Windows 10 for the Ativ S owners?

LimeSoda

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I know there is a firmware update thread but that has got too long now. So lets discuss Windows 10 mobile here. Anyone managed to successfully run Windows 10 mobile on the brilliant Ativ S? What will windows 10 give us Ativ S owners? I assume we will get it once we get to RTM?

anon(9600179)

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Hey,

I successfully managed to update to the Windows Mobile 10 build 10512. However, I'm facing the same problem that I encountered on the build 10166 : I unable to do a complete hard reset. Every time I try to I face what Gabriel named the "app migration error" : I end up with an empty system : no store, no settings. Only a few applications like Skype, Now, Storage... :S

NB : The update process works fine but I'd really like to do a hard reset.

lukas_ita

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Hey,

I successfully managed to update to the Windows Mobile 10 build 10512. However, I'm facing the same problem that I encountered on the build 10166 : I unable to do a complete hard reset. Every time I try to I face what Gabriel named the "app migration error" : I end up with an empty system : no store, no settings. Only a few applications like Skype, Now, Storage... :S

NB : The update process works fine but I'd really like to do a hard reset.

Try hard reset by button keys....search on Youtube for a guide 😉

anon(9600179)

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Already tried. Here is what I tried one week after the 10166 build was released :
- Flash and update from GDR3 to 8.1 (FW 15.3.2)
- Update to build 10166
- Hard reset from settings
-- No settings, no store
- Hard reset using hardware method (keys combination at boot)
-- No settings, no store
- Hard reset using hardware method
-- No settings, no store

Fine, let's go back to 8.1 :
- Flash and update from GDR3 to 8.1 (FW 15.3.2)
- Update to build 10166
- After a 2 days on it, issues appear with the Groove Music application
- Hard reset from settings
-- No settings, no store
- One more using hardware method ?
-- No settings, no store

8.1 it is ! 8D

As i said, I have the same problem with build 10512.
All through the above processes described above I (not every time) put the phone (while reseting) in the freezer because it was very hot. I, sometimes, ended up with a few more applications installed but I was still missing the settings and the store.
Each time during the reseting process, the progress bar stops at ~1/4.Then the phone reboot and I get the Welcome screen...

One thing I haven't tried is reseting first using the hardware method first. I will give it a try later (depends on how buggy is the build after the update on my Ativ S).

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Already tried. Here is what I tried one week after the 10166 build was released :
One thing I haven't tried is reseting first using the hardware method first. I will give it a try later (depends on how buggy is the build after the update on my Ativ S).

ok, let me ask a simple question... WHY are you doing this? You can only brick your phone and loose time because WP10 wont work as it should on Ativ S. Its useless

anon(9600179)

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I don't have any particular reason, I just enjoy trying to tweak PC, phones...
I might brick my phone one day, but I already have a backup device and plans to buy a new one (I'm just waiting for the new flagships).
And Windows Mobile 10 works pretty well on the Ativ S. I haven't encountered any serious bug.

lukas_ita

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
I don't have any particular reason, I just enjoy trying to tweak PC, phones...
I might brick my phone one day, but I already have a backup device and plans to buy a new one (I'm just waiting for the new flagships).
And Windows Mobile 10 works pretty well on the Ativ S. I haven't encountered any serious bug.

What version of flashtool are you using?

anon(9600179)

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
> Pappale
Yes, but for the Ativ S, Windows 10 Mobile works pretty fine if we exclude the preview bugs. I think the upgrade limitation will be related to Samsung limited support.

> reem zedek
The Ativ S is not officialy part of the Insider Program and Windows 10 Mobile is not out yet. You can upgrade your Ativ S to preview builds by faking your phone model and using Windows Insider program.

Tony Saragosa

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
The Ativ S has more then 4 GB of storage space.
So that will not be a limitation of the upgrade on the Ativ S.
Neither will RAM, as some Lumia's that are currently supported have 512MB, which is half less then the Ativ S.
I see no real limitations that would cut out the Ativ S, its higher end then some of the Nokia's that are supported ATM.
Don't cut the Ativ S out yet, the only thing that might cut the phone out from upgrading to Mobile 10, is Samsung.

reem zedek

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
> Pappale
Yes, but for the Ativ S, Windows 10 Mobile works pretty fine if we exclude the preview bugs. I think the upgrade limitation will be related to Samsung limited support.

> reem zedek
The Ativ S is not officialy part of the Insider Program and Windows 10 Mobile is not out yet. You can upgrade your Ativ S to preview builds by faking your phone model and using Windows Insider program.

How can I fake my phone model? I tried the guide with Lumia 635 ( or same.. Don't remember) and its not working.. Can you send me a link to another guide??

anon(9600179)

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
How can I fake my phone model? I tried the guide with Lumia 635 ( or same.. Don't remember) and its not working.. Can you send me a link to another guide??

I won't give you a link because you can find it if you know where to look.
Plus, Windows 10 Mobile is still at a preview stage and the Samsung Ativ S is not officially supported. So if you can't find how to install it by yourself on your Ativ S, this preview is not for you.
Sorry.

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
The ATIV S is nearly three years old. Samsung would have to put in support for an aging device in order to properly run Windows 10. People with an ATIV S should not expect an official upgrade to Windows 10. This isn't like installing the 8.1 preview on an 8.0 device; Windows 10 will not function on your phone as is.

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
The ATIV S is nearly three years old. Samsung would have to put in support for an aging device in order to properly run Windows 10. People with an ATIV S should not expect an official upgrade to Windows 10. This isn't like installing the 8.1 preview on an 8.0 device; Windows 10 will not function on your phone as is.

I can only agree with you

lukas_ita

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
MS is going to release e new build with a lot bug fixes today or tomorrow. Will someone try it, if yes can he say how Ativ works??
Sent from my Ativ S with Tapatalk 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte