Windows 10 for the Ativ S owners?

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Try "Dynamic Theme". I have just installed it, seems to work well!

Yes, got it last night and it looks better than "Dynamic Wallpaper" which I found it two days ago and couldn't do the auto change of lockscreen.....

Will observe how it works tonight!

BTW, updating to 14291 I had some heat/power drain issue going on with my ATIV S. The upper part around the camera module (where motherboard and SoC located) become very hot (maybe over 50 degree C on each surface) during web browsing and power drop significantly. I'll keep watching how this thing goes and trying to share some battery chart onto here.

rexD

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
I think that is not true, because on WP 8.0 and WP 8.1 Samsung Ativ S had Radio hardware version.

I think that radio hardware is not same as radio for listening music.

IMG_2968.jpg

assyriska

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
For updating to the new 14295.1000 build, I had to change my Samsung settings to:

PhoneManufacturer = MicrosoftMDG
PhoneModelName = Lumia 950 XL

PhoneHardwareVariant = RM-1085

Just changing the Phone Manufacturer didn't worked for me...( my phone was stuck on 14291)

Mike_Rh

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
14295 is fine so far from my point of view, no crashes and the performance is OK... however we have to talk about battery life, but this is already known :unhappysweat:

MikolFr

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
I tried to hard reset with the 14295 build and ... bad idea !

On restart process, when normally restore is done, no save found. I'm not connected to my Microsoft Account and no data are retrieved (contacts, sms, ...)

I cannot use the phone after a hard reset, it's very annoying. This 14295 is not good and I have to go back to 8.1 now :( Microsoft is a great shame.

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site

On restart process, when normally restore is done, no save found. I'm not connected to my Microsoft Account and no data are retrieved (contacts, sms, ...)

I cannot use the phone after a hard reset, it's very annoying. This 14295 is not good and I have to go back to 8.1 now :( Microsoft is a great shame.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/samsung-ativ-s/415481-windows-mobile-10-petition.html

you want to force international companies to work together just because a smartphone from 2012?
:-D

Come on, buy a new one or live with the bugs. WP10 isnt good enough on the Ativ S - as far as I remember I had a lot of trouble with the camera, overheating, battery life and many little bugs. Just move on and buy a Lumia 640XL or the new and very stylish 650 with full WP10 support

3 weeks with Windows mobile 10, no bugs, no overheat, battery life same as Windows 8 ... perhaps with previous releases, bugs were there but now, everything's ok. Smartphone of 2012 but still enough. It's a shame to garbage Ativ S and Pappale, no need of your support or unuseful comment.

:)

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

Sheeiiit! So you couldn't reestablish your Microsoft account in order to connect to the cloud and recover your settings? Also, did you reset registry values back to their defaults? Some stuff doesn't work properly unless you do this.

Last edited:

Bokkie

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Also, did you reset registry values back to their defaults? Some stuff doesn't work properly unless you do this.

This. Once it didn't recognize the backups as usable for my phone or something because of the Nokia/Samsung mismatch. Or at least, I thought this was the problem :)

Mitja358

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I thought my Ativ S is working just fine on Windows 10 Mobile, but when I tried father's Lumia 640 with W10M, I saw how fluid can W10M works. I will buy 650 when price drops a little.

Macco26

May 8, 2013
Visit site
@Mellow:
1) Is there a 3rd party photo app that allows you to fim a movie while having autofocus? Something like FullHD recording I mean.
2) What do you mean for blank screen after lock screen? Are you saying a totally black page, or a black page with something written on it indefinitely, for example "..Resuming.."?

anon(9839885)

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
2) What do you mean for blank screen after lock screen?
This has been reported many times in this thread, but to summarize :
Sometime (and I really mean not every time) when you use power button or home button to wake up the phone, the screen stays black.
You have to try many times to finally turn on the screen. OR you can hold the camera button for a few seconds (this wakes up the screen and launches camera app, then you just have to quit the app and you're back to lockscreen.)

1) Is there a 3rd party photo app that allows you to fim a movie while having autofocus? Something like FullHD recording I mean.
Unfortunately, there are not many video recording apps in the store, so I haven't found a real alternative for recording videos with clean autofocus (honestly I didn't search very much)

All I can do is share this 15 seconds 720p sample, recorded today with native camera app on my Ativ S
Is it so bad ? And is it completely without focus ? I let you judge...
(And remember that videos are re-encoded when uploading on youtube)

Anyway, for my use of video it is satisfying :wink:
But if you really need to take clean HD videos with your phone, I would recommend to stay on WP8.1

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
This thread has now been reopened. However, we need to stay on topic and discuss Windows 10 for the Ativ S, without any bickering/fighting with each other.

Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!
This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don?t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.
Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced Windows users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you?re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won?t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for Windows !

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
This has been reported many times in this thread, but to summarize :
Sometime (and I really mean not every time) when you use power button or home button to wake up the phone, the screen stays black.
You have to try many times to finally turn on the screen. OR you can hold the camera button for a few seconds (this wakes up the screen and launches camera app, then you just have to quit the app and you're back to lockscreen.)

Unfortunately, there are not many video recording apps in the store, so I haven't found a real alternative for recording videos with clean autofocus (honestly I didn't search very much)

All I can do is share this 15 seconds 720p sample, recorded today with native camera app on my Ativ S
Is it so bad ? And is it completely without focus ? I let you judge...
(And remember that videos are re-encoded when uploading on youtube)

Anyway, for my use of video it is satisfying :wink:
But if you really need to take clean HD videos with your phone, I would recommend to stay on WP8.1

https://youtu.be/KTFz5acy3RQ

Were you able to zoom in while shooting this video or are you just moving the phone?

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

So, are you going back to 10586.107? As you posted that it was working to your satisfaction. I don't think the Redstone versions will work well on ativ s since they are designed for newer phones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05