Windows 10 for the Ativ S owners?

anon(9600179)

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I think this doesn't tell us anything. A few of us have upgraded our Ativ S to W10M. This means we are part of the AdDuplex results.
What could really indicate that there is an upgrade coming is if AdDuplex had spotted a few Ativ S on W10M with a higher firmware number than ours (> 15.3.2). Unfortunately, we have no information about this.

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi, does anyone updated to w10m got device hub or gadget app? Cos I read about this and couldn't find it in my phone (hacked to Nokia with no model change to get 10586 then trying 830/925/920 model to see if get this app updated but nothing happened). Thanks

luisfarelo

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
So, as Samsung has no intention of upgrading Ativ S to W10 Mobile, and evend W10 Mobile being a mess right now, I sold my Ativ S. It has been a good ride but timeto move on. My Asus Laser is coming my way.

bugmenot6

Banned
Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
Running W10M now for 2 weeks - runs pretty well - not that well as 8.1, but well enough to keep it running with W10M.

Unfortunately I noticed some drawbacks - but nothing that couldn't be solved ;)

Personally I found 1Shot Camera to be a good alternative to take photos, especially since the app does not require that much permissions as other apps (OneShot, 360, etc.) do. Also "1020 Camera" is good, even though not that feature rich.

Only thing I couldn't find out yet is how to change the default camera app - no app, except the windows camera app, is showing under the settings for the default camera setting in the drop-down list :( Isn't there a registry key to tweak that?!

Since I can't use Cortana with my phone language UI and region settings (English UI with German region) I really miss some features like music recognition which aren't available then without Cortana ("Cortana isn't support in the region and language you've selected"). Luckily there are apps like Shazam to help here.

Cheers!

PS:
For German readers (like me), here's a great guide how to upgrade to W10M:
goo.gl/TDUu8C
Maybe a translator helps also English readers which want a really good step by step guide for how to upgrade to W10M.

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Only thing I couldn't find out yet is how to change the default camera app - no app, except the windows camera app, is showing under the settings for the default camera setting in the drop-down list :( Isn't there a registry key to tweak that?!
Well I think only Lumia devices can change default app, I had a HTC 8S and ATIV S and I saw this setting item years ago during the wp8.0 era yet still useless as they are now....

Just hope MSFT can get rid of these small raw edges this time and do it right.

assyriska

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
found a solution for using the proshot app as default camera app, but i don't know if it is illegal or not. If anyone want to test it, just bing/google proshot mod winphonehub.

PS:
For German readers (like me), here's a great guide how to upgrade to W10M:
goo.gl/TDUu8C
Maybe a translator helps also English readers which want a really good step by step guide for how to upgrade to W10M.

thanks for linking my tutorial. when i find some time, i can translate it into an english version.

lukas_ita

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
found a solution for using the proshot app as default camera app, but i don't know if it is illegal or not. If anyone want to test it, just bing/google proshot mod winphonehub.

thanks for linking my tutorial. when i find some time, i can translate it into an english version.

It's not illegal... Copy and paste the guide!!

Rimil0uz

May 29, 2015
Visit site
After installing last update .63 battery consumption is much better. From 10:00 am to 20:16 with light use. (Answer a couple of whatsapps, wifi on, 3g/2g on, BT off except for a 40 min travel in car). Battery went down from 100% to 83% o_O. Not bad for a more than 2 yo device... Overall I'm quite happy with my device.

Bokkie

May 15, 2015
Visit site
There's the issue about the camera button (standard app that can't be changed), because the focus in the standard app doesn't work for most people. But that might be solved I see :)
What are other specific issues? I hear ppl praising windows 10 but also some people saying it's not as 'good' as 8.1, but I would like to know what the issues are.

dan16

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
There's the issue about the camera button (standard app that can't be changed), because the focus in the standard app doesn't work for most people. But that might be solved I see :)
What are other specific issues? I hear ppl praising windows 10 but also some people saying it's not as 'good' as 8.1, but I would like to know what the issues are.

It is far better than 8.1 in almost every aspect even without a dedicated firmware. The boot has even improved, I do not find delays while charging anymore. I am happily running .29 now, waiting for a final reliable version in the slow ring. Speaking about issues, the camera focusing is the most important: also bing translate and office lens are affected by that. Office lens can be used also as post processing of photos made by camera 360 sight, though.
The flash happens to be not quite perfectly synchronised and in the very first hours after upgrading it caused 3 reboots to me (just temporary issue).
The video recording (are there alternative apps?) should be affected by the focus issue, but that is not so bothering.
You have no more vibration on pressing buttons, that is just a matter of habit though (I actually did not like those vibrations).
The battery life is maybe a bit less than old 8.1.
When unlocking the phone through the start button it happens to enter the half display mode involuntarily, sometimes.
That is all, I think.
Edit: I forgot that the video playback in portrait mode has often a "black" rendering issue. You rotate the phone and the landscape mode is ok.

Last edited:

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Am I getting it right that in two lines updating to 10586.71 leads to:
  • Camera not working
  • No haptic feedback for hardware buttons

If there's no focus for camera how come it could be used for making reliable photos? Or did you manage to use some other camera apps? Which ones then?

Office lens with its limitation of 10 photos per bundle and requirement to store photos to OneNote doesn't look promising...

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Did the registry hack and my ATIV S now shows an update for 10.0.10586.29. I then reedited the registry back to default and rebooted. The phone still shows the update. I'm tempted to follow through but will wait until summer. BTW, has anyone updated to this version? If so, did your phone continue to update to the latest Redstone releases?

sirozan

May 28, 2014
Visit site
When using the new production preview ring of windows insider, i get the new .107 build offered as an update (i'm still on wp8.1), but after downloading i always get the error 801882c2 :(
Can someone here confirm this/ knows what to do here?

PS: not using any hacks or tricks here like imitating some Lumia, just got this as a normal update from stock 8.1, but with said error

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium