Nokia Lumia Icon Vs. Samsung Ativ SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatrat727

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Got the Icon when it first came out but not the Ativ SE is about to come out. Simular spec wise but I wonder is the Ativ the better device? My Icon is great but I wish battery could be better. Should I switch for the Ativ SE? I know the cameras are different and the Ativ does not have SST but I'm in FL I don't need gloves lol. What do you guys think?

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't own an Icon but I have had a few Samsung Windows Phone devices and won't buy another one. No matter how good their phones might or might not be (and it's really hit and miss IMO) their support is nowhere near as good as Nokia as far as I'm concerned.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I would keep the icon. Nokia has proven to be the better manufacturer over the last two years or so. Samsung has been proven to barley give a damn about their windows phone.

People use the excuse that Samsung updates their windows phone faster...well gee when you have like two models out there on limited carriers , I would hope that you can update your phone faster than the company with ten or more different models on multiple carriers across the world.

Nokia apps are a reason to keep the icon. Granted the Samsung phones do have apps for their phones but that's like saying windows phone has apps....well android and ios has better apps and same goes for Nokia apps.

Idk much about the battery life so I can't comment(I have a 1520) but in all honesty, I will probably stick with the company who has proven that they deserve the acclaim and popularity they have vs taking a rehashed phone that Samsung previously released and is now releasing as a hand me down.

Plus Nokia software tends to add more features not found in the OS and they tend to support their phones better...and longer and Samsung definitely doesn't do thinks like amber, black and cyan.

Stick with icon....

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Honest opinion. Don't think it would be worth the switch. From what we know both have similar specs like you said. So I don't see much point in switching. Since there won't be a big difference other than design and support. You are better off saving money and sticking with your ICON. Unless something on this new phone is just amazingly better than the ICON which I doubt.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
The Icon is the better phone. Don't forget the Samsung's specs are basically the same as the GS4 which came out a year ago.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I would go with the ATIV SE hands down. It would be a day one buy for any Sammy or HTC WP8 Flagship phone on Tmobile. My 925 was one of my worse upgrade decisions, it offers nothing original from my 8X or unlocked ATIV S.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Nokia apps bring value but it comes down to how you use the phone and what you do.

The Samsung has an sd card, so storage wont ever be a problem, and the Nokia Here Drive + will be in on it so it is actually a really good proposition. It is basically a repurposed gs4 - that device has been insanely popular. And wp8.1 will just fly on it.

But then the 930 has that spectacular camera. But, of course, your storage is limited.

Two excellent choices. Good lick deciding ;)

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Oh, unless i am wrong (it does happen) the ativ se is better than the gs4 as it has the faster qualcom 800 quad core. Basically the innards are the same as the icon/930. So the differences are cosmetic, and the camera b the rest you get with the Sammy.

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I have the Icon and I already ordered the SE. I had an S4, I like the form factor, and the Nokia "extras" (camera, camera button, etc) aren't worth the SD card and removable battery. Not to mention the lack of Glance (see all my other previous posts) and the whole "taking two pictures and only uploading the small one" thing makes my head hurt. The Nokia fanboys are off putting to me as well, so for me this is a better choice. My Icon will be up on ebay, of anyone is interested. I like WP enough to stay, and that should be the point for us all...

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I have the Icon and I already ordered the SE. I had an S4, I like the form factor,

I can't stand the cheap plastic of the Samsungs. The Note 3 drove me crazy with the heavy-handed Samsung UI. the pleather was a neat gimmick though

removable batteries and memory card slots are pluses though. But the camera and the video are key aspects for me.

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Got the Icon when it first came out but not the Ativ SE is about to come out. Simular spec wise but I wonder is the Ativ the better device? My Icon is great but I wish battery could be better. Should I switch for the Ativ SE? I know the cameras are different and the Ativ does not have SST but I'm in FL I don't need gloves lol. What do you guys think?

Galaxy GS4 Recycled... Gotta hand it to them though, what a way to make the most of leftover stock

LumiaIcon

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I have the Icon and I already ordered the SE. I had an S4, I like the form factor, and the Nokia "extras" (camera, camera button, etc) aren't worth the SD card and removable battery. Not to mention the lack of Glance (see all my other previous posts) and the whole "taking two pictures and only uploading the small one" thing makes my head hurt. The Nokia fanboys are off putting to me as well, so for me this is a better choice. My Icon will be up on ebay, of anyone is interested. I like WP enough to stay, and that should be the point for us all...

Build quality on Nokia is much better than Samsung...period. The imaging is better ... Period. The "small" photo is a function of the social networking platform limits and tge need to accommodate the persistent lack of an adequate data plan acquired by the "average" user - not the phone. At least Icon owners have the higher quality image rather than a phone that takes a lower quality image ONLY, simply to avoid "confusing" people.

tonyb81

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I have an Icon myself and I'm considering the SE and the main reason is form factor. Sure its plastic but its going to be a slimmer and lighter phone. I love the premium feel of the Icon but I hate the bulk and heaviness of it.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I have an Icon myself and I'm considering the SE and the main reason is form factor. Sure its plastic but its going to be a slimmer and lighter phone. I love the premium feel of the Icon but I hate the bulk and heaviness of it.

Decisions, decisions.... I love Nokia but do hate those super square corners on the Icon and even the 928. Which is why I kept my 822 and will wait for new devices. Plus, the lack of glance was the last straw.

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I think the ATIV SE is a good phone but it's overpriced.

Icon over the ATIV SE: The icon has premium build quality, inbuilt qi charging, nokia exclusive features and the 20MP shooter.

ATIV SE over the Icon: The ATIV SE is thinner and lighter than the icon, has the SD slot, IR blaster and a removable battery which is bigger than the icon's.

I think the ATIV SE should have been priced $150 on contract and $499 off-contract. I think so because the ATIV SE is very similar to the Galaxy S4 (in looks and specifications); and the S4 is $99 on contract and $499 off-contract on VZW

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Build quality on Nokia is much better than Samsung...period. The imaging is better ... Period. The "small" photo is a function of the social networking platform limits and tge need to accommodate the persistent lack of an adequate data plan acquired by the "average" user - not the phone. At least Icon owners have the higher quality image rather than a phone that takes a lower quality image ONLY, simply to avoid "confusing" people.

Man, you have too many periods...Tylenol for headaches, Midol for cramps...I kid.

Look, I had an S2, S3, and an S4. I had ZERO issues with "build quality" (whatever that means, anyway). Period. The Nokia photo thing is just dumb to me. Semicolon. I respect and appreciate what ya'll thank about Nokias, for many it seems they inspire the same devotion iProducts do. Cool. Personally, whether you use Glance or Double Tap or not, or can live without them or not, or ever heard of them or not, they are features Nokia puts on their handsets. And they didn't on thier newest handsets. And that's dumb. Exclamation point. To me, anyway...to excuse it away as something YOU don't use or like it to be Brand Blind to the fact they have omitted features they created. Silly.

But there ain't nothing WRONG with Samsung devices. If they idn't for you, cool, move on. But don't, please, don't keep making excuses for Nokia's shortcomings and making tired recriminations about Samsung devices you ain't never seen. Can we all just get along and be happy someone, anyone, is making a device that could potentially up our WP market share to 4% (questions mark)...

Peace to you, brother. A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb