Wireless charging back or batteries?

Nick Derrico

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I am very curious to see if wireless charging could be possible with optional batteries or backs (much like the S4 variant). I would love to try this out but have invested in a few wireless charging devices which I certainly don't want to go to waste!

Anybody got insight on this, I searched the web and came up empty handed. I know the Ativ S could technically be modified to use wireless charging, but I'm hoping there is some sort of first party option for the SE.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I am very curious to see if wireless charging could be possible with optional batteries or backs (much like the S4 variant). I would love to try this out but have invested in a few wireless charging devices which I certainly don't want to go to waste!

Anybody got insight on this, I searched the web and came up empty handed. I know the Ativ S could technically be modified to use wireless charging, but I'm hoping there is some sort of first party option for the SE.

In the Icon vs ATIV SE thread, techgeek32#WN mentioned that since the ATIV SE uses the same battery and battery pin layout of the S4, that he thought you should be able to buy the inserts off of Amazon and throw them in the back without issue. While I know this isnt a first party option, if it works, I'd definitely go for it as I love my night stand charger for my 822 at home.

I assume he meant these (or something like them): Amazon.com: Metrans Qi Wireless Charger Wireless Charging Receiver For Samsung Galaxy S4: Cell Phones & Accessories

Nick Derrico

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, good catch!

I just watched the hands on on WPC, and the inside of the phone looks to have the two connectors needed for this kit. I'll have to check it out in store to make sure.

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site

Yup. This adapter works like a champ for me...

Attachments

• WP_20140417_001 - Copy.jpg
    WP_20140417_001 - Copy.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 9

techgeek32#WN

Jul 11, 2008
Visit site

Yep. It works. I just purchased a newer super thin one from Amazon and it works perfectly with the ATIV. It also eliminates that bulge of the back cover because it is thin. I tested it with my LG, Nokia and TYLT wireless chargers and works perfectly. I also have the S4 battery and white external charging case and both work perfectly with the ATIV. The only issue will be with cases but Incipio already has some out that Verizon is selling. I am waiting for the Incipio Feather case because I know those are thin enough to allow the wireless charging to work properly. Here is the charging insert that purchased.

Amazon.com: Qi Wireless Charging 0.5mm Receiver Card Coil for Samsung Galaxy S4 SIV I9500 I9505 with Full NFC Support: Cell Phones & Accessories

Deev8er

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I have just joined Windows Central because many of the searches I've done for info on my first Windows Phone - a Samsung ATIV SE (Huron) have brought me here. I have found this forum to be a civil and useful source for the information I seek.

I have recently purchased a Huron and am hoping to revive this thread about adapting it to use a wireless charging setup made for a Galaxy S4.
I have purchased a >Docooler Qi Wireless Charging Receiver for Samsung Galaxy S4 (can't post links yet)< adapter card from Amazon along with a PowerBot PB1020 charging puck.

As the Huron was manufactured with the same contacts as the S4 uses for wireless charging, I am hoping that somewhere hidden in the Windows Mobile OS (8.10.14203.306) and hardware (Firmware Revision: 2218.14.12.1) there are provisions to handle wireless charging. My concern is of an unregulated charge occurring and possible overheating of the battery.

Does anyone know if this is in fact the case? Or, will the adapter card I have purchased possibly have on-board circuitry to manage the charge?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If the phone has the hardware contacts to support it, then wireless charging should work. People have hacked wireless charging by soldering things into phones that didn't otherwise have any wireless charging support.

I wouldn't worry about heat or anything else more than any other phone.

Deev8er

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
The mods that are made by soldering to the micro USB input would be read by a phone as coming from an external source and handled accordingly, I assume. I am wondering if the ATIV SE and the WP OS have pre-installed software and/or hardware management to prevent overcharging. To bad Samsung never followed through with a back cover to make the Huron wireless charge capable as they did with the Galaxy S4. I am think of purchasing a USB charging meter such as the AmorTek J7-D from Amazon. It has a built in timer in addition to monitoring charging voltage, current and other parameters.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am wondering if the ATIV SE and the WP OS have pre-installed software and/or hardware management to prevent overcharging.
I am think of purchasing a USB charging meter such as the AmorTek J7-D from Amazon. It has a built in timer in addition to monitoring charging voltage, current and other parameters.

I think you're overthinking it; power is power.

If you aren't worried about your wall charger overcharging the phone, you shouldnt be worried about this either, unless you're wiring the charging coil to the battery directly, which is a bad idea anyway.

Deev8er

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Yes, you are probably right, I am over thinking this modification. I'll carefully monitor the charge rate and battery temperature as I 'test drive' this set-up. I hope the wireless charging is as useful and convenient as I expect.

Thanks for the replies and advice on this conversion. This is my first Windows Phone and so far I really like it. I has given me a far greater degree of control over apps as far as controlling their data and battery consumption than an stock Android ever did. It even looks like this phone might, maybe just might, get WP10.
If anyone is interested in the results of this Qi charging addition to the Huron, make a comment here, I'll post the results.

mageman17

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I'd like to know how this pans out, if you don't mind.

I had high hopes for my ATIV SE, finally free from my NL625 with 512MB RAM, old Dual-Core processors and with a keen interest on seeing how competitors take on WP. But after seeing the silver paint chip off, stuff like SensorCore being exclusive to Nokia devices (I didn't mind that this didn't have Glance) and apparently being shipped a defective unit (restarts at the worst times) kinda dampened a bit of my support for this device.

Maybe this will give me some encouragement again, even if my unit looks so banged out after a bit under a year of ownership due to my patented way of handling electronics.

jonthysell

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I bought and installed the following on my SE almost two years ago and have had no problems whatsoever, and I've left the phone on wireless charger pads almost all day everyday since then. 8h+ at work, 8h+ at night.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D3K7UZW/?tag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3555844

There's nothing to mod, nothing to solder, just pop the back of the phone, peel the sticky tape, align the connectors and attach. It even charges through my rubber case. Phone has never gotten hot from charging. It's a $10 no-brainer upgrade. BTW, ignore posted specs, the phone can handle a 128GB microsd card and it supports Bluetooth 4.0LE so you can sync say your fitbit and/or use a moga Bluetooth game controller too if you take the WP 8.1 updates. (lots of old spec sheets just list what WP 8.0 could support at the time this phone was released, not what got enabled later with updates)

Just note that the phone has no support, and hasn't had any official updates since 8.1. If you want to get windows 10, you'll have to try your luck with the tutorials on this forum to hack it on there.

Other than the lack of a supported update path, the only thing I don't like about this phone is that the GPS likes to randomly stall out, so don't be surprised if you're driving with turn by turn and it suddenly decides you're still a mile behind where you actually are. Happens in every app, even the default maps app so whether it's firmware/hardware/OS related it doesn't matter, cause its never getting fixed. I've missed a lot of turns because it'll just stop updating for 5-10min, which is a lifetime in city navigation. Now I just get in the habit of reviewing the route before I leave and constantly checking ahead.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs