T899M 8.1 official Samsung firmware update

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Installed the first update and it immediately found 8.1 for download. I've downloaded 8.1 but postponed the install.

I need to refresh my memory on what I'll lose with 8.1. I do like agenda view on the calendar, and the photos hub. Hate to lose those with the change to 8.1.

FYI Calendar still has agenda view option.....not sure what you may prefer re: photo hub. If you have the update option I highly recommend applying it. My Ativ S feels like a nice current phone rather than the approaching 3 years.

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Ouch, I only have 458mb free after downloading 8.1. I wonder if it will free up some space after install?

One thing for sure, 16gb storage is not adequate. I only have 400mb of music on here, and 200mb photos. Future flagships better have 32gb minimum.

Running 16GB plus a 32GB SD card....not expensive and a quick and easy fix. 48GB total with music and photos/videos on card.

Last edited:

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
A few more observations after updating.

The bluetooth connection to my car Chrysler Uconnect system is now more reliable. Prior to the update the phone would lose connectivity periodically and a phone restart the only option. Yesterday I got in and out of my car multiple times (at least 10) and the phone reconnected every time without issue. I liked that.

Phone performance is remarkably good. Considering the age of the phones SOC it is running 8.1 like a champ. I have 727 charges on the battery now so have decided to purchase a new battery. My ATIV S looks and runs perfect and I expect it will be able to meet my needs for some time to come still. I helped a client setup their Lumia 830 recently and frankly the updated ATIV S holds it's own really well in comparison. The only spec features I would like or miss is camera OIS and high dynamic audio recording mics. Otherwise this is still a really nice phone.

LTE network connectivity works perfectly.

I preferr the option of bigger tiles rather than the extra row with smaller tiles. Here are comparison screenshots and the setting option. Note that I did not rearrange the tiles using the smaller size. You can see the difference though.
wp_ss_20150418_0001[1].pngwp_ss_20150417_0004[1].pngwp_ss_20150418_0005[1].png

Last edited:

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
FYI Calendar still has agenda view option.....not sure what you may prefer re: photo hub. If you have the update option I highly recommend applying it. My Ativ S feels like a nice current phone rather than the approaching 3 years.

I forgot how the calendar app was updated with the return of agenda view. I installed 8.1 and I'm pretty happy with it other than a noticeable hit to battery life.

I just have to get accustomed to posting to Facebook from the app. I always used the built in Facebook integration of wp8.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I helped a client setup their Lumia 830 recently and frankly the updated ATIV S holds it's own really well in comparison. The only spec feature I would like or miss is camera OIS and high dynamic audio recording mics. Otherwise this is still a really nice phone.

Same here. I ended up with ATIV S due to the 920 being exclusive to Rogers in Canada, and I'm on Bell. I have been well pleased with ATIV'S display and battery life is better, but I desperately want a preview camera and haac microphones.

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I wasn't prompted. I found out from mdvision posting on this forum, so I went to phone update in the settings and as soon as I did that I received the updates. I've had 8.1 for 24 hours now and I am extremely happy with the update. The phone does seem to be running faster now, though battery life is definitely less than it was before. It's nice that I can finally use the TD Bank app, even though it's sort of a boring app :)

You can optimize battery life via Battery Saver app. It is more granular than the previous "Background" options in WP8. Without compromising functionality I was able to to get standby battery use down to 1.7%/hr.

wp_ss_20150418_0003[1].pngwp_ss_20150418_0004[1].png

Last edited:

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Actually went ahead and changed the csc to BMC and hard reset. No dice. The csc did indeed change,(as did the "about" screen) but I think the fact that I have DP 8.1 is the road block. As far as I know, there is not a way to revert back to WP 8 with the T899 like there is with the i8750. BTW...changing the csc did not hurt the phone in any way, but it didn't get me the official 8.1 with new firmware either:(
You and I are in the same boat. I'm going to try messaging Samsung support later to see if there's a way to get the firmware update. It's likely that Samsung pushed the firmware first before 8.1 intentionally, and since we already have the latest version of the OS (8.10.14203.306), the phone doesn't realize that the firmware version is outdated (2212.13.11.2).

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
You and I are in the same boat. I'm going to try messaging Samsung support later to see if there's a way to get the firmware update. It's likely that Samsung pushed the firmware first before 8.1 intentionally, and since we already have the latest version of the OS (8.10.14203.306), the phone doesn't realize that the firmware version is outdated (2212.13.11.2).
I completely agree with your take on this. I also think Samsung released the firmware some time ago. If you get any info about what could be done to get the firmware while running DP8.1 please share. Even though I have a 930 now, I miss using my Ativ S. There are so many things I like about it and it still performs so well despite being an older phone.

Kilika_g35

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I changed my CSC from Rogers to Bell and am running 8.1 Update now, thanks mdvision (Bill :p) for posting his experience yesterday. I am finally able to pair my MS Band with my Ativ S, instead of my Lumia 1020 (use it primarily for the 41MPs). Only sad thing to report is that I lost all my "supposedly backed up" text messages. I only cared about one string, but it is what it is.

After upgrading to 8.1 Update, my Microsoft Account (under emails+accounts in settings>system) is now "Not Up To Date," which I suspect is the culprit of my lost text woes. I spent some time looking on the interwebs for a solution and even chatted with Windows Phones live chat rep, but all my attempts are to no avail. Guess I'll just enjoy my newly updated Ativ S. If anyone is curious, I get the Error Code: 86000108.

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I completely agree with your take on this. I also think Samsung released the firmware some time ago. If you get any info about what could be done to get the firmware while running DP8.1 please share. Even though I have a 930 now, I miss using my Ativ S. There are so many things I like about it and it still performs so well despite being an older phone.
I currently don't have any other device, and would eventually like to sell this phone. Certainly can't do that in good conscience without the proper firmware.

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I changed my CSC from Rogers to Bell and am running 8.1 Update now, thanks mdvision (Bill :p) for posting his experience yesterday. I am finally able to pair my MS Band with my Ativ S, instead of my Lumia 1020 (use it primarily for the 41MPs). Only sad thing to report is that I lost all my "supposedly backed up" text messages. I only cared about one string, but it is what it is.

After upgrading to 8.1 Update, my Microsoft Account (under emails+accounts in settings>system) is now "Not Up To Date," which I suspect is the culprit of my lost text woes. I spent some time looking on the interwebs for a solution and even chatted with Windows Phones live chat rep, but all my attempts are to no avail. Guess I'll just enjoy my newly updated Ativ S. If anyone is curious, I get the Error Code: 86000108.

Did you change the CSC back to Rogers?

Kilika_g35

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I did not change back to Rogers. I'm pretty sure my old backup is now gone since a newer 8.1 Update version took it's place. Hmm are you thinking that it might resolve the "Not up to date" issue?

My phone just prompted me for an update, not sure what it is. Guess I'll report back tomorrow.

Kilika_g35

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I did not change back to Rogers. I'm pretty sure my old backup is now gone since a newer 8.1 Update version took it's place. Hmm are you thinking that it might resolve the "Not up to date" issue?

My phone just prompted me for an update, not sure what it is. Guess I'll report back tomorrow.

Never mind, it was just a keyboard language update. All versions are the same as what mdvision reported in his screenshots.

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Just finished chatting with Samsung support. Alas, the agent didn't really have anything to offer except to "wait for the next update," as a new firmware version comes with a new OS version (8.1 update 2, maybe?). When asked if this device will be supported in the future, all I got in response was, "I hope so."

I mean, I certainly hope we get Update 2, but up until this past week I was convinced that there weren't going to be any more updates to this phone.

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Using SGH-T899M rom from XDA Developers i was able to return back to wp 8.0 on my phone.

Taylor's Super ROM and Tool Dump! SGH-T899M,?€? | Windows Phone 8 Development and Hacking | XDA Forums

Dawnload SGH-T899M_VLCMK2_R_signed.zip; SGH-T899M_OYACMK2_R_signed.csc; SamsungUSBDriver.msi; and WP8 SMD binary USB Downloader Ver. 3.47.exe files and use guid from this forum for SGH-I8750.

Here is the thread with instructions. Looks to be same procedure as i8750 except be sure to use the t899m ROM detailed above.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/sa...guide]-how-revert-back-wp8-gdr3-wp8-1-dp.html

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
thanks for all of the good info. got everything set up and phone into download mode without issue. unfortunately the binary smd downloader won't recognize my phone, so unable to press "start". disabled driver verification in windows settings, re-downloaded samsung driver 3 times, switched usb cables and ports and windows says driver is up to date. so looks like a no-go for me. worth a try though. if anyone knows why the smd binary won't recognize my phone, give a shout and thanks again guys.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo