Wanted to say bye

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I took the plunge today and bought the BEAST. Mainly because I got tired of waiting the FW update, other than that, the Ativ was a great phone (and still is). I had it for almost 1? years, which is a long time for me. Now the full hd screen and the really great battery time got me convinced to try the L1520.

The phone is HUMONGOUS, but you know what; mid-way in to setup it didnt fell too big at all. At that point when I picked up the Ativ it seemed like a miniature device. I have a feeling that the size of the 1520 is going to be great. Of course, I will still be looking like an ***** when talking in to it, no getting around that... I guess I will be using more of my wired one ear handsfree that I have already. Anyway, less radiation ;)

Last edited:

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I felt the very same way, when picking up a 1520 in addition to my 1020. Now I can't even stand the tinyness of that otherwise great phone. The 1520 has become my daily driver, whereas the 1020 now sits in my pocket awaiting to be grabbed when I want to take some pictures. :)

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The camera has to be good for sure in the L1520 also? When I went from L920 to the Ativ S, the thing that I missed was the great camera of the Lumia. That time the approx 30% more battery time, sleeker design and micro-sd card took the race hands down and I didnt look back at the Nokia.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
The camera has to be good for sure in the L1520 also? When I went from L920 to the Ativ S, the thing that I missed was the great camera of the Lumia. That time the approx 30% more battery time, sleeker design and micro-sd card took the race hands down and I didnt look back at the Nokia.
One way or another you are still in the WP family :) and that's what counts the most :)

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Of course I am ;) Its just that us Samsungers are kind of rare breed here..

Which shouldn't be much of a surprise for anyone, considering that Samsung doesn't show much interest in the platform. With more and more OEMs joining this might change in future. Hopefully.
Regarding the camera... Yes, the 1520 has a great camera. In most situations you won't notice a difference between pictures taken with the 1020 and pictures taken with the 1520. Once you reframe your photos though, differences become more obvious. I tend to just flick out my device, point it at what I want to take a picture of and shoot right away. Most of the pictures come out quite nice, but since I got the 1020, I found myself more and more skimming through my photos at some point and reframe those I wasn't completely happy with.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
If the 1520 were available in Canada, I would have done the same. I love the AMOLED display and battery life of my ATIV S, but I'm dying for a Nokia camera, although I am happy with the photos from my ATIV.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
If the 1520 were available in Canada, I would have done the same. I love the AMOLED display and battery life of my ATIV S, but I'm dying for a Nokia camera, although I am happy with the photos from my ATIV.

With proper lenses (there's lots of them in the WP Store), the ATIV S Camera can be a stunning 8MP shooter. I also love my ATIV S and to be honest the camera thing is not a converter point for me to switch to any Nokia device, I just love the design and built of the ATIV S, it is so business/premium/modest design, altho i would love to have the NL1020 along with my ATIV S just because of the camera. :)

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't care who sees me using my 1520 making a call. It's a superb device. They can stare all they want!!! They're only jealous...

YeMan

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I don't care who sees me using my 1520 making a call. It's a superb device. They can stare all they want!!! They're only jealous...

I like to think as windows phones as conversation starters. Not weirdo phones that are "too big and bulky" for someone to use. I have some cool convos with people interested about the phone. Most of them think they are bad because 1. It isn't an iPhone and 2. Because it's Nokia. Then they end up liking the phone and asking to use it whenever they see me haha.

Sasakinator

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I feel the same way, my phone has been great until the second update in Dev Preview where my phone turned into a guessing game of which problems will it have today. Seeing as only Lumia phones to be supported for 8.1 and possibly beyond I'm considering switching over to a 5" Lumia model for T-mobile, or wait until the rumored 830 on Sept 5th, or the M8 rumored announcement on the 18th of this month. I really don't want to leave WP as I enjoyed WP7 on a HD7 and WP8 on a Lumia 810.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
That... Even though Im sure the Ativ will get the 8.1 at some point, Lumia's get everything first. Now and Im sure in the future also.

I wanted to go for the 1520 and not the 930 because of the amazing battery and you can get them fairly cheap. Even though its been out for a while its basically the same phone as the 930. Many sell them little used for very cheap (not liking the size maybe?). I bought mine for 280€, in white which was my choise of color. The phone is with warranty and in mint condition.

I also have an WinRT tablet that I hope now I can sell and have only 2 devices. I use it very rarely. Most times even on the move I want to have my 14" (ssd+hdd, i7 and 16gb ram) laptop with me, so the tablet just sits in my house.

Ah the sweet thing of hustling... My friend wants to swap the Ativ S to her 16gb iPhone 4s, which I can sell for about 200€ here. Ativ S is so unappreciated that you are lucky to get 100€ for it. Its a good deal to her also. She wants a change and what was very nice, is that I had a brand new housing and backcover waiting in my drawer. Now I changed it to the Ativ (super easy) and the phone is brand new, not a single scratch anywhere! (The Ativ's screen has been amazing by the way, not a single scratch even though the phone has been dropped and whatnot. (my L920 got small marks in few weeks?) I will throw in a 8gb class10 Samsung SD-card, 16gb for everything + 8gb for music is more than plenty for her.

Last edited:

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
That... Even though Im sure the Ativ will get the 8.1 at some point, Lumia's get everything first. Now and Im sure in the future also.

I wanted to go for the 1520 and not the 930 because of the amazing battery and you can get them fairly cheap. Even though its been out for a while its basically the same phone as the 930. Many sell them little used for very cheap (not liking the size maybe?). I bought mine for 280€, in white which was my choise of color. The phone is with warranty and in mint condition.

I also have an WinRT tablet that I hope now I can sell and have only 2 devices. I use it very rarely. Most times even on the move I want to have my 14" (ssd+hdd, i7 and 16gb ram) laptop with me, so the tablet just sits in my house.

Ah the sweet thing of hustling... My friend wants to swap the Ativ S to her 16gb iPhone 4s, which I can sell for about 200€ here. Ativ S is so unappreciated that you are lucky to get 100€ for it. Its a good deal to her also. She wants a change and what was very nice, is that I had a brand new housing and backcover waiting in my drawer. Now I changed it to the Ativ (super easy) and the phone is brand new, not a single scratch anywhere! (The Ativ's screen has been amazing by the way, not a single scratch even though the phone has been dropped and whatnot. (my L920 got small marks in few weeks?) I will throw in a 8gb class10 Samsung SD-card, 16gb for everything + 8gb for music is more than plenty for her.
So if I understand good, your friend have the iPhone 4S and wanted to swap it for Samsung ATIV S? If that's so, than your friend is a very smart girl (or woman, don't know her age) and she is lucky to have a friend like you who understands WP and will explain her how good it is :) Hope she will use the ATIV S good and long :)
Oh btw, you did tell her about the occasional warm ups of the ATIV S in the area bellow the main camera right? :)

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Well she wants something new and she has seem me using the Ativ and the phone "with those boxes". This is very simple to her as she gets the Ativ as new boxed and ready to go. No need to sell the iPhone4 as I will do it. Did notice though thet 150 is closer what I probably get from the iPhone, although I didnt see any Ativ's sols over 75€.
Damn Ativ is probably the most under appreciated phone out there. What a great device running the last software without any lag.

What warmups? I didnt notice anything that wasnt normal. I felt that the L1520 on wifi and browsing can warm up way more. I remember the HTC, after Kaiser what was the name.. With KB, picture is in my sig... Anyway that heated up so much I returned 2 of them... Normal behavour, tehy were al llike that.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Well she wants something new and she has seem me using the Ativ and the phone "with those boxes". This is very simple to her as she gets the Ativ as new boxed and ready to go. No need to sell the iPhone4 as I will do it. Did notice though thet 150 is closer what I probably get from the iPhone, although I didnt see any Ativ's sols over 75€.
Damn Ativ is probably the most under appreciated phone out there. What a great device running the last software without any lag.

What warmups? I didnt notice anything that wasnt normal. I felt that the L1520 on wifi and browsing can warm up way more. I remember the HTC, after Kaiser what was the name.. With KB, picture is in my sig... Anyway that heated up so much I returned 2 of them... Normal behavour, tehy were al llike that.
Well, this is the situations i notice when my ATIV S getting hot (warm):
- When i speak with someone on the phone for about 20 to 30+ minutes (don't ask, lol)
- When I call someone and talk few seconds and lock the phone when i finish. The phone starts to warms up.
- When sometimes i check some info or something within some app and quick get back to start screen (no multi-tasking)
- When i check the new sms or email
I never have my mobile data (internet) turned on nor the wi-fi finder is turned on always. I turn them on only when i need internet, when i finish i turn them off. In background tasks everything is blocked, except Samsung Now (using it just for weather) and the Insider (battery monitor, that barely have a footprint on the RAM).
This warm ups are not happening all the time or every time, but just from time to time. I have read here and on other forums that other users experienced the same issues. I dissemble my ATIV S, check everything from mother board to all those pieces on the mother board and around, everything is as it is, working fine. So it must be something with the installation of the OS. Still stays a mystery, LOL :)

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I guess Im still looking out for the update. She wanted the advanced functions from 8.1 regardless of the bugs, so I guess I need t tell her when its finally out.

mms-pc

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I felt the very same way, when picking up a 1520 in addition to my 1020. Now I can't even stand the tinyness of that otherwise great phone. The 1520 has become my daily driver, whereas the 1020 now sits in my pocket awaiting to be grabbed when I want to take some pictures. :)

Actually I have the same idea, I do feel like getting myself a Nokia Lumia 930 or something, but I have a rule to refraining myself from buying another smart phone, for every smart phone I buy, I must use it for at least 2 years before replacing it with another one......So before this 2 years limit comes, I'll still have to use my ATIV S phone any way.

Boris NevermorE

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Actually I have the same idea, I do feel like getting myself a Nokia Lumia 930 or something, but I have a rule to refraining myself from buying another smart phone, for every smart phone I buy, I must use it for at least 2 years before replacing it with another one......So before this 2 years limit comes, I'll still have to use my ATIV S phone any way.
Kinda my rule too :)
So, how was the ATIV S for you by now? Are you satisfied with it?
And one more question, just curious: If Samsung release let's say Samsung ATIV S2 with specs equal or maybe slightly better than the Lumia 930, would you go for it? (yeah we know there is ATIV SE, but that's still Verizon exclusive).

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre