Nokia Lumia Icon Vs. Samsung Ativ SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ217

May 1, 2014
Visit site
So I have no idea if I am seeing things (really, really should have gone to sleep), but Verizon has decreased the prices on a number of cell phones by $100 on a 2 yr renewal. Both the Lumia Icon and Samsung Ativ Se are showing $99. So if anyone is interested in either I guess this is a good chance for us penny pinchers :p

Went back and checked to see if I wasn't just seeing things. Apparently, Verizon is running a Mother's Day, $100 off smartphones over $199.99 ending 5/12. So I am thankfully not going crazy.

Still doesn't help me decide between the Nokia Lumia Icon and Samsung Ativ SE...

Does any have a good estimate as to battery life for both phones? I think that is my deciding factor.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So I have no idea if I am seeing things (really, really should have gone to sleep), but Verizon has decreased the prices on a number of cell phones by $100 on a 2 yr renewal. Both the Lumia Icon and Samsung Ativ Se are showing $99. So if anyone is interested in either I guess this is a good chance for us penny pinchers :p

Went back and checked to see if I wasn't just seeing things. Apparently, Verizon is running a Mother's Day, $100 off smartphones over $199.99 ending 5/12. So I am thankfully not going crazy.

Still doesn't help me decide between the Nokia Lumia Icon and Samsung Ativ SE...

Does any have a good estimate as to battery life for both phones? I think that is my deciding factor.

My bf had both and my roommate. The roomie said that even though the se has a removable battery, it really isn't that much butter than the icon. He said both were good.

Bf said he is glad that the icon has wireless charging and the battery life was great with icon.
If iit helps, they both returned their se for lumias.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
My bf had both and my roommate. The roomie said that even though the se has a removable battery, it really isn't that much butter than the icon. He said both were good.

Bf said he is glad that the icon has wireless charging and the battery life was great with icon.

If iit helps, they both returned their se for lumias.

I think some others on the board who have had both have said the SE's battery life is better. Maybe not significantly, but noticeably. It's a bigger battery, so it "should" have a slight edge. Also, wireless Charging can be added to the SE easily without issue with charging pads sold on Amazon for about $10 - $15 that add no noticeable thickness or weight to the device.

Wish my contract was up, and Id switch for $99, no brainer. However, I'd still like an official 8.1 release for either of these phones before jumping ship.

MJ217

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Well. I decided to go with the Lumia Icon. I luckily had a store that had both the icon and ativ se. I didn't spend a whole lot of time checking them out as I got there about closing. When the phone gets here, I will use the Icon for a while and see if it works for me. I will keep the Ativ SE in mind though should I not like the Icon.

Frankly i am coming from a pretty crappy Samsung basic phone so either would be fantastic.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Well. I decided to go with the Lumia Icon. I luckily had a store that had both the icon and ativ se. I didn't spend a whole lot of time checking them out as I got there about closing. When the phone gets here, I will use the Icon for a while and see if it works for me. I will keep the Ativ SE in mind though should I not like the Icon.

Frankly i am coming from a pretty crappy Samsung basic phone so either would be fantastic.

Welcome to the Lumia side :D

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the Lumia side :D

Why does there have to be a Lumia side? Why can't we just say welcome to Windows Phone? Seems to me that we should all just be thankful for each new convert we get over to WP over Apple and Google. The more on this side, the greater the quality and greater the options we'll have in the future :)

Tony_Offends_U

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Why does there have to be a Lumia side? Why can't we just say welcome to Windows Phone? Seems to me that we should all just be thankful for each new convert we get over to WP over Apple and Google. The more on this side, the greater the quality and greater the options we'll have in the future :)

Stop with the logic.
Nokia or Nothing, no one else should even bother making Windows Phones
Everything else is cheap mess

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

It's most likely because Samsung views WP as something that's not serious. Most of their Windows Phones are just an afterthought of the android version. I also have hardly ever seen Samsung advertise their WP phones. All Samsung really wants to do is sell android phones. If they ever started taking Windows Phone seriously, then perhaps id take Samsung more seriously. Until then, Samsung can go to hell. :smile:

EDIT:
Just to add to what I said, just went to the Samsung website. the front page is all about 'the next big thing is here', and they are NOT talking about Windows Phone. It's just android crap.

MJ217

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I agree that Samsung is not serious about Windows Phones at all. I wish they would be as they can make great phones. I wish it wasn't Nokia or nothing.The more producers of Windows Phones there are plus actual advertising means greater exposure for the Windows Phone OS. The greater diversity in OS means (hopefully) that people find the phone for them.

I don't even know if I will be sticking with the Icon as I don't even have it yet. I have never jumped on a bandwagon for anything. I see things for myself and choose what is right for me.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I don't even remember seeing a commercial for WP before late 2012 with Gwen Stefani's WP8X. And I think Microsoft slapped that together.

The "beta test is over" commercials when the Lumia 900 came out was the first major commercials.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

BrooklynGal

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Will do! So far, one dislike is that when I am finished plaing my music, the app does not close. I have to pause the music as so when I "close" the app, the music does not continue to play. I went back to the Verizon store and that is what the rep told me. While I was there, I played something on the Icon, and the same situation happened. I was told that pausing the music and "closing" the app will not drain the battery. Fingers are crossed.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Will do! So far, one dislike is that when I am finished plaing my music, the app does not close. I have to pause the music as so when I "close" the app, the music does not continue to play. I went back to the Verizon store and that is what the rep told me. While I was there, I played something on the Icon, and the same situation happened. I was told that pausing the music and "closing" the app will not drain the battery. Fingers are crossed.
Still woulda gotten the icon ;)BBut download an app called stop the music so you can fully stop musi.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
It was not meant to be taken seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb