Windows 10 for the Ativ S owners?

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I think you need to change the manufacturer name(Nokia), phone model(lumia 920/640) and variant model(RM-xxx/1072) in order to get recognized. As far as I can record I set my phone as 920 then I stay in release ring then I can't get fast/slow ring back and I changed the three value to 640 then the three rings come back then I got redstone. I'm not sure if you had missed something, better checked.

@megadragon998
The huge improvement in performance/stability of edge/store is worth to give a try. Plus I didn't feel performance lose over .494 . MSFT really put some good effort in this build.

Thanks Tien, I'll try again. I've written exactly what you typed in the brackets. Still no phone updates but I do get the preview release ring.

Last edited:

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Update to .494 build, the camera focus bug is still there (and will probably stay) but the experience is nearly the same as it was in 8.1.

To the others: I would like someone to list all the redstone pros(features over TH2) and cons(bugs) so i can decide whether to install or not, thanks :)

That's a good question. I also have 10586.29 (TH2) installed. Looks like the later builds add more problems than they fix.

What problems have you discovered with TH2?

My Notes:

1)Seems slower (sluggish) than 8.1
2) Camera focus bug... works with ProShot.
3) Built-in SMS doesn't send messages until I reboot. (I now use whatsapp)
4) Don't know about battery drain. 10 mobile doesn't dismiss apps with the back arrow like 8.1 did. So have to constantly check if there are apps running in the background.
5) Phone went completely dead a couple of times. Had to remove and reinsert battery.

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
That's a good question. I also have 10586.29 (TH2) installed. Looks like the later builds add more problems than they fix.

What problems have you discovered with TH2?

My Notes:

1)Seems slower (sluggish) than 8.1
2) Camera focus bug... works with ProShot.
3) Built-in SMS doesn't send messages until I reboot. (I now use whatsapp)
4) Don't know about battery drain. 10 mobile doesn't dismiss apps with the back arrow like 8.1 did. So have to constantly check if there are apps running in the background.
5) Phone went completely dead a couple of times. Had to remove and reinsert battery.

I don't really have problems with the system other than edge, it causes a massive battery drain
1) It works pretty much the same as 8.1 for me (.420 and .494)
2) I use Camera Sight, outstanding camera with outstanding effects
3)It works for me, never had such a problem
4)It does for me on some apps and for some not, i think it's app related function
5)Only had a similar issue with random bootloop the last time with build .164, no such issues now.

@Tien, so the only known bug is Auto Brightness for now?

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Hi Ferdinando and Dave,

I set my ATIV S as lumia 920 (and keep there) to get the newest 10586 build then I set it as lumia 640 (and keep there) to get the newest redstone build and I didn't do a hard reset after updated. My phone works well besides those known issues and based on the fact that the SoC driver version, modern driver version....etc is the same between wp8/w10m I feel the basic firmware (boot loader/recovery/firmware level driver) is untouched during the upgrade. So I don't think which model you choose to hack will affect the phone itself in current situation.

Thanks for the info! Can I ask you what do you mean with the SoC driver/modern driver problems? Also, do you find it fluid/usuable as W10M? My experience with .494 has been great so far, 24h battery, not a glitch...I only have a problem with sms on my english sim, but when I put the italian one I get all the messages (the one sent on the english one too...strange...maybe something about the sim operator?)

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I think you need to change the manufacturer name(Nokia), phone model(lumia 920/640) and variant model(RM-xxx/1072) in order to get recognized. As far as I can record I set my phone as 920 then I stay in release ring then I can't get fast/slow ring back and I changed the three value to 640 then the three rings come back then I got redstone. I'm not sure if you had missed something, better checked.

@megadragon998
The huge improvement in performance/stability of edge/store is worth to give a try. Plus I didn't feel performance lose over .494 . MSFT really put some good effort in this build.

Hi Tien, In order to receive .494, I wrote (Lumia 640 XL) into "phonemodel" and "phonemanufacturermodel". Used PreviewRelease.
Installing now...
Cheers!

