Windows 10 for the Ativ S owners?

assyriska

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Install Preview for Developers on the SD card
Install Windows Insider application on the phone storage
Using Windows Phone Application Deployment 8.1: install CustomWPSystem_0500.xap on the phone storage

did you go this way?

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Yes I'm sure I put everything in the right place. Actually it worked once and bring me from .200 to .341 then I reset it and do the same again it just jump back to the app list right after I pressed the apply zap button.

lukas_ita

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Yes I'm sure I put everything in the right place. Actually it worked once and bring me from .200 to .341 then I reset it and do the same again it just jump back to the app list right after I pressed the apply zap button.

Try with an other version of CutimPFD... 005 ex.

Do you have problems with offline maps? I changed registry keys for install them on SD card on 8.1 but now it doesnt work. I haven t hard reseted

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Try with an other version of CutimPFD... 005 ex.

Do you have problems with offline maps? I changed registry keys for install them on SD card on 8.1 but now it doesnt work. I haven t hard reseted
I tried to deploy CustomWPSystem_0500.xap or CustomWPSystem_0600.xap, same result.

Tried CustomPFD_0003.xap or CustomPFD_0005.xap from phone/SD card, no luck. The app seems just directly closed then eject me to the app list.

UPDATE : Finally solve it, I think it's due to my SDK is still version 8.0. I change to depoly the CustomWPSystem_0500.xap by Windows Phone Power Tools then the patch jst goes well. Now installing 10586.11, really hope there's noticable performance improvement over 10536.

I just download the offline maps(two countries) into my SD card and it goes well, I'll test it during this weekend in Macau.

Last edited:

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
10586 works awesome on my brothers Ativ S. I did flash new FW grozaman posted. I think performance may even be better than on my Lumia 735, except locckscreen sometime shows 2-3 seconds later which isn't present on Lumia.
Had some trouble with APN, didn't wanted to work, changing, editing, switching to auto, and somehow it started working suddenly, have no idea how :D
Also, after hard reset after upgrade on introduction screens there was flickering on display and couldn't find WiFi networks, but after simple restart it came back to normal.
Overall, it works really nice, much better than expected.

sudoplant

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Sorry for the deluge of questions but after reading through the forums I am still confused on a few things...

Firmware
  • Is it necessary or highly recommended to update the firmware on our device before upgrading to 8.1.15xxx or 10?
  • Is firmware device specific? (eg. I have a Telus T899M with current firmware 2212.13.11.2)
  • If device specific, where is there a repository of all Ativ S firmware upgrades? (Grozman's Yandex drive has some I know)
Hard Reset
  • When is a hard reset necessary in the upgrade process?
  • Is there a button combination to easily do so?
Registry
  • I installed Preview for Developers onto my SD card from the Store by assigning it to install new apps to SD card.
  • After installing, I deployed the CustomWPSsystem-0500 XAP to my phone.
  • After specifying the location of the Preview App and the location of the CustomPFD-0.3 XAP I am unable to edit the registry (bad permissions). Am I doing something wrong?
  • Grozamans "HIGHSCREEN" manufacturer entry... Will that install the correct software for ALL global variants of the Ativ S (minus the neo)?
Other
  • What is this ATO-CSC I read so much about?
  • When should I hard reset a Windows Phone 10 installation?
  • What I'd the process to roll back to WP8.1.15XXX if I don't like WP10?

Thank you all so much! It's incredible to be a part of a community of supporting individuals that like the Ativ S as much as I do.

Last edited:

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the deluge of questions but after reading through the forums I am still confused on a few things...

Thank you all so much! It's incredible to be a part of a community of supporting individuals that like the Ativ S as much as I do.

I dont have time to answer all your questions just 2 things:

1. Samsung Ativ S (i8750) is not the same as Samsung Ativ S (t899m)
2. just dont do it because you will brick your phone

anon(9600179)

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Hey, here are some answers:

Firmware
  • It is not necessary, Windows 10 won't refuse to install if your firmware is not up to date. But, you may encounter error if you don't update your firmware before upgrading to Windows 10 Mobile. Upgrading with firmware that are not up to date can lead to a bricked phone, errors during the installation process.. Even if you succeed in installing with an out of date firmware, Windows 10 Mobile may not work as good as it should on your device. Note that it won't anyway because Samsung hasn't released official firmware for Windows 10 Mobile.
    Bottom line: update your firmware if you're going after Windows 10 Mobile.
  • Yes, a firmware is specific to a device model.
  • You may find a ROM for the T899M on XDA Developers. But remember, if you downgrade from Windows 10 Mobile, use SMD Binary Downloader 3.54.
Hard reset
  • It is not necessary but it's highly recommended to avoid random errors. You should hard reset your phone after the Windows 10 Mobile upgrade completion.
  • No need for key combination: just go in Settings > About > Reset my phone.
Registry
  • Are you unable to open the application or to edit the registry?
  • What do you mean by "Will that install the correct software for ALL global variants of the Ativ S (minus the neo)"?
Other
  • CSC stands for Country Service Code. I may be wrong but for me it is mostly a way to indicate which carrier has sold the device and in which country it should be used. It also during the updates/upgrades deployment: it allows manufacturer to deliver an update for a specific country and/or carrier. The ATO-CSC refers to Austria. In the Ativ S case, this CSC always receives the updates/upgrades first.
  • After the installation. Make sure to backup you data.
  • Enter the WP8 Download mode and use SMD Binary Downloader v3.54 to flash a new ROM. Don't flash a GT-I8750 ROM on your T899M !

vikz95

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Also I have upgraded to Windows 10.
Just wanted to say that Windows camera is not focusing.
I decided to buy Proshot, but first I wanted to try some other app.
I tried HDR Photo and Camera360 Sight, with both the focus works.
I can recommend Camera360 Sight, it seems a good camera, has autofocus and it's free.

Dragone

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I also have upgraded to Windows 10.

For the first time since becoming a WP user I am not so happy about the direction the OS is going.
I hope I am wrong.

Rimil0uz

May 29, 2015
Visit site
I have installed W10M on my ATIV. As many said the default windows camera, is the only one which doesn't focus. Which ofc is a drawback having a physical camera button. Battery life after some tweaking is similar or equal. The vibration on the capacitive keys doesn't work neither, touching them w/o vibration makes the phones feel slower. Like there is no response to our actions. However the overall windows experience isn't slow. Its slower than WP8.1 but we have to understand that what we bought as flagship three years ago is a nowadays low-end, at least in raw performance. W10 comes with a lot of advantages for ur ATIV S. Among them for me the best one is MS Edge. IE was too old. And I had problems loading certain websites. For example www .vueling.es which now i can open on my ATIV. The menus are better organized, i find easier to access to where i want now than with an OS that i have used for 2 years... If you take into account how does the last S.O works on a 3 years old device. (iPhone 4s on last ios...) and that most of phones do not have the chance to get such an update even after 1 year... I think we are quite lucky.

Last edited:

lukas_ita

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
I have installed W10M on my ATIV. As many said the default windows camera, is the only one which don't focus. Which ofc is a drawback having a physical camera button. Battery life after some tweaking is similar or equal. The vibration on the capacitive keys doesn't work neither, touching them w/o vibration makes the phones feel slower. Like there is no response to our actions. However the overall windows experience isn't slow. Its slower than WP8.1 but we have to understand that what we bought as flagship three years ago is a nowadays low-end, at least in raw performance. W10 comes with a lot of advantages for ur ATIV S. Among them for me the best one is MS Edge. IE was too old. And I had problems loading certain websites. For example www .vueling.es which now i can open on my ATIV. The menus are better organized, i find easier to access to where i want now than with an OS that i have used for 2 years... If you take into account how does the last S.O works on a 3 years old device. (iPhone 4s on last ios...) and that most of phones do not have the chance to get such an update even after 1 year... I think we are quite lucky.

I agree with you on all, but I don't think W10M is slower than 8.1 on our Ativ. I am really satisfied.

anon(9600179)

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
So, I called the Samsung France technical support today and here's what I was told:
"We've received a note stating that Samsung is working with Microsoft to bring an update for a few WP devices."
This doesn't mean our Ativ S will receive W10M but it's something. :p

ronfante

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I've updated to 10586, to set apn you have to go network setting, not advanced apn, also focus is disabled by default, you can enable it by settings auto on camera settings. The os is smooth, camera is laggy :smile:

ronfante

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I thought you needed apn settings because you had some trouble to set apn.
To enable focus just open default camera then tap on the 3 points in the top-right corner, scroll down and you will see "focus mode" "messa a fuoco" on screenshot (disable by default)

wp_ss_20151124_0001.png

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon