Latest Samsung Ativ S firmware updates

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your answers.
I have turned off Battery Saver.
By looking forward in my issue i discovered that my E-Mails are well updated through WI-FI while screen is off.
BUT, i use WhatApps (to send text over internet) and i have some issues when my battery is under 20% in fact it doesn't receive message until i unlock the phone and launch the app.

So the problem seems to happen only when my battery is low .. i will make some test and be sure battery saver is turned off.

Otherwise, i enjoy my phone but i still have random reboot when i can't reach cellular network even after the update. I precise that it only occurs when i'm in a white area with a very low signal.
The last FW update unlocked Bluetooth 4.0 which is useful to remotely control some Lights in my apartment.

The only thing which disappoint me is the battery. During the first year i could easily handle 2/3 days without plugging the phone. But recently with applications like Whatsapp my Battery can only hold one day ... Maybe i will try to change it.

... or maybe, just maybe, use Whatsapp less than usual, lol, just kidding :)

Macco26

May 8, 2013
Visit site
BUT, i use WhatApps (to send text over internet) and i have some issues when my battery is under 20% in fact it doesn't receive message until i unlock the phone and launch the app.

Whatsapp can't suffer being suspended because of Battery saver. You should go to Battery Sense app, look for Whatsapp, click and tell it to "continue using WA even under low Battery".
That should solve your problem with WA connection. Won't solve problems with your battery consumption. Pretty sure it'll go even worse. ^^

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, just wanted to say goodbye.. we sold my brothers L625, so I gave him my Ativ (at least for now as he have intention to go over to Android also) and bought myself an LG Spirit.
it's been a long journey, but It's time to go. I'll continue watching this thread. I hope we see each other on some other forum when W10 goes alive and hopefully changes things. :)
All the best to everybody!

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, just wanted to say goodbye.. we sold my brothers L625, so I gave him my Ativ (at least for now as he have intention to go over to Android also) and bought myself an LG Spirit.
it's been a long journey, but It's time to go. I'll continue watching this thread. I hope we see each other on some other forum when W10 goes alive and hopefully changes things. :)

I'm very sorry to see you go :( I still don't want to change to another phone because i think it isn't really worth it. I may switch back to android in future but i don't know when..

Mattemoller90

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site

:/ You are a very good user ;) see you soon

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

Dusane, pa gde ides brate? LOL
Anyway, in your core you are a WP fan, so it's the matter of time when you return to your family, hehe.
It was a real pleasure having debate, exchange and share knowledge with a person with such an enthusiasm and dedication to maybe one of the best WP phones produced. How I see the ATIV S is: Once you go ATIV S, the only thing that will make you change it is the ATIV S2 :)
However, ... LG Spirit? Seriously? :)))
See you soon bro, maybe this autumn :)

nauman73

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
well...
I have battery saver ON but my WiFi stays ON even after reaching 2%

You are right. WiFi remains on when battery saver is on and battery level is low. Thanks for correcting me.

It is actually some applications that stop working normally in battery saver mode when battery level is low. For example, I do not receive my Hotmail emails when battery saver is on and battery level is low.

Mirakle

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello Dusan, sorry to see you leave.
To answer your question (a few pages before), foolowing your recommandations, I've installed Windows 10 10136 on my ativ s.
It's nice to be able to test it. But for you and other people here, I must point some issues that make the device not so usable:
- the lock screen cannot be unlocked. You have to go in notifications, open the camera and press the home button to get to the desktop.
- You cannot add any account
- some system applications do no run
- the phone is a bit slow
- cannot see any browser
I'll update after checking apn and some other things.

Cheers.

blckDTshadow

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Hello Dusan, sorry to see you leave.
To answer your question (a few pages before), foolowing your recommandations, I've installed Windows 10 10136 on my ativ s.
It's nice to be able to test it. But for you and other people here, I must point some issues that make the device not so usable:
- the lock screen cannot be unlocked. You have to go in notifications, open the camera and press the home button to get to the desktop.
- You cannot add any account
- some system applications do no run
- the phone is a bit slow
- cannot see any browser
I'll update after checking apn and some other things.

Cheers.

Have you tried the new build 10049? Might improve the experience.

Cheers,
blckDTshadow

P.S. @Dusan: Always sad to see dedicated users go. Unfortunately Microsoft is doing a good job driving me away as well. I guess if the Ativ S will not see Windows 10 (its Samsung after all), I'll switch to some Cyanogen based Smartphone...

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried the new build 10049? Might improve the experience.

Cheers,
blckDTshadow

P.S. @Dusan: Always sad to see dedicated users go. Unfortunately Microsoft is doing a good job driving me away as well. I guess if the Ativ S will not see Windows 10 (its Samsung after all), I'll switch to some Cyanogen based Smartphone...

Well if you followed news about W10 mobile (and i am sure you did), the W10 Mobile upgrade will be directly from Microsoft, it won't be carrier or OEM dependent. At least it's what MS said. What i like the most from this news is that it won't be Carrier dependent. OEMs I am sure are already working on their firmwares. Win10 in general (PC, Tablets and Phones) is accepted as a huge event (or thing), so manufacturers and OEMs probably working on their adjustment. Remember people, WP (MS) have way better device support than Android (Google). ATIV S will get Win10 Mobile, that is for sure, and it's more than 2 years old model. How many 2 years+ Android phone models did get Lolipop? :)
Yeah yeah, i know, i am too optimistic, but i have good reasons for that. :)

Mirakle

May 14, 2013
Visit site
beware Windows 10 10136: I've got a Windows error message after two or three reboots, and the phone doesn't boot anymore.
I can reach Download mode though, I'll check if I can flash 8.1 back using 3.54 download tool.

File\windows\system32\boot\winload.efi
0xc0000428

edit: flashed back to CMJ1 and updated to 8.1. Everything's fine.

Last edited:

momonedusa

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
yeah, the question for me is to know if with w10 it'll get slower...
Sometimes i'm thinking to get back to 8.0, now the phone has many improvements, but the browser is much worst and slower (slower even in other things, but for that is really evident), and i think it's one of the most important thing in a smartphone.

reem zedek

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Hey, I have ativ s.. And I want to upgrade to win10.. But I can't understanding what's going on in this forum.. You can send me a guide or link to upgrade to win10 that easily? Ty.

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I have ativ s.. And I want to upgrade to win10.. But I can't understanding what's going on in this forum.. You can send me a guide or link to upgrade to win10 that easily? Ty.

wait for the official release. Current state of WP10 on AtivS is a "hit or miss" = you can easily brick (damage) your phone and WP10 is slow and unstable on AtivS.

Mirakle

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Even though I really doubt Samsung will update the Ativ S to W10, it has already surprised us in the past with new WP applications and updates comming from nowhere (we had a folder tiles application before microsoft released folder tiles). Some addition were welcome and not available elsewhere, i.e. the option to block unwanted calls.
Ativ S was and still is a WP device you can tweak. For example, we've had the new three-tile arrangement way before any lumia device.
Anyway, even if we'll have an alternate way to install W10 on our Ativ's, I really doubt it will be fast enough to properly handle it. Even now, when I flash back to 8.0, I'm surprised how fast it is compared to 8.1.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
It's doubtful that the ATIV S will even see Windows 10.

In some interviews MS said that Win10 Mobile will be distributed directly from MS and will not be dependable on Carriers (or regions). But I think it will be dependable from regions because of the smoothness of the process of delivering the Win10.
About OEM's firmwares..... well, that's a different story :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb