Nokia Lumia Icon Vs. Samsung Ativ SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I think and hope that no one here is advocating for no other OEMs to jump onboard and support WP8, cause that would be crazy. The OP asked for opinions in order to make a decision. I gave my 2 cents and screwed up since I wasn't aware that the Samsung had a Snapdragon 800, but like I said before I've been known to be wrong from time to time.

The OP, like most people who post this type of thread, hasn't really said what the needs are, so it's hard to avoid some OEM bashing at some point.

The Icon and Ativ SE are targeted for two slightly different groups. Those who want a more versatile camera, wireless charging, used a fixed amount of memory, etc will pick the Icon. Those who want expandable storage, removable batteries, solid camera, don't mind the Samsung design and a lighter device will pick the Ativ SE. There are hardly any reviews for the SE out. The guts for both phones are the same in the processor and RAM dept.

Personally, I just don't like the unnecessary Nokia trolling as the greatest thing to WP and other OEMs shouldn't bother. Like I said in my original post, as a t-mo USA customer, I wish I had a choice between the Icon and the Ativ SE, and not the chicke**** not really supported if they don't sell well devices that they always take.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Got the Icon when it first came out but not the Ativ SE is about to come out. Simular spec wise but I wonder is the Ativ the better device? My Icon is great but I wish battery could be better. Should I switch for the Ativ SE? I know the cameras are different and the Ativ does not have SST but I'm in FL I don't need gloves lol. What do you guys think?

If you think SE is better for your needs, then switch. No use asking a lot of people who can live with each handset's compromises because it's their preferences, not yours. I prefer Nokia over Samsung handsets but it is me, not you.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937 Malaysia) using Tapatalk

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I will be keeping my Icon till something truly better comes along, next year.
I am sure the ATIV SE is probably not a bad phone....

IMO, looking at the specs,, the ATIV SE is actually a bit of a downgrade. Despite being a 2.3Ghz CPU
The Camera is only 13MP, may not count for much to many, but the 20MP ZEISS Optics full HD recording with 4 mic's is a plus
The fact that you can take RAW (DNG) Pictures is a huge plus if you feel like getting into Post Processing.
I do not think the addition of an SD Card is worth what you lose in the long run,
the Icon 32G is generally plenty of space (for me), and you can easily synch and off load pictures etc when needed through USB for the large pic's, the rest can go on OneDrive.
(yes, I know you can do the same with the ATIV SE and having the SD Card can simplify things when you can switch them out at will),
ok, so, it's a slight plus, I have not seen any use for it though.
Had a phone with SD Card a long time ago, hardly ever used it for much.

The ONLY other plus there might be to getting the Ativ SE is if you have other Samsung Devices like TV and or BluRay Player
The ability to synch the devices and project/share the screen or control them from the phone is neat.
but, If I recall, I saw in WP8.1 SDK the ability to natively project to another screen
I am assuming any WiFi/Network connected screen? That will be awesome if true. I have no idea though at this time about that.

So, FOR ME, and I would recommend to anyone else, get/keep the Icon.
There isn't enough incentive based on specs and price to get the Ativ SE.

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Why is everyone saying the ATIV SE is cheap plastic? Isn't it going to be a brushed aluminum phone? Samsung was mostly held back by the RAM hungry Android OS they're by no means a bad OEM. If you care about the long term success of WP as an OS then we need a major OEM like Samsung to push Nokia to new heights. No competition is only a bad thing for consumers. I own a Lumia 928 and my next phone with either be the Icon or ATIV SE I haven't decided yet. Unless of course the rumored Sony Windows Phone comes out and changes my mind before then.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Why is everyone saying the ATIV SE is cheap plastic? Isn't it going to be a brushed aluminum phone? Samsung was mostly held back by the RAM hungry Android OS they're by no means a bad OEM. If you care about the long term success of WP as an OS then we need a major OEM like Samsung to push Nokia to new heights. No competition is only a bad thing for consumers. I own a Lumia 928 and my next phone with either be the Icon or ATIV SE I haven't decided yet. Unless of course the rumored Sony Windows Phone comes out and changes my mind before then.

All good points. I love Nokia and do have a soft spot for the brand, my very first cell phone was a Nokia. Having said that, totally agree with your point of no competition ultimately hurts consumers. Had AT&T been allowed to buy out T-Mobile, we wouldn't be seeing the recent price changes amount US carriers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Go for the Icon. Since the Icon has the better camera than the Samsung and all of the other specs are equal, then the Icon is the winner. Also, the build quality of Nokia phones are better than Samsung's. I owned three different Samsung phones prior to getting my first WP (a 928), and the build quality of the Nokia was a lot better. Also, Nokia's support is a lot better than Samsung's. Samsung does't put a whole lot into WP because the OS is a minor one for them. It is focused on Android and developing its own OS.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
:D LOL "Since the Icon has the better camera than the Samsung and all of the other specs are equal, then the Icon is the winner."

First of all, Im from Finland "a.k.a Nokia land" and a big Nokia fan, but still can be objective on things. I had the Lumia 920 and switched to the Ativ S and can tell you the Ativ S is way better phone. I get about 30% more battery from the Ativ. Build quality is hands down better on the Ativ. The 920 screen got few small scratches in just a month, the Ativ S has 0 scratches after a year of heavy use. Also the L920's screen had small movement on the upper right corner, the Ativ S is very solid build and nothing feels shaky in it.

Now on topic and your comment. Yes the Lumia's camera is superior. The Ativ(s) there is microSD slot and also physical home button is a very nice addition. It comes down to preference, nothing is as simple as you claim it to be.

I can tell you that the Ativ S is the best phone I had in years. Its still so good that Im not even sure yet I will change to the never generation device and this is very rare for me to be so happy with a device after a year.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately I have owned a galaxy vibrant, s2, and s3....seeing as all Samsung phones still use that cheap Plastic I will have to disagree about the quality of a Samsung phone vs my 920(I had 3...couldn't Choose a color), 810, 928, 1020, and my 1520 I have now.

Build quality wise, most will say goes to Nokia.
:D LOL "Since the Icon has the better camera than the Samsung and all of the other specs are equal, then the Icon is the winner."

First of all, Im from Finland "a.k.a Nokia land" and a big Nokia fan, but still can be objective on things. I had the Lumia 920 and switched to the Ativ S and can tell you the Ativ S is way better phone. I get about 30% more battery from the Ativ. Build quality is hands down better on the Ativ. The 920 screen got few small scratches in just a month, the Ativ S has 0 scratches after a year of heavy use. Also the L920's screen had small movement on the upper right corner, the Ativ S is very solid build and nothing feels shaky in it.

Now on topic and your comment. Yes the Lumia's camera is superior. The Ativ(s) there is microSD slot and also physical home button is a very nice addition. It comes down to preference, nothing is as simple as you claim it to be.

I can tell you that the Ativ S is the best phone I had in years. Its still so good that Im not even sure yet I will change to the never generation device and this is very rare for me to be so happy with a device after a year.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately I have owned a galaxy vibrant, s2, and s3....seeing as all Samsung phones still use that cheap Plastic I will have to disagree about the quality of a Samsung phone vs my 920(I had 3...couldn't Choose a color), 810, 928, 1020, and my 1520 I have now.

Build quality wise, most will say goes to Nokia.

Materials does not equal build quality. Many people hated the plastic Samsung uses but the build quality was very good. The S4 was a solid device in the hand with no creaks that was thin and light.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
For all those who praise Nokia's build quality, I can point to people in the 920 and 928 forums who have returned at least 3 units with build quality issues.

Say what you want about Samsung's plastic, they know how to make it well and it holds up just as good as what Nokia produced.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Battery life is no longer an issue for me I have one of them portable chargers thats like 12,000mah and can charge my phone to full from 0 about 3 times.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
For all those who praise Nokia's build quality, I can point to people in the 920 and 928 forums who have returned at least 3 units with build quality issues.

Say what you want about Samsung's plastic, they know how to make it well and it holds up just as good as what Nokia produced.

Strongly disagree with that lol there is is no comparison to Samsung mess to Lumia hardware lol.

My roommate is ordering this phone and I'm doing my best to convince him to get the icon.

Other OEMs can bother. But Samsung can stick with their galaxy as far as I'm concerned.

I want HTC and Sony because at least their hardware will likely be attractive and better built vs Samsung's uninspired cheap mess.

Tony_Offends_U

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Strongly disagree with that lol there is is no comparison to Samsung mess to Lumia hardware lol.

My roommate is ordering this phone and I'm doing my best to convince him to get the icon.

Other OEMs can bother. But Samsung can stick with their galaxy as far as I'm concerned.

I want HTC and Sony because at least their hardware will likely be attractive and better built vs Samsung's uninspired cheap mess.

I can tell you're one of those people who eat what everyone else eats, wears the clothes everyone else wears, listens to whatever music everyone is listening to, and says the same thing everyone else says. You sound like the collective WP Samsung haters all rolled into one person.

I agree with the previous poster that Samsung > Nokia in terms of build quality. I've had the original Galaxy S, Samsung Focus, Focus S, Focus Flash. NONE of them had problems dealing with hardware/build quality. Now, ask me about my Lumia 900 and 920. I still have my 920 around here somewhere. Screen flickers all the time, can't use the FFC at all because of all the dust, light bleeding, creaking, gets hot while using HERE Drive whereas my wife's 8XT stays cool and even charges while using the same app. And please tell me what Nokia is building all these phones out of, I'm sure it's plastic.

I encourage you to stop being blind.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Man, it's bad enough that we have stupid Android and iphone fanboys that harp on those who prefer WP, but to have people here argue and bicker over OEMs?

Basically, IMO, it boils down to a less capable camera versus slightly more battery life and more storage options. Build quality and these other factors are all a matter of preference from person to person. Seriously, there are a lot of unnecessary posts in this thread.

I also agree that the blind Nokia love is pretty bad here. I love my Icon, but no OEM is perfect, including Nokia. So it's good to have options and people here shouldn't be jumping on those who are considering the alternative options to enjoy WP.

On topic, I wonder how much better the battery life will be on the Ativ. I always thought they should have used at least a 2600 mAh battery, if not a 3000 mAh, in the Icon. So it'll be interesting to see the difference there.

As for me, if the camera was better on the Ativ, I would probably consider switching. As of right now though, the slightly larger battery isn't enough when my Icon still gets me through a day just fine.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
^ Yes exactly.

I would love to have a Nokia and the camera, but for the last year I honestly have found the Ativ S to be the best WP device. This is my opinion and I have no problem if someone says the L920 is better. For me it really wasnt.

The battery difference between Ativ S / L920 is due to bigger battery 2300 / 2000 mAh and amoled / LCD. (At least these)

I wonder whats the size of the SE's battery?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Well, we are agree to disagree. Build quality is subjective. There are many iPhones, Galaxies and Lumias out there with issues. They're TECH devices and lemons are out there.

Personally, I'd rather have more OEMs involved to give people choice. If you like Nokia, good for you. Whenever people ask me about what phone to get, I first ask them what THEY want the phone do, and show them how to phone shop smartly, not trying to convince them based on what I think they should get or not.

I've probably owned or used more cell phones than many people here will own in their life within the past 10 years. Build quality is subjective and individual.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I had to like and thank that post because it was hilarious.
If i followed trends, I'd own an iPhone or a Galaxy and be on imore or android central not here with the 3rd best OS and smartphone.

It has nothing to do with being "Blind". If anything anyone who supports Samsung's rehash and lack of marketing and half-done support is Blind.

I've owned a 810, 920, 928, 1020 and 1520(not to mention my siblings have Lumias now thanks to me...521 and 1020 and my mother recently got a 1020 after trying the 925).

I've never had an issue with my hardware on any Lumia(Nor have they). I am not saying there are not issues. I am sure there are issues. There are issues with any phone. Nothing is perfect.

On the Android side, Samsung phones are essentially all hype and marketing. If I had to buy an Android phone, it would be a Sony or HTC or if necessary a Motorola. I'd buy a ZTE windows phone before I'd buy Samsung...and that's saying something.

Their phones feel cheap, they are uninspired with the design(Lumias follow the same design true...yet they are at least easily differentiated for the most part), Their UI on Android Phones is not that great and essentially a childish copy of other UI/OS(The Irony of Samsung Fans before calling Windows Phone UI childish...yet touchwiz is even worse. I remember those days on AC lol).

I remember poor reception and horrible GPS that Samsung Phones had...that were heavily reported and complained about(Samsung is NOT known for their stellar cellular reception). Camera is average at best. I can go on.

Samsung Fans are a lot like Apple fans....They will accept whatever Samsung throws out even if it is a rehash and scraps and they will band together against others who don't appreciate or accept rehashes. It's not even the fact that it is a rehash of hardware....It's the fact that not only you are giving us your recycled scraps, you don't do ANYTHING to market your devices and it proves you don't care enough about your customers.

I appreciate what Nokia has done and continued to do...Even HTC differentiated with their windows phones with Beats and a VERY attractive design. If a company with as bad luck as HTC managed to design some stellar hardware there is no reason Samsung Can't, other than they don't care. Nokia has in turn done way more for the platform than anyone and it's funny to me the Nokia hate people have because without Nokia, who would've gotten the apps we do have? Samsung? LMFAO

What does a Samsung Phone have that Nokia and Windows Phone have? What is that it factor that showcases they truly do care about their Windows Phone customers?

Oh I forgot...they have an SD Card and a slightly larger battery and an IR blaster...Cool then.
I can tell you're one of those people who eat what everyone else eats, wears the clothes everyone else wears, listens to whatever music everyone is listening to, and says the same thing everyone else says. You sound like the collective WP Samsung haters all rolled into one person.

I agree with the previous poster that Samsung > Nokia in terms of build quality. I've had the original Galaxy S, Samsung Focus, Focus S, Focus Flash. NONE of them had problems dealing with hardware/build quality. Now, ask me about my Lumia 900 and 920. I still have my 920 around here somewhere. Screen flickers all the time, can't use the FFC at all because of all the dust, light bleeding, creaking, gets hot while using HERE Drive whereas my wife's 8XT stays cool and even charges while using the same app. And please tell me what Nokia is building all these phones out of, I'm sure it's plastic.

I encourage you to stop being blind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo