Nokia Lumia Icon Vs. Samsung Ativ SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Got it. Noted. As I was told when I disagreed with Nokia shooting rays of golden sunshine out their azz, move on. Or don't buy one. We heard you, you don't like Samsung. Glad you don't have one...

I am glad i don't either lol. I just wished people wouldn't discredit people's opinions because they don't worship your preferred manufacturer :p

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Samsung Usual Crap= Let me throw out a rehash of our Android version, slightly tweaked and then toss it to the market and then barely market it. When sales don't do very well, I'll blame windows phone/Microsoft aka what they have done with the Ativ S...and the ATIV S Neo which came out almost a year after the original ATIV S. Oh and let's not forget the oft-forgotten Odyssey.

We aren't going to make a windows phone with any defining features...Let's just make one and be done.

I can only hope that HTC may decide to continue their 8x lineup as those truly were the best looking devices I've seen tbh(if only they were a little thicker). While an M8 type of phone would be amazing hardware wise, I hope they do another 8x line.

How is it slightly tweaked? Its a different design and processor. Its similar in shape to the S4 but to say it's the same thing would be a lie. Nokia has to make defining features and bring in money otherwise they go belly up. Samsung has some users who are interested so there is some demand, just like Samsung could do some marketing Nokia can too. They are real lax with it.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
When the Ativ S was announced, people were interested. Even though it was the same plastic the "Samsung plastic hating" crowd moaned about, it was a better looking phone than the S3 certainly, and on par with the S4 (I still say the Ativ S looks better than both S3 and S4, just as the Focus S looked better than the S2). I was going to get an Ativ S, but by the time it launched, I chose the ill fated 810 due to availability. When I got a Ativ S for a friend of mine, I instantly was reminded why I would have wanted this phone initially. It is really nice.

People ***** about how the ATIV line is rehashed Android. Um, WP8 and Android from an internal perspective can run on the same hardware now that MSFT has added support. Samsung actually doesn't have to do a wow in design in the WP8 space to be different. Nokia, and to a lesser extent HTC, already do that. Samsung is smart by catering to a crowd that likes their familiar stylings but in a more matured/conservative look by playing to their strengths - big screen, removable battery, SD slot and less gimmicks than in their Android line. They just need to throw out an ad here and there to sell a few of these things.

I wish Samsung would add more unique apps to WP8, and that's where my gripe with them is. People need to get off the "plastic" argument. Samsung's plastic is just as durable and their phones are much easier to get repair parts for and repair than both Nokia and HTC (and I've repaired a few phones in my day too). If you don't like their plastic, fine. There are tons of people who do and buy Samsung's stuff just fine.

Last time I checked polycarbonate is...plastic.

Last edited:

Dk92

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I'd say they're about equal. They both have their Ups and downs, but you still get your money's worth with either phone. Its all preference in this case.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm still looking forward to trying out an Ativ SE in store. The Icon felt much better than the 928 in hand to me. For some reason as a former 920 owner I liked the feel of that plastic better than the 928. So the Icon's more conservative looks and better finish caught my eye. Still, for new buyers the choice is clear:

If you consume more content on the phone, such as movies, music, videos, games: get the Ativ SE.

If you want a more versatile camera, the convenience of wireless charging, and a broader OEM app support, get the Icon

You cannot lose either way.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Isn't it true that when the ATIV line was announced? Samsung cancelled plans to sell their devices(Phone and Tablet/PC) because of low interest despite the fact they really didn't market said devices aka a new product? Okay then...and I was wrong for saying Samsung doesn't much care to market their devices or support their products how exactly?

It doesn’t matter whether or not you have a point here, this isn’t what the thread is about. Again it’s about the Icon vs the ATIV SE, nothing else.

Personally, I do find people are being a bit too sensitive/overdramatic about this. I gave my opinion about why i thought OP should keep the Icon over the SE(if you noticed my original post was not anything extremely bad). I was respectful(and for the most part, I have been still respectful aside from sarcastic).

I am not "Shi**ing on anyone's parade" and if someone is really that offended because i said that I feel that Samsung's phones are cheap feeling(Which to me they are and i am not the only one who believes that). Something is wrong if someone is offended by that...
That is my opinion.

If someone is offended because I said Samsung does not properly support their devices as best they could....you can't get mad at that. Unlike the first part about the Build Quality/Material aka my opinion, this is fact. They do not support their products. I could get behind the cheap feeling plastic of Samsung(In fact, i have owned many galaxies in the past). If there was no Nokia Lumia devices ever thought of, I likely WOULD have a Samsung or an HTC(or God Forbid, I'd still be on android...there's a scary thought).

I can't get behind a company who shells out the same usual crap they usually do just to say "I have one too.

Again regurgitating the same stuff that you have said before. Is there really a need to express your dislike of Samsung so many times? You expressed your opinion in your first post, just to follow up with another post bashing Samsung and insulting anyone that prefers them as mindless drones. I don’t know if anyone got offended, I too would hope not since phones aren’t “serious business” like that, but it does get old when people like to repeat the same rubbish on anything other than a Nokia phone around here. Hence: ****ting on people’s parade.

I never once said my opinion is the only one that matters. Do I think I am right? Of course. But i also at the same time realize, I feel this way and those who use Samsung or like them may not. I do advise you to look at your post and what you're saying to me because the moment someone speaks negatively about Samsung being cheap or not supporting the devices, people get offended. It's a PHONE and a MANUFACTURER...Not the end of the world. Have a friendly debate and discussion(Which is what i thought this initially was about). Don't get upset because someone called your manufacturer and phone of choice cheap.

You go beyond just talking about the manufacturer and phone when you post crap like this:

Samsung Fans are a lot like Apple fans....They will accept whatever Samsung throws out even if it is a rehash and scraps and they will band together against others who don't appreciate or accept rehashes

Also of course you think you’re right, most people have issues looking at things objectively! /sarcasm.

I know there are some Samsung haters who go around saying(Samdung, Crapsung, etc etc) now that is absolutely immature and stupid but nobody in this threat should be getting mad with me for my opinion because it is just that my opinion.

Yes, it’s just your opinion, that you have expressed over and over…

I respect ANY and every OEM who comes to Windows Phone ready to show us what they have to offer. Samsung to date has literally shown me nothing they can offer and nothing I can respect.

It doesn’t matter if you respect an inanimate object or not. What should matter in this thread is how the ATIV SE directly compares to the Icon, how they differ, how each can or cannot provide a satisfactory experience for the user, etc. The point of this thread seems to be lost on some people here, including you.

It does not Matter if Nokia is "All In With" windows phone....Samsung as pointed in this thread is the "planet's largest manufacturer". If a company with the issues Nokia has had managed to bring out awesome hardware like 1020 and 1520 and even a super cheap phone like the 520/521...Samsung could do the same thing if they wanted and likely have done so if they wished to do so. They aren't hurting for money and considering I am willing to bet more people brought Lumia 1520s than the niche Galaxy zoom, they could have done great things with windows phone by now.

Samsung have a design language throughout their products, same with Nokia, HTC, LG, etc. It makes no sense to deviate from these design principles for the smallest phone market. Sure, they could have designed an entirely new phone just because the 1520 sold more than the Galaxy Zoom (really stupid comparison there BTW), but that doesn’t make any business sense at all. You’re not going to base your design decisions off of the performance of a poorly designed camera phone.

Nokia did great things for WP because they had to for their own survival. Other than basic firmware and apps, I’m not sure what more you want Samsung to do. They have some apps exclusively for their phones, one I wish was available to all actually, and their phones are considered good, if not great quality. Nokia already invested in their HERE, Music, and imaging technology to make up for gaps found on WP and to better stand out. There aren’t similar gaps on the Android, which gives Samsung less reason to make such apps exclusively for their smallest market.

I agree that Samsung could do more. I think they should name their windows phones Galaxy SW instead of ATIV so they can ride off of the brand recognition and hopefully get more sales. I think they could market it more, same as Nokia and MS. So I do see where you’re coming from, at least partially. However none of this has to do with how good or bad the ATIV SE compares to the Icon.

They don't because they don't care and that is why I speak up anytime Samsung is mentioned alongside nokia. On paper, the specs may match(or even beat) a Lumia...but i look at the overall picture and unless Samsung is going to change the way they are with windows phone, the SE will be just another great phone from a manufacturer who doesn't care too much for its customers and if you are happy with getting rehashes and recycled products, then so be it.

Your entire post, and point, falls apart when you admit that the SE will be “another great phone”. You’re essentially telling people they shouldn’t get a great phone, which makes absolutely no sense. It also makes it seem like you just have a bias against Samsung, further giving people a reason not to take your opinion serious.

Your opinion to how much they care for their customers isn’t relevant to this thread.

But don't get defensive and sensitive if someone calls Samsung out on it.
Being a fan of Nokia has nothing to do with it, I'd still not want a thing to do with Samsung even if I was on Android....they are a company that copies others and profits off cheap and tacky imitation and their devices are hyped up galore.

I’m not getting defensive, I just find some posts in this thread unnecessary and disruptive towards the topic. I have also seen, and become annoyed, by the disdain thrown at people who dare consider a phone other than Nokia’s.

Also, I’m not sure how much you pay attention to the tech industry, but imitation is EVERYWHERE! Much of the competition in a lot of the technology consumer industry is doing what the competition does, but do it better. You can’t hold it against only Samsung for doing what Nokia, MS, Apple, LG, HTC, and just about every damn tech company out there does as well.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I never said that people shouldn't buy a great phone. The SE in theory is a great phone and i admit that it is. But aside from a Amoled Screen,IR blasted, Removable Battery and SD support...What does the ATIV do that makes it better than an Icon? What is its stand out feature. When you buy a Galaxy you know that it is likely better than most Androids because stands out as such. The ATIV SE is at best comparable and mostly equal(and better in a few irrelevant areas as far as SD support and removable battery). Which is surprising since Samsung usually is able to beat out their competitors with features galore that are really unnecessary but still cool to have. Samsung usually isn't "EQUAL" to others...Look at HTC, LG, Motorola and Sony vs Samsung.

Both phones ARE GOOD But at the same time there is a phone with a proven track record from a company who has done more for Windows Phone than Samsung(Whether Nokia had to or not) and likely adds more features and support and partnerships which is why i told my friend "Samsung is alright for windows phone and they do good but Nokia overall is better with their hardware, support and software updates/features."

One could even say that Nokia is the samsung of windows phone(which i also told them) since Samsung does to add more interesting or better certain limitations of Android than the Stock version much like Nokia does with WIndows phone.

Onto your next point...There's imitation and out and out copy lol. I'd like to think that HTC's blink feed is sort of reminiscent of windows phone but it is not an out and out copy and quite unique on its own. IOS 7 has a lot of visual elements of Windows phone yet i wouldn't say it is a direct copy. Samsung Galaxy Line however....yeah direct copy and cheap imitation.

3. You said you are unsure of what I want Samsung to do? It's not about apps or anything like that. Well not entirely. I would HATE for them to add the Windows Phone to their Galaxy Line. That just screams "Me too" and Galaxy is known as android and that is their brand. I say the ATIV naming is probably the best thing they have done. But i want Samsung to actually put at least a 1/10 of their muscle out there to give the phones they release a fighting chance.

I see commercials for their Galaxy phones which are immediately amusing and cool. I actually like the commercials. It would not kill them to throw out some type of commercial for their ativ line of phones or tablet or what have you.

Remember Nokia's iconic(lol) commercials for their 1020. I loved those commercials. People who never heard of Windows Phone loved them. Even people who hate windows phone found the commercials hilarious and well-done. Not to mention those weirdly odd commercials that Nokia did during the 925 era. There was even the commercials for 928 on Verizon and the cheap/generic Att commercials that showcase the 920 and later 1520 in their commercials.

Can't tell you how many times people have stopped me to ask me about my phone in the past year from those commercials which gives me a chance then sell and hype the OS up. Word of mouth.

I want to see that from Samsung. I want to see those types of commercials they have done with Android(Galaxy vs Iphone) for us. Them simply just releasing something is not going to do anything for adoption of our OS. HTC also threw their windows phone out there...ZTE did as well. Nobody hardly buys those devices because they either don't know they are out there or don't know what is special about them.

I compared the Galaxy Zoom to the 1520(if you would go back and reread) because Samsung is known to 4. test drive silly types of devices(the panned Samsung Galaxy Mega and is it a camera or phone Galaxy Zoom). There is no reason why they couldn't change it and try something a little different. Granted those phones fall in line with their Galaxy Design but at the same time they were still unique and had those defining features. Albeit they were kind of dumb(The Galaxy Mega had a horrible screen and the Zoom is not something that is a mainstream device) but still I'd love to see their efforts on Windows Phone with something like that.

5. i am not hating on Samsung or anyone for that matter who chooses to buy them(I buy Lumia and I convince others to do the same...and on the android side i tell my friends to go HTC or Sony if they can or give LG a try). I am hating the mentality that you guys are insinuating that we should be grateful that Samsung is gracing us with devices like this because "unlike Nokia who was all in and needs to support windows phone", Samsung doesn't need to."

ANd that is why I made the comment that Samsung fans are just like apple fans(people they criticize) as they will literally take whatever samsung gives them and not desire more from their manufacturers. Rehashed designs from Last year's model. Likely Good But not excellent camera.

Not to insult anyone to prove a point.

Any criticism i made for Samsung has nothing to do with Nokia(though Nokia HAS earned the respect and acclaim that they have now within our community and personally i think that people who have negative sentiments against Nokia are the types who will trash a Nokia without realizing that without them, you wouldn't have 1/2 the stuff we have) but me wanting Samsung to at least make a difference.

If they are going to help us get Market share, Go for it. But put muscle behind it. There is nothing wrong with advertising their phones(they do it with Galaxy). Keep the design language but change the materials used a bit or at least refine them. Bring some great features to your windows phone. But Samsung is the same company who does nothing to support their devices(check their Windows rt tablet) or market them but then turn around and blame Microsoft/RT for poor sales. Okay then....

Unlike Android, samsung has a slight advantage with me. If they started adding compelling hardware that wasn't so plasticky and cheap, and features that actually BEAT lumias and weren't just "good as" lumias, I'd give them a second chance since it is not the software we really buy into for windows phone but the hardware.

It doesn’t matter whether or not you have a point here, this isn’t what the thread is about. Again it’s about the Icon vs the ATIV SE, nothing else.

Again regurgitating the same stuff that you have said before. Is there really a need to express your dislike of Samsung so many times? You expressed your opinion in your first post, just to follow up with another post bashing Samsung and insulting anyone that prefers them as mindless drones. I don’t know if anyone got offended, I too would hope not since phones aren’t “serious business” like that, but it does get old when people like to repeat the same rubbish on anything other than a Nokia phone around here. Hence: ****ting on people’s parade.

You go beyond just talking about the manufacturer and phone when you post crap like this:

Also of course you think you’re right, most people have issues looking at things objectively! /sarcasm.

Yes, it’s just your opinion, that you have expressed over and over…

It doesn’t matter if you respect an inanimate object or not. What should matter in this thread is how the ATIV SE directly compares to the Icon, how they differ, how each can or cannot provide a satisfactory experience for the user, etc. The point of this thread seems to be lost on some people here, including you.

Samsung have a design language throughout their products, same with Nokia, HTC, LG, etc. It makes no sense to deviate from these design principles for the smallest phone market. Sure, they could have designed an entirely new phone just because the 1520 sold more than the Galaxy Zoom (really stupid comparison there BTW), but that doesn’t make any business sense at all. You’re not going to base your design decisions off of the performance of a poorly designed camera phone.

Nokia did great things for WP because they had to for their own survival. Other than basic firmware and apps, I’m not sure what more you want Samsung to do. They have some apps exclusively for their phones, one I wish was available to all actually, and their phones are considered good, if not great quality. Nokia already invested in their HERE, Music, and imaging technology to make up for gaps found on WP and to better stand out. There aren’t similar gaps on the Android, which gives Samsung less reason to make such apps exclusively for their smallest market.

I agree that Samsung could do more. I think they should name their windows phones Galaxy SW instead of ATIV so they can ride off of the brand recognition and hopefully get more sales. I think they could market it more, same as Nokia and MS. So I do see where you’re coming from, at least partially. However none of this has to do with how good or bad the ATIV SE compares to the Icon.

Your entire post, and point, falls apart when you admit that the SE will be “another great phone”. You’re essentially telling people they shouldn’t get a great phone, which makes absolutely no sense. It also makes it seem like you just have a bias against Samsung, further giving people a reason not to take your opinion serious.

Your opinion to how much they care for their customers isn’t relevant to this thread.

I’m not getting defensive, I just find some posts in this thread unnecessary and disruptive towards the topic. I have also seen, and become annoyed, by the disdain thrown at people who dare consider a phone other than Nokia’s.

Also, I’m not sure how much you pay attention to the tech industry, but imitation is EVERYWHERE! Much of the competition in a lot of the technology consumer industry is doing what the competition does, but do it better. You can’t hold it against only Samsung for doing what Nokia, MS, Apple, LG, HTC, and just about every damn tech company out there does as well.

Last edited:

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I never said that people shouldn't buy a great phone. The SE in theory is a great phone and i admit that it is. But aside from a Amoled Screen,IR blasted, Removable Battery and SD support...What does the ATIV do that makes it better than an Icon? What is its stand out feature. When you buy a Galaxy you know that it is likely better than most Androids because stands out as such. The ATIV SE is at best comparable and mostly equal(and better in a few irrelevant areas as far as SD support and removable battery). Which is surprising since Samsung usually is able to beat out their competitors with features galore that are really unnecessary but still cool to have. Samsung usually isn't "EQUAL" to others...Look at HTC, LG, Motorola and Sony vs Samsung.

Both phones ARE GOOD But at the same time there is a phone with a proven track record from a company who has done more for Windows Phone than Samsung(Whether Nokia had to or not) and likely adds more features and support and partnerships which is why i told my friend "Samsung is alright for windows phone and they do good but Nokia overall is better with their hardware, support and software updates/features."

One could even say that Nokia is the samsung of windows phone(which i also told them) since Samsung does to add more interesting or better certain limitations of Android than the Stock version much like Nokia does with WIndows phone.

Onto your next point...There's imitation and out and out copy lol. I'd like to think that HTC's blink feed is sort of reminiscent of windows phone but it is not an out and out copy and quite unique on its own. IOS 7 has a lot of visual elements of Windows phone yet i wouldn't say it is a direct copy. Samsung Galaxy Line however....yeah direct copy and cheap imitation.

3. You said you are unsure of what I want Samsung to do? It's not about apps or anything like that. Well not entirely. I would HATE for them to add the Windows Phone to their Galaxy Line. That just screams "Me too" and Galaxy is known as android and that is their brand. I say the ATIV naming is probably the best thing they have done. But i want Samsung to actually put at least a 1/10 of their muscle out there to give the phones they release a fighting chance.

I see commercials for their Galaxy phones which are immediately amusing and cool. I actually like the commercials. It would not kill them to throw out some type of commercial for their ativ line of phones or tablet or what have you.

Remember Nokia's iconic(lol) commercials for their 1020. I loved those commercials. People who never heard of Windows Phone loved them. Even people who hate windows phone found the commercials hilarious and well-done. Not to mention those weirdly odd commercials that Nokia did during the 925 era. There was even the commercials for 928 on Verizon and the cheap/generic Att commercials that showcase the 920 and later 1520 in their commercials.

Can't tell you how many times people have stopped me to ask me about my phone in the past year from those commercials which gives me a chance then sell and hype the OS up. Word of mouth.

I want to see that from Samsung. I want to see those types of commercials they have done with Android(Galaxy vs Iphone) for us. Them simply just releasing something is not going to do anything for adoption of our OS. HTC also threw their windows phone out there...ZTE did as well. Nobody hardly buys those devices because they either don't know they are out there or don't know what is special about them.

I compared the Galaxy Zoom to the 1520(if you would go back and reread) because Samsung is known to 4. test drive silly types of devices(the panned Samsung Galaxy Mega and is it a camera or phone Galaxy Zoom). There is no reason why they couldn't change it and try something a little different. Granted those phones fall in line with their Galaxy Design but at the same time they were still unique and had those defining features. Albeit they were kind of dumb(The Galaxy Mega had a horrible screen and the Zoom is not something that is a mainstream device) but still I'd love to see their efforts on Windows Phone with something like that.

5. i am not hating on Samsung or anyone for that matter who chooses to buy them(I buy Lumia and I convince others to do the same...and on the android side i tell my friends to go HTC or Sony if they can or give LG a try). I am hating the mentality that you guys are insinuating that we should be grateful that Samsung is gracing us with devices like this because "unlike Nokia who was all in and needs to support windows phone", Samsung doesn't need to."

ANd that is why I made the comment that Samsung fans are just like apple fans(people they criticize) as they will literally take whatever samsung gives them and not desire more from their manufacturers. Rehashed designs from Last year's model. Likely Good But not excellent camera.

Not to insult anyone to prove a point.

Any criticism i made for Samsung has nothing to do with Nokia(though Nokia HAS earned the respect and acclaim that they have now within our community and personally i think that people who have negative sentiments against Nokia are the types who will trash a Nokia without realizing that without them, you wouldn't have 1/2 the stuff we have) but me wanting Samsung to at least make a difference.

If they are going to help us get Market share, Go for it. But put muscle behind it. There is nothing wrong with advertising their phones(they do it with Galaxy). Keep the design language but change the materials used a bit or at least refine them. Bring some great features to your windows phone. But Samsung is the same company who does nothing to support their devices(check their Windows rt tablet) or market them but then turn around and blame Microsoft/RT for poor sales. Okay then....

Unlike Android, samsung has a slight advantage with me. If they started adding compelling hardware that wasn't so plasticky and cheap, and features that actually BEAT lumias and weren't just "good as" lumias, I'd give them a second chance since it is not the software we really buy into for windows phone but the hardware.

I'm curious how you think Samsung is a copy? Everyone know Samsung has their own UI and design language so who are they copying?

Tony_Offends_U

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
But aside from a Amoled Screen,IR blasted, Removable Battery and SD support...What does the ATIV do that makes it better than an Icon?

If they started adding compelling hardware that wasn't so plasticky and cheap

You could actually flip that first statement, what does the Icon do that makes it better than the ATIV SE?

And for the second one, I saw a SGS5 (on video, of course) get dropped purposely 3 times then run over by an SUV, nothing happened to it. Still put together and working. So plastic yes, cheap absolutely not.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
You could actually flip that first statement, what does the Icon do that makes it better than the ATIV SE?

And for the second one, I saw a SGS5 (on video, of course) get dropped purposely 3 times then run over by an SUV, nothing happened to it. Still put together and working. So plastic yes, cheap absolutely not.

Lets get the obvious out the way....the camera of course. The fact the we get the extended updates of amber, black, cyan, etc I am looking forward to what additional features cyan will bring....when is the last time you heard of those types of os extensions from Samsung.

The Nokia specific apps which even if you don't use them(lord knows I don't use all of em), it still is good to have the option.

From my understanding most of the apps that we have gotten are usually Nokia exclusive

Not to mention there is usually a promo going on with Nokia devices. Like how I got that free coupon for the app store if you brought the Lumia at a certain time.

It is stuff like that makes the windows phone experience whole when your OEM really sort of extends the feature.

I feel like if I were to buy a Samsung phone today I would get a great windows phone experience. Camera is decent likely and the os will perform well but I want something that makes great excellent.

^that's just my opinion.
Plus iit bears repeating again...the camera :p there is a reason why I am the go to guy when it comes to taking photos at social gatherings. But as I stated above it is more than the camera. Its all the little stuff that adds up to big things.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Lets get the obvious out the way....the camera of course. The fact the we get the extended updates of amber, black, cyan, etc I am looking forward to what additional features cyan will bring....when is the last time you heard of those types of os extensions from Samsung.

The Nokia specific apps which even if you don't use them(lord knows I don't use all of em), it still is good to have the option.

From my understanding most of the apps that we have gotten are usually Nokia exclusive

Not to mention there is usually a promo going on with Nokia devices. Like how I got that free coupon for the app store if you brought the Lumia at a certain time.

It is stuff like that makes the windows phone experience whole when your OEM really sort of extends the feature.

I feel like if I were to buy a Samsung phone today I would get a great windows phone experience. Camera is decent likely and the os will perform well but I want something that makes great excellent.

^that's just my opinion.
Plus iit bears repeating again...the camera :p there is a reason why I am the go to guy when it comes to taking photos at social gatherings. But as I stated above it is more than the camera. Its all the little stuff that adds up to big things.

You keep talking about a camera when that is without a doubt a niche thing. Most people buy devices as long as they can share their photos to the social networks they use the most. Considering Samsung Galaxy S series and Note series are the best selling phones of all time outside of the iPhone line I don't think "Camera" is the main feature you should highlight when talking about your favorite manufacturer. Also, considering again Nokia has to do everything they can to sell Windows devices because its their bread and butter. Must like android is Samsung's bread and butter.

Tony_Offends_U

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Lets get the obvious out the way....the camera of course. The fact the we get the extended updates of amber, black, cyan, etc I am looking forward to what additional features cyan will bring....when is the last time you heard of those types of os extensions from Samsung

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/11/nokia-will-be-able-to-customize-everything-in-windows-phone-7/
Uh, yeah. I'm sure Samsung would gladly put their own OS extensions within their Windows Phones except Microsoft only lets Nokia tinker with WP like that. So that might be one reason you don't see it from any other OEM.

The Nokia specific apps

Lots of Nokia apps are available on other WPs. Plus them Samsung specific apps lol.

Last edited:

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Does the Ativ have a notification led? If so, that's a HUGE Bonus for that phone compared to the Icon.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah because they signed an agreement to care and exclusively support WP. They have no other focus, plus if they didn't they be 6 feet deep so there's that.

They don't support because they want to, it's because they HAVE to.

That is such a Flawed perspective. "They don't support because they want to,it's because they have to."
Uh duh, it's called being a business. You're basically saying it is expected of Nokia to support Windows phone as hard as they do(which is true) but at the same time since Android is Samsung's Bread & Butter, it's okay to throw out rehashes with nothing defining really about them and not market or support them because they don't have to.

K then.
Nokia will be able to customize 'everything' in Windows Phone 7, but likely won't
Uh, yeah. I'm sure Samsung would gladly put their own OS extensions within their Windows Phones except Microsoft only lets Nokia tinker with WP like that. So that might be one reason you don't see it from any other OEM.

Lots of Nokia apps are available on other WPs. Plus them Samsung specific apps lol.

Yeah...Apps that came WAY later after the exclusivity ended? I believe up until recently at Build Here Maps was just recently made available for all windows Phones. Either way, my point still stands about the apps. If/When it comes to Windows Phone as an exclusive, I am pretty sure we don't hear about it being anything but Lumia exclusive hence the whining about it being unfair to people without Lumias because they feel they should all get it.

And i always say...Why? Why should you get an app that Nokia brought for its customers because your OEM does nothing for you.

Really? So you think Microsoft intentionally just said "Hey let's screw over our other partners...you know people like HTC and Samsung who were there on day 1 with windows phone 7 before there ever was a Lumia and let's just give Nokia free reign with the OS."

Once again your logic is flawed. I seriously doubt Microsoft is showing favoritism and I am sure Microsoft would have allowed Samsung to do some of the same things Nokia has done if they wanted to. There is no reason for them to DENY Samsung(or any OEM) the ability to tinker with the OS the way Nokia has for their devices because in the end, it would do better for the OS. Let's not make BS excuses...if Samsung truly wanted to add some of their camera extensions from their android phones into their Ativ line they could have easily worked something out with Microsoft I am sure. After all, you guys keep saying Samsung is the biggest Manufacturer so why would Microsoft want to not let them add more power and muscle to their devices?

You keep talking about a camera when that is without a doubt a niche thing. Most people buy devices as long as they can share their photos to the social networks they use the most. Considering Samsung Galaxy S series and Note series are the best selling phones of all time outside of the iPhone line I don't think "Camera" is the main feature you should highlight when talking about your favorite manufacturer. Also, considering again Nokia has to do everything they can to sell Windows devices because its their bread and butter. Must like android is Samsung's bread and butter.

Amusing. Calling a Camera Niche in this day and age. I am not sure you are aware or not but this is 2014 and given the trend of overindulgent narcissism, yeah a camera is a pretty big thing. People want cameras that they don't always have to lug around that real camera. This is not 2007 where we were okay with having crappy photos from a 3-5 megapixel camera(amazing how in about 7 years we've already jumped to 41 megapixel cameraphones btw, that is crazy to me.)

Calling a Camera Niche is basically just naivety on your part. Niche is the Galaxy Zoom Samsung Made. Or the Lumia 1020.

A mainstream Phone such as the Icon/930, Xperia Lines, HTC, iphone and Samsung's own Galaxy lines needs to have a great camera on it because in this day and age that is expected.

Calling a Camera Phone niche is rather basic of you and you're trying to discredit Nokia's defining feature(The It Factor...something Samsung Windows Phone lacks) and downplay it when other companies are trying to add their own it factor to their cameras to better compete with Nokia in imaging.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I am glad i don't either lol. I just wished people wouldn't discredit people's opinions because they don't worship your preferred manufacturer :p

Yet you're doing exactly that in this thread. Pot. Kettle. Black.

You realise that this is the Samsung devices forums not Nokia devices, spout the same old BS in here and you get what you give!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99