T899M 8.1 official Samsung firmware update

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Like many others, I just assumed that Samsung was finished with this phone. Not that it would have been a surprise, since it launched in December 2012. Usually their support period for phones is roughly two years. But seeing as we literally got nothing during that second support year (Dec 2013-Dec 2014), this is a welcome update. Whether or not we'll get Windows 10 remains to be seen (all WP8 handsets supposedly *can* be upgraded to W10).

EDIT: Checking the Microsoft Store, they're still selling the Bell locked ATIV S. That's likely why Bell users were able to get the update. Rogers and TELUS have stopped carrying it for awhile now.

FYI out of curiosity I checked the MS Store and found the ATIV S but it requires a click through to Bell. The link did not work so I went directly to Bell Mobility (BC) page to look for it. No dice.....I couldn't find it there....only Nokia Win phones. I did find some new and used ones on Kijji however. A new in box was listed there for $160 with a few others .....all in Ontario.

Not sure why Bell finally released this update after such a long period of nonsupport....would really have liked to see and use WP8.1 MUCH earlier. Pretty sure this will be the last one we see... which is fine.

I also sent in a "news tip" to this site to see if it gets a main page mention for those Canadian owners that have given up checking for updates on their Ativ S T899M variant.

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I also sent a news tip, with additional information stating that those running DP will not get the firmware update unless they use a third party utility to roll back. No dice.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Wanted to say after using my Ativ S full time since doing the downgrade to 8.0/upgrade to 8.1, I have had absolutely no issues. Works flawlessly. Will be putting my 930 up for sale to get some extra cash and using the Ativ S until there is a Windows 10 phone. Honestly, the only thing I will miss is "hey Cortana", which I became addicted to.

Last edited:

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Wanted to say after using my Ativ S full time since doing the downgrade to 8.0/upgrade to 8.1, I have had absolutely no issues. Works flawlessly. Will be putting my 930 up for sale to get some extra cash and using the Ativ S until there is a Windows 10 upgrade. Honestly, the only thing I will miss is "hey Cortana", which I became addicted to.
  • Not having the ringtone change to default upon reboot is nice.
  • Not having the phone's name change to default upon reboot is also nice.
  • I've noticed some micro improvements since the change, but that could be due to a fresh install of the OS. Everything about the DP worked rather well minus the camera (oddly enough, through ProShot the camera never crashed once).
  • Perhaps in another 16 months, we'll get Windows 10 (I doubt it. This may be the last update to the phone.)

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
  • Not having the ringtone change to default upon reboot is nice.
  • Not having the phone's name change to default upon reboot is also nice.
  • I've noticed some micro improvements since the change, but that could be due to a fresh install of the OS. Everything about the DP worked rather well minus the camera (oddly enough, through ProShot the camera never crashed once).
  • Perhaps in another 16 months, we'll get Windows 10 (I doubt it. This may be the last update to the phone.)
If I never hear "over the horizon" again I will be happy:). I know I won't get Windows 10 on this phone, but it should last fine until the W10 phone are out.

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
It hasn't been my primary since last April since I imported a icon(which since denim it and its vzw siblings now have lte data/gsm voice/sms but drops to hspa & internet sharing doesn't work when set to lte) mainly kept it for anyplace tv. Out of curiosity once its upgraded is the option to move back to original carrier gone? Reason for asking is its not unlocked

Yesterday I got this text from Rogers "Rogers msg: Exclusive offer for owner! Upgrade to any of our most popular smartphones now on select 2-year plans and we will credit you the rest of your early upgrade fees of $___.__ as of Apr 21, 2015 and also waive the $20 Connection Fee! Call for more details, offer available only by phone 1 855 213-0837. Quote offer code UPGRADENOW to take advantage of this great deal. This offer is only available for (___)-___-____ until April 30th, 2015. To opt-out of Rogers text msgs reply STOP. Reach us at http://roge.rs/reachus"

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Wanted to say after using my Ativ S full time since doing the downgrade to 8.0/upgrade to 8.1, I have had absolutely no issues. Works flawlessly. Will be putting my 930 up for sale to get some extra cash and using the Ativ S until there is a Windows 10 phone. Honestly, the only thing I will miss is "hey Cortana", which I became addicted to.

Just the improvement in Bluetooth function makes this update shine. Connectivity and device support is way better. My general experience mirrors your own.

garrettmiami06

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

I just upgraded my Ativ S to 8.1. Everything works fine except for the fact that I'm unable to check for updates......I get the 80072f8f error. Verified that my date and time setting are correct, however, still no luck. Anyone else having this issue since their upgrade????

mdvision

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I just upgraded my Ativ S to 8.1. Everything works fine except for the fact that I'm unable to check for updates......I get the 80072f8f error. Verified that my date and time setting are correct, however, still no luck. Anyone else having this issue since their upgrade????

Here is a link with instructions. It involves changing "date and time" but advises to turn off the auto settings. Try turning auto off on both "date and time" and "time zone". Do a soft reset. Go back and set both of those manually. Turn off and restart phone. Check for updates. Not sure this will work but is worth trying. Others have remedied this as you mentioned by making sure those settings match your region. Good luck.

How to Fix Windows Phone Error 80072f8f While Software UpdateTechanges

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

Mine did this right after getting 8.1 after reverting to 8.0. Hard reset and it was fine the next day. Hopefully temporary for you. I got the exact same error code and now it's fine

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Mine did this right after getting 8.1 after reverting to 8.0. Hard reset and it was fine the next day. Hopefully temporary for you. I got the exact same error code and now it's fine

Interesting. I immediately did a reset once 8.1 was installed because I wanted to restore my backups. I wonder if I would have experienced this error, too.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Days after finally getting 8.1 w/firmware my Ativ S fell out of my pocket onto a concrete floor while i was 8 feet up on a ladder. Irreparably shattered. R.I.P. Little Ativ. Damn! What a great phone, though.

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Looks like rogers rom is live only took a half hour to install the prep update. Started installing 8.1 15mins. ago.
Dont remember having to read the new agreement when I updated my l929

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Yikes. Are you now without a phone?
I had already put my 930 up for sale on the marketplace. It hadn't sold so I had the mods close the thread. Now back using my 930, which is fine, but was looking forward to the extra cash from the sale. I don't know exactly why, but that Ativ S was my absolute favorite phone to use. I liked everything about it and would have been content to use it until I could afford a new flagship down the line.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss