Still a decent buy?

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
So, I have the opportunity to buy a used Ativ S for $150 (probably less) with a bunch of accessories and I'm, obviously, considering it. With that said, is the phone still a decent buy at that price?

I'm coming from a Lumia 520 and was planning on picking up a 730 or 830 sometime in the next couple of months, but this seems like a good deal and I don't really need the latest and greatest in a phone. Guess I have the "need-new-tech" itch as well... :)

Thanks.

RoyalX

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
You have to take it in consideration what do you want. What are you looking for in a mobile phone?
Specs/Camera/Battery/Memory/SD-Card/Accessory etc.

I don't know about the specs of the 830. But if it is better, than you have your answer.
Since the Ativ S is 2 years old now.

But we like our Ativ S nevertheless

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, guys.

I should have been clearer. I'm not concerned about the Ativ S vs 730/830.

Instead, the question is do you think a $150.00 Ativ S is a worthy upgrade from a 520?

Shiranui2012

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, guys.

I should have been clearer. I'm not concerned about the Ativ S vs 730/830.

Instead, the question is do you think a $150.00 Ativ S is a worthy upgrade from a 520?
I am considering a Samsung Ativ S as a second phone, my main phone is a Galaxy S4 (sold my Nokia Lumia 1520 (too big and scroll/tap issues, and it attracts greasy fingerprints too much compared to Samsungs Amoled screens, I have had 5 Lumia's all with issues that made me want to ditch them after a short while)
My Galaxy S4 (GT-i9505) is older than the Lumia 1520 but the S4 feels faster, yes, even with Touchwiz!
I do like Windows Phone 8 and want to have at least one handset but Nokia has not many models with SD card expansion slots. If the HTC One M8 for Windows was available in the UK I would have gone for that already!
I have always had Samsungs and others, like HTC and LG.
So to me the Samsung Ativ S is still a viable solution as it will still get Windows Phone 8.1 in the UK.
And despite it's age it will still beat a Nokia Lumia 520 or even a 820 easily. I have had the Lumia 820 for only a month or so, didn't like it due to it's weight and it's not particularly fast either.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Get it, you won't regret it for sure. I have just upgraded from 520 to Ativ S, few weeks for same price, see here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/samsung-ativ-s/319516-should-i-buy.html

I don't regret at all. No lag, haven't seen resume screen except for very demanding apps,very good battery life, amazing screen and there is 8.1.1 official update for grab before many Lumias. There are Here maps and drive, some camera apps to replace Lumia camera app. i would like a bit sharper camera, but who cares, it is still decent and much more than just usable. Don't know how are the prices at your place, but for that money (if it is in good condition) you won't find better bang for buck.

ShaneRay

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Ah well...

I decided against it. Think I'd be happier with a phone that will still get decent support for the next couple of years. Looks like carriers up here gave up on it a while back.

Thanks for the help, though, folks. :)

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
1. The Ativ S would definitely be a solid upgrade from a 520, and $150 isn't a bad price to get it.
2. The Ativ S isn't really much of a downgrade from the 830, and for one-third the 830's price, I'd actually take the Ativ. The 830 runs an inferior SoC, particularly in the form of a terrible GPU. The displays are similar in size and the same in resolution, so the only difference there would be interest in Glance. The camera, as it would be like the Galaxy S III's, is probably average, at best. It would do well in decent lighting, but poorly-lit areas photographed terribly on my brother-in-law's S III.

To sum up, and not go on another "why the 830 is arguably the worst Windows Phone 8 device released" rant, the Ativ S is a good upgrade from the 520, and the price is so cheap that there's no reason to look at the 730/830.

HKATIVS

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I have been using ATIV S since May 2013 and I recently updated it to WP 8.1 update 1.

Even though its a two year old hardware specs it is still smooth and responsive with WP 8.1 update 1. It definitely give the advanced spec Lumia 830 a run for it money.

I had considered upgrading to Lumia 830, as I had problems with updating my ATIV S previously. But now I have resolved the update issues I will be staying with my ATIV S.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon