Windows 10 for the Ativ S owners?

rbraga79

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
The Ativ S had what I needed at the time since it was, to my knowledge, the only Windows phone that supported a 64gb SD card. I could afford it so I bought it. Anyway, have not experienced any of the problems you've mentioned running W10M. Except for the stock camera focus problem and auto brightness not working, I have no other complaints.

In my Ativ S the proximity sensor is constantly on if the Automatic brightness is enabled. Any solution?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
And not, please dont argue with false claims that the Ativ S is good for WP10 because its not. I have tried it after a long time and the phone overheats after 5min. browsing with EDGE, skype calls etc.. I dont want to loose my hand after the phone explodes. Maybe its good for basic tasks like sms, mms or calls but thats all. Its old now

It's worth pointing out that:

1. Microsoft has not spent the effort tuning W10M to better run on older devices, (These S4 devices benchmark similarly to the S400 phones.) instead preferring to ditch those devices instead. I've even heard of people still using a Galaxy S II with Android 6.0.1 as daily drivers. Weird huh?

2. Samsung hasn't really done much firmware work so its likely running much more inefficiently and unreliably than it technically could. I remember a lot of ATIVs saw issues when upgrading to 8.1 while fellow Lumia's tended to function better. Lumia Cyan helped significantly as well.

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
It's worth pointing out that:

1. Microsoft has not spent the effort tuning W10M to better run on older devices, (These S4 devices benchmark similarly to the S400 phones.) instead preferring to ditch those devices instead. I've even heard of people still using a Galaxy S II with Android 6.0.1 as daily drivers. Weird huh?

2. Samsung hasn't really done much firmware work so its likely running much more inefficiently and unreliably than it technically could. I remember a lot of ATIVs saw issues when upgrading to 8.1 while fellow Lumia's tended to function better. Lumia Cyan helped significantly as well.

1. But WHY would they support older devices? YES from a consumer part of view it would be a "logical" step but from the manufacturer view NO is the correct answer. Why? They want to sell new units, new units means Money for them. All big brands do it.. Sony, LG, Samsung, HTC etc. except maybe Apple but install iOS9xx on iPhone 4, its not as Great as it was in the past, right?? And what about the HW problems? 3y. from purchase is a very long time. LCD problems, battery, charging fails.. and many other problems. So... why would they support such old devices? Just because some people who dont need the newest tech or they dont have Money for a new unit?! I will repeat myself, as a user I can accept your point but from a coorporation view not

2. Samsung released 8.1.1 for a phone with less than 1% marketshare. Any other company would just forget this mistake and move on but Samsung released a new update... so... many high end Samsung android phones are abandoned after 6months and nobody cares. Android has many security problems yet nobody cares. People use it and want it...so... again, whats the problem?

This is like crying about PS3. Oh nooo, my PS3 cant launch Uncharted 4 i need to buy a new unit to run the game SHAME on SONY. But thats not happening, right? WHY? Because people know the basic rule: if they want the best and newest technology they need to invest Money in it. Nobody will cry about abandoned old consoles, right??? The same goes for mobile phones.

dan16

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
I think that it is mostly a matter of preferences.
There are people who change up to three phones in 3 y, spending more than 2000 €, just because they are eager for the "last-second" innovations. They probably can't wait to see the impact of, say, 4G, windows hello beta, edge-curved screens on their lives. Maybe, they give priority to saving a handful of download seconds a day rather than to saving their money. By the way, I doubt that a so far immature lumia 950 has allowed to save that much time, until AU update at least. I mean, it is fine, a respectable preference that supports the innovations.
Then, there are people who do not understand the importance of the updates, they do not care, until they have to face the problems caused by their old HW/SW. That is surely not the case in this forum :)
Finally, there are people, like many on this thread, who just prefer to seek a compromise. Not too old devices, but not high expense as well. With something more than 200 €, next year I will have had a 4y up-to-date Windows phone experience, with good performances (even rising recently) and only 2-3 minor issues. Not that bad perhaps, it was my preference anyway.
With respect to Samsung, I honestly think that they do not give the best support and the promptest updates in the world. We "suffered" a bit during the due 8.1 update but then they did forgive. For the current bugs, I believe it is a handful of code lines to correct in the firmware, but they will not do it because they simply are not interested. They are not Microsoft, that is increasingly moving against hardware generation barriers: a unified experience across devices. Even the Xbox One platform will evolve without requiring you to change your hardware!
In my opinion in the future the technology should struggle more against the contradictions of current hardware wastes. For now, I will survive some more time without Hey Cortana, Miracast etc. A Surface helps me overcome those shortcomings after all :D

ssx1000

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't get all those complaints about the ativ and the arguments about whether buying a new phone or not. For me my good old ativ is working flawlessly since I got it. I paid like 180? for a refurbished phone 4 years ago and I still really like it without having any hard- or software issues. I always tried the newest available builds and am on insider preview redstone build .81right now. Sure there were some builds that got battery drain and so on but there weren't many situations when I wasn't able to do something I wanted with this phone. Sure no miracast support but I knew that before buying. And I am also sure Samsung could provide easy help for auto brightness and maybe even performance but Samsung never cared about phones older than 2 years max. Even their current flagship won't see big firmware changes in two years. My ativ is my daily phone and I don't have a spare phone if anything goes wrong(but I think I could help myself anyway and I would survive a day without a phone) I also dropped this ativ many times and did not have a cracked screen yet and also my battery is impressing me since day one. With the recent builds I get more than one day out of this 4 year old battery. So instead of complaining I just like my phone and hope it won't stop getting working w10m builds any time soon.

