vote for samsung ativ se review???

Tony_Offends_U

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
YOu sure can't but i can lol. It's why i dont understand why certain wpcentral members dont care too much and have disdain for Samsung since that is the same exact way Samsung treats the os.

I can understand LG, HTC, and others jumping ship(look at them scurrying back now though) but Samsung had the chance to be the titan of windows phone as they are with android. There's no excuse for their efforts. Just good enough is good...but it is the very reason Samsung is held the way they are with windows phone.

Notice how most people don't even want Samsung, if they don't want Lumia they are craving Sony and others.

It makes me wonder...since there were no viable alternative at the start of Samsungs rise, did they manage to get lucky simply because their competitors were just throwing android phones out.

If there is bias, its warranted....though Daniel has showcased the se in many articles.

As for the 1320,this was all i found
Nokia Lumia 1320 – Unboxing and first impressions of the budget friendly phablet | Windows Phone Central

I think the reason Samsung went to focus (lol) on Android was for two reasons. #1 is that they were with WP since day one, Nokia comes along and all of a sudden they're given special treatment. Granted money was exchanged but for MS to announce that Nokia and only Nokia was allowed to tweak the OS and give people a different experience was unfair. How can people compete with that? Back in those days HTC threw that big *** speaker on the Surround and still messes with speakers today but I'd take Glance over BoomSound any day of the week. Why not let other OEM's throw a little extra down without skinning the operating system?

#2 is because the masses flock to Android. I don't know why, they just do. So that's where the money is. I think if Nokia would've came and just made phones like everyone else was allowed to, Samsung still might be leading here and Android.

LG didn't even try, I had the Quantum and for some reason 3G was always faster than Wifi no matter what. Wifi signal always got 0.5 Mbps down on two different units. Crappy phone. And the Optimus 7, can't speak for it. They never wanted to do WP. HTC had more handsets out than Samsung I believe but never released a Gen 2 device (did they?) and money probs started happening.

And that 1320, man I want that so bad. But loading certain apps off SD is a joke. Skype for one. Will crash to no end. Others like eBay load like a charm. Never even knew it was installed to the card it was so fast. So the 8GB is off-putting but I guess you gotta know which apps to install and where. Thanks for the link.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I can understand focusing on Android. I never discredit them for that and they obviously have done well with it. My issue with the fact of the matter is, that Samsung is a company that is more than capable of doing what Nokia has done with wp(And more). It would've been easier....since wp is so small vs the initial uphill Battle Samsung had with Android.

Samsung's first android phone was critically panned...who knew years later they would become king of Android. I believe the phone was called the behold. My boyfriend at the time had it and I remember when I was crazy about Android(I was an HTC ****** back then with the Droid Eris and later the Incredible and Evo lines of phones), he used to trash Samsung. I later of course went to Samsung with their Gs2 and 3 line before jumping to WP for good.

I look at it a little different.

Samsung had a headstart along with HTC over Nokia....Neither of them were really trying their hardest and releasing lackluster hardware. So I can understand why MS when the Nokia way.

It's easier to work with a partner who has the same vision & drive as you do vs working with those who are making phones for your competitor(Android). I actually sort of see it as a slight conflict of interest...Will we EVER see equality between OEMS and their Android/Windows Phone?

I mean it would probably peeve Google if Samsung really did start throwing muscle behind their line or if HTC really does come out swinging because while Samsung/HTC make profit on the phones regardless of the OS, Android will be the one facing the threat. Aka Google.

Which makes me wonder if we truly will see equality?

I do agree with you about the speakers though...Although I have glance on my 1520, I don't actually think i'd mind it much if I lost it like the Icon/930(which is funny to me that people literally refuse to get the phones simply because of that feature but ehh).

But I do like the fact that HTC does differentiate their devices and long since have ever since the surround. HTC has music/sound, Nokia has photography...Not to be funny but what is there about Samsung that sets them apart? Having an SD Card slot and an IR blaster? LOL.....

I've owned only one LG phone in my life(The Optimus V, an android phone). It was alright for a budget phone(Akin to the 520) but I do hope that this WP they are rumored to come out with is an epic return to the OS because anything less and I will not be impressed and most people wont care and then they can go off and complain as they did the first time because they released crap.

About the 1320, I WISH that was the 1520. I love my 1520 but my goodness the 1320 has the better design of the two(I'd have gotten it and literally given up the camera quality if it had at least the 920 level camera...I use Camera360 and the FFC more for selfies than I do the actual pureview elements lmao).

I actually don't have that issue with Skype on my 1520 and it is on the SD card.

I think the reason Samsung went to focus (lol) on Android was for two reasons. #1 is that they were with WP since day one, Nokia comes along and all of a sudden they're given special treatment. Granted money was exchanged but for MS to announce that Nokia and only Nokia was allowed to tweak the OS and give people a different experience was unfair. How can people compete with that? Back in those days HTC threw that big *** speaker on the Surround and still messes with speakers today but I'd take Glance over BoomSound any day of the week. Why not let other OEM's throw a little extra down without skinning the operating system?

#2 is because the masses flock to Android. I don't know why, they just do. So that's where the money is. I think if Nokia would've came and just made phones like everyone else was allowed to, Samsung still might be leading here and Android.

LG didn't even try, I had the Quantum and for some reason 3G was always faster than Wifi no matter what. Wifi signal always got 0.5 Mbps down on two different units. Crappy phone. And the Optimus 7, can't speak for it. They never wanted to do WP. HTC had more handsets out than Samsung I believe but never released a Gen 2 device (did they?) and money probs started happening.

And that 1320, man I want that so bad. But loading certain apps off SD is a joke. Skype for one. Will crash to no end. Others like eBay load like a charm. Never even knew it was installed to the card it was so fast. So the 8GB is off-putting but I guess you gotta know which apps to install and where. Thanks for the link.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I just told you why they'd likely get more coverage. It really is simple.

Furthermore, Samsung and HTC have literally done just about the same which is basically almost nothing :D And the interesting thing is....HTC actually has MORE marketshare for WP than Samsung does yet Samsung has released more windows phones(ATIV S, S Neo, Odyssey and now the SE to HTC's 8x, 8xt and 8s...and I wanna say Samsung released in more areas but I could be wrong).

HTC design is generally praised(Even over the Galaxy Line) compared to Samsung.

The fact that HTC's phone arguably has more Unique features(Duo camera and Boom speakers) than Samsung's "At best, Good enough" ATIV SE.

I am not quite sure of the LG rumored specs but if I am not mistaken they are rumored to be quite excellent.

So that is what makes them special :)

You know it is bad when Blu and Yezz phones are getting more coverage. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but you sound more like someone who is simply bothered because your preferred OEM/phone is not getting the spotlight when really there is nothing monumental about it. Furthermore, the SE is literally a VERIZON phone so that in itself makes the demand even less...

So why do they get tons of coverage when Samsung does not? Samsung even has more apps exclusives than HTC. HTC has done less for the platform than Samsung and LG has not been around since WP7, so what makes them so special? One of the most high end Windows Phone on the market yet it gets little to no coverage on a Windows Phone centric site. If that ain't bias I don't know what is.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Tony_Offends_U

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I can understand focusing on Android. I never discredit them for that and they obviously have done well with it. My issue with the fact of the matter is, that Samsung is a company that is more than capable of doing what Nokia has done with wp(And more). It would've been easier....since wp is so small vs the initial uphill Battle Samsung had with Android.

Samsung's first android phone was critically panned...who knew years later they would become king of Android. I believe the phone was called the behold. My boyfriend at the time had it and I remember when I was crazy about Android(I was an HTC ****** back then with the Droid Eris and later the Incredible and Evo lines of phones), he used to trash Samsung. I later of course went to Samsung with their Gs2 and 3 line before jumping to WP for good.

I look at it a little different.

Samsung had a headstart along with HTC over Nokia....Neither of them were really trying their hardest and releasing lackluster hardware. So I can understand why MS when the Nokia way.

It's easier to work with a partner who has the same vision & drive as you do vs working with those who are making phones for your competitor(Android). I actually sort of see it as a slight conflict of interest...Will we EVER see equality between OEMS and their Android/Windows Phone?

I mean it would probably peeve Google if Samsung really did start throwing muscle behind their line or if HTC really does come out swinging because while Samsung/HTC make profit on the phones regardless of the OS, Android will be the one facing the threat. Aka Google.

Which makes me wonder if we truly will see equality?

I do agree with you about the speakers though...Although I have glance on my 1520, I don't actually think i'd mind it much if I lost it like the Icon/930(which is funny to me that people literally refuse to get the phones simply because of that feature but ehh).

But I do like the fact that HTC does differentiate their devices and long since have ever since the surround. HTC has music/sound, Nokia has photography...Not to be funny but what is there about Samsung that sets them apart? Having an SD Card slot and an IR blaster? LOL.....

I've owned only one LG phone in my life(The Optimus V, an android phone). It was alright for a budget phone(Akin to the 520) but I do hope that this WP they are rumored to come out with is an epic return to the OS because anything less and I will not be impressed and most people wont care and then they can go off and complain as they did the first time because they released crap.

About the 1320, I WISH that was the 1520. I love my 1520 but my goodness the 1320 has the better design of the two(I'd have gotten it and literally given up the camera quality if it had at least the 920 level camera...I use Camera360 and the FFC more for selfies than I do the actual pureview elements lmao).

I actually don't have that issue with Skype on my 1520 and it is on the SD card.

I can't speak about the Behold, but if it's anything like the Samsung Moment I'm shocked people are still buying their phones.

I wouldn't LOL at and SD card and an IR blaster, they're just as gimmicky as a camera. Both have uses. People could probably code an app for the SE that would control some toy airplane or something. I used WatchOn on my friends S4 and it was pretty damn nice. SD card for all the people who like throwing a bunch of music/vids. Certainly nothing to scoff at.

But back on to this Samsung thing, you see they started reaching critical acclaim when they were allowed to tinker with the OS, something Android's open source nature lets anyone do. Any OEM can come in and add lots of features Stock Android doesn't have. Even if it's something little like Motorola's Active Display, something to set them all apart if they choose. MS only lets Nokia do that, so yeah. We got one with the speakers, one with the camera, and one with the IR blaster and SD card support.

Skype on my 8XT and ATIV S are dreadfully slow on and off the SD card, more tolerable on the internal memory though. Honestly won't stop me from getting that 1320 though. Just wish they would've put that underrated 6.8MP cam from the 720 in it. Still looks to be a damn good phone.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
You shush your mouth! LMAO

I had literally forgotten all about that phone till you mentioned it LMAO. The nightmares are coming back...I didn't have the moment, I had the "updated" sequel, the intercept which in theory was meant to be the sequel yet the phone actually was inferior in many ways to the transform. My goodness that phone was awful. I literally had blocked it out till you mentioned the moment lmao.

*Shudders*

Really though, crap phones like the Behold, Transform and intercept..I really do have to give Samsung props, that they manage to create Great phones like the Galaxy Line because their earlier android phones were horrible(though something tells me that is also because Android was a slow mess and the hardware certainly didn't help).

See I don't consider a Camera a gimmick. In this day and age of Instagram, Path, FB, Tumblr, Flickr, etc etc aka the Selfie age and let's take pics of whatever I see....and my food, a Camera is a must have feature for most of the average joes.

Music is also important so things like beats and boom speakers are must have features for many people.

I notice most Samsung Ativ users always go on and on about the Removable battery, SD card, and IR blaster.

Except those are not signature features that really sell phones. 95 percent of the people don't care about an SD card as long as the phone itself comes with adequate memory(16 GB is good enough for majority, as proven with iPhones....), Most people don't care about removable batteries simply because they probably only TOUCHED it the first time they got the phone and even I(who is fairly up and up with phones/tech) had to look up exactly what an ir blaster was initially lol. O

(My question is...isn't that what Nokia Beamer does as well or is that something else).

As well as those are features that are largely already on many other phones so again those aren't really groundbreaking features.

Sony may be releasing something and they have the hardware locked down(if they follow their xperia line) and their cameras are Second to Nokia, so Samsung really has no unique factor to them....

I can't speak about the Behold, but if it's anything like the Samsung Moment I'm shocked people are still buying their phones.

I wouldn't LOL at and SD card and an IR blaster, they're just as gimmicky as a camera. Both have uses. People could probably code an app for the SE that would control some toy airplane or something. I used WatchOn on my friends S4 and it was pretty damn nice. SD card for all the people who like throwing a bunch of music/vids. Certainly nothing to scoff at.

But back on to this Samsung thing, you see they started reaching critical acclaim when they were allowed to tinker with the OS, something Android's open source nature lets anyone do. Any OEM can come in and add lots of features Stock Android doesn't have. Even if it's something little like Motorola's Active Display, something to set them all apart if they choose. MS only lets Nokia do that, so yeah. We got one with the speakers, one with the camera, and one with the IR blaster and SD card support.

Skype on my 8XT and ATIV S are dreadfully slow on and off the SD card, more tolerable on the internal memory though. Honestly won't stop me from getting that 1320 though. Just wish they would've put that underrated 6.8MP cam from the 720 in it. Still looks to be a damn good phone.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I just told you why they'd likely get more coverage. It really is simple.

Furthermore, Samsung and HTC have literally done just about the same which is basically almost nothing :D And the interesting thing is....HTC actually has MORE marketshare for WP than Samsung does yet Samsung has released more windows phones(ATIV S, S Neo, Odyssey and now the SE to HTC's 8x, 8xt and 8s...and I wanna say Samsung released in more areas but I could be wrong).

HTC design is generally praised(Even over the Galaxy Line) compared to Samsung.

The fact that HTC's phone arguably has more Unique features(Duo camera and Boom speakers) than Samsung's "At best, Good enough" ATIV SE.

I am not quite sure of the LG rumored specs but if I am not mistaken they are rumored to be quite excellent.

So that is what makes them special :)

You know it is bad when Blu and Yezz phones are getting more coverage. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but you sound more like someone who is simply bothered because your preferred OEM/phone is not getting the spotlight when really there is nothing monumental about it. Furthermore, the SE is literally a VERIZON phone so that in itself makes the demand even less...

Bothered? Lol. Have you ever looked at my little summary? I own 2 Motorola Android devices. I own an HP computer and I have an iMac in my room. I don't even use Samsung devices. My preferred manufacturer above anyone is Motorola. I am only pointing out the fact that no one treats Samsung fairly on this forum.

In my own opinion Microsoft/Nokia, Samsung and HTC have done very little for Windows Phone. No advertising, no knowledgeable reps on WP devices. The only thing Nokia has done well is sell low cost WP devices and that's it. Their most popular "high end" phone is the 920 from almost 2 years ago. That's shows Nokia does little on the high end. If I was a WP user I would be on Nokia's *** to do something useful besides make good looking phones. Where is the marketing, the billboards, the radio and TV ads?

WinSammie

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Looks like a promising candidate for the succession of my Ativ S, once an international version will be available. Though I don't see much reason to replace it at this moment. I think I saw connections for a QI charge coil in the video, at this moment I've ordered some cheap QI stuff to put in and below my Ativ S, but that will occupy the micro USB or require some internal soldering. Hope Daniel will find time for the promised review soon!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Sigh...I am not really in the mood to argue Nokia vs Samsung today really :)

(Me and tony are actually talking amicably now haha :p)

I've seen plenty of creative ads for Nokai devices.

Remember that wedding video for the 1020? I believe that commercial was what really got people's eyes on the phone or at least on phones that look like the 1020. I can't even tell you how much attention I got from people.

I remember adverts for 925 with the zombies.

928 had commercials

the 920 I believe also had commercials and adverts.

Not to mention the product placement Nokias has had for their various phones(HTC also had some great product placement for the 8x).

Let's not forget all the apps Nokia managed to get developed for our OS by working with developers....not to mention they were the first to create a low end phone that earned us 3rd place(When we were a distant 4th).

But nope...Nokia has done nothing. LMAO please get real xD
EEdit:
LLet's also not forget no one paid attention until Nokia and HTC and LG are only coming back now after Nokia carried wp8.

Please lets not make samsung out to be some oppressed OEM nobody gives a chance and realize the rep they have is earned.
Bothered? Lol. Have you ever looked at my little summary? I own 2 Motorola Android devices. I own an HP computer and I have an iMac in my room. I don't even use Samsung devices. My preferred manufacturer above anyone is Motorola. I am only pointing out the fact that no one treats Samsung fairly on this forum.

In my own opinion Microsoft/Nokia, Samsung and HTC have done very little for Windows Phone. No advertising, no knowledgeable reps on WP devices. The only thing Nokia has done well is sell low cost WP devices and that's it. Their most popular "high end" phone is the 920 from almost 2 years ago. That's shows Nokia does little on the high end. If I was a WP user I would be on Nokia's *** to do something useful besides make good looking phones. Where is the marketing, the billboards, the radio and TV ads?

Last edited:

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Sigh...I am not really in the mood to argue Nokia vs Samsung today really :)

(Me and tony are actually talking amicably now haha :p)

I've seen plenty of creative ads for Nokai devices.

Remember that wedding video for the 1020? I believe that commercial was what really got people's eyes on the phone or at least on phones that look like the 1020. I can't even tell you how much attention I got from people.

I remember adverts for 925 with the zombies.

928 had commercials

the 920 I believe also had commercials and adverts.

Not to mention the product placement Nokias has had for their various phones(HTC also had some great product placement for the 8x).

Let's not forget all the apps Nokia managed to get developed for our OS by working with developers....not to mention they were the first to create a low end phone that earned us 3rd place(When we were a distant 4th).

But nope...Nokia has done nothing. LMAO please get real xD
EEdit:
LLet's also not forget no one paid attention until Nokia and HTC and LG are only coming back now after Nokia carried wp8.

All those ads are old and not on air anymore. Nokia got WP to third place because BlackBerry was slipping and they sold enough 520s and 620s (most popular Windows Phones). Those app exclusives I see Nokia fans cling on to ain't causing anyone to jump on Windows Phone anytime soon.

But back on topic, regardless WPCentral should do a review of the SE. It's only fair and right. And if they don't like I said before, HTC and LG shouldn't get one either.

Tony_Offends_U

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
You shush your mouth! LMAO

I had literally forgotten all about that phone till you mentioned it LMAO. The nightmares are coming back...I didn't have the moment, I had the "updated" sequel, the intercept which in theory was meant to be the sequel yet the phone actually was inferior in many ways to the transform. My goodness that phone was awful. I literally had blocked it out till you mentioned the moment lmao.

*Shudders*

Really though, crap phones like the Behold, Transform and intercept..I really do have to give Samsung props, that they manage to create Great phones like the Galaxy Line because their earlier android phones were horrible(though something tells me that is also because Android was a slow mess and the hardware certainly didn't help).

See I don't consider a Camera a gimmick. In this day and age of Instagram, Path, FB, Tumblr, Flickr, etc etc aka the Selfie age and let's take pics of whatever I see....and my food, a Camera is a must have feature for most of the average joes.

Music is also important so things like beats and boom speakers are must have features for many people.

I notice most Samsung Ativ users always go on and on about the Removable battery, SD card, and IR blaster.

Except those are not signature features that really sell phones. 95 percent of the people don't care about an SD card as long as the phone itself comes with adequate memory(16 GB is good enough for majority, as proven with iPhones....), Most people don't care about removable batteries simply because they probably only TOUCHED it the first time they got the phone and even I(who is fairly up and up with phones/tech) had to look up exactly what an ir blaster was initially lol. O

(My question is...isn't that what Nokia Beamer does as well or is that something else).

As well as those are features that are largely already on many other phones so again those aren't really groundbreaking features.

Sony may be releasing something and they have the hardware locked down(if they follow their xperia line) and their cameras are Second to Nokia, so Samsung really has no unique factor to them....

OH MY GOD, the Intercept. I'll show you EXACTLY what I did to my Intercept.

gronkspike.jpg

As far as early Android, buggy mess. I think if they put 1.5 on the phones now it might run smooth, seems like they need 3GB RAM and quad core processors to run properly, unless you're the Moto X.

Great speakers and excellent camera are also on a vast majority of phones nowadays. If I were to get a phone with a camera in mind I'd get the Xperia Z2, HTC Desire 816 also comes to mind with the 5MP front shooter for the selfie gods.

Samsung seems to be putting tech in WP that none of the other OEM's will. I can't see any other manufacturer putting in stuff to control your cable/satellite/TV box. A lot of people don't care about PureView, or else they wouldn't go Android or buy 520 so to some, it's a gimmick. (Edit: Gimmick as far as solely focusing on that aspect to sell phones, as the general population won't care) As long as the picture looks like what you pointed it at, they're good to go.

16GB on Windows Phone will have you crying without an SD card, without downloading half the stuff I had on my 920, the ATIV's remaining storage was like 4GB? Didn't even get to the games section. I can't remember how much was available at the start. If you look at the people rocking the WP8X they always complain about the capacity more than anything. I don't count iOS folk because they'd line up for iPhone 6 if it came with only 8GB and Apple told them that was all they needed.

Last edited:

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
As far as early Android, buggy mess. I think if they put 1.5 on the phones now it might run smooth, seems like they need 3GB RAM and quad core processors to run properly, unless you're the Moto X.

Actually KitKat made Android run properly on all specs. Multiple Moto E reviews will tell you it runs just fine outside of heavy 3D gaming. The Moto X does so well because it has a large GPU and it has a high level of optimization. I have one (broken now) and it was the best phone I used.

Tony_Offends_U

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Actually KitKat made Android run properly on all specs. Multiple Moto E reviews will tell you it runs just fine outside of heavy 3D gaming. The Moto X does so well because it has a large GPU and it has a high level of optimization. I have one (broken now) and it was the best phone I used.

Yeah I heard KitKat had some under the hood changes that made it run smooth as butter on older and low end devices. I also remember the outrage that the Galaxy Nexus users had when they stopped support the phone right when 4.4 dropped.

My statement was aimed more toward the early Samsung devices running 1.5 and 2.0/2.1

I haven't heard anything about the Moto E, lower spec'd than the Moto G?

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I heard KitKat had some under the hood changes that made it run smooth as butter on older and low end devices. I also remember the outrage that the Galaxy Nexus users had when they stopped support the phone right when 4.4 dropped.

My statement was aimed more toward the early Samsung devices running 1.5 and 2.0/2.1

I haven't heard anything about the Moto E, lower spec'd than the Moto G?

Moto E has a dual core processor , 1GB of RAM and 4.3 inch qHD screen for $129.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I do not think anyone would lose sleep over it if there hadn't been a promise of the review being done. As it is, those of us who like this device (I love it) and generally like Samsung being a WP OEM are bummed.

I still give WP Central the benefit of the doubt and will just accept there are good reasons the review never made it. But the lack of reviews on this device is even a better reason to do one- WP Central will get the traffic for who ever does search for one.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
......and no, please not another Samsung VS. Nokia debate. It just hurts too much.

Let's put that on hold at least until all the companies have out WP 8.1 devices, okay? When that happens, I PROMISE I will start a Sammy VS. Nokia Vs. HTC VS. the field thread and then ring the bell to start the match for everyone if ya'll promise to wait that long.

:evil:

Tony_Offends_U

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
......and no, please not another Samsung VS. Nokia debate. It just hurts too much.

Let's put that on hold at least until all the companies have out WP 8.1 devices, okay? When that happens, I PROMISE I will start a Sammy VS. Nokia Vs. HTC VS. the field thread and then ring the bell to start the match for everyone if ya'll promise to wait that long.

:evil:

I think we're past that.

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I still give WP Central the benefit of the doubt and will just accept there are good reasons the review never made it. But the lack of reviews on this device is even a better reason to do one- WP Central will get the traffic for who ever does search for one.
Until they say otherwise, we should still expect a review.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786