Latest Samsung Ativ S firmware updates

WinSammie

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I found a difference after the update, in the info-screen before the update there was a Sim-id line between the MAC-adres and the IMS: line (left), after the update it is gone (right)!
Image6.jpg
Edit: now that I look at the info-screen again the Sim-id is back.... at least the above screenshots show it was really gone!

Last edited:

grozaman

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
DO NOT TRY TO INSTALL THE LATEST WINDOWS 10 BUILD!
Some phones cannot downgrade from the latest build! Fully bricked without any opportunity to recover (except JTAG, of course). Theoretically Downloader ver. 3.54 could downgrade safely, but I am not sure. Be careful.

Last edited:

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Hey grozaman, sorry if you bricked your phone but I just successfully downgraded my phone. Couldn't stand battery life any more, I've used the 3.54 Downloader and flashed CMJ1 image... It's downloading 8.1 right now.

maan, I bought WP to get rid of need to flash phones as with Android and I flashed my Samsung so many times I think It will melt before the launch of W10 :O

grozaman

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
My phone is OK :)
I just warned, because on my Russian forum already 4 guys got bricks (all with a lot of experience of course). And only one that used 3.54 didn't get the brick.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm glad your phone is ok. :)
I remember one more guy here on forum writing about bootloop or bricking phone after downgrading from latest build but didn't understood his language.
Looks like only 3.54 is safe, but it's better to stay away just like you said.

tiaoris

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Waiting for automatic updates to Ativ s Brazil since 2013. Here GRD2 yet. Could anyone tell me where to find information on when these updates will be disponi?veis for us? thank you

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Waiting for automatic updates to Ativ s Brazil since 2013. Here GRD2 yet. Could anyone tell me where to find information on when these updates will be disponi?veis for us? thank you

There is few methods in tHe opening post of this thread (page 1), go there and do some reading, maybe you will succeed :)

hpstg

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
I have had for months now a weird playback issue with my ATIV S.

When a video in an app (Like Readit gfycat, MetroTube videos etc), and out of an app has a high resolution (higher than 480p as far as I understand), the whole screen except a thin strip on the top goes black when the video is playing in portrait mode.

When in landscape everything is fine. The phone is fine when the black screen occurs, and the apps are responsive when I tap the black areas that should have had the controls. Last but not least, when I get the black screen and I drag the notification center a bit down, the problem fixes itself, the video plays properly and I can see the whole screen. The moment I release the notification drawer, it comes back to the thin strip on top with the rest of the screen black.

The software on my phone is the latest 8.1.1, even with the update pushed last night.

I am not the only one who has this problem, another user from Reddit seems to have it too, but unfortunately I can't post links yet because my account is new. Any ideas or hints on how to fix it would be really appreciated.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

When a video in an app (Like Readit gfycat, MetroTube videos etc), and out of an app has a high resolution (higher than 480p as far as I understand), the whole screen except a thin strip on the top goes black when the video is playing in portrait mode.

When in landscape everything is fine. The phone is fine when the black screen occurs, and the apps are responsive when I tap the black areas that should have had the controls. Last but not least, when I get the black screen and I drag the notification center a bit down, the problem fixes itself, the video plays properly and I can see the whole screen. The moment I release the notification drawer, it comes back to the thin strip on top with the rest of the screen black.

The software on my phone is the latest 8.1.1, even with the update pushed last night.

I am not the only one who has this problem, another user from Reddit seems to have it too, but unfortunately I can't post links yet because my account is new. Any ideas or hints on how to fix it would be really appreciated.

Well, mostly I kinda understand your problem, tho a screenshots would be much appreciated, but since it's your first post, that might wait. first what comes to my mind is Did you try with hard reset to see if the problem solves?

anon(9507301)

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I am French and also have an Ativ S. Following this thread for a while now and updated my phone to the last WP software and last firware, exactly as Boris.

But, i need to keep WI-FI ON when the screen time out. And unfortunately the check box in WIFI options disappeared with WP 8.1

Please do you know how to ALWAYS KEEP WI-FI ON ?

EDIT : WIFI seems to stay on when screen time out only when the phone is plugged .. strange !

Last edited:

hpstg

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Well, mostly I kinda understand your problem, tho a screenshots would be much appreciated, but since it's your first post, that might wait. first what comes to my mind is Did you try with hard reset to see if the problem solves?

Thank you for the reply! I'll try to upload a Youtube video from another device to show you exactly what I mean, but I need at least a couple of hours to do so.

Have you tried watching movies from MetroTube in portrait mode? Also sometimes during video playback in Youtube/Metrotube, the video seems to freeze while the audio continues. If I tap the screen then and the player UI appears and the video "catches up" to the audio and the rest.

This is the link to a video that does that. goo.gl/mVOctn

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I am French and also have an Ativ S. Following this thread for a while now and updated my phone to the last WP software and last firware, exactly as Boris.

But, i need to keep WI-FI ON when the screen time out. And unfortunately the check box in WIFI options disappeared with WP 8.1

EDIT : WIFI seems to stay on when screen time out only when the phone is plugged .. strange !

"WIFI seems to stay on when screen time out only when the phone is plugged"
Correct, wifi is always on, dont worry about that its a new "feature" in WP 8.1.1

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site

I had the same problem but after some updates to TubeCast everything is working OK.
Maybe try hard reset... but to be honest the quickest way to get ride of this stripe is to hold your phone in the correct position (horizontal or vertical) BEFORE starting the video

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the reply! I'll try to upload a Youtube video from another device to show you exactly what I mean, but I need at least a couple of hours to do so.

Have you tried watching movies from MetroTube in portrait mode? Also sometimes during video playback in Youtube/Metrotube, the video seems to freeze while the audio continues. If I tap the screen then and the player UI appears and the video "catches up" to the audio and the rest.

This is the link to a video that does that. goo.gl/mVOctn
Well I guess you have an app problem, it doesn't mean it's an OS problem. Maybe Metrotube is the problem. Here is what you need to test to be sure:
- Try to upload some video you have on your computer to the phone, Watch it on WP's native video player, see if the bug is present there as well. If it's not present, then it must be the app problem.
- Uninstall Metrotube, restart the phone and install it again. Check if the bug fixed.
- If the bug is still present after step 2, then try another youtube app, like Tubecast (i am using that and no problems whatsoever), then myTube is good too, and some others. Choose any other than Metrotube to test.
- Does the bug is present to any video you are watching on Metrotube? If yes, then 90% is the app bad installation problem.

I had the same problem but after some updates to TubeCast everything is working OK.
Maybe try hard reset... but to be honest the quickest way to get ride of this stripe is to hold your phone in the correct position (horizontal or vertical) BEFORE starting the video

I agree with Pappale on this one.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

That is indeed strange problem you have. On my ATIV S wi-fi stays on always, even if the screen went to sleep mode, the wi-fi is working.

nauman73

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site

Not sure why the WiFi check box has disappeared from your device. I can see it on my Ativ S as seen in screen capture below.

wp_ss_20150623_0001.jpg

Another possible reason is the Battery Saver mode. If you have Battery Saver enabled, the WiFi will be turned off when the battery level is below certain percentage (20% I think but not sure). You can check whether the Battery Saver is On. You can access Battery Saver under Settings/System as seen in screen capture below.

EDIT: If WiFi is off due to battery saver and you plug in the phone, the WiFi will turn on. May be this is what you are facing.

wp_ss_20150623_0002.jpg

paul606

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys. I got an update yesterday, I installed it, but haven't noticed any changes. Im running windows 8.1 dev prev on a Samsung T899M with OS ver. 8.10.14203.306. Did you get the update?

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Not sure why the WiFi check box has disappeared from your device. I can see it on my Ativ S as seen in screen capture below.

View attachment 106920

Another possible reason is the Battery Saver mode. If you have Battery Saver enabled, the WiFi will be turned off when the battery level is below certain percentage (20% I think but not sure). You can check whether the Battery Saver is On. You can access Battery Saver under Settings/System as seen in screen capture below.

EDIT: If WiFi is off due to battery saver and you plug in the phone, the WiFi will turn on. May be this is what you are facing.

View attachment 106921

well...
I have battery saver ON but my WiFi stays ON even after reaching 2%

anon(9507301)

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your answers.
I have turned off Battery Saver.
By looking forward in my issue i discovered that my E-Mails are well updated through WI-FI while screen is off.
BUT, i use WhatApps (to send text over internet) and i have some issues when my battery is under 20% in fact it doesn't receive message until i unlock the phone and launch the app.

So the problem seems to happen only when my battery is low .. i will make some test and be sure battery saver is turned off.

Otherwise, i enjoy my phone but i still have random reboot when i can't reach cellular network even after the update. I precise that it only occurs when i'm in a white area with a very low signal.
The last FW update unlocked Bluetooth 4.0 which is useful to remotely control some Lights in my apartment.

The only thing which disappoint me is the battery. During the first year i could easily handle 2/3 days without plugging the phone. But recently with applications like Whatsapp my Battery can only hold one day ... Maybe i will try to change it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo