Windows 10 for the Ativ S owners?

Bokkie

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Guys who have SMS working, what build are you using and did you doa soft/hard reset after upgrading?

Thank you.

Works for me on both .107 and .164. Did a reset to factory settings from software (is that hard or soft reset?), not sure whether SMS worked before that. Didn't work on .1000 I believe (redmond builds) , even after resetting.

anon(9839885)

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Guys who have SMS working, what build are you using and did you doa soft/hard reset after upgrading?
Here is my experiment

- I upgraded to W10M some weeks ago (it was 10586.107 at that time)
- Just after that, I did a hard reset and I did not restore any backup.
- After that I changed the registry value "PhoneManufacturer" to NOKIA keeping "PhoneModelName" to GT-I8750
- Then I got the update .122, and some days later I got .164

Since that last update, I've tested almost all functions of the phone (exept MMS that I don't use, and long time bluetooth connexion)
And everything works fine (SMS, calls, wifi, bt, apps, notifications...) exept the common issues that everyone is facing (camera focus, buttons vibration, sometimes blank lockscreen)

My opinion is that at least one hard reset is necessary after upgrading, to eliminate all traces of WP8 settings (ideally without restoring backup)

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Works for me on both .107 and .164. Did a reset to factory settings from software (is that hard or soft reset?), not sure whether SMS worked before that. Didn't work on .1000 I believe (redmond builds) , even after resetting.

A reset made from Windows interface is a soft reset, hence the name.

Thank you for answering.

How did you manage to install 14xxx builds? I've heard from this thread, these builds are for Lumia 950/950 XL only.

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Here is my experiment

- I upgraded to W10M some weeks ago (it was 10586.107 at that time)
- Just after that, I did a hard reset and I did not restore any backup.
- After that I changed the registry value "PhoneManufacturer" to NOKIA keeping "PhoneModelName" to GT-I8750
-

Wait... So you've upgraded to Windows 10 Mobile without first editing registry?

That means that you've installed Windows Insider and upgraded from 8.1 to 10 build 10586.107 having "PhoneManufacturer" set to SAMSUNG and "PhoneModelName" to GT-I8750, correct?

So you didn't need the registry trick for the first upgrade and only needed the trick to upgrade to 10586.164 when already running Windows 10 Mobile?

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Looks like the issues with the inability to send or receive text messages are related to the new privacy feature in Windows 10 that allows you to restrict some (or all apps) from accessing messaging data.

At least when I open Settings|Privacy| Messaging and attempt to toggle access setting from On to Off for Messaging+Skype, the Settings app crashes, Setting's screen disappears and Start screen pops-in.

Looks like for some reason Windows failed to correctly set permissions (a contract?) for Messaging during the initial upgrade procedure.

Now it restricts Messaging+Skype from sending or receiving text messages even though it shows that no restrictions apply.

That's why attempts to toggle access permissions via Privacy settings lead to the crash of Settings app.

anon(9839885)

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Wait... So you've upgraded to Windows 10 Mobile without first editing registry?

That means that you've installed Windows Insider and upgraded from 8.1 to 10 build 10586.107 having "PhoneManufacturer" set to SAMSUNG and "PhoneModelName" to GT-I8750, correct?

So you didn't need the registry trick for the first upgrade and only needed the trick to upgrade to 10586.164 when already running Windows 10 Mobile?

No! I had to edit both registry values to update to W10M
But after the hard reset all registry values were back to default
So I needed to trick again to get get update .122 (which wasn't available in production ring at that time) but this time I only changed "PhoneManufacturer" to NOKIA
And since this time, I got updates .122 and .164 and registry values are still in this state (NOKIA and GT-I8750) and SMS works

A reset made from Windows interface is a soft reset, hence the name.
You're mistaking, a reset made from Settings > System > About > Reset your phone is a hard reset (Factory reset)
(I can't post links but you can google for "Reset my phone - Windows 10 Help")

The soft reset is made by holding power button and volume down for a few seconds. actually it's just a kind of clean reboot

Last edited:

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
What's the meaning of the lightning icon that appears when you attempt to hard reset the phone? How is it different from the exclamation mark?

I did the following:

1. Turned off the phone.
2. Hold Volume down key and Power key
3. When Windows logo appeared, I released the Power key.

Once instead of exclamation mark I've got lightning mark on the screen.

What does it mean?

Thank you.

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Folks, how did you preserve the interop-unlock (i.e. the ability to edit registry) after resetting the phone?

I've made a hard reset (using the well-known procedure with ATIV S hardware buttons). Now SMS are back but interop unlock and registry editor are gone.

I have CustomPFD and CustomWPSystem apps. Will they work? What deployment tool do I have to use?

Thanks.

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Did anyone experience issues restoring account data after doing the hard/soft reset.

After I reset the phone, I've got the Restored accounts screen as one of the Getting started screens. There were all the accounts I've used in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 Mobile 10.0.10586.164. Whoa, all accounts have been successfully restored and I wouldn't need to add them again, I was thinking.

However, now when I open Outlook Mail, the app asks me to add my accounts. Pretty annoying.

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
So long folks. Ativ S was a great phone, but the windows mobile OS seems a little iffy at the moment. Heading towards Android for now. You guys have been great though. :)

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Just updated to the newest redstone build 14291 and I find it worse than the old redstone build 14267.1004

The odds of browser/market place crashing were increased, the bing lockscreen wallpaper used to changed everyday are dead (still looking for replacement), the app update download are slower and sometimes just jammed (in my case I just reboot the device to run it again and settle it). Sometimes you have to swipe twice of the lock screen to unlock the phone....Anyway, not suggest to get the newest build even if you could. I don't want to do the whole rollback stuff so I'm gonna sit here and see what's happen next.

--
I'm considering quit the insider ring and see what happens. Some said that even at same build, the production ring is more stable and smooth than insider ring - that's interesting object to be observed with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro