08-25-2016 07:50 PM
236 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Here you go. Notice the new firmware number...I mistakenly provided the old one in my earlier post.

wp_ss_20150417_0002.jpgwp_ss_20150417_0003.jpgwp_ss_20150417_0004.jpg

I was able to spend some time last night going through all functions. Phone is noticeably quicker. Using Battery Saver I disabled background activity on most apps and battery drain is down to 1.7%/hr. Camera functions are fine with no issues. This update has rejuvenated the ATIV S.....nothing so far but positives.
    Last edited by mdvision; 04-17-2015 at 01:26 PM.
    04-17-2015 12:53 PM
    That's wonderful!
    04-17-2015 02:18 PM
    Here you go. Notice the new firmware number...I mistakenly provided the old one in my earlier post.

I was able to spend some time last night going through all functions. Phone is noticeably quicker. Using Battery Saver I disabled background activity on most apps and battery drain is down to 1.7%/hr. Camera functions are fine with no issues. This update has rejuvenated the ATIV S.....nothing so far but positives.
    Thanks for this. I've been running the Developer's Preview for over a year with the understanding that I should be able to update my firmware upon its release, but so far that doesn't appear to be the case. I'll keep trying.
    04-17-2015 02:21 PM
    Thanks for this. I've been running the Developer's Preview for over a year with the understanding that I should be able to update my firmware upon its release, but so far that doesn't appear to be the case. I'll keep trying.
    I was tempted to do this but decided the known issues without the firmware update would not be acceptable to me. Specifically the camera malfunction issue was the deal breaker. You may have to go through the reversion process to WP8 unless the firmware update can be installed with the DP version installed.....don't think that works. Especially glad I made that decision now.
    Matthew Becker1 likes this.
    04-17-2015 03:16 PM
    I guess there's always the option of changing the CSC to 'BMC' for those of us with non-Bell branded phones...
    Hmmm,that's something to think about if Rogers doesn't come thru. The broken camera finally pushed me to the 930. I would love to use my Ativ S on a daily basis again.
    04-17-2015 03:34 PM
    Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it will be anytime soon, based on Rogers' OS upgrade page (sorry can't post the link, if you don't have it already, due to not having enough posts in this forum). If the 930 is your current daily, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to change the CSC on the Ativ S. :)

My Ativ S is my EDC, so I just have to find time to make sure everything is backed-up prior to making any attempts.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    04-17-2015 04:18 PM
    I was tempted to do this but decided the known issues without the firmware update would not be acceptable to me. Specifically the camera malfunction issue was the deal breaker. You may have to go through the reversion process to WP8 unless the firmware update can be installed with the DP version installed.....don't think that works. Especially glad I made that decision now.
    Alas, there's no recovery tool to use to revert to an earlier version of Windows Phone unless you use a Lumia. I would have to find some way to flash it and I don't want to risk bricking my phone in the process.

I would have preferred to wait, but considering I've had 8.1 on my phone for a whole year now, I'm certain I would have abandoned it by this point. I'm a touch annoyed because I understood (through Windows Central no less) that you can get firmware updates even when running DP, regardless if you use a Lumia or not. Either they were wrong, or the update hasn't been pushed to my phone just yet (yes, this is a Bell phone).
    Last edited by Matthew Becker1; 04-17-2015 at 04:35 PM.
    04-17-2015 04:24 PM
    Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it will be anytime soon, based on Rogers' OS upgrade page (sorry can't post the link, if you don't have it already, due to not having enough posts in this forum). If the 930 is your current daily, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to change the CSC on the Ativ S. :)

My Ativ S is my EDC, so I just have to find time to make sure everything is backed-up prior to making any attempts.
    Actually went ahead and changed the csc to BMC and hard reset. No dice. The csc did indeed change,(as did the "about" screen) but I think the fact that I have DP 8.1 is the road block. As far as I know, there is not a way to revert back to WP 8 with the T899 like there is with the i8750. BTW...changing the csc did not hurt the phone in any way, but it didn't get me the official 8.1 with new firmware either:(
    Last edited by mary beth hale; 04-17-2015 at 04:42 PM.
    04-17-2015 04:30 PM
    ATIV S on Bell. Just got prompted that my phone has an update. Dismissed because my battery is at 23% and charging.

If this is finally 8.1, I'll have to contemplate the install. I was planning on picking up the next flagship and leaving my ATIV as a demonstrator of the UI beauty of wp8. I'm not sure if I can give up the beauty of the photo hub. I've lived just fine without the action center thus far.
    04-17-2015 09:12 PM
    Is it possible that the Bell update is staggered? I'm curious if there are any ATIV S users on Bell using 8.0 who haven't been prompted for an update yet.

EDIT: Seeing as people are switching CSC from Rogers to Bell, it's unlikely this is staggered. Any thoughts as to why people on Developer's Preview aren't being prompted for the firmware update?
    Last edited by Matthew Becker1; 04-18-2015 at 10:13 AM.
    04-17-2015 10:04 PM
    WOW...just got a prompt to install an update enabling update to 8.1. I thought this was a done deal and not going to happen. Very late but really happy about this......on Bell.

Update installing now....will advise on results later. Nice!
    Thanks for posting this info!

T899M on Rogers (non DP), changed CSC from RWC (Rogers) to BMC (Bell) and immediately was able to check for updates and download 8.1

If anyone is interested, to change CSC I dialed ##634# then in the diagnostic menu entered *#321647335, and selected BMC. The phone then performs a hard reset so make sure you backup everything first!.
    mdvision likes this.
    04-17-2015 10:38 PM
    I wasn't prompted. I found out from mdvision posting on this forum, so I went to phone update in the settings and as soon as I did that I received the updates. I've had 8.1 for 24 hours now and I am extremely happy with the update. The phone does seem to be running faster now, though battery life is definitely less than it was before. It's nice that I can finally use the TD Bank app, even though it's sort of a boring app :)
    04-17-2015 10:39 PM
    Installed the first update and it immediately found 8.1 for download. I've downloaded 8.1 but postponed the install.

I need to refresh my memory on what I'll lose with 8.1. I do like agenda view on the calendar, and the photos hub. Hate to lose those with the change to 8.1.
    04-17-2015 10:52 PM
    Ouch, I only have 458mb free after downloading 8.1. I wonder if it will free up some space after install?

One thing for sure, 16gb storage is not adequate. I only have 400mb of music on here, and 200mb photos. Future flagships better have 32gb minimum.
    04-17-2015 10:59 PM
    Actually went ahead and changed the csc to BMC and hard reset. No dice. The csc did indeed change,(as did the "about" screen) but I think the fact that I have DP 8.1 is the road block. As far as I know, there is not a way to revert back to WP 8 with the T899 like there is with the i8750. BTW...changing the csc did not hurt the phone in any way, but it didn't get me the official 8.1 with new firmware either:(
    If you could find a way to revert to 8.0 the CSC change option appears to work well according to member harebrainedkiwi. Hopefully you can figure out a way to revert.....maybe a call to Bell/Rogers/Samsung support?
    Last edited by mdvision; 04-18-2015 at 01:51 PM.
    04-18-2015 01:06 PM
    Installed the first update and it immediately found 8.1 for download. I've downloaded 8.1 but postponed the install.

I need to refresh my memory on what I'll lose with 8.1. I do like agenda view on the calendar, and the photos hub. Hate to lose those with the change to 8.1.
    FYI Calendar still has agenda view option.....not sure what you may prefer re: photo hub. If you have the update option I highly recommend applying it. My Ativ S feels like a nice current phone rather than the approaching 3 years.
    RJ Priest likes this.
    04-18-2015 01:12 PM
    Ouch, I only have 458mb free after downloading 8.1. I wonder if it will free up some space after install?

One thing for sure, 16gb storage is not adequate. I only have 400mb of music on here, and 200mb photos. Future flagships better have 32gb minimum.
    Running 16GB plus a 32GB SD card....not expensive and a quick and easy fix. 48GB total with music and photos/videos on card.
    Last edited by mdvision; 04-18-2015 at 02:05 PM.
    04-18-2015 01:14 PM
    A few more observations after updating.

The bluetooth connection to my car Chrysler Uconnect system is now more reliable. Prior to the update the phone would lose connectivity periodically and a phone restart the only option. Yesterday I got in and out of my car multiple times (at least 10) and the phone reconnected every time without issue. I liked that.

Phone performance is remarkably good. Considering the age of the phones SOC it is running 8.1 like a champ. I have 727 charges on the battery now so have decided to purchase a new battery. My ATIV S looks and runs perfect and I expect it will be able to meet my needs for some time to come still. I helped a client setup their Lumia 830 recently and frankly the updated ATIV S holds it's own really well in comparison. The only spec features I would like or miss is camera OIS and high dynamic audio recording mics. Otherwise this is still a really nice phone.

LTE network connectivity works perfectly.

I preferr the option of bigger tiles rather than the extra row with smaller tiles. Here are comparison screenshots and the setting option. Note that I did not rearrange the tiles using the smaller size. You can see the difference though.
    wp_ss_20150418_0001-1-.pngwp_ss_20150417_0004-1-.pngwp_ss_20150418_0005-1-.png
    Last edited by mdvision; 04-18-2015 at 02:42 PM.
    04-18-2015 01:30 PM
    FYI Calendar still has agenda view option.....not sure what you may prefer re: photo hub. If you have the update option I highly recommend applying it. My Ativ S feels like a nice current phone rather than the approaching 3 years.
    I forgot how the calendar app was updated with the return of agenda view. I installed 8.1 and I'm pretty happy with it other than a noticeable hit to battery life.

I just have to get accustomed to posting to Facebook from the app. I always used the built in Facebook integration of wp8.
    04-18-2015 01:42 PM
    I helped a client setup their Lumia 830 recently and frankly the updated ATIV S holds it's own really well in comparison. The only spec feature I would like or miss is camera OIS and high dynamic audio recording mics. Otherwise this is still a really nice phone.
    Same here. I ended up with ATIV S due to the 920 being exclusive to Rogers in Canada, and I'm on Bell. I have been well pleased with ATIV'S display and battery life is better, but I desperately want a preview camera and haac microphones.
    04-18-2015 01:46 PM
    I wasn't prompted. I found out from mdvision posting on this forum, so I went to phone update in the settings and as soon as I did that I received the updates. I've had 8.1 for 24 hours now and I am extremely happy with the update. The phone does seem to be running faster now, though battery life is definitely less than it was before. It's nice that I can finally use the TD Bank app, even though it's sort of a boring app :)
    You can optimize battery life via Battery Saver app. It is more granular than the previous "Background" options in WP8. Without compromising functionality I was able to to get standby battery use down to 1.7%/hr.

wp_ss_20150418_0003-1-.pngwp_ss_20150418_0004-1-.png
    Last edited by mdvision; 04-18-2015 at 02:35 PM.
    04-18-2015 02:11 PM
    You and I are in the same boat. I'm going to try messaging Samsung support later to see if there's a way to get the firmware update. It's likely that Samsung pushed the firmware first before 8.1 intentionally, and since we already have the latest version of the OS (8.10.14203.306), the phone doesn't realize that the firmware version is outdated (2212.13.11.2).
    04-18-2015 03:52 PM
    You and I are in the same boat. I'm going to try messaging Samsung support later to see if there's a way to get the firmware update. It's likely that Samsung pushed the firmware first before 8.1 intentionally, and since we already have the latest version of the OS (8.10.14203.306), the phone doesn't realize that the firmware version is outdated (2212.13.11.2).
    I completely agree with your take on this. I also think Samsung released the firmware some time ago. If you get any info about what could be done to get the firmware while running DP8.1 please share. Even though I have a 930 now, I miss using my Ativ S. There are so many things I like about it and it still performs so well despite being an older phone.
    Matthew Becker1 likes this.
    04-18-2015 06:49 PM
    I changed my CSC from Rogers to Bell and am running 8.1 Update now, thanks mdvision (Bill :P) for posting his experience yesterday. I am finally able to pair my MS Band with my Ativ S, instead of my Lumia 1020 (use it primarily for the 41MPs). Only sad thing to report is that I lost all my "supposedly backed up" text messages. I only cared about one string, but it is what it is.

After upgrading to 8.1 Update, my Microsoft Account (under emails+accounts in settings>system) is now "Not Up To Date," which I suspect is the culprit of my lost text woes. I spent some time looking on the interwebs for a solution and even chatted with Windows Phones live chat rep, but all my attempts are to no avail. Guess I'll just enjoy my newly updated Ativ S. If anyone is curious, I get the Error Code: 86000108.
    04-18-2015 06:59 PM
    I completely agree with your take on this. I also think Samsung released the firmware some time ago. If you get any info about what could be done to get the firmware while running DP8.1 please share. Even though I have a 930 now, I miss using my Ativ S. There are so many things I like about it and it still performs so well despite being an older phone.
    I currently don't have any other device, and would eventually like to sell this phone. Certainly can't do that in good conscience without the proper firmware.
    04-18-2015 10:21 PM
236 ... 45678 ...