Last edited:

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't really have problems with the system other than edge, it causes a massive battery drain
1) It works pretty much the same as 8.1 for me (.420 and .494)
2) I use Camera Sight, outstanding camera with outstanding effects
3)It works for me, never had such a problem
4)It does for me on some apps and for some not, i think it's app related function
5)Only had a similar issue with random bootloop the last time with build .164, no such issues now.

@Tien, so the only known bug is Auto Brightness for now?

Now running .494. The OS is smooth and snappy. No issues that I'm aware of. Looks like a good one. In case anyone doesn't know, the phone's OS tree is visible on the PC. However, all the files are hidden.
Graphic_7_25_2016 5_09_06 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I thought I'd write about my experience with RS so far. I've updated to the last 14393.5 on my Ativ S. Everything works perfectly, I haven't tried the luminosity yet. It's very snappy, the battery seems the same of .494 on 10586 (which was great), unless you use Edge and whatsapp, which seem to have a little bit of battery drain. My only problem with it is one app in the notification section which I cannot recognise (it's a string of numbers), probably being an app ported since 8.1 which is not compatible with rs. I hope it won't give any problem. I also have the weather app not working. I think I could fix that with a hard reset, but I'm scared to do that since my last experience. I have a backup this time, but I would like to wait for another release of the os and see if it fixes itself with an update rather than doing that. To your knowledge, does a hard reset and backup reinstallation reinstall also costumPFD etc for thweaking the registry? Anyways it runs great, non-supported my ***!!! If only samsung were to work with MS a little bit more we could still have a nice phone which works great with W10M.

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Originally posted by Ferdinando Valsecchi
I thought I'd write about my experience with RS so far. I've updated to the last 14393.5 on my Ativ S. Everything works perfectly, I haven't tried the luminosity yet. It's very snappy, the battery seems the same of .494 on 10586 (which was great), unless you use Edge and whatsapp, which seem to have a little bit of battery drain. My only problem with it is one app in the notification section which I cannot recognise (it's a string of numbers), probably being an app ported since 8.1 which is not compatible with rs. I hope it won't give any problem. I also have the weather app not working. I think I could fix that with a hard reset, but I'm scared to do that since my last experience. I have a backup this time, but I would like to wait for another release of the os and see if it fixes itself with an update rather than doing that. To your knowledge, does a hard reset and backup reinstallation reinstall also costumPFD etc for thweaking the registry? Anyways it runs great, non-supported my ***!!! If only samsung were to work with MS a little bit more we could still have a nice phone which works great with W10M.
Is there any way to avoid installing this update? Im happy on thresold and i dont want that luminosity bug :(

Driesb

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I can confirm build 14393.5 is a very good build (2 days now). Pretended my Ativ is a Lumia 640 LTE. Will also report back in a couple of days.

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi Ferdinando and Tien, MS is bugging me with 14393.5 so am going for it. Ferdinando, did you try uninstalling the weather app and reinstall? Will report back here with any problems... cheers!

14393.5 has completed and backups are restored. Had a little problem getting auto brightness working properly. Turned it off, then turned it back on and restarted... works ok now. No strange characters in notification area an weather app functions normally.

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately you cannot uninstall the weather app as it is part of the system...I will try a hard reset in case the next update won't fix it. Little update on battery: I'm astonished. It's 17.15 now and I unplugged it at 13. So effectively it's more or less 4 hours it has been running with skype in background (no text or calls received). Few emails, a quick call, few whatsapp, a couple of pictures and it's still at 87%!

Driesb

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
My weather app is also working properly. I read on an other forum that rebooting erases the APN settings. Anyone noticed that?

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
To me it doesn't reset APN. The weather app I think it's just a random mistake which unfortunately happened to me. Again, if it won't be fixed in the next update I'll try a hard reset and tell you guys how it behaves after it.

MadMabry

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Hey folks, this thread makes for some interesting read - thanks for your frontier mentality ;-)

By now, I've followed the guides and updated to 14393 without spending any time with the WM 10 build that was installed when updating from 8.1 (so I cannot compare the "feeling" of this build to any previous ones). The phone works but I had some SMS issues and decided to hard reset the device (going back to original registry values). I use this device as my main (and only) phone but I couldn't resist the gamble :D

Anyhow, I'm kind of stuck with another problem now and I hope that maybe someone could help: My APN setting getting erased everytime I restart my device.
I have tried everything that came to my mind to fix this but nothing helped (some of them probably laughable as I'm impassionate amateur at best):
- trying to manually set APN values with the Samsung APN app and trying all the different options in this app (I think the app is broken under WM 10 as it won't even save my APN settings correctly)
- uninstall and reinstall the Samsung APN app (having it unistalled right now)
- set the APN values in the SIM-options (network and wifi / network and sim etc.)
- switch between automatically and manually choosing the network
- remove SIM from device, start device, shut down device again and re-insert SIM

My CSC code says "ATOATO" but I am not to eager to change it to "ATO" unless someone can confirm that this probably the source of my problems.

As I see it now, I have to re-enter the APN settings everytime I restart the phone. Not to big a problem but quite annoying. I guess I would have to try to stop it from rebooting/running out of energy.

Thanks in advance!

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Hey folks, this thread makes for some interesting read - thanks for your frontier mentality ;-)

By now, I've followed the guides and updated to 14393 without spending any time with the WM 10 build that was installed when updating from 8.1 (so I cannot compare the "feeling" of this build to any previous ones). The phone works but I had some SMS issues and decided to hard reset the device (going back to original registry values). I use this device as my main (and only) phone but I couldn't resist the gamble :D

Anyhow, I'm kind of stuck with another problem now and I hope that maybe someone could help: My APN setting getting erased everytime I restart my device.
I have tried everything that came to my mind to fix this but nothing helped (some of them probably laughable as I'm impassionate amateur at best):
- trying to manually set APN values with the Samsung APN app and trying all the different options in this app (I think the app is broken under WM 10 as it won't even save my APN settings correctly)
- uninstall and reinstall the Samsung APN app (having it unistalled right now)
- set the APN values in the SIM-options (network and wifi / network and sim etc.)
- switch between automatically and manually choosing the network
- remove SIM from device, start device, shut down device again and re-insert SIM

My CSC code says "ATOATO" but I am not to eager to change it to "ATO" unless someone can confirm that this probably the source of my problems.

As I see it now, I have to re-enter the APN settings everytime I restart the phone. Not to big a problem but quite annoying. I guess I would have to try to stop it from rebooting/running out of energy.

Thanks in advance!

Hi! I don't have the APN problem, but as someone already mentioned it is a thing that happens apparently...I don't know if I can post link in this forum, but if you look online for drwindows there is a german forum where a user has your problem, but I don't think he fixed it though. Maybe before changing the CSC you could try with another hard reset?

As for your device info, there are app easily deployable that give you access to the registry in w10m (instead of the tedious workaround you needed to do in wp8.1) and I suggest you to do that because I don't think you will receive updates unless your phone pretends to be a lumia (I might be wrong, when I was on the official w10m branch I had updates anyway, but we are still on insider right now until the 2nd and I don't know how they will handle it after that date).

Lastly: what problems did you have with the sms? As of now it seems that I cannot receive sms, but I can send them when my device reboots. This happened after a clean install of w10m and redstone doesn't seem to have fixed that. Funny thing is that when I change the sim card all the sms are there, even the one on the other sim....did you solve your sms problem after the hard reset? If so I think I'll do mine quite soon....

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately you cannot uninstall the weather app as it is part of the system...I will try a hard reset in case the next update won't fix it. Little update on battery: I'm astonished. It's 17.15 now and I unplugged it at 13. So effectively it's more or less 4 hours it has been running with skype in background (no text or calls received). Few emails, a quick call, few whatsapp, a couple of pictures and it's still at 87%!
Hmm, I only have one weather app on my phone and it can be uninstalled. So don't know what you've got there. Mine is version: 4.11.156.0

For everyone else, there appears to be an SMS bug with 14393.5 and earlier threshold/RT versions. I have delivery confirmation set but it doesn't work. Instead, it would appear that my messages are not sent until I reboot the phone. Also, every time I reboot, the same messages are resent!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6