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
1. But WHY would they support older devices? YES from a consumer part of view it would be a "logical" step but from the manufacturer view NO is the correct answer. Why? They want to sell new units, new units means Money for them. All big brands do it.. Sony, LG, Samsung, HTC etc. except maybe Apple but install iOS9xx on iPhone 4, its not as Great as it was in the past, right?? And what about the HW problems? 3y. from purchase is a very long time. LCD problems, battery, charging fails.. and many other problems. So... why would they support such old devices? Just because some people who dont need the newest tech or they dont have Money for a new unit?! I will repeat myself, as a user I can accept your point but from a coorporation view not

2. Samsung released 8.1.1 for a phone with less than 1% marketshare. Any other company would just forget this mistake and move on but Samsung released a new update... so... many high end Samsung android phones are abandoned after 6months and nobody cares. Android has many security problems yet nobody cares. People use it and want it...so... again, whats the problem?

This is like crying about PS3. Oh nooo, my PS3 cant launch Uncharted 4 i need to buy a new unit to run the game SHAME on SONY. But thats not happening, right? WHY? Because people know the basic rule: if they want the best and newest technology they need to invest Money in it. Nobody will cry about abandoned old consoles, right??? The same goes for mobile phones.

First of all, calling others' personal experience "false claims" is kind of rude. My ATIV S running RS2(14905.1000) is as fast and smooth as it was in 8.1.1 days, no battery drain no overheat issue (yes this phone get hot while using 3G/wifi as well as other QCoM S4 devices such as ASUS PadFone A66 so I don't see anything abnormal there) not even require hard reset and it just works (besides camera/auto brightness). I flirting chicks using badoo/QQ for hours and my hands, eyes and ears are still perfectly functional lol. I compared with those offical supported lumia 640/650 running w10m on youtube video and found my ATIV S is not falling far behind even on par with some apps in terms of speed.

And yes MS can actually cut those WP8 devices lose like what they have done in WP7 -> WP8 era however 1)they can't defense themself from the slow-to-none pace of evolution in both hardware/software during 2012-2015 (how can you make some devices with even worse SPEC running new OS yet claim those old ones are not fit for it?) 2)they don't want to root the image of reboot their mobile platform every few years any deeper to the public so they provide this update. Even I like my ATIV S now but if you asked me weather MS had done a goodjob or not I'll send them a big middle finger when I saw my even older Galaxy S2 runs even smoother and faster in CM13 3rd party ROM which means even those offically supported 640/650 are not doing too good in front of the mighty S2 lol.

Overall speaking, MS did an OK-to-good job in providing WP8 -> W10M update if you just compare with WP8. However XDA developers makes MS looks like amature in terms of cooking a good ROM.

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
They should support old devices because they've promised to allow everyone with a 8.1 device to update to 10 Mobile.

Back in days you could call me a liar. Now we have Google and Twitter. You can easily find old MSFT tweets.

Remember those Wave 1/2/3, the staging 8.1-to-10 update procedures.
Then they've thrown away customers who chose Lumias 620/1020, etc. for Android. Those customers believed they would be able to update because many knew Windows Phone is kind of beta. It worked okay but still looked like an initial implementation of a concept.

These ppl could be golden for MSFT, because they were those 4-5 percent of auditorium who chose Windows platform.

Now what? Microsoft said 'Sorry guys' with Lumia 950/950 XL as a grin. What are the results? Drop of market share to less than 1%? A strange approach you'd say.

And, hey, whopping 650-1000 bucks they ask for Lumia, don't tell me there is plenty of ppl ready to spend their buck for a gadget every year and a half.

Saying that using ATIV S is strange is like saying we won't allow you to fill the tank of your 2000 Honda Accord because it's too old and there's Accord 2016 in stores.

anon(8316658)

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
but the Honda Accord from 2000
wont be able to acomplish ECO rules made by the government so you will end up paying more taxes :) and after some years spare parts will be missing too and new parts wont be made because the car is just too old and the support ended x years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

rbraga79

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
First of all, calling others' personal experience "false claims" is kind of rude. My ATIV S running RS2(14905.1000) is as fast and smooth as it was in 8.1.1 days, no battery drain no overheat issue (yes this phone get hot while using 3G/wifi as well as other QCoM S4 devices such as ASUS PadFone A66 so I don't see anything abnormal there) not even require hard reset and it just works (besides camera/auto brightness). I flirting chicks using badoo/QQ for hours and my hands, eyes and ears are still perfectly functional lol. I compared with those offical supported lumia 640/650 running w10m on youtube video and found my ATIV S is not falling far behind even on par with some apps in terms of speed.

And yes MS can actually cut those WP8 devices lose like what they have done in WP7 -> WP8 era however 1)they can't defense themself from the slow-to-none pace of evolution in both hardware/software during 2012-2015 (how can you make some devices with even worse SPEC running new OS yet claim those old ones are not fit for it?) 2)they don't want to root the image of reboot their mobile platform every few years any deeper to the public so they provide this update. Even I like my ATIV S now but if you asked me weather MS had done a goodjob or not I'll send them a big middle finger when I saw my even older Galaxy S2 runs even smoother and faster in CM13 3rd party ROM which means even those offically supported 640/650 are not doing too good in front of the mighty S2 lol.

Overall speaking, MS did an OK-to-good job in providing WP8 -> W10M update if you just compare with WP8. However XDA developers makes MS looks like amature in terms of cooking a good ROM.

As the installation procedure?
My Ativ S is slow and the proximity sensor is constantly on if the Automatic brightness is enabled. 14905.1000

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
but the Honda Accord from 2000
wont be able to acomplish ECO rules made by the government so you will end up paying more taxes :) and after some years spare parts will be missing too and new parts wont be made because the car is just too old and the support ended x years ago.

Iam still laughing at this "Arguments" like a lil child. Ya all either cant afford a new phone or never ever bought an expensive device. EVERYTHING moves forward. Just imagine a Samsung S3 with Android 5 6 N etc. IMPOSSIBLE or installing W10 on Pentium 3 with 128RAM and Vodoo GPU

Yes but we are talking about a product just from 2012 and MS already start to pulling their service off the platform. C'mom my windows phone 6.5 device (beloved samsung i780, my racetrack GPS timer) stay alive longer than that.

Samsung S3 runnimg Android 6? Don't need to image just google for it (or bing it if that makes you happy) and you'll find out it actually running quite nice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssdecAzqNHw

I like the idea you trying to imply others as poor as they can't afford expensive things when we trying to make fair comment. I just couldn't find a good reason to keep putting my money into a platform that improve so little so slow and the company seems not giving a s*it about it while making all their exclusive service cross-platform and making some smart-watch level hardware phones covered by the illusion that this platform still is the smoothest, the most resources-saving crap on the planet while it's actually not.

Tourniquet

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,

does anyone of you still use TH2? I've got a big problem. I'm having a lot of battery drain in the last couple of builds. Before I had "okay" battery life not as great as in WP8.0 but still okay. With 545 its horrible, not even a day of battery life WITHOUT using it. The problem is "start" it consumes most of the energy.

My question is: Could a hard reset help?

If not I'm not going to do it. RS1 is not an option at the moment.

dotNET Everywhere

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
>> Could a hard reset help?

When upgrading from 8.1 (for ATIV S); I did hard reset ...
8.10.14219.341 => 10.107 => Hard Reset => 10.545

and on 10.545 I get 3 days worth of light usage (each day: 1 hour music, light browsing and messaging, and email checking; WiFi turn OFF, Mobile Data turn ON); can't say for sure if hard reset will do the trick... However, if you have not done it in your upgrade path to Windows 10 Mobile; it would not hurt... When I have upgraded Lumia 640 from 8.1.2 to Win10M... Hard reset help a lot with battery drain.

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I've done hard reset right after upgrading from 8.10.14219.341 to 10.0.10586.107. I had problems sending and receiving SMS on .107, so resetting the phone from System settings helped.

Still, I've experienced a drastic battery drain on all TH builds, including TH1 & TG2 up to 10.0.10586.494. The phone was heating while using cellular connection and especially apps like Edge and Twitter. The uptime was 1 hr with opened Edge WITHOUT browsing on a new battery.

That forced me to change registry settings from NOKIA GT-I8750 to NOKIA Lumia 640 to get the RedStone build.

Now the phone heats much less. It's still not even a day of working on battery, but now charging it twice in a day helps.

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I set mine to 640 XL and left it there. The 640 and 640 XL appear to be similar phones except the XL has a larger screen but the same resolution.

Update: Phone now at 14393.103. Hasn't fixed any problems that I'm aware of.

Last edited:

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Can someone tell me which ring has the which build of redstone for the Lumia 640 XL? I'm willing to upgrade but not sure which ring to choose (i dont really want fast track since its easier to break the phone).

Tourniquet

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
on 10.545 I get 3 days worth of light usage (each day: 1 hour music, light browsing and messaging, and email checking; WiFi turn OFF, Mobile Data turn ON)

That sounds incredible. Its for the phone from my mum. She doesn't use it very often, but has WiFi always turned on. It wasn't a big problem but since 4xx especially the startscreen uses a huge amount of batterylife.

So I'm going to hard reset and hope to get something similar. And hopefully doesn't have the same experience as Exotic Hadron. I don't want to go to RS1 just yet.

Tourniquet

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Can someone tell me which ring has the which build of redstone for the Lumia 640 XL? I'm willing to upgrade but not sure which ring to choose (i dont really want fast track since its easier to break the phone).

Fast Ring -> 14905.1000 (RS2)
Slow / RP -> 14393.103
Production -> 14393.67

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre