Latest Samsung Ativ S firmware updates

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
@Mitja358 So how do you find it? :) What firmware issues are there?
@megadragon998 I think this is the greatest time for MS. One OS for everything is the future, isn't it?
@pappale please don't tempt us too much! Your phone lacks physical keys though ��

As good as it sounds, there are many flaws.

Mitja358

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
It has the same problem, focusing with the deafult camera app, but with 360 Sight works OK.
Otherwise it's pretty solid OS build for every day use. Also it's pretty big update, because the update procedure (DL and install) takes about 2 hours.

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
@pappale please don't tempt us too much! Your phone lacks physical keys though ��

physical buttons? Its 2015!!! The camera of the 950XL is the best on the market. Iphone neither Samsung can provide such a QUALITY! Damn, best phone ever but I hate the WP10 BETA status, it sucks... but will be better (hope so)

dan16

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Well, and 360 Sight cannot be set as the default system camera, can it?
So from BT 4.0, battery life, and random crashes I should not expect big annoyances ...

Dragone

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes I did. I upgraded from 10586.11 to 10586.29 with simple registry tweak.

I go to Settings/Updates/For Developers and Enabled Developer mode (last option). Then with Windows Phone Apllication Deployment 8.1 (same tool for Win 8.1 to Win 10 upgrade) I deployed RootTool.xap and open Root Tool app that appears. Go to Samsung Registry Editor and select 3rd option (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE) and write:

1st textbox for path: SYSTEM\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo
2nd textbox for key: PhoneManifacturer
3rd textbox for value: NOKIA

Then go to Windows Insider and select Fast Ring and that's it. Update to latest 10586.29 version.

Link for download RootTool.xap: Go to XDA Developers and open "Interop Unlock for Windows 10 Mobile + All Capabilities". That file is in attachment in the first post. (I can't paste link because I don't have enough posts here)

Do at your own risk!

I did exactly what you said but windows insider won't let me pick any ring. Root tools said the registry was written. Are you sure the path is right? Is that the only registry I have to write?

Dragone

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I did exactly what you said but windows insider won't let me pick any ring. Root tools said the registry was written. Are you sure the path is right? Is that the only registry I have to write?

I managed it on my own. 3rd option (Samsung Registry Editor) doesn't work for me. First option works (Registry Tool for All Device).

Mitja358

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
dan16: No it can't be set as default yet.
BT works fine to me, battery life is also the same as on the WP8.1 and I don't have any random crashes with 10586.11 neither with 10586.29.

Dragone: Did you write exactly the same with case sensitive (upper and lower letters and backslashes)? Did you reboot you phone after registry tweak?
Yup, that is only one registry that you have to write.

wp_ss_20151205_0002.png

I did this tweak 2 times and both time successful.

lukas_ita

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
BT works fine to me, battery life is also the same as on the WP8.1 and I don't have any random crashes with 10586.11 neither with 10586.29.

Dragone: Did you write exactly the same with case sensitive (upper and lower letters and backslashes)? Did you reboot you phone after registry tweak?

View attachment 118351

I can confirm this works

Dragone

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site

View attachment 118351

Yea, I rebooted. Also I did copy and paste from you post to not make mistakes.

I confirm that in my case the third option (Samsung Registry Tool) didn't work.
I even tried to read what was written before my modification and I could not read SAMSUNG, and this was really strange.
Using the first option (Registry Tool for All Device) I could read SAMSUNG before write, and after I wrote NOKIA I could pick a ring in Windows Insider, even without rebooting.

Mitja358

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Strange, but I'm glad that you solved.

EDIT: I found a typo in my "manuals". It was in: "2nd textbox for key: PhoneMan>>i<<facturer". Sorry for that, I edited that already.

So it should be:

1st textbox for path: SYSTEM\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo
2nd textbox for key: PhoneManufacturer
3rd textbox for value: NOKIA

Last edited:

kevcole1

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

Does anyone have any good guesstimates as when Windows 10 Mobile is likely to be available to non Microsoft/Lumia branded phones i.e Ativ S?

Given that they are manufacturing phones with Windows 10 as standard, and the fact that they are now releasing bug fixes only for Windows 10 mobile. I can not help wondering if it will be soon. I noticed with interest that a LG phone has been added to the Preview for developers list. Especially seeing as it is a non Microsoft/Surface/Lumia phone :)

I suspect, given the lack of interest in non lumia branded phones, by and large, that windows 10 mobile wont be pursued by Samsung and the like. I hope I am wrong..I like my phone...and I dont want to change unless I have too.

Thank you

mageman17

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm trying to be optimistic about Samsung devices getting win 10, but there's a pessimist in some corner of my head telling me otherwise.

But then again, the Ativ S (I believe both the regular and the Canadian 4G version now have ROMS), S Neo and the Ativ SE got 8.1.1 updates despite being on red tape due to a lawsuit and Verizon being Verizon, respectively.

anon(8208347)

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Really hope the ATIV S does get Windows 10, I was looking at getting the Lumia 950XL but if the ATIV gets 10 I'll probably stick with it at least another year.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
HELP HELP HELP!!!
Guys, I really need help, guess my ATIV S got F*cked up.
First let me clear some things:
- I didn't install any app in the last 7 days, The phone was working perfectly up to 2 hours ago.
- I pull out the battery when this (see attachment) first ocure
- Restart the phone, again this (attachment)
- Did a manual hard reset, and after the spinning wheels finished, I got this again (attachment)

Please If anyone saw this before and know some fix for it? Or I need to go to the less wanted option now, to flash it with a new software?
Thank you in advanced, hope someone have a solution, maybe Grozaman? :)
151212_195348.jpg

anon(9600179)

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Hey,
Sounds like a corrupted memory if you didn't do anything.
Can you enter the download mode? If you can't, you can still ask the WP internals author if he plans to support the Ativ S soon or if at least, WP internals supports stock ROM flashing for the Ativ S (WP internals does not officially supports it yet).

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I see no problem, insert the installation disc and continue with instructions.
:p
Haven't seen this screen yet, but if soft and hard reset doesn't help, to my knowing only solution left for WPs is reflash. I hope it'll be everything right after flash :)
and then boom, load it with latest W10M TP build, lol

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey,
Sounds like a corrupted memory if you didn't do anything.
Can you enter the download mode? If you can't, you can still ask the WP internals author if he plans to support the Ativ S soon or if at least, WP internals supports stock ROM flashing for the Ativ S (WP internals does not officially supports it yet).
Was thinking about that and i will ask the author and yes I can enter Download mode.
I see no problem, insert the installation disc and continue with instructions.
:p
Haven't seen this screen yet, but if soft and hard reset doesn't help, to my knowing only solution left for WPs is reflash. I hope it'll be everything right after flash :)
and then boom, load it with latest W10M TP build, lol
Lol, thing is that it is my main phone (still), so I think last rom version i had was this:
wp_ss_20141220_0001.png
Can i find this somewhere?

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
HELP HELP HELP!!!
Guys, I really need help, guess my ATIV S got F*cked up.
First let me clear some things:
- I didn't install any app in the last 7 days, The phone was working perfectly up to 2 hours ago.
- I pull out the battery when this (see attachment) first ocure
- Restart the phone, again this (attachment)
- Did a manual hard reset, and after the spinning wheels finished, I got this again (attachment)

Please If anyone saw this before and know some fix for it? Or I need to go to the less wanted option now, to flash it with a new software?
Thank you in advanced, hope someone have a solution, maybe Grozaman? :)
View attachment 118784

it looks like some virus f* up the system. Just read the description, its a regular Windows 7/8/10 error message, nothing to do with WP. How should you hit F8 on a smartphone?

Just reflash it with the newest 8.1 or 10 image, you dont need the exact same rom as you have now and change NEE to ATO for better update support (if any will be realeased)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans