Windows 10 for the Ativ S owners?

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Lastly: what problems did you have with the sms? As of now it seems that I cannot receive sms, but I can send them when my device reboots. This happened after a clean install of w10m and redstone doesn't seem to have fixed that. Funny thing is that when I change the sim card all the sms are there, even the one on the other sim....did you solve your sms problem after the hard reset? If so I think I'll do mine quite soon....

There is definitely something wrong with SMS. 14393.5 and earlier threshold/RT builds have a problem with sending and receiving. Also, delivery confirmation does not work. As you mentioned, rebooting the phone sends the message. As a matter of fact, every time the phone is rebooted, it sends the same messages!

Also, there's a BT bug. When attempting to turn off BT in the notification area, the screen goes dim, then completely black.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
There is definitely something wrong with SMS. 14393.5 and earlier threshold/RT builds have a problem with sending and receiving. Also, delivery confirmation does not work. As you mentioned, rebooting the phone sends the message. As a matter of fact, every time the phone is rebooted, it sends the same messages!

Does the hard reset solve this?

MadMabry

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Hi! I don't have the APN problem, but as someone already mentioned it is a thing that happens apparently...I don't know if I can post link in this forum, but if you look online for drwindows there is a german forum where a user has your problem, but I don't think he fixed it though. Maybe before changing the CSC you could try with another hard reset?

As for your device info, there are app easily deployable that give you access to the registry in w10m (instead of the tedious workaround you needed to do in wp8.1) and I suggest you to do that because I don't think you will receive updates unless your phone pretends to be a lumia (I might be wrong, when I was on the official w10m branch I had updates anyway, but we are still on insider right now until the 2nd and I don't know how they will handle it after that date).

Lastly: what problems did you have with the sms? As of now it seems that I cannot receive sms, but I can send them when my device reboots. This happened after a clean install of w10m and redstone doesn't seem to have fixed that. Funny thing is that when I change the sim card all the sms are there, even the one on the other sim....did you solve your sms problem after the hard reset? If so I think I'll do mine quite soon....

I've seen that forum-post, yes. For now, I'm waiting a bit longer (need my phone to work). There seems to be a small update, 14393.5, and as it was released to the Release Preview ring this might become the next major public release... I haven't been able to download it even though I changed the registry to "Nokia" but I guess I'll try this one before doing a hard reset.

The thing with the SMS was similiar to yours, the messages were only send after restart (and then the same messages were send again after the next restart and so on). I didn't try to change to manually set time and date (it seems to have helped some people and I remember that the sms were missing a date and time in the notifications app) because I didn't know of that solution at the time. Hard reset solved the problem for me, anyhow.

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I've seen that forum-post, yes. For now, I'm waiting a bit longer (need my phone to work). There seems to be a small update, 14393.5, and as it was released to the Release Preview ring this might become the next major public release... I haven't been able to download it even though I changed the registry to "Nokia" but I guess I'll try this one before doing a hard reset.

The thing with the SMS was similiar to yours, the messages were only send after restart (and then the same messages were send again after the next restart and so on). I didn't try to change to manually set time and date (it seems to have helped some people and I remember that the sms were missing a date and time in the notifications app) because I didn't know of that solution at the time. Hard reset solved the problem for me, anyhow.

Good to know about the hard reset, thanks!! I will surely do one after the official release :) Anyway, it's not like w10m, to get back into the insider ring you need to change more values. Here are the ones that worked for me

HKLM\SYSTEM\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo
PhoneManufacturer = MicrosoftMDG
PhoneModelName = Lumia 950 XL
PhoneHardwareVariant = RM-1085
PhoneManufacturerModelName to RM-1085

Also, take not of your original ones if you ever need them (I paste mine here, just for reference)

* PhoneManufacturer ? SAMSUNG
* PhoneManufacturerModelName ? GT-I8750
* PhoneModelName ? GT-I8750
* PhoneHardwareVariant ? GT-I8750

Hope that helps!

MadMabry

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Good to know about the hard reset, thanks!! I will surely do one after the official release :) Anyway, it's not like w10m, to get back into the insider ring you need to change more values. Here are the ones that worked for me

Also, take not of your original ones if you ever need them (I paste mine here, just for reference)

* PhoneManufacturer – SAMSUNG
* PhoneManufacturerModelName – GT-I8750
* PhoneModelName – GT-I8750
* PhoneHardwareVariant – GT-I8750

Hope that helps!

Thanks! I changed all those values for the upgrade from 8.1 to 10 and thought they weren't needed once you've done that... seems to be just the other way around ;-) Might do some updating tomorrow and report how it develops with the APN problem...

Lorenzo Baroni

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site

* PhoneManufacturer ? SAMSUNG
* PhoneManufacturerModelName ? GT-I8750
* PhoneModelName ? GT-I8750
* PhoneHardwareVariant ? GT-I8750

Hope that helps!

Ciao Ferdinando, io sono attualmente su 10586.494.
Se volessi installare redstone devo prima tornare a 8.1?
Grazie

Last edited:

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,
What's the option that you need to select in Windows Insider app to enroll in RS1 builds? Sadly, I couldn't manage to find this out in this thread.
I mean, registry changes aside, which one of the three available options in the Windows Insider you need to select to get Redstone 14XXX builds through Windows Update?
Will Insider Fast do the trick?

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue at TH2. Soft reset solved problem.

Me too. I've had issues with not being able to receive text messages and having issues sending them (the phone had always been sending the last SMS after a restart). That was in early builds like 10.0.10586.107 or so. Resetting the phone from Settings|System|About has helped to solve the problem.

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Ciao Ferdinando, io sono attualmente su 10586.494.
Se volessi installare redstone devo prima tornare a 8.1?
Grazie

Ita:
Ciao, no, basta che modifichi i valori che ho scritto e avvii windows insider.

Eng:
Hi, no, you just need to modify the values I've posted and subscribe to windows insider

(the question was about upgrading to redstone from w10m if he needed to go back to 8.1 or not.)

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Me too. I've had issues with not being able to receive text messages and having issues sending them (the phone had always been sending the last SMS after a restart). That was in early builds like 10.0.10586.107 or so. Resetting the phone from Settings|System|About has helped to solve the problem.

Cheers, I will reset my phone the day after tomorrow, when redstone will be out officially. To get redstone builds you can be in either insider fast or insider slow (go to fast to get the latest 14393.5, which works great). After that I suggest you to switch to release preview in order not to get the redstone 2 builds which will most likely start to come next week or in the future ones.

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Originally posted by Ferdinando Valsecchi
Originally Posted by Exotic Hadron

Cheers, I will reset my phone the day after tomorrow, when redstone will be out officially. To get redstone builds you can be in either insider fast or insider slow (go to fast to get the latest 14393.5, which works great). After that I suggest you to switch to release preview in order not to get the redstone 2 builds which will most likely start to come next week or in the future ones.
So glad it finally works well!! :) I just need to know whether that brightness bug is present and if not im joining you guys :) I have to report that i have never had a single problem with SMS and APN and i havent even done hard reset since 8.1

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
So glad it finally works well!! :) I just need to know whether that brightness bug is present and if not im joining you guys :) I have to report that i have never had a single problem with SMS and APN and i havent even done hard reset since 8.1

I haven't tried yet, I guess it's present though. Anyway you can just use the slider to change it to a darker setting instead the stepped controls in the quick action panel. To access the slider you just tap and hold on the brightness tile and it will redirect you automatically to the settings page, so for me there is really no difference..

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,
What's the option that you need to select in Windows Insider app to enroll in RS1 builds? Sadly, I couldn't manage to find this out in this thread.
I mean, registry changes aside, which one of the three available options in the Windows Insider you need to select to get Redstone 14XXX builds through Windows Update?
Will Insider Fast do the trick?

You can try:

PhoneManufacturer = NOKIA
PhoneModelName = Lumia 640 XL
PhoneManufacturerModelName = Lumia 640 XL

I chose the Preview Release option.

Anyone know how to recover the lock screen registry tweaks used in WP8.1? I had them working on 10 but had to do a hard reset and lost them... damn.

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
You can try:

PhoneManufacturer = NOKIA
PhoneModelName = Lumia 640 XL
PhoneManufacturerModelName = Lumia 640 XL

I chose the Preview Release option.

Anyone know how to recover the lock screen registry tweaks used in WP8.1? I had them working on 10 but had to do a hard reset and lost them... damn.

You mean you need an app to hack the registry? Try deploying Interop Tools, you shouldn't even need to have interop unlocked your phone. You can find it on xda. From there you can modify the registry and set the lock screen to never again:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEControlPanelLock] “DisableNever”=dword:0

(Is this the feature you were looking for?)

Otherwise I believe that CustomPFD can now be deployed using a computer (still not needing interop unlock). Interop Tools can be installed directly form the phone (email it to yourself or put it on onedrive, latest version of IT is 1.7 beta, latest CPFD is 6 I think).

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Originally posted by Ferdinando Valsecchi
Originally Posted by megadragon998

I haven't tried yet, I guess it's present though. Anyway you can just use the slider to change it to a darker setting instead the stepped controls in the quick action panel. To access the slider you just tap and hold on the brightness tile and it will redirect you automatically to the settings page, so for me there is really no difference..
Thanks, ill probably install after official RTM release :)

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
You mean you need an app to hack the registry? Try deploying Interop Tools, you shouldn't even need to have interop unlocked your phone. You can find it on xda. From there you can modify the registry and set the lock screen to never again:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEControlPanelLock] “DisableNever”=dword:0

(Is this the feature you were looking for?)

Otherwise I believe that CustomPFD can now be deployed using a computer (still not needing interop unlock). Interop Tools can be installed directly form the phone (email it to yourself or put it on onedrive, latest version of IT is 1.7 beta, latest CPFD is 6 I think).

Ciao Ferdinando, CustomPFD is only good if you can install Preview for Developers which is now no longer available in the store. I have Interop Tools installed but [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEControlPanelLock] hive key isn't listed in my registry. Do you have to create it?

BTW, the SMS problem can be fixed by hard resetting the phone. I did step change the brightness in quick action panel and ended up with a black screen. The only way to recover is a hard reset! Anyway, it all worked out for the better since the hard reset fixed the SMS problems...

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Ciao Ferdinando, CustomPFD is only good if you can install Preview for Developers which is now no longer available in the store. I have Interop Tools installed but [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINEControlPanelLock] hive key isn't listed in my registry. Do you have to create it?

BTW, the SMS problem can be fixed by hard resetting the phone. I did step change the brightness in quick action panel and ended up with a black screen. The only way to recover is a hard reset! Anyway, it all worked out for the better since the hard reset fixed the SMS problems...

The latest version of CostumPFD does not require to be nested in Preview for Developers anymore! :) I found that key on a website, but I cannot find it on my device either. I never tried to change the lockscreen, so I wouldn't know where it would be. Have you tried looking on xda for the complete list of customizations you can do with access to registry?

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
can you post a step by step guide how to change the registry with this new 06 PFD??? I want to check WP10 Anniversary on Ativ S but the old solution isnt working.

sure, but do you have custompfd already installed? If so it works just like the previous version, slide until you find the registry tree (should be one page right after you open the app) and navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo (ignore the fact that it says "you cannot write here", once you are inside the section we are interested you will be able to write there).

Once there, select the following keys one by one and change the values, for example in the first one change it from SAMSUNG to MicrosoftMDG. Upper and lower cases are important, so pay attention. Also, I suggest you to take note of the original ones before you change them.

If you don't have custompfd installed then you need to deploy from a windows computer using the official deployment .exe program. You can find it on xda or many other forums (again, I don't know if we are allowed to post links in this forum, if you don't find it fire me a pm and I'll send you a link).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb