T899M 8.1 official Samsung firmware update

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Here you go. Notice the new firmware number...I mistakenly provided the old one in my earlier post.

wp_ss_20150417_0002.jpgwp_ss_20150417_0003.jpgwp_ss_20150417_0004.jpg

I was able to spend some time last night going through all functions. Phone is noticeably quicker. Using Battery Saver I disabled background activity on most apps and battery drain is down to 1.7%/hr. Camera functions are fine with no issues. This update has rejuvenated the ATIV S.....nothing so far but positives.

Last edited:

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Here you go. Notice the new firmware number...I mistakenly provided the old one in my earlier post.

I was able to spend some time last night going through all functions. Phone is noticeably quicker. Using Battery Saver I disabled background activity on most apps and battery drain is down to 1.7%/hr. Camera functions are fine with no issues. This update has rejuvenated the ATIV S.....nothing so far but positives.
Thanks for this. I've been running the Developer's Preview for over a year with the understanding that I should be able to update my firmware upon its release, but so far that doesn't appear to be the case. I'll keep trying.

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for this. I've been running the Developer's Preview for over a year with the understanding that I should be able to update my firmware upon its release, but so far that doesn't appear to be the case. I'll keep trying.

I was tempted to do this but decided the known issues without the firmware update would not be acceptable to me. Specifically the camera malfunction issue was the deal breaker. You may have to go through the reversion process to WP8 unless the firmware update can be installed with the DP version installed.....don't think that works. Especially glad I made that decision now.

Kilika_g35

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it will be anytime soon, based on Rogers' OS upgrade page (sorry can't post the link, if you don't have it already, due to not having enough posts in this forum). If the 930 is your current daily, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to change the CSC on the Ativ S. :)

My Ativ S is my EDC, so I just have to find time to make sure everything is backed-up prior to making any attempts.

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I was tempted to do this but decided the known issues without the firmware update would not be acceptable to me. Specifically the camera malfunction issue was the deal breaker. You may have to go through the reversion process to WP8 unless the firmware update can be installed with the DP version installed.....don't think that works. Especially glad I made that decision now.
Alas, there's no recovery tool to use to revert to an earlier version of Windows Phone unless you use a Lumia. I would have to find some way to flash it and I don't want to risk bricking my phone in the process.

I would have preferred to wait, but considering I've had 8.1 on my phone for a whole year now, I'm certain I would have abandoned it by this point. I'm a touch annoyed because I understood (through Windows Central no less) that you can get firmware updates even when running DP, regardless if you use a Lumia or not. Either they were wrong, or the update hasn't been pushed to my phone just yet (yes, this is a Bell phone).

Last edited:

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it will be anytime soon, based on Rogers' OS upgrade page (sorry can't post the link, if you don't have it already, due to not having enough posts in this forum). If the 930 is your current daily, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to change the CSC on the Ativ S. :)

My Ativ S is my EDC, so I just have to find time to make sure everything is backed-up prior to making any attempts.
Actually went ahead and changed the csc to BMC and hard reset. No dice. The csc did indeed change,(as did the "about" screen) but I think the fact that I have DP 8.1 is the road block. As far as I know, there is not a way to revert back to WP 8 with the T899 like there is with the i8750. BTW...changing the csc did not hurt the phone in any way, but it didn't get me the official 8.1 with new firmware either:(

Last edited:

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
ATIV S on Bell. Just got prompted that my phone has an update. Dismissed because my battery is at 23% and charging.

If this is finally 8.1, I'll have to contemplate the install. I was planning on picking up the next flagship and leaving my ATIV as a demonstrator of the UI beauty of wp8. I'm not sure if I can give up the beauty of the photo hub. I've lived just fine without the action center thus far.

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible that the Bell update is staggered? I'm curious if there are any ATIV S users on Bell using 8.0 who haven't been prompted for an update yet.

EDIT: Seeing as people are switching CSC from Rogers to Bell, it's unlikely this is staggered. Any thoughts as to why people on Developer's Preview aren't being prompted for the firmware update?

Last edited:

harebrainedkiwi

Apr 18, 2015
Visit site
WOW...just got a prompt to install an update enabling update to 8.1. I thought this was a done deal and not going to happen. Very late but really happy about this......on Bell.

Update installing now....will advise on results later. Nice!

Thanks for posting this info!

T899M on Rogers (non DP), changed CSC from RWC (Rogers) to BMC (Bell) and immediately was able to check for updates and download 8.1 :smile:

If anyone is interested, to change CSC I dialed ##634# then in the diagnostic menu entered *#321647335, and selected BMC. The phone then performs a hard reset so make sure you backup everything first!.

don braithwaite

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't prompted. I found out from mdvision posting on this forum, so I went to phone update in the settings and as soon as I did that I received the updates. I've had 8.1 for 24 hours now and I am extremely happy with the update. The phone does seem to be running faster now, though battery life is definitely less than it was before. It's nice that I can finally use the TD Bank app, even though it's sort of a boring app :)

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Installed the first update and it immediately found 8.1 for download. I've downloaded 8.1 but postponed the install.

I need to refresh my memory on what I'll lose with 8.1. I do like agenda view on the calendar, and the photos hub. Hate to lose those with the change to 8.1.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Ouch, I only have 458mb free after downloading 8.1. I wonder if it will free up some space after install?

One thing for sure, 16gb storage is not adequate. I only have 400mb of music on here, and 200mb photos. Future flagships better have 32gb minimum.

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Actually went ahead and changed the csc to BMC and hard reset. No dice. The csc did indeed change,(as did the "about" screen) but I think the fact that I have DP 8.1 is the road block. As far as I know, there is not a way to revert back to WP 8 with the T899 like there is with the i8750. BTW...changing the csc did not hurt the phone in any way, but it didn't get me the official 8.1 with new firmware either:(

If you could find a way to revert to 8.0 the CSC change option appears to work well according to member harebrainedkiwi. Hopefully you can figure out a way to revert.....maybe a call to Bell/Rogers/Samsung support?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb