Samsung, why do you dis-respect your customers?

Bob Deal

May 5, 2015
Visit site
Samsung, we've spent our hard-earned money on your product. It is inconceivable that the OS update has been out there for more than a year and still no word from Samsung about the Ativ-S I8750!
Don't sell a product if you don't intend to support it!

When will WP 8.1 be finally available for the I8750 ?!?!?!?

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
That is one of the reasons I moved away from Samsung Android phones, you might get a small upgrade when the phone is pretty new but their ongoing software support is very poor......

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
This is the exact same reason I moved from Samsung as well. I will now only buy Microsoft phones, tablets etc. I am on an asus tablet right now because I could not get surface pros in time for our vacation, but they have been really good. My wife and I will be getting 2 surface pro 3s soon tho.

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
hmm
My i8750 was updated 5 months ago. Ive got Wp 8.1 Update1 running without problems
the same goes for TM889

Just update your CSC or download the Preview for Developers.
YOU can do It.. if you want... If you dont want to then.. well then hate Samsung :D I had a Sony Xperia phone with Android. The SW support was only for 6 months, no word about Lolipop or 5.1 android.

anon(8208347)

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I thought all the Android device are supported for a short period of time regardless of its manufacturer??????
Some have better support than others, in theory there's nothing stopping a manufacturer supporting a device until it's hardware literally isn't up to spec, but few do. We've done comparatively well with the ATIV S; the S3 which was released around the same time has been left on Android 4.3 from 2013 on the international model, whereas we've got pretty much the latest version of WP.

ruddevil

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi Bob,

My Ativ S never gets beyond GDR2. The easiest way is to go with DP, no flashing required. However, there is some caveats. My Ativ S lost its ability to properly shutdown when battery level reached the minimum threshold, resulting in broken microSD after several occurrences. And I get the camera issue as well.

I learned a lesson the hard way, but rest assured, Ativ S will be the last Samsung product for me. Don't trust your hard-earned money on them. Never, ever.

Cheers!

finbaar

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi Bob,

My Ativ S never gets beyond GDR2. The easiest way is to go with DP, no flashing required. However, there is some caveats. My Ativ S lost its ability to properly shutdown when battery level reached the minimum threshold, resulting in broken microSD after several occurrences. And I get the camera issue as well.

I learned a lesson the hard way, but rest assured, Ativ S will be the last Samsung product for me. Don't trust your hard-earned money on them. Never, ever.

Cheers!

Did your Ativ S stop working on update 2? I would guess not. Samsung released stable firmware for your phone. We have no right to updates and we should never buy a device if we are not happy how it will perform out of the box.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

ruddevil

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Did your Ativ S stop working on update 2? I would guess not. Samsung released stable firmware for your phone. We have no right to updates and we should never buy a device if we are not happy how it will perform out of the box.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

It doesn't stop working, of course. But this type of support is no longer the norm in smartphone industry (no support after 1 year of purchase), especially for a flagship product.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
This was around last Christmas. I walked into Samsung outlet to check out the Ativ-S. The sales rep declared "this is the latest technology" .. it's the same as my colleague's 18month old Ativ-S ... both still on 8.0...

emiel1976

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
Samsung works on all platforms the same. They come with the latest os version and aster that they are the late to upgrade as there comes a new version.
I hoped that it was not a problem with win phone but it is the same as on android and even worse.
Last Samsung device I have bought.
I have now a Lumina 1020 and my ativ s I getting dust.
Now I wait for a new Lumina high end device and I will get that. Never a Samsung again. Htc if Ms stops with phones.

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Although I'm not a fan of samsung, I don't think it's samsung's falut on this issue.

The ATIV S hit the market at the end of 2012 which makes it a two-and-half years old device now. Considering the one-year warranty or even google's 18 months maintenance suggestion. A WP8.0 GDR3 or WP 8.1 is a proper point to reach and samsung did reach it. Now it even goes beyond that and stays a chance to go w10m. I don't see what can be blamed on samsung and you can't throw the stupid carrier-choose-not-to OTA update policy onto samsung's "bucket" list IMO. In my area the ATIV S stuck at WP8.0 GDR1 then I thought "bucket it" then flash GDR2 and change my region code and now I'm at 8.1.1 update awaiting for w10m. The stupid carrier-deside policy and lack of PC-sync tool was MSFT's responsibility and they keep the long-term maintenance on their lumia family is just to cover up the slow pace on software evolution and trying to keep users on board. Not a smart move if you ask me.....

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Samsung have a history of doing this to their devices - not quite as bad as HTC but they're up there. When it comes to WP and low end Android they seem to be an 'also ran' company.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb