of 2 capacitive buttons and one physical Home button, where L640 have on-screen buttons. In my opinion I like it more the ATIV S combination of the buttons because with the capacitive buttons is less fingerprints on the screen and i can wake my phone from the On/Off button on the side and with the Home button bellow the screen.

Conclusion:
Specs wise L640 is better (cuz it's newer) device than ATIV S, but there is no significant changes or upgrades that will make any previous owner of the remarkable ATIV S to switch to L640. Or if you like the looks of L640 better than the ATIV S, then that is one reason to replace your ATIV S with L640. Altho in my opinion ATIV S have unique design and it looks better than L640 design, but that's just my thought. I will not switch my ATIV S for any of the L640 or L640XL, cuz i love too much the damn phone and on top of that it is on the schedule to get WP10, so... you do the math.
On the other side, L640 is a perfect device to start if you want to switch to WP from some other OS. Or if you come from lower specs Lumia device (like L520, L530, L630/635, etc.). In that case L640 is a worthy upgrade for the one who doesn't want to spend too much money or is budget limited and to get a good phone with decent specs.

I am sure i forgot to mention some other stuffs, but in general this is it, :) I hope this helped to some people wondering should they or not switch or "upgrade".

Cheers.

Last edited:

Rimil0uz

May 29, 2015
Visit site
I have a Sanmsung Ativ S. It has been my main mobile phone for 2 years. Recently I have bought a L640 for my mum. In my opini?n:

-The performance of both phones are quite similar. L640 is better in multitasking while Ativ S is better in single thread since most apps are not optimized to take advantage of 4 cores the ativ S looks faster in my hands.
- The camera of the Ativ is better, even with low light. I ve read that the L640 XL has a better camera but im afraid the L640 isn't so good. Im not saying its bad, just that it cant match the quality of an old flagship as the Ativ is...
- The size is on the Ativ side to... its smaller and looks more premium, the L640 isn't very different from my dad's L535...
- The screens are similar, ativ amoled is better with dark screens while the Lumia displays whites better.
- The Lumia 640 lacks wifi 5GHZ, some sensors and camera bottom, but has glance, senso-core and all the Lumia software.
- The Ativ S has 16 GB storage vs 8 GB of the Lumia. And a better nand flash since the internal storage transference are much faster...
- The Lumia 640 enjoys MS support and is updated to windows 8.1.2 out of the box. While only some Ativ variants have 8.1.1 and you have to mess with your phone to get the 8.1.2....

All in all, if you are going to buy a new mobile phone, and you can get both devices for the same price is hard to say which one is better. However in most countries the L640 is cheaper and buying a second hand Ativ for the price you get a new L640 is hard to recommend. I must add that upgrading from an Ativ to a L640 looks like a stupid thing unless the Ativ is broken...

momonedusa

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
i would prefer 640, simply because now in the summer ativ outside in the day, with sunlight is very difficult to see. I think (not tested by myself) 640 is better.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Seems like L640 is actually a downgrade, based on comments and specs. I think I'll pass on it, althought I woukd have to pay a small defference (~20 euros).
Thnaks everyone for comments. I'll have ti wait more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos