Windows 10 for the Ativ S owners?

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
When I try to obtain the app here (_h**ps://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/proshot/9nblggh4tfjz), it says ProShot is currently not available. Bummer!
Any clue?

Shows up on my phone. Several users have reported bugs with this app. Didn't try to obtain it.

Last edited:

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I've moved to redstone 14393.103 (the release preview build) and my experience so far:
1)Less battery drain on both Facebook Messenger and Edge
2)Everything a lot smoother, less resuming (almost non existant, only Facebook (beta))
3)Outlook Calendar has a missing icon sometimes but it fixes itself
4)I cant download any keyboard language (says attention required and when i retry it says the same again)
5) Cant disable brightness slider, needs hard reset again i guess but i dont feel like starting over
6) I dont have APN problems (yet)
7) Less overheat now
8) I'll add more when i find out, overall i'm impressed.

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
In my experience latest 10.0.14393.103 is worse in battery drain terms than the previous build 10.0.14393.82.
Battery drain is clearly notable when using internet-intensive applications like navigation apps.
On build .82 I had the consumption like 100 to 80 percent drop in 1 to 1.5 hr of using navigation in my car (the phone is plugged to 12 V plug during this time).
On the latest build I have the charge decay of ~70% (from 100 to 30 percent) within the same time slot.
I use Yandex.Navigator whilst driving.

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I've moved to redstone 14393.103 (the release preview build) and my experience so far:
1)Less battery drain on both Facebook Messenger and Edge
Seems that way but if true, not much different from previous version
2)Everything a lot smoother, less resuming (almost non existant, only Facebook (beta))
Yes, have noticed more smoothing and snappiness
3)Outlook Calendar has a missing icon sometimes but it fixes itself
Outlook Calendar has been buggy and remains buggy. The icon wavers between default and showing number/day
4)I cant download any keyboard language (says attention required and when i retry it says the same again)
Don't know, haven't tried.
5) Cant disable brightness slider, needs hard reset again i guess but i dont feel like starting over
Don't see any way to disable the slider. If auto brightness switch is turned off, slider shows numbers rather than "suggested", "brighter" or "darker"
6) I dont have APN problems (yet)
I do. If phone is rebooted, APN settings are lost. Strange, since others have reported no problems. Must be a location thing.
7) Less overheat now
8) I'll add more when i find out, overall i'm impressed.
See my comments above. That pretty much covers it... thanks.

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
In my experience latest 10.0.14393.103 is worse in battery drain terms than the previous build 10.0.14393.82.
Battery drain is clearly notable when using internet-intensive applications like navigation apps.
On build .82 I had the consumption like 100 to 80 percent drop in 1 to 1.5 hr of using navigation in my car (the phone is plugged to 12 V plug during this time).
On the latest build I have the charge decay of ~70% (from 100 to 30 percent) within the same time slot.
I use Yandex.Navigator whilst driving.

It certainly appears that way but haven't tested. Using Edge seems to drain the battery more in .103 when compared with .82

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Has anybody tried the new ProShot app on the ativ?

I have it. It's really nice, but it seems like some additional functionalities are missing from the ones introduced (hdr, timelapse etc). Moreover, when I try to adjust the focus it doesn't do anything. Strangely enough, it seems to me that the photos shot inside facebook messenger chat are the best ones right now ahahahah

dmnmsc

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
when I try to adjust the focus it doesn't do anything.

Yes, new Proshot has the same problem than the original Camera app. The best options are Proshot Classic, Camera 360Sight or Microsoft Blink. Camera 360Sight and Microsoft Blink are free, while you need to pay for Proshot Legacy.

Last edited:

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I have it. It's really nice, but it seems like some additional functionalities are missing from the ones introduced (hdr, timelapse etc). Moreover, when I try to adjust the focus it doesn't do anything. Strangely enough, it seems to me that the photos shot inside facebook messenger chat are the best ones right now ahahahah

What store region do you use? I use UK and it says its not available.

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Seems like the new Office Lens, just gotten released, are using new camera API used in Windows Camera.

This means no focus for Office Lens anymore... Pity, that was one of my favorite apps that worked fantastic for scanning documents and automatically cutting rectangular images like whiteboards and museum arts.

Could anyone confirm this?

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Seems like the new Office Lens, just gotten released, are using new camera API used in Windows Camera.

This means no focus for Office Lens anymore... Pity, that was one of my favorite apps that worked fantastic for scanning documents and automatically cutting rectangular images like whiteboards and museum arts.

Could anyone confirm this?

I can, it doesn't work anymore. I have noticed that SophieLens HD still uses old camera api so autofocus works there too. It has some nice filters too so i think i'm going to keep it.

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Help! I've had to hard reset my phone because of the accursed brightness bug. Interop Tools doesn't backup to the cloud for some reason so I'm forced to reinstall "InteropToolsApp_0.0.173.0_arm.appxbundle" using the windows phone deployment app but it fails with this error: "There is an error in XML document (18, 15)". Also tried to side load using developer mode but to no avail.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Help! I've had to hard reset my phone because of the accursed brightness bug. Interop Tools doesn't backup to the cloud for some reason so I'm forced to reinstall "InteropToolsApp_0.0.173.0_arm.appxbundle" using the windows phone deployment app but it fails with this error: "There is an error in XML document (18, 15)". Also tried to side load using developer mode but to no avail.

Just try to email it to yourself and open it form the phone itself. A dialogue should come out asking if you want to install. Say yes and wait a couple of minutes. It should be there ;)

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Just try to email it to yourself and open it form the phone itself. A dialogue should come out asking if you want to install. Say yes and wait a couple of minutes. It should be there ;)

Thanks Ferdinando. Nope, doesn't work. The file shows up. I hit install but nothing happens.
Update: Figured it out, it's ok now... Grz!

Last edited:

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Ferdinando, is TIM your provider? If so, do you have to type in APN data? Auto APN doesn't work for me so have to type it in. Problem is that once the phone is rebooted, the data is lost.

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I've been living in the UK for the past year so TIM is not my provider anymore (and I would be Vodafone either way :p). I have to type in the APN every time, my provider at the moment is Three! This is a known problem, to me personally it's not that annoying :)

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
It didn't work for me.
Probably because after hard resetting the device it reverted to its original values.
By the way I think it's time to leave this great device. I'm going for a 950 XL.
So far I have to say I loved my Ativ S.

Are you still using the Ativ S as a test device? How is RS2 going on? Did you have the apn problem before and it got fixed after the update? Does the focus on the camera app work?

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Ciao Ferdinando, Vodafone seems to have better wireless coverage than TIM. I was at a party in Calvanico. I couldn't connect to the Web but Vodafone customers could.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb