05-11-2014 03:32 PM
375 1234 ...
tools
    ret, you should followed the adage: asked and answered... you had your say. but now you just keep regurgitating it... I think you're overly sensitive and find some need to be recognized as "levelheaded". just let it go. you like the samsung. no need to regurgitate.
    Starrbuck and metalchick719 like this.
    04-06-2014 02:54 AM
    Some people just always have to have the last word! :-(
    04-06-2014 09:19 AM
    Gotta jump in here. Both devices look really good and it is nice Verizon customers have real choices...t-mo has nothing to really choose from at the moment. The SD card is a neat option for people who want more storage. Not everyone wants or needs a great camera on a phone.

Personally, I'd love one phone with great design, great camera, great audio, good storage and at 4.5" screen size. That doesn't exist in the WP game right now. The more manufacturers we have, the better the option. Plus, I read something where Glance may end up being a WP8.1 feature, not just a Nokia exclusive.

Never understood why people who want WP but don't want a Nokia get nailed to the cross. 1 OEM on an OS can't innovate as much all the time - ask Apple.
    DocRambone likes this.
    04-06-2014 09:41 AM
    Why do people think the ATIV SE has the S4 specs?
    Can y'all not read?
    neo158 likes this.
    04-06-2014 09:51 AM
    If I were looking to replace my 8X I'd choose the Icon. Imaging and audio recording is far more important to me than a MicroSD slot. I've done well with 16 GB on the 8X and backup regularly to preserve my pictures and not run out of space that 32 GB would be more than enough.

I'm very curious to see if all the Samsung support calls I get for the Galaxy Note2/3 and S3/S4 transfer over to Windows Phone as well. I'm guessing they won't, cause I see a lot of the same issues on other Android phones as the Samsungs.
    CyberAngel_777 likes this.
    04-06-2014 09:54 AM
    Why do people think the ATIV SE has the S4 specs?
    Can y'all not read?
    It does not have all the S4 specs so....
    04-06-2014 09:56 AM
    Got the Icon when it first came out but not the Ativ SE is about to come out. Simular spec wise but I wonder is the Ativ the better device? My Icon is great but I wish battery could be better. Should I switch for the Ativ SE? I know the cameras are different and the Ativ does not have SST but I'm in FL I don't need gloves lol. What do you guys think?
    If you have money to burn by all means, but do know that samsung is 100% cheap plastic, Icon has aluminum frame and durable polycarbonate on the back, the camera on the Icon is most probably better then Samsung (it probably uses the same camera as galaxy s4, so you can compare those two), I'm pretty sure Icon has better microphones as well. Forget about Nokia apps then, samsung has some of its own, but I doubt they invest so much time in WP like Nokia does. I don't think ATIV SE is a bad device though, it's just no way better then Icon. It may be as good as it, but not better, they do use the same chip after all. Both come with 1080p 5" AMOLED, ATIV SE does have 180mAh bigger battery though. I also prefer the curved screen on Lumias, I haven't seen a samsung feel as good.

If you didn't have the icon, I'd say get samsung if you like it, both are great devices, but unless you have more money you can spend, I think it's stupid investing in a device that's just as good as the one you already have.
    As you figured, it's a very biased opinion, but you can read the specs and reviews yourself ;)
    04-06-2014 10:05 AM
    Personally, from what Ive see of the Ativ online so far - I think it looks hideous.
    04-06-2014 10:32 AM
    What is the Ativ SE's battery mAh?

Ativ S gets great battery time compared to the L920.
    04-06-2014 10:34 AM
    The Icon is the better phone. Don't forget the Samsung's specs are basically the same as the GS4 which came out a year ago.
    its really more of an S5 given its a Snapdragon 800 and not a 600
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    04-06-2014 11:52 AM
    ret, you should followed the adage: asked and answered... you had your say. but now you just keep regurgitating it... I think you're overly sensitive and find some need to be recognized as "levelheaded". just let it go. you like the samsung. no need to regurgitate.
    Well, gee mister, if you say so, since my opinion isn't to suckle the bountiful teat of All Things Nokia...

So much for a "conversation", huh? Just stick to "Nokia is gold, Samsung sucks azz, plastic, no camera button, blah blah". Nice community you got here, real inclusive (as long as you don't disagree with the iHerd). You can do better, guys. Really (see: Confirmation bias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I had no idea Nokia "fans" had drifted so far into iThink.
    04-06-2014 12:03 PM
    once again, you're getting defensive... O_o just relax. go to the beach or something.
    metalchick719 likes this.
    04-06-2014 01:02 PM
    once again, you're getting defensive... O_o just relax. go to the beach or something.
    In defense though, some folks here troll Nokia a tad too hard. My favorite WP device to this point is still the Focus S. The plastic on that was the same plastic Samsung has been using and I had 0 issues with that phone.
    04-06-2014 01:07 PM
    get the ativ SE, i've had the lumia 820, 920 and 925 and i regret it so much now because the ativ S i have offers everything they do and haven't had any isssues so far, just get the phone that feels right for you, the phone that makes you smile everytime you unlock your screen, sometimes specs are mis-leading, its all about what makes you happy
    Last edited by kingenu; 04-06-2014 at 06:16 PM.
    Blkacesvf41 likes this.
    04-06-2014 02:18 PM
    Gotta jump in here. Both devices look really good and it is nice Verizon customers have real choices...t-mo has nothing to really choose from at the moment. The SD card is a neat option for people who want more storage. Not everyone wants or needs a great camera on a phone.

Personally, I'd love one phone with great design, great camera, great audio, good storage and at 4.5" screen size. That doesn't exist in the WP game right now. The more manufacturers we have, the better the option. Plus, I read something where Glance may end up being a WP8.1 feature, not just a Nokia exclusive.

Never understood why people who want WP but don't want a Nokia get nailed to the cross. 1 OEM on an OS can't innovate as much all the time - ask Apple.
    I think and hope that no one here is advocating for no other OEMs to jump onboard and support WP8, cause that would be crazy. The OP asked for opinions in order to make a decision. I gave my 2 cents and screwed up since I wasn't aware that the Samsung had a Snapdragon 800, but like I said before I've been known to be wrong from time to time.
    04-06-2014 04:58 PM
    I think and hope that no one here is advocating for no other OEMs to jump onboard and support WP8, cause that would be crazy. The OP asked for opinions in order to make a decision. I gave my 2 cents and screwed up since I wasn't aware that the Samsung had a Snapdragon 800, but like I said before I've been known to be wrong from time to time.
    The OP, like most people who post this type of thread, hasn't really said what the needs are, so it's hard to avoid some OEM bashing at some point.

The Icon and Ativ SE are targeted for two slightly different groups. Those who want a more versatile camera, wireless charging, used a fixed amount of memory, etc will pick the Icon. Those who want expandable storage, removable batteries, solid camera, don't mind the Samsung design and a lighter device will pick the Ativ SE. There are hardly any reviews for the SE out. The guts for both phones are the same in the processor and RAM dept.

Personally, I just don't like the unnecessary Nokia trolling as the greatest thing to WP and other OEMs shouldn't bother. Like I said in my original post, as a t-mo USA customer, I wish I had a choice between the Icon and the Ativ SE, and not the chicke**** not really supported if they don't sell well devices that they always take.
    Blkacesvf41 likes this.
    04-06-2014 05:32 PM
    Got the Icon when it first came out but not the Ativ SE is about to come out. Simular spec wise but I wonder is the Ativ the better device? My Icon is great but I wish battery could be better. Should I switch for the Ativ SE? I know the cameras are different and the Ativ does not have SST but I'm in FL I don't need gloves lol. What do you guys think?

If you think SE is better for your needs, then switch. No use asking a lot of people who can live with each handset's compromises because it's their preferences, not yours. I prefer Nokia over Samsung handsets but it is me, not you.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk
    04-06-2014 06:20 PM
    I will be keeping my Icon till something truly better comes along, next year.
    I am sure the ATIV SE is probably not a bad phone....

IMO, looking at the specs,, the ATIV SE is actually a bit of a downgrade. Despite being a 2.3Ghz CPU
    The Camera is only 13MP, may not count for much to many, but the 20MP ZEISS Optics full HD recording with 4 mic's is a plus
    The fact that you can take RAW (DNG) Pictures is a huge plus if you feel like getting into Post Processing.
    I do not think the addition of an SD Card is worth what you lose in the long run,
    the Icon 32G is generally plenty of space (for me), and you can easily synch and off load pictures etc when needed through USB for the large pic's, the rest can go on OneDrive.
    (yes, I know you can do the same with the ATIV SE and having the SD Card can simplify things when you can switch them out at will),
    ok, so, it's a slight plus, I have not seen any use for it though.
    Had a phone with SD Card a long time ago, hardly ever used it for much.

The ONLY other plus there might be to getting the Ativ SE is if you have other Samsung Devices like TV and or BluRay Player
    The ability to synch the devices and project/share the screen or control them from the phone is neat.
    but, If I recall, I saw in WP8.1 SDK the ability to natively project to another screen
    I am assuming any WiFi/Network connected screen? That will be awesome if true. I have no idea though at this time about that.

So, FOR ME, and I would recommend to anyone else, get/keep the Icon.
    There isn't enough incentive based on specs and price to get the Ativ SE.
    CyberAngel_777 likes this.
    04-06-2014 07:39 PM
    Why is everyone saying the ATIV SE is cheap plastic? Isn't it going to be a brushed aluminum phone? Samsung was mostly held back by the RAM hungry Android OS they're by no means a bad OEM. If you care about the long term success of WP as an OS then we need a major OEM like Samsung to push Nokia to new heights. No competition is only a bad thing for consumers. I own a Lumia 928 and my next phone with either be the Icon or ATIV SE I haven't decided yet. Unless of course the rumored Sony Windows Phone comes out and changes my mind before then.
    04-06-2014 07:57 PM
    Why is everyone saying the ATIV SE is cheap plastic? Isn't it going to be a brushed aluminum phone? Samsung was mostly held back by the RAM hungry Android OS they're by no means a bad OEM. If you care about the long term success of WP as an OS then we need a major OEM like Samsung to push Nokia to new heights. No competition is only a bad thing for consumers. I own a Lumia 928 and my next phone with either be the Icon or ATIV SE I haven't decided yet. Unless of course the rumored Sony Windows Phone comes out and changes my mind before then.
    All good points. I love Nokia and do have a soft spot for the brand, my very first cell phone was a Nokia. Having said that, totally agree with your point of no competition ultimately hurts consumers. Had AT&T been allowed to buy out T-Mobile, we wouldn't be seeing the recent price changes amount US carriers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    04-06-2014 08:34 PM
    Go for the Icon. Since the Icon has the better camera than the Samsung and all of the other specs are equal, then the Icon is the winner. Also, the build quality of Nokia phones are better than Samsung's. I owned three different Samsung phones prior to getting my first WP (a 928), and the build quality of the Nokia was a lot better. Also, Nokia's support is a lot better than Samsung's. Samsung does't put a whole lot into WP because the OS is a minor one for them. It is focused on Android and developing its own OS.
    04-07-2014 12:42 AM
    :D LOL "Since the Icon has the better camera than the Samsung and all of the other specs are equal, then the Icon is the winner."

First of all, Im from Finland "a.k.a Nokia land" and a big Nokia fan, but still can be objective on things. I had the Lumia 920 and switched to the Ativ S and can tell you the Ativ S is way better phone. I get about 30% more battery from the Ativ. Build quality is hands down better on the Ativ. The 920 screen got few small scratches in just a month, the Ativ S has 0 scratches after a year of heavy use. Also the L920's screen had small movement on the upper right corner, the Ativ S is very solid build and nothing feels shaky in it.

Now on topic and your comment. Yes the Lumia's camera is superior. The Ativ(s) there is microSD slot and also physical home button is a very nice addition. It comes down to preference, nothing is as simple as you claim it to be.

I can tell you that the Ativ S is the best phone I had in years. Its still so good that Im not even sure yet I will change to the never generation device and this is very rare for me to be so happy with a device after a year.
    04-07-2014 01:32 AM
    Unfortunately I have owned a galaxy vibrant, s2, and s3....seeing as all Samsung phones still use that cheap Plastic I will have to disagree about the quality of a Samsung phone vs my 920(I had 3...couldn't Choose a color), 810, 928, 1020, and my 1520 I have now.

Build quality wise, most will say goes to Nokia.
    :D LOL "Since the Icon has the better camera than the Samsung and all of the other specs are equal, then the Icon is the winner."

First of all, Im from Finland "a.k.a Nokia land" and a big Nokia fan, but still can be objective on things. I had the Lumia 920 and switched to the Ativ S and can tell you the Ativ S is way better phone. I get about 30% more battery from the Ativ. Build quality is hands down better on the Ativ. The 920 screen got few small scratches in just a month, the Ativ S has 0 scratches after a year of heavy use. Also the L920's screen had small movement on the upper right corner, the Ativ S is very solid build and nothing feels shaky in it.

Now on topic and your comment. Yes the Lumia's camera is superior. The Ativ(s) there is microSD slot and also physical home button is a very nice addition. It comes down to preference, nothing is as simple as you claim it to be.

I can tell you that the Ativ S is the best phone I had in years. Its still so good that Im not even sure yet I will change to the never generation device and this is very rare for me to be so happy with a device after a year.
    04-07-2014 06:37 AM
    Unfortunately I have owned a galaxy vibrant, s2, and s3....seeing as all Samsung phones still use that cheap Plastic I will have to disagree about the quality of a Samsung phone vs my 920(I had 3...couldn't Choose a color), 810, 928, 1020, and my 1520 I have now.

Build quality wise, most will say goes to Nokia.
    Materials does not equal build quality. Many people hated the plastic Samsung uses but the build quality was very good. The S4 was a solid device in the hand with no creaks that was thin and light.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    04-07-2014 08:01 AM
    For all those who praise Nokia's build quality, I can point to people in the 920 and 928 forums who have returned at least 3 units with build quality issues.

Say what you want about Samsung's plastic, they know how to make it well and it holds up just as good as what Nokia produced.
    04-07-2014 08:51 AM
375 1234 ...