01-04-2018 11:29 AM
717 ... 45678 ...
tools
    10586 works awesome on my brothers Ativ S. I did flash new FW grozaman posted. I think performance may even be better than on my Lumia 735, except locckscreen sometime shows 2-3 seconds later which isn't present on Lumia.
    Had some trouble with APN, didn't wanted to work, changing, editing, switching to auto, and somehow it started working suddenly, have no idea how :D
    Also, after hard reset after upgrade on introduction screens there was flickering on display and couldn't find WiFi networks, but after simple restart it came back to normal.
    Overall, it works really nice, much better than expected.
    11-20-2015 12:21 PM
    Sorry for the deluge of questions but after reading through the forums I am still confused on a few things...

Firmware
    • Is it necessary or highly recommended to update the firmware on our device before upgrading to 8.1.15xxx or 10?
    • Is firmware device specific? (eg. I have a Telus T899M with current firmware 2212.13.11.2)
    • If device specific, where is there a repository of all Ativ S firmware upgrades? (Grozman's Yandex drive has some I know)

Hard Reset
    • When is a hard reset necessary in the upgrade process?
    • Is there a button combination to easily do so?

Registry
    • I installed Preview for Developers onto my SD card from the Store by assigning it to install new apps to SD card.
    • After installing, I deployed the CustomWPSsystem-0500 XAP to my phone.
    • After specifying the location of the Preview App and the location of the CustomPFD-0.3 XAP I am unable to edit the registry (bad permissions). Am I doing something wrong?
    • Grozamans "HIGHSCREEN" manufacturer entry... Will that install the correct software for ALL global variants of the Ativ S (minus the neo)?

Other
    • What is this ATO-CSC I read so much about?
    • When should I hard reset a Windows Phone 10 installation?
    • What I'd the process to roll back to WP8.1.15XXX if I don't like WP10?

Thank you all so much! It's incredible to be a part of a community of supporting individuals that like the Ativ S as much as I do.
    Last edited by sudoplant; 11-20-2015 at 01:35 PM. Reason: grammar and punctuation
    11-20-2015 12:54 PM
    Sorry for the deluge of questions but after reading through the forums I am still confused on a few things...

Thank you all so much! It's incredible to be a part of a community of supporting individuals that like the Ativ S as much as I do.
    I dont have time to answer all your questions just 2 things:

1. Samsung Ativ S (i8750) is not the same as Samsung Ativ S (t899m)
    2. just dont do it because you will brick your phone
    sudoplant likes this.
    11-20-2015 07:01 PM
    Hey, here are some answers:

Firmware
    • It is not necessary, Windows 10 won't refuse to install if your firmware is not up to date. But, you may encounter error if you don't update your firmware before upgrading to Windows 10 Mobile. Upgrading with firmware that are not up to date can lead to a bricked phone, errors during the installation process.. Even if you succeed in installing with an out of date firmware, Windows 10 Mobile may not work as good as it should on your device. Note that it won't anyway because Samsung hasn't released official firmware for Windows 10 Mobile.
      Bottom line: update your firmware if you're going after Windows 10 Mobile.
    • Yes, a firmware is specific to a device model.
    • You may find a ROM for the T899M on XDA Developers. But remember, if you downgrade from Windows 10 Mobile, use SMD Binary Downloader 3.54.

Hard reset
    • It is not necessary but it's highly recommended to avoid random errors. You should hard reset your phone after the Windows 10 Mobile upgrade completion.
    • No need for key combination: just go in Settings > About > Reset my phone.

Registry
    • Are you unable to open the application or to edit the registry?
    • What do you mean by "Will that install the correct software for ALL global variants of the Ativ S (minus the neo)"?

Other
    • CSC stands for Country Service Code. I may be wrong but for me it is mostly a way to indicate which carrier has sold the device and in which country it should be used. It also during the updates/upgrades deployment: it allows manufacturer to deliver an update for a specific country and/or carrier. The ATO-CSC refers to Austria. In the Ativ S case, this CSC always receives the updates/upgrades first.
    • After the installation. Make sure to backup you data.
    • Enter the WP8 Download mode and use SMD Binary Downloader v3.54 to flash a new ROM. Don't flash a GT-I8750 ROM on your T899M !
    sudoplant likes this.
    11-20-2015 07:59 PM
    Also I have upgraded to Windows 10.
    Just wanted to say that Windows camera is not focusing.
    I decided to buy Proshot, but first I wanted to try some other app.
    I tried HDR Photo and Camera360 Sight, with both the focus works.
    I can recommend Camera360 Sight, it seems a good camera, has autofocus and it's free.
    11-21-2015 05:22 AM
    I also have upgraded to Windows 10.

For the first time since becoming a WP user I am not so happy about the direction the OS is going.
    I hope I am wrong.
    11-21-2015 06:25 PM
    I have installed W10M on my ATIV. As many said the default windows camera, is the only one which doesn't focus. Which ofc is a drawback having a physical camera button. Battery life after some tweaking is similar or equal. The vibration on the capacitive keys doesn't work neither, touching them w/o vibration makes the phones feel slower. Like there is no response to our actions. However the overall windows experience isn't slow. Its slower than WP8.1 but we have to understand that what we bought as flagship three years ago is a nowadays low-end, at least in raw performance. W10 comes with a lot of advantages for ur ATIV S. Among them for me the best one is MS Edge. IE was too old. And I had problems loading certain websites. For example www .vueling.es which now i can open on my ATIV. The menus are better organized, i find easier to access to where i want now than with an OS that i have used for 2 years... If you take into account how does the last S.O works on a 3 years old device. (iPhone 4s on last ios...) and that most of phones do not have the chance to get such an update even after 1 year... I think we are quite lucky.
    Last edited by Rimil0uz; 12-09-2015 at 02:01 AM.
    Tien-Lin Chang likes this.
    11-22-2015 10:55 AM
    I have installed W10M on my ATIV. As many said the default windows camera, is the only one which don't focus. Which ofc is a drawback having a physical camera button. Battery life after some tweaking is similar or equal. The vibration on the capacitive keys doesn't work neither, touching them w/o vibration makes the phones feel slower. Like there is no response to our actions. However the overall windows experience isn't slow. Its slower than WP8.1 but we have to understand that what we bought as flagship three years ago is a nowadays low-end, at least in raw performance. W10 comes with a lot of advantages for ur ATIV S. Among them for me the best one is MS Edge. IE was too old. And I had problems loading certain websites. For example www .vueling.es which now i can open on my ATIV. The menus are better organized, i find easier to access to where i want now than with an OS that i have used for 2 years... If you take into account how does the last S.O works on a 3 years old device. (iPhone 4s on last ios...) and that most of phones do not have the chance to get such an update even after 1 year... I think we are quite lucky.

I agree with you on all, but I don't think W10M is slower than 8.1 on our Ativ. I am really satisfied.
    11-22-2015 03:43 PM
    So, I called the Samsung France technical support today and here's what I was told:
    "We've received a note stating that Samsung is working with Microsoft to bring an update for a few WP devices."
    This doesn't mean our Ativ S will receive W10M but it's something. :P
    lukas_ita likes this.
    11-23-2015 02:19 AM
    Hi, I've updated to 10586, to set apn you have to go network setting, not advanced apn, also focus is disabled by default, you can enable it by settings auto on camera settings. The os is smooth, camera is laggy
    11-23-2015 04:17 AM
    Hi, I've updated to 10586, to set apn you have to go network setting, not advanced apn, also focus is disabled by default, you can enable it by settings auto on camera settings. The os is smooth, camera is laggy
    Where is that setting? I can't see it.
    11-23-2015 11:47 AM
    Where is that setting? I can't see it.
    Press and hold Data from top menu, then on bottom "Sim setting" -> "APN internet"

There is a way to disable one handed mode?
    11-23-2015 12:52 PM
    I bet Dusan means the camera focus setting...
    Dusan Randj likes this.
    11-23-2015 02:47 PM
    Press and hold Data from top menu, then on bottom "Sim setting" -> "APN internet"

There is a way to disable one handed mode?
    Sorry, I was thinking about focus/autofocus in camera.
    11-23-2015 08:54 PM
    I thought you needed apn settings because you had some trouble to set apn.
    To enable focus just open default camera then tap on the 3 points in the top-right corner, scroll down and you will see "focus mode" "messa a fuoco" on screenshot (disable by default)

wp_ss_20151124_0001.png
    Last edited by ronfante; 11-24-2015 at 05:18 AM.
    Dusan Randj likes this.
    11-24-2015 04:53 AM
    Really strange! instead of "focus mode", I have "lumire MAP" which seems to be a parameter relative to the flash... (version 2015.1088.21.0)
    What is your Camera version ?
    11-24-2015 11:08 AM
    I thought you needed apn settings because you had some trouble to set apn.
    To enable focus just open default camera then tap on the 3 points in the top-right corner, scroll down and you will see "focus mode" "messa a fuoco" on screenshot (disable by default)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20151124_0001.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	924.6 KB 
ID:	117269
    On my brother's phone there is on that place "focus light" settings. App version is 2015.1088.21.0

What FW are you on? I8750, right?
    11-24-2015 12:48 PM
    Really strange! instead of "focus mode", I have "lumire MAP" which seems to be a parameter relative to the flash... (version 2015.1088.21.0)
    What is your Camera version ?
    Same here. And my Camera application is up to date.
    Note that my phone language is also French.
    11-24-2015 01:14 PM
    Thanks for the helpful response guys. To recap, there are no device specific instructions for installing Windows 10, but I need to worry about them when upgrading firmware or downgrading back to WP8.X. Can I use the samwp8 tool by WOLF to edit the registry from my computer (since I'm having problems using CustomWPS)? Also, can I back up the current T899M ROM image on my phone and use the SMD binary tool to flash it back if I want to revert to 8.x?

Dusan Randj, Is that a Flip Flop on your homework page? :) You look like another fellow Electrical Engineering student.
    Last edited by sudoplant; 11-24-2015 at 02:29 PM.
    11-24-2015 02:13 PM
    Camera 360 Sight or Proshot are ok for focus.
    We just need a new update of Windows Mobile 10 which solve the "camera button" bug.
    Direction: parameters / peripheral device (Priphriques) / Default camera (Appareil photo par dfaut)/ Choose an app as default cam soft (Choisir une application d 'appareil photo par dfaut)) .
    By this moment we will just affect another app such as Camer 360 Sight to the camera button ;)
    11-24-2015 02:20 PM
    Dusan Randj, Is that a Flip Flop on your homework page? :) You look like another fellow Electrical Engineering student.

Will be giving the upgrade a try this weekend on my T899M. I'll post a video review if it works.
    I seriously have no idea what are you talking about, my English isn't very good :D
    don't know what is homework page here, but if you are refering to my avatar, it isn't mine picture, it's actually local viral video hero. :D
    But yes, I was studying some kinda Electrical course (PC tehnician) is higchool, but now in college I'm at course of Engineer of Living Enviorment Protection :)
    11-24-2015 02:26 PM
    Is it possible to Interop Unlock Sasmung Ativ S on Windows 10 10586 build? If yes, how?
    I can change registry with Root Tool 2.0, but no Interop Unlock.

Thanks for help!
    11-26-2015 03:51 AM
    Found a glimmer of hope on twitter:
    https:// twitter.com/SamsungMobileUK/status/669908448843272192
    vikz95 likes this.
    11-26-2015 10:02 AM
    from a microsoft perspective:
    twitter.com/MicrosoftHelps/status/664648176691974144
    11-26-2015 10:52 AM
    from a microsoft perspective:
    twitter.com/MicrosoftHelps/status/664648176691974144
    Well, we already knew MS would provide the image to OEMs. The question is if and when Samsung will get around to making it available to their end users.
    Based on recent rumors and bits of information, it seems they (Samsung) are completely unaware of anything relating ATIV S in some country's while in other country's they are hinting at, or confirming te be working on, W10M for the ATIV S. The natural followup question of course is which version(s) of the ATIV S will get the update. (i.e. GT-I8750ALA**, T899M, S Neo, SE)
    11-27-2015 05:26 AM
717 ... 45678 ...