The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
06-04-2014 09:54 PM
118 12345
tools
    From Neowin's review:

The one tradeoff to consider, if you are sizing this phone up against the Lumia Icon, is that we know that Lumias will receive excellent lifecycle support whereas the ATIV SE is a bit up in the air when it comes to software updates. Of course, you could always sign up for the developer preview program and bypass those worries but if you only like running official software that has been tested on your specific device, then this option may not be good for you.
    That worries me slightly as I am between getting the two. I forgot how much slimmer the SE is to the Icon and I have been leaning back towards it but I think Micrososft's 36 month of support guarantee is for all WP right?
    05-09-2014 03:46 PM
    Apparently Daniel is a flat out liar...no other real explanation.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    05-09-2014 04:04 PM

Or they forgot about it. Everyone is always wrapped up with Nokia around here.
    05-09-2014 04:09 PM

Actually, there are dozens of explanations. He may have come across a fault or shortcoming that required a device exchange. He may need to get in touch with either Samsung or Verizon concerning a question he had about connectivity or support. He may have had a new engangement or a prior commitment to the Mobile Nations site and has not had time to get the entire review together. He may have had a personal obligation (maybe vacation, even??) that delayed it.

I hope they do the review as well. Not just for us, but those that are interested in this device simply because it is a Samsung or whatever reason will Bing/Google this, and if there is an official review, WPC will be at the top of that search result and this device will get a fair shake from Mr. Rubino.

Let's give the man some elbow room. If he said he will do a review, I am willing to bet he will see it done.
    05-09-2014 05:11 PM
    From Neowin's review:

That worries me slightly as I am between getting the two. I forgot how much slimmer the SE is to the Icon and I have been leaning back towards it but I think Micrososft's 36 month of support guarantee is for all WP right?
    Yes, that was a commitment to Windows Phone 8 handsets, not just Nokia. I have no doubt the support from MS will be there.

Verizon will still have to approve all updates. I am not worried about WP 8.1. This is too new to not get it officially. Verizon willing to put time in the SE to approve other firmware/OS upgrades is where there may be some concern. As a former Focus S user, I do not I got several updates back in the WP 7 days. So Sammy shouldn't be the problem.
    A895 likes this.
    05-09-2014 05:14 PM
    Actually, there are dozens of explanations. He may have come across a fault or shortcoming that required a device exchange. He may need to get in touch with either Samsung or Verizon concerning a question he had about connectivity or support. He may have had a new engangement or a prior commitment to the Mobile Nations site and has not had time to get the entire review together. He may have had a personal obligation (maybe vacation, even??) that delayed it.

I hope they do the review as well. Not just for us, but those that are interested in this device simply because it is a Samsung or whatever reason will Bing/Google this, and if there is an official review, WPC will be at the top of that search result and this device will get a fair shake from Mr. Rubino.

Let's give the man some elbow room. If he said he will do a review, I am willing to bet he will see it done.
    I understand a few days... Even a week... But not two without a word otherwise. Disappointing

A895 likes this.
    05-10-2014 06:13 AM
    A review won't change my opinion on this anymore. I already found out what I needed to know about the WATCH ON App and that is the main reason it will be a buy for me. Just need AT&T to get it, so I can use it properly and I'll be golden. This will be my Next WP :)
    mary beth hale and snowmutt like this.
    05-10-2014 01:19 PM
    A review won't change my opinion on this anymore. I already found out what I needed to know about the WATCH ON App and that is the main reason it will be a buy for me. Just need AT&T to get it, so I can use it properly and I'll be golden. This will be my Next WP :)
    Haven't heard a word about a varient coming to AT&T. Heck, I may buy it if it comes to AT&T. Would want a L930-ish phone from Microsoft/Nokia, but this would check most ofthe boxes if it came.
    05-10-2014 04:47 PM
    I understand a few days... Even a week... But not two without a word otherwise. Disappointing

I understand. No argument there.
    05-10-2014 04:48 PM
    From Neowin's review:

I wouldn't worry too much, I use an unlocked ATIV S and I received all the updates that Samsung has put out so far, so a lack of updates on this device will likely be down to Verizon and not Samsung.
    snowmutt and mary beth hale like this.
    05-10-2014 05:09 PM
    I wouldn't worry too much, I use an unlocked ATIV S and I received all the updates that Samsung has put out so far, so a lack of updates on this device will likely be down to Verizon and not Samsung.
    It would be a very bad move for Verizon not to push out the 8.1 update once it becomes available, especially on a device released so close to the OS update's launch.
    mary beth hale likes this.
    05-13-2014 12:41 PM
    Only reason is the low interest in this phone from users (no one even reminded us it had come out, and obviously we forgot too).

Having said that, that's not a real excuse and I'll look to have a full review by Friday.
    Lol
    05-13-2014 04:06 PM
    A short but positive review on PC World today. Loves the phone. The cons are mostly about the OS and poor availability.
    Last edited by mary beth hale; 05-14-2014 at 08:26 AM.
    neo158 and snowmutt like this.
    05-14-2014 08:12 AM
    A short but positive review on PC World today. Loves the phone. The cons are mostly about the OS and poor availability.
    I've noticed a couple of factual inaccuracies in his article - which were pointed out in one of the comments.The reviewer states that the browser doesn't use tabs, which it does. His complaint that S4 cases don't fit on the SE is ridiculous, really.
    05-14-2014 11:00 AM
    Kills IE but won't his complaints be addressed with 8.1?

Here it is. Samsung Galaxy ATIV SE review
    snowmutt and DocRambone like this.
    05-14-2014 11:07 AM
    getting this phone in late june. played around with it at Verizon and absolutely loved it. also helps that I have had an exemplary experience with my ativ s. would still like to see more reviews but will get the phone regardless. hopefully the 8.1 firmware will be in place by the time i'm ready, otherwise will wait until it is. still waiting on review, Daniel...hint,hint.
    05-14-2014 11:44 AM
    getting this phone in late june. played around with it at Verizon and absolutely loved it. also helps that I have had an exemplary experience with my ativ s. would still like to see more reviews but will get the phone regardless. hopefully the 8.1 firmware will be in place by the time i'm ready, otherwise will wait until it is. still waiting on review, Daniel...hint,hint.
    I hope you can cope with the fact that an S4 case won't fit on it. :P
    snowmutt likes this.
    05-14-2014 02:24 PM
    I hope you can cope with the fact that an S4 case won't fit on it. :P
    I though that was hilarious to list that as a con.
    snowmutt likes this.
    05-14-2014 03:00 PM
    That was quite the incomplete review. It was entirely about the hardware.

It was a positive incomplete review, so I guess that is something.
    05-17-2014 12:12 AM
    Kills IE but won't his complaints be addressed with 8.1?

Here it is. Samsung Galaxy ATIV SE review

Hmm. What an interesting read for that review. While I disagree with a lot of it and some of it was incorrect, i guess it is decent to see a windows phone getting decent reviews.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 aka the best using Tapatalk
    05-17-2014 10:12 PM
    Love to see a review. An 5" high-end device with SD-card is what WP lacks today.

Edit: Found an videoreview: Samsung ATIV SE Review: With WP8.1
    Last edited by DocRambone; 05-18-2014 at 12:50 PM.
    05-18-2014 03:59 AM
    Hmm...I'll have to reread his review.
    I can say that so far, the battery life has been good. Call quality is good Photos are good. But, sometimes if I hold the camera in landscape mode, I find myself pressing the volume button. To me, the screen is not as sensitive as he indicated. The phone has been in my bag, jacket pocket, and jeans pocket and none of my tiles have been deleted. The case I have is the "rugged cover" by Verizon ($34.99) which is three pieces and has a built in screen protector. The case does add bulk, but I think it offers good protection. By using this cover, the screen is recessed by about 1/8 of an inch. I've also manged to feed my old wrist strap near the volume control opening.
    For searches, I use Google. At times, it may run a tad slow, but no major complaints. Since there is no built in FM radio (as there is on the Icon), I purchased a Sony blue tooth with a built in FM radio. I can't preset my favorite stations, but it sounds good and where available, the artist and song title appear.
    I wish Microsoft would further update its Facebook Messenger app to include voice message, but, that is a separate issue.
    As of now, I do not have plans to update to Windows 8.1 until it is released to the public and the "kinks" from the develop preview are worked out.
    05-18-2014 08:48 PM
    @BrooklynGal- will be getting the SE in about a month. My Ativ S has been a pure pleasure to use so I really look forward to the SE.
    BrooklynGal likes this.
    05-18-2014 08:56 PM
    Love to see a review. An 5" high-end device with SD-card is what WP lacks today.

Edit: Found an videoreview: Samsung ATIV SE Review: With WP8.1
    thanks for posting the video. kind of funny because I partially based the decision to purchase my ativ s on a "bored at work" video of the ativ s over a year ago.
    05-18-2014 10:34 PM
    BTW, if you choose the rugged cover, when the phone is charging, you will not see the green/red charging LED. The case covers it.
    05-19-2014 08:37 AM
118 12345