Nokia Lumia Icon Vs. Samsung Ativ SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

experiment 626

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Yea, still waiting on WPCentral's ATIV SE review. A shame that all that was posted yesterday was the "Don't Install WP 8.1 on the ATIV SE" article which, while valid, seems to insinuate that the ATIV SE can't handle OS 8.1 while everything is acceptable on Nokias running 8.1 .

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Checked them both out again today at the Microsoft store Nokia clearly looks better

zcBzcs2.jpg

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Yea, still waiting on WPCentral's ATIV SE review. A shame that all that was posted yesterday was the "Don't Install WP 8.1 on the ATIV SE" article which, while valid, seems to insinuate that the ATIV SE can't handle OS 8.1 while everything is acceptable on Nokias running 8.1 .

Exactly! The sad thing is that similar articles from other sites all reported wpcentral as "source". Confused because I thought the problems they alerted people to were randomly happening to many different phones post 8.1 and not the Ativ SE specifically.

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't see that insinuation in the article. The point is that the ATIV SE's issues are to the point where the phone is almost unusable, whereas consumers using other devices (not just Nokia) seem to be faring better. There was no mention of Nokia anywhere in the body of the article.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't see that insinuation in the article. The point is that the ATIV SE's issues are to the point where the phone is almost unusable, whereas consumers using other devices (not just Nokia) seem to be faring better. There was no mention of Nokia anywhere in the body of the article.
hadn't thought of it that way. thanks.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I would never purchase a Samsung product. I liked them in the past but don't really like them anymore. And the Nokia cameras are simply the best. Samsung cannot compete, and if you look at the numbers... Samsung has not been competing at all. (at least when it comes to WP) Also, Ativ is a week name.

Kazashimo

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I would never purchase a Samsung product. I liked them in the past but don't really like them anymore. And the Nokia cameras are simply the best. Samsung cannot compete, and if you look at the numbers... Samsung has not been competing at all. (at least when it comes to WP) Also, Ativ is a week name.

I don't buy Samsung anymore either...i did in the past when they only made flip phones, but I just haven't liked the quality of their electronics in general.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

Camera? I will concede that.

Numbers? This is like their 4th WP in almost two years of course their numbers are abysmal.

Competing? Do you mean by price? Because most Lumias sold (according to numbers) are low end devices.

Name? Completely subjective.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't buy Samsung anymore either...i did in the past when they only made flip phones, but I just haven't liked the quality of their electronics in general.

Any particular reason? Or is this just Samsung circle jerk?

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Kazashimo

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Many reasons, their choice of material, how they market high end specs with mid range build quality (phones, laptops and TVs)... Their dedication to Android, their low end phones are so bad all around, specs and hardware, and they are usually hideous.

Keep in mind this is just my opinion, and I'm very passionate about technology and design as a whole. Some people might not agree, but I respect that.

On the other hand, I have really enjoyed what Nokia has been doing with the Lumia line. Although I've never owned many Nokia devices in the past, one of my favorite old phones of theirs was the music xpress (5500 I think it was?).

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Nothing wrong with Samsung devices except when it comes to looks. They pack some serious hardware and manage to cram it into a very light package, which I find very impressive!
Design wise, I still miss the quality/look/feel of the say, Omnia 7. That was my first WP7 device and boy did I love that thing...

samsung-omnia-7-3[1].jpg

Have to agree with the materials being used for housing. It's a weird kind of plastic with a cheap feel, but its actually pretty durable. I bet if they gave it a rubberized matte finish, it would already be a lot better instead of hyperglazing everything. Or fake leather stitches.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I`m still not getting the fascination with material choices or design. We all used to rock ugly feature phones years ago. And it is becoming increasingly obvious that no matter how good an OEM`s devices look (HTC, Nokia) it does not mean they will do well. And regardless of looks I look at what does device bring to the table for me as a tool (because smartphones are tools and a means to an end) that is worth me spending hundreds of dollars on? If we are going for pure function Samsung wins every time (if we are talking about Android with something like the S5 or Note 3). With regards to the Ativ SE vs the Lumia Icon, the Samsung wins for the fact it will without a doubt be more useful with a micro SD card slot and a removable battery.

J Ice70

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site

I was disappointed and returned the last two Smart Blu-Ray player I purchased. I went with a samsung and could not be happier.

Anyhow, although I considered the Ativ SE becuase of MicroSD slot, a MicroSD slot holds less value to me without the fantastic camera and video of the Icon. So Icon it is.

I also went so far as to a keep 6" block of wood in my pocket at work for a few hours to see if the 1520 would be a good phone for me, not something I could get use to. It's all a matter of preference and needs.

brau0303

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Some additional information: I will not speculate weather or not Ativ is a weak name, I can add that the Samsung Ativ product line extends beyond WP devices, there are tablets and 2 in Ones.The product line has been active for several years and while not really well known they seem to sell well and are well made (the Tablets and 2 in Ones are not made of plastic). just wanted to share some additional info.

Cheers
BR

Batt1eRatt1e

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Exactly! The sad thing is that similar articles from other sites all reported wpcentral as "source". Confused because I thought the problems they alerted people to were randomly happening to many different phones post 8.1 and not the Ativ SE specifically.

I don't find this too concerning. 8.1 is not in it's final build and released to the public. Once the official final version is released I'm sure the ATIV SE will get it. I don't like to update until the final build is released. I never rooted or did all that under the table stuff on Android and risk problems happening because I couldn't wait for an official final build.

BrooklynGal

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I too, am trying to decide between the ATIV SE and Icon. I am concerned about the problems regarding 8.1 upgrade and the ATIV SE . Has any one read/heard about these problems happening with the Icon? I'm still using my Samsung Omnia ll, which has lasted about 4 years. I do prefer a removable battery and SD card on the ATIV. I do prefer the built in FM radio on the Icon. Regarding the full resolution matter, Is it a huge difference between 4:3 and 16:9? I realize the Icon takes 2 photos; one in RAW and I'll have to keep track on those because the Icon has 32 gb which I read is actually formatted to be 26 gb. On the Icon, I probably won't use all of the camera settings either on the installed camera or the Nokia camera. I prefer saving the photos and music to an SD card for an easier transfer. I favour a removable battery in case a soft reset is needed; although, pressing both the power and volume down buttons is the solution for the Icon. I also favour it in case the battery drains down.

I've seen both in the store and both felt comfortable . Regarding the Icon, the touchscreen seemed to flow a bit easier and the screen appeared brighter, but that could have just been a setting. Photos on both looked good. Videos looked good, with the Icon's looking just a tad clearer. Call quality on both were good, the ATIV seemed a bit clearer both on the handset and speakerphone. Wish one phone had all the features I want just as the Omnia ll did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786