PC doesn't recognize new SSD install

weybrew

Jul 1, 2018
Visit site
I want to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 PRO x64 on a new SSD. I downloaded the Media Creation Tool and downloaded the ISO and used RUFUS software to prepare a bootable USB flash drive. I installed to a 128 MB SSD without any error msgs, but when I tried to run it, my PC got the Blue Screen of Death. The same thing happened if the drive was just plugged into the PC. The same SSD crashed when using an external dock and when I tried it on 2 other PCs!

I am now making another attempt on a 500MB SSD. My PC is old enough that it uses BIOS rather than UEFI. When I attempted to install to this SSD I got a msg that it could not install because this SSD was GPI partition style. I did some research and converted the SSD to MBR partition style. This item the install went smoothly, however, I cannot boot from it.

I am not a techie, so I feel like I accomplished something by getting this far, but now I don't know where to go. My ultimate goal is to install Windows and future programs to the new SSD and use multiple HHD drives for storage. But I'm stuck...can anyone show the way to proceed, please?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
The fact that the second one doesn't boot might need a change in the boot order. You would need to boot back into the BIOS to change the boot order.

weybrew

Jul 1, 2018
Visit site
Thanks, Golfdriver97. I checked the BIOS and confirmed correct boot order. With all drives, USB, and DVD disabled and with only the new SSD connected the PC did not see the new drive. When I disconnected the SSD and reconnected C: I dot a screen showing a msg with some msg regarding bad disk and needing to replace disc. However, then I got a screen asking to select the desired operating system...options were Windows and Windows vol.1. It would only boot under Windows vol.1. But among the many warning screens I've seen are one that cited error 0xc000000e, one that says I need to REPAIR, but an F9 option to try another OS that seems to take me to the Windows vs Windows Vol. 1. In trying to find help I read a command line suggestion to run "Bootrec /fixmbr" which ran, "bootrec /fixboot" which gave me ACCESS DENIED, and "bootrec /rebuildbcd" which found 0 windows installations!

After another REPAIR screen, the F9 option, and the Windows vs Windows vol.1. That gets me booted up. Hope this info helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism