Nokia Lumia Icon Vs. Samsung Ativ SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
It's most likely because Samsung views WP as something that's not serious. Most of their Windows Phones are just an afterthought of the android version. I also have hardly ever seen Samsung advertise their WP phones. All Samsung really wants to do is sell android phones. If they ever started taking Windows Phone seriously, then perhaps id take Samsung more seriously. Until then, Samsung can go to hell. :smile:

EDIT:
Just to add to what I said, just went to the Samsung website. the front page is all about 'the next big thing is here', and they are NOT talking about Windows Phone. It's just android crap.
I mean how hard is it to throw up a mention or some type of icon to show off your latest phone. It doesn't even need to be a big gimmicky advert. It could simply be a picture of the SE with its name below it.

There's nothing.
Exactly my point. People(Samsung Fans) claim it is Nokia or Nothing.

No it is The OEM who gives a damn vs someone who just wants to toss something out but you can tell they REALLY do not care. I guess what I don't understand about Samsung Fans is not the fact that they prefer Samsung over Nokia...I get that.

Anytime you use LOGIC with them as far as support goes their response is "Well, Samsung updated their phones before Nokia did."

Well golly gee...If you only sold 400,000 phones to Nokia's 10 millions in a select area, I'd HOPE you can update your phones faster. It makes sense that Samsung updates their phones faster, they have far less to worry about.

Or Well, Nokia's life depended on Windows Phone which is why they supported it so hard. Samsung doesn't need WP so they don't need to sell it or market it or support it.
Then why bother making one then?

People in this thread are so defensive. I can take criticism of Nokia and there are certain things I am critical of. There is no reason the 920 had to be so chumky, especially 6 months later when the 925 and 1020 came out(minus the camera hump). The camera on the 1020 was handicapped by the speed. I can be critical of Nokia and I can accept criticism of it. I am not defensive as some people in this thread have proven. Say one thing bad and it's a travesty.

Samsung does not give a damn about WP. It's obvious on their site and from their efforts. It's not about them releasing Plastic crap that was last year's Android. It's the fact that they just don't even BOTHER to innovate.

That stupid Galaxy Camera thing they released. Why not try to take Nokia head on in the Windows Phone arena. A lumia 1020 vs whatever the hell the name is. Any criticism I have for Samsung has and always has been because I see a company who obviously has potential to do great things with windows phone doing absolutely nothing and people telling me I should be grateful that Samsung makes one. For what? Their Ativ line does nothing for the ecosystem.

I criticize Samsung and I more or less look down on Samsung Products not because they are cheap feeling(they are) but because I expect more from a company of samsungs caliber.

Cue Samsung Fan response: Well Microsoft gave Nokia preferential treatment. Nobody else could do anything besides Nokia?

I seriously doubt that is the case. If Samsung wanted to make a compelling windows phone, What reason would Microsoft have to block the biggest OEM from doing so?
Get real. You love Samsung, that is fine. But admit that Samsung doesn't give a damn about WP and stop acting like the products are a godsend.

They are at best on par with Lumias....especially if your only compelling argument is that has a Removable battery & IR blaster.

K then.

Why does there have to be a Lumia side? Why can't we just say welcome to Windows Phone? Seems to me that we should all just be thankful for each new convert we get over to WP over Apple and Google. The more on this side, the greater the quality and greater the options we'll have in the future :)

When I said Lumia Side, I wasn't really meaning it to be territorial. So don't take it as such. I am grateful for all converts that come over, even if they don't get my preferred manufacturer. At the end of the day, if someone is rocking a Samsung, HTC, Nokia or even a Huawei, Blue or Yezz windows phone, that is still good. I never once denied that wasn't great.

Tony_Offends_U

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
It was a joke "Welcome to the Lumia side" aka just being friendly....Samsung fans please stop being so touchy! LOL

Who a Samsung fan? Me? Nah I'm a WP fan.
And I meant so far as to always extremely go out of your way to talk down on Samsung, I know you a Nokia person I just thought the whole over the top thing you do everywhere on here was a joke.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I mean, I can be random here and say that from an original design point of view, the best premium looking WP8 designs so far are the 8X and 925. The 930/Icon is just a larger refined 925, and the Ativ SE is a slightly altered Galaxy S. So neither I these phones win on original design points.

And for all the Nokia worshippers here, Nokia has released only TWO original high end designs since getting in the WP game: Lumia 800 and the Lumia 925. So stop with this "Samsung recycles their Android designs for WP". Nokia's recycled the N9 design for the last few years. But wait, lets here the Nokia apologists justify that...

Plus the music playback audio on these are ok...that's on the OS itself. WP8's equalizer is such a joke.

Ultimately, both the Icon and SE are very good choices. No one is clearly better than the other. Gone are the days when you can say one phone clearly slays the other. With everyone using the same internals, what makes a phone better now is how well the hardware and software tie in to the user experience. While Nokia is a little better, some people want "stock WP without the hype". So you really cannot go wrong with either device.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
That is one thing that is never brought up, Nokia used the same design language for YEARS. The N9, Lumia 800/900/920/1020 all looked very similar.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Sigh....I am not saying that Nokia's design and hardware is 100 percent unique to windows phone(though they've now become signature WITH windows phones and not the N9. Most people know Lumia than the N9).

But there is a Slightdifference between what Samsung does and What Nokia does.
Samsung is taking the known Galaxy Brand and Design & throwing windows phone on it.

Which wouldn't be so bad. It wouldn't be bad at all since it is what has sold them millions of phones(Of course with the right marketing plan, you can get any moron to buy your product).

It's bad because it proves Samsung's half-done approach. They reuse the hardware simply because they don't care enough to at least differentiate or make them unique. Again, selling a windows phone just to say they are selling a Windows phone.

Again as I've said before in this thread, if a company who is dying a slow death like HTC managed to come out with the 8x and 8S lines(Arguably the best looking Windows phones, and this comes from a "Nokia Worshipper" which sounds stupid btw) and even Nokia has managed to evolve and build upon their N9 series to make their Lumias. Which the design itis not exactly what Lumia is known for...it's known for their imaging. Then there is no reason Samsung can't since they already make "unique" things.

I've given Several examples.....Samsung has it's Note series. Why not compete with the 1520 with the Note?
Why not try and attack the 1020 with their ugly Galaxy Camera or that new Galaxy?

And again my argument, since Tony appears to follow me around WPC lol, is not so much about the design but their efforts :D As i've repeated more than once that people fail to seem to undertand and amusingly enough, Samsung fans...excuse me "Windows phone fans" don't actually try to dispute but simply ignore :D
The design & hardware is secondary to me when it comes to samsung. If they were doing something beneficial for the OS and ecosystem and our future as a hold, I wouldn't say anything reallly.

I give HTC a free pass because I find HTC to be a better manufacturer overall(both Android and Windows phone) and i could see at least SOME effort from them at one point. Never with Samsung though.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I had long post I typed TWICE but the Mobile nations forum app has crashed twice on me so forget it. I wanted to say how Samsung has been with WP for years and Yada yada but whatever. *sigh*. Disregard this post.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I really wished they would make the official wpcentral app a little better when it comes to navigating...Idk about the mobilenations app

Samsung has been with Windows phone and admittedly their Focus/Omnia lines were good...and had I been into WP7(I unfortunately was stupid and using Android), I would've owned one(Though HTC made better WP then than Samsung, but I actually liked Samsung back then).

It's a shame their efforts in WP8 is not as good as their efforts back in Wp7.
I had long post I typed TWICE but the Mobile nations forum app has crashed twice on me so forget it. I wanted to say how Samsung has been with WP for years and Yada yada but whatever. *sigh*. Disregard this post.

Michael Dontigney

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I'ma jump in here.. I loved my old Nokia (I forget the model but it was YEARS ago on MetroPCS... dang.. lemme look it up.. I think it was the old 6265i) anyway, it was a great phone.. I've had a ton of phones since then, but the best phone I've ever owned has been my Samsung Note 2. Is it perfect? Nope.. is the iPhone built better? Yep... guess what? I say this to all iPhone folks.. I trade up every two years anyway so having a phone built like a tank is kinda pointless because I'll upgrade before it breaks anyway! That said, I really like the WP experience, and came here looking for alternatives, not because of the hardware which I have no problems with, but because of the software.. I like the size of my Note 2, especially for business (I own a video production company, build my own PCs with Windows 8.1 on them and don't like Apple at all) so downgrading to a device with a less than 5.5" screen is really my only option as I'm on Verizon and won't switch due to the excellent coverage I get from them here in north GA. So, I've been checking out the Icon which I had a chance to play with at the VZ store yesterday and although the screen is smaller I really liked it. Not because it was built like a tank, but because the screen was nice, and it ran WP. I'd buy a Samsung in a heartbeat, in fact if they released a Note 3 but with WP8.1 on it I'd be in line for it. If they don't.. I'll probably grab an Icon and be happy, or the Ativ SE and be happy. Both look like great devices. I'm positive the Nokia is built better.. but in two years when I trade up, it won't matter.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I hear people complain about Samsung's marketing strategy for WP. It would be nice if it was better...but...they're purposely walking a fine line.

Because the front of the phone looks similar design wise, more main stream advertising will confuse folks. Samsung won't alter the design of the Ativ much because it is a draw for people who like the hardware of Android but didn't like Android itself. Now, ideally Samsung would have two distinct lines and sell them, but WP8 while it is catching on, isn't at a level where at least in the US it is pushing the big 2.

Sadly, we needed another desperate OEM like Nokia to push Nokia in WP8. Now that MSFT has bought Nokia's hardware division, they need a hit or else people will say they messed up things again.

As for these two devices...good choices for VZW users. Neither are great, but both very good. Would love to see an official Ativ SE review though...

Bora777

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
No it's plastic made to look like brushed aluminum, just like the Ativ S that I'm typing this on. Imo it doesn't make it any lower quality.
Out of curiosity, can anyone who's tried the Ativ SE comment on whether they used the exact same finish on the back cover as the Ativ S? I actually quite liked the Ativ S' feel, I found it to be the most convincing fake metal yet (certainly miles better than what they use on their Galaxy line). I'm just worried they might have switched to something like the S4's awful glazed back.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Come on now, Tony lol.

Let's not...

You decided to Quote one response where someone told me I should stick to the Lumia section and not the SE section and then quoted another post where I made a comment in jest(which I explained above was not meant to be serious). You're better than that but let's not take 2 entirely different quotes targeted at 2 unrelated people.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Haven't used the Samsung ativ. I owned a Samsung WP back in wp7 but hated how cheap it felt. It was lite but felt like a toy and Samsung didn't bring much to the game at the time with their firmware. I've loved my Nokia 920 and Nokia has filled in many of the gaps in WP with their firmware. Definetly partial to Nokia strongly and since Microsoft has kept the Nokia phone team I have confidence they will continue to do well. Since I haven't played with their modern WP take this with a grain of salt. But have had several Nokia phones over the years and they have always made great phones.

Novron

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Haven't used the Samsung ativ. I owned a Samsung WP back in wp7 but hated how cheap it felt. It was lite but felt like a toy and Samsung didn't bring much to the game at the time with their firmware. I've loved my Nokia 920 and Nokia has filled in many of the gaps in WP with their firmware. Definetly partial to Nokia strongly and since Microsoft has kept the Nokia phone team I have confidence they will continue to do well. Since I haven't played with their modern WP take this with a grain of salt. But have had several Nokia phones over the years and they have always made great phones.

Can't really blame Samsung ion the hardware. MS wouldn't support anything modern until recently.

BrooklynGal

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Today, I added the Icon to my account so I could test both. Tomorrow, I have to bring the ICON to in for tech support. When I dial out or receive calls, the screen is unresponsive. It is dark and there is no keyboard. I did 2 soft resets and that did not resolve the issue. In another thread relating to the issue, suggestions were posted, but none resolved the issue. So far, I really really enjoy having the built-in fm radio on the Icon. Yes the camera is pretty darn good. I really don't know that much about the resolution settings (4:3, 16:9). I prefer just having automatic settings and firing away.
I like the home screen button on the ATIV SE. Finding that phone somewhat "smoother" to operate. Like the cartoon-like setting with the Manga Camera app.Call quality has been okay. No email issues.Battery life has been good. Texting has been easy, I hardly miss my Swype feature.

On the ATIV SE, the onboard storage is 16gb gb formatted down to 11.38 gb
On the ICON, the onboard storage is 32gb. I think I added 1 app and took about 10 photos and a 30 second or so video. I added about 4 cds. The overview now states 29 gb total and 6.2 gb used bringing it down to 23gb.

Will update again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb