Nokia Lumia Icon Vs. Samsung Ativ SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Nokia fanboys will crucify anything that isn't Nokia.

Reading this thread makes me agree with this statement. Most of this thread has been about which manufacturer has done enough for WP to be worthy of buying. I have read very little comparing the strong and weak points of each phone, mainly just buy Nokia because of what they have done for the platform. This Nokia against everyone else is as bad as iPhone versus android and doesn't help WP at all.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Reading this thread makes me agree with this statement. Most of this thread has been about which manufacturer has done enough for WP to be worthy of buying. I have read very little comparing the strong and weak points of each phone, mainly just buy Nokia because of what they have done for the platform. This Nokia against everyone else is as bad as iPhone versus android and doesn't help WP at all.
What nNokia has done for windows phone is a strong point just as Samsung and HTC half done efforts are a weak point.

Fact.

Be a fan of whatever OEM you desire but this victim mentality non-Lumia owners have is a bit much. I am not personally attacking anyone here(aside from the fan boy comment) and people are up in arms because they can't accept the fact that a lot comments about Samsung are true and if they do acknowledge the short Comings they downplay them. Some are opinion but the fact of the matter is the criticism Samsung has(that people can't seem to understand) is warranted.

As a Lumia owner, I'm calling for the "popular" manufacturer in Samsung to do more for this platform instead of releasing a good enough phone. When they start putting the effort into windows phone and marketing them that will do wonders for windows phone.

It is what it is.
I would consider Samsung a worthy OEM when they stop giving us windows phone owners second hand scraps.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
What nNokia has done for windows phone is a strong point just as Samsung and HTC half done efforts are a weak point.

Fact.

Be a fan of whatever OEM you desire but this victim mentality non-Lumia owners have is a bit much. I am not personally attacking anyone here(aside from the fan boy comment) and people are up in arms because they can't accept the fact that a lot comments about Samsung are true and if they do acknowledge the short Comings they downplay them. Some are opinion but the fact of the matter is the criticism Samsung has(that people can't seem to understand) is warranted.

As a Lumia owner, I'm calling for the "popular" manufacturer in Samsung to do more for this platform instead of releasing a good enough phone. When they start putting the effort into windows phone and marketing them that will do wonders for windows phone.

It is what it is.
I would consider Samsung a worthy OEM when they stop giving us windows phone owners second hand scraps.

Nokia is not the darling either. If Nokia is doing so much for WP, why is the market share just now hitting 4% worldwide? They have been with WP for 2+ years now, what gives? Where are the commercials showing off the "Nokia Exclusives"? Where are the billboards? The flyers? They are doing just as much as Samsung as far as WP goes. They get a few apps sure, but besides that there's nothing Nokia is doing that is so helpful.

If they really wanted to help as you say they do, why aren't phones like the Icon available on ALL carriers instead of being a Verizon exclusive. They are just as much to blame if not more so than Samsung for the marketshare problem. If anything Samsung has done MORE than Nokia since they were with WP from the beginning. Hell, they have been making phones running Microsoft's various OS's since Windows Mobile days.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

Fact.

It is what it is.

In this thread you haven't once listed some actual pros and cons of the Ativ compared to the Icon other than the build quality. You may not see it, but the Ativ is just as good as the Icon, depending on your preferences. I don't own a Nokia or a Samsung. For that matter I'm currently not even using a windows phone. I'm not sure what Samsung would have to add to the Ativ to be considered something besides second hand scraps. Same processor as the Lumia, a 5" 1080p screen that didn't come from the S4.... The camera is probably the same as the S4, but it's still decent.

I guess all I'm asking, and this seems to be a lot, but judge the phone by what it is, not by what you think it represents.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
And within those 4 years, somehow they manage only less than 4 percent market share with windows phone to Nokias 90 percent? I really wouldn't brag about how long Samsung has been in the game because your rebuttal is seriously flawed AND amusing.

I give HTC credit...I loved my 8x when I had it before I saw that Lumia offered a better experience and I quickly got rid of the 8x(I(f HTC continues the 8x design and improves the camera, I could see myself rocking an HTC maybe). HTC is in serious trouble and with their 2 year old phone am 8s,they managed to somehow STILL sell more than Samsung.

Even though they went MIA, and Samsung has tossed out WP.

But Samsung has been here 4 years? Cool. Good for them. At least they have that
I'll leave this here:

Microsoft announces ten Windows Phone 7 handsets for 30 countries: October 21 in Europe and Asia, 8 November in US (Update: Video!)

Samsung, LG, HTC, and Dell were the first WP phone makers and minus LG and Dell (HTC went M.I.A. for the past year and half) Samsung is the only one to continue to make them. This October makes 4 years Samsung has made Windows Phone's, that more than Nokia can say right now.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Nokia is not the darling either. If Nokia is doing so much for WP, why is the market share just now hitting 4% worldwide? They have been with WP for 2+ years now, what gives? Where are the commercials showing off the "Nokia Exclusives"? Where are the billboards? The flyers? They are doing just as much as Samsung as far as WP goes. They get a few apps sure, but besides that there's nothing Nokia is doing that is so helpful.

If they really wanted to help as you say they do, why aren't phones like the Icon available on ALL carriers instead of being a Verizon exclusive. They are just as much to blame if not more so than Samsung for the marketshare problem. If anything Samsung has done MORE than Nokia since they were with WP from the beginning. Hell, they have been making phones running Microsoft's various OS's since Windows Mobile days.

I literally laughed at this for a good 30 seconds straight and I had to grab my surface so I can respond back to this highly amusing post.

Fact...90 percent of the windows phones are LUMIA.

Hardware really hasn't been the issue, especially since the 1520, icon and SE, because the hardware is comparable to the Highest end androids and even the 1st GEN devices were comparable in performance to android and iPhone.

The marketshare is low due to how long it took Microsoft to come up with 8.1 and the bigger issue....APPS. When people review WP, they rarely criticize the hardware(It's usually lumia which most people praise)...it's always the OS and the app gap. So that ha nothing to do with Nokia. If anything, Nokia's hardware and support is what got us to the 4 percent with the 520521.

You're flawed.

2. Nokia is doing just as much as Samsung?

What commercial has Samsung done for their Ativ line?

When I had my 1020, I used to get asked all the time about it. "Is that the phone from the Commercial/?"

Those commercials put Lumia out there and were well-received.
Nokia did the weird animated cartoon which was cute.

They released that zombie commercial with the iPhone and 925.

Verizon and At&t have also released commercials for their windows phone(Lumia)

I've seen Lumia billboards.

You are seriously deluded if you think that this past 2 years(Since WP8) that most of the success windows Phone is doing, is not because of Nokia.
Again, the best selling windows phone is the 520/521

They worked to get popular apps like Hipstamatic(Flawed as it is) for us during the Instagram BS, VIne, Instagram, etc etc apps that were necessary and they brought attention to the Windows Phone OS.

3. Exclusive?

It's obvious there are delusions of grandeur.

The only phone I believe that was globably released was the 8x(surprisingly).

But the only carrier exclusives are the 1520 and the Icon,
Att got 920, Verizon got its variant the 928, and T-Mobile got the 925 which later went to Att...Not to mention their 520/521 is available on many US carriers and even the 620 I believe.

Samsung released their Ativ S but didn't bring it at all to US....

Then released the crap Odyssey for Verizon and US Cellular(that if I remember correctly few people actually brought) and then a year later brought out 2012's 1st gen WP8 device and sold it as a 2nd gen as the Ativ S neo for Sprint & att and then recently they just did the Icon.

Samsung does exclusives as well. What's your point?
WP needs the carrier push thus it gets the exclusives.

I am lucky to be on a carrier that gets the best windows phone, though Verizon appears to be doing much better.

how is Nokia to blame for the Market hare when once again....without the 520/521 aka the highest selling windows phone to date, We'd be left with Samsung and htc windows phone which didn't do much for sells and market share when they were the main ones making them.

Get real please.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
And within those 4 years, somehow they manage only less than 4 percent market share with windows phone to Nokias 90 percent? I really wouldn't brag about how long Samsung has been in the game because your rebuttal is seriously flawed AND amusing.

I give HTC credit...I loved my 8x when I had it before I saw that Lumia offered a better experience and I quickly got rid of the 8x(I(f HTC continues the 8x design and improves the camera, I could see myself rocking an HTC maybe). HTC is in serious trouble and with their 2 year old phone am 8s,they managed to somehow STILL sell more than Samsung.

Even though they went MIA, and Samsung has tossed out WP.

But Samsung has been here 4 years? Cool. Good for them. At least they have that

Manufacturers can only do so much if the person who owns the OS sits on their *** and let's their market share flatline. As far as Market Share is concerned Microsoft should be making an effort too. Samsung has to do all the marketing and make the phones? Nokia is just as bad, Samsung does not need to be pointed out.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I literally laughed at this for a good 30 seconds straight and I had to grab my surface so I can respond back to this highly amusing post.

Fact...90 percent of the windows phones are LUMIA.

Hardware really hasn't been the issue, especially since the 1520, icon and SE, because the hardware is comparable to the Highest end androids and even the 1st GEN devices were comparable in performance to android and iPhone.

The marketshare is low due to how long it took Microsoft to come up with 8.1 and the bigger issue....APPS. When people review WP, they rarely criticize the hardware(It's usually lumia which most people praise)...it's always the OS and the app gap. So that ha nothing to do with Nokia. If anything, Nokia's hardware and support is what got us to the 4 percent with the 520521.

You're flawed.

2. Nokia is doing just as much as Samsung?

What commercial has Samsung done for their Ativ line?

When I had my 1020, I used to get asked all the time about it. "Is that the phone from the Commercial/?"

Those commercials put Lumia out there and were well-received.
Nokia did the weird animated cartoon which was cute.

They released that zombie commercial with the iPhone and 925.

Verizon and At&t have also released commercials for their windows phone(Lumia)

I've seen Lumia billboards.

You are seriously deluded if you think that this past 2 years(Since WP8) that most of the success windows Phone is doing, is not because of Nokia.
Again, the best selling windows phone is the 520/521

They worked to get popular apps like Hipstamatic(Flawed as it is) for us during the Instagram BS, VIne, Instagram, etc etc apps that were necessary and they brought attention to the Windows Phone OS.

3. Exclusive?

It's obvious there are delusions of grandeur.

The only phone I believe that was globably released was the 8x(surprisingly).

But the only carrier exclusives are the 1520 and the Icon,
Att got 920, Verizon got its variant the 928, and T-Mobile got the 925 which later went to Att...Not to mention their 520/521 is available on many US carriers and even the 620 I believe.

Samsung released their Ativ S but didn't bring it at all to US....

Then released the crap Odyssey for Verizon and US Cellular(that if I remember correctly few people actually brought) and then a year later brought out 2012's 1st gen WP8 device and sold it as a 2nd gen as the Ativ S neo for Sprint & att and then recently they just did the Icon.

Samsung does exclusives as well. What's your point?
WP needs the carrier push thus it gets the exclusives.

I am lucky to be on a carrier that gets the best windows phone, though Verizon appears to be doing much better.

how is Nokia to blame for the Market hare when once again....without the 520/521 aka the highest selling windows phone to date, We'd be left with Samsung and htc windows phone which didn't do much for sells and market share when they were the main ones making them.

Get real please.

You proved my point perfectly. If Nokia has the highest market share, why aren't they acting like they really care. You think those few commercials did anything? They were beyond short lived. The last WP commercial I saw was the Icon commercial and that stopped airing months ago. Nokia is not special regardless of what you think, they are just as bad as Samsung. I don't know how you think I have delusions of grandeur I don't even use Samsung devices, I use Motorola for my phones and HP for my laptops and Apple for my desktop. Nokia needs to really step up and let's not also forget the majority of WP are low end devices and not the high end ones so hardware definitely shouldn't be compared, especially seeing as Android will have the Snapdragon 805 processors in the fall and 64 bit processors in late 2014 early 2015.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Well since Nokia is Microsoft now, Microsoft needs to step up and put their foot down and forward otherwise Nokia and Samsung are on the same level on WP IMO. They have the same OS through and through. The Ativ SE has functionality differences that may be more important and NOkia has the Nokia stuff.

I also want to point out, I see a quality control with Nokia devices. They seem like they all had some problem that multiple people were having from the touch issues on the 1520 to the WiFi issues on the Icon something ain't right.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Okay everybody.

I think the Nokia vs. Samsung debate has run its course. Anyone who hasn't yet heard/read enough is welcome to create a new thread specifically for that topic, but let's put that aside in here.

[WARN]Going forward, I'll probably delete any posts that are primarily about Nokia/Samsung/HTC, rather than the two devices this thread should have been about[/WARN]

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Here is the best summation of the Nokia Lumia Icon vs Ativ SE debate:

Get what you want depending on what you are looking for. No one here can make you get whatever phone you want. Whether its the Icon or the Ativ its a Win for you because you get a very good device and the best that is available from WP right now in the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiuniuz