Windows 10 for the Ativ S owners?

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I am not savvy as to where the proximity sensor is on the ativ s. Can you be more specific as to it's function and when it should or should not be lit? Thanks.

It's the red light eye on the left to the front-facing camera. It lights up only during the calls and serves to turn off the phone's screen when you hold the phone close to the ear.

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Guys, ive just received a weird update. Samsung apparently released update for their OEM app called extra settings, have no idea what this may bring since that app regulates auto brightness and haptic feedback.

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Guys, ive just received a weird update. Samsung apparently released update for their OEM app called extra settings, have no idea what this may bring since that app regulates auto brightness and haptic feedback.

Did you change PhoneManufacturer to SAMSUNG and PhoneModelName back to GT-I8750 to get the update?

What is your experience with the app so far? Did you get haptic feedback working?

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site

Too bad I uninstalled it a long time ago when I updated to w10 AU! Do you have a link from the store for it?

On a side note I updated to Redstone 2 since there are no bugs in this release (well, no major bugs). I haven't noticed one bug so far, seems more fluid that AU and everything works really well. The only annoying thing is that to pull up the action center (or dismiss it) you have to grab it from the bottom of the screen and not anywhere without a notification anymore. No big deal.

On a secondary side note, the day before I updated I had a problem with the alarms being way to quiet. After the update nothing changed, however, using a 3rd party app for alarms, everything goes well. I do not think it's a RS2 problem since it appeared to AU (completely without any apparent cause)...Any ideas on how to fix it that do not involve hard reset?

On a final note, I confirm that APN bug being reset every reboot is now gone on RS2, everything works as it should. Brightness has the same problem of AU though (but spavlin has found a way to cook a fix in the rom, let's see if there's a way to fix it without having to flash the phone :))

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
In my Ativ S the proximity sensor is constantly on if the Automatic brightness is enabled.

Hmm, auto-brightness is enabled on my phone although it doesn't work, but the sensor is not lit.

Auto-brightness works on your .1000 phone... is this correct?

Last edited:

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site

I have intentionally changed settings back from
PhoneManufacturer = NOKIA
PhoneManufacturerModelName=RM-1109
PhoneModelName=Lumia 640

to
PhoneManufacturer = SAMSUNG
PhoneManufacturerModelName=GT-I8750
PhoneModelName=GT-I8750

I've checked for updates but nothing showed up in Windows Store .

Then I used SysAppPusher to follow directly to the page of Samsung extra settings app, and opening the page showed there are no updates. The version that I already have installed on the phone is the last one.

Tried to trigger Automatic Brightness setting from ON to OFF and back with restart of the phone but that didn't help.

By the way, I only noticed problems with the screen today when I have found myself not seeing a thing on the screen while I've been driving.

Looks like the problem appeared only after some time. I've been using RS1 for a couple of weeks.

Also, I've noticed that phone started to heat again after I changed registry settings to Samsung.

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I have intentionally changed settings back from

I've checked for updates but nothing showed up in Windows Store .

Then I used SysAppPusher to follow directly to the page of Samsung extra settings app, and opening the page showed there are no updates. The version that I already have installed on the phone is the last one.

Tried to trigger Automatic Brightness setting from ON to OFF and back with restart of the phone but that didn't help.

By the way, I only noticed problems with the screen today when I have found myself not seeing a thing on the screen while I've been driving.

Looks like the problem appeared only after some time. I've been using RS1 for a couple of weeks.

Also, I've noticed that phone started to heat again after I changed registry settings to Samsung.

You'll find that there's no Insider support either. BTW, what megadragon998 experienced is most likely an old 8.1 update that he just received. Also, I want to discuss rbraga79's experience with RS2 .1000 build. He claims that auto-brightness works now but the proximity sensor stays lit. Wouldn't the proximity sensor be responsible for controlling screen brightness when set to auto?

Last edited:

Exotic Hadron

May 19, 2013
Visit site
I want to discuss rbraga79's experience with RS2 .1000 build. He claims that auto-brightness works now but the proximity sensor stays lit. Wouldn't the proximity sensor be responsible for controlling screen brightness when set to auto?

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...728905/GT-I8750_UM_DTM_Eng_Rev.1.0_121214.pdf

Indeed, on page 7 of the user manual it is stated like if both the two eyes are light and proximity sensor as if they were the same device.

What I think it is in fact, proximity sensor sits between the light sensor and the camera.

[LS] [PS] [Camera]

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Im not the only one experiencing the update, a guy in the firmware topic has also received an update too. Im 100% certain its not an old update since ive been manually checking for updates on both 8.1 th2 and rs1. Im using UK region with GT I8750 setting. Im on build 14393.103 and i havent really tried playing with the settings since i didnt have time, will get back to you.

dmnmsc

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
Im not the only one experiencing the update, a guy in the firmware topic has also received an update too.

I got the update as well. Haptic feedback isn't working and brightness toggle issue is still there. No idea about autobrightness.

Due to a hardware issue, my ATIV S mic stopped working and no one can hear me while calling. Microsoft dropped the Lumia 950 price at 299€, so I moved on. Anyway, I'll still have my Samsung ATIV S as a testing device.

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...728905/GT-I8750_UM_DTM_Eng_Rev.1.0_121214.pdf

Indeed, on page 7 of the user manual it is stated like if both the two eyes are light and proximity sensor as if they were the same device.

What I think it is in fact, proximity sensor sits between the light sensor and the camera.

[LS] [PS] [Camera]

Yes, the two eyes are related and probably function together. The camera's light sensor is built into the camera. If you go into a darkened area and cover both eyes, the camera will still adjust for proper lighting.

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Got my ATIV S updated to 14915.1000 for about a week and this build is not good for my phone....

The auto brightness keep light the sensor and switch to maunal seems couldn't really control the brightness (it changes when you slide the bar but after you jump to main screen it comes back to the same brightness). The speed and stability seems drop significantly, lags are coming back and app crashed out to main screen more oftenly. My badoo app crahes while trying to access my photo album....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The worse hit was at the store, now I lost the "download" button in every app page so I can't really download any new apps....I think it's time for a hard reset (I just afraid that I'll lose the free proshot app) and keep a eye on 3rd party ROM.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, if 14915.1000 if not arrived in your phone, avoid it.

***UPDATE***
Today I open the store app again and the download button is back! I'm so happy that I don't have to go back to ground zero and start all over. The Microsoft Blink is a good camera app as well...too bad why MS limit their camera button to only launch their stupid default camera app? That item had sat there for years and everytime I saw it, it just seems mocking at me hard.....

Last edited:

Dave Velo

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Got my ATIV S updated to 14915.1000 for about a week and this build is not good for my phone....

The auto brightness keep light the sensor and switch to maunal seems couldn't really control the brightness (it changes when you slide the bar but after you jump to main screen it comes back to the same brightness). The speed and stability seems drop significantly, lags are coming back and app crashed out to main screen more oftenly. My badoo app crahes while trying to access my photo album....

The worse hit was at the store, now I lost the "download" button in every app page so I can't really download any new apps....I think it's time for a hard reset (I just afraid that I'll lose the free proshot app) and keep a eye on 3rd party ROM.

Anyway, if 14915.1000 if not arrived in your phone, avoid it.

Hmm, is it possible to revert to a previous build by hard resetting the ativ s? If so, how is it done? Also, it's possible to update the OS with the Spavlin ROM installed?

Last edited:

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Hmm, is it possible to revert to a previous build by hard resetting the ativ s? If so, how is it done? Also, it's possible to update the OS with the Spavlin ROM installed?
1) I don't think hard reset will bring you back to previous version of OS, you have to go waaaay back to download mode and flash offical WP8 rom then get here....too much work to do

2) Yes I'm also wondering how those 3rd party ROM works and how deep they can dig into the OS and make it fit our hardware better :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786