Initial Impressions

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
**UPDATE:**

So, after a week, I "think" the ATIV will be my device. I like the slimmer profile, and the camera is good enough for me. The wireless charging (with adapter) and SD card makes it an easier choice.

I'll tell you this, I don't see this phone drawing away any Android users. For the same money, you get an S5 with all the latest bells and whistles, and full app support. There will have to be a watershed moment where WP gets that app support, or something to generate buzz, to attract more people. As it stands, folks like me that just want out of the Google ecosystem are the only ones who are going to convert. This phone is a great "gateway" for someone coming over, but WP isn't there yet to ENTICE people to move over. The Icon was ALMOST there, but the lack of SD and Glance, and the two picture thing, made it less appealing to a generalized end user like me. Nokia has it's fan base, but so far that yields them less than 4% of the market.

Oh, FWIW, the single press of the Windows key lights up the screen, no fumbling for the power button. +Samsung.

<<<>>>
Hey all,

For anyone who was interested, I got the ATIV (man, does that need an easier name. Is it A-TIV? AT-IV?). Anyway, I came to WP from an S4, and this was like going home. Not being a Nokia devotee, I don't have the predisposition towards thinking all things Sammy are junk. "Build quality" and all that. My initial impressions (I can go more in depth if anyone out there cares):

-This is a big one. I had a WiQiQi charging pad for an S4. It goes inside the battery cover, attaching to two terminals and covering most of the battery, but it works with the factory back cover. Guess what? Works like a champ with the ATIV SE. So, for me at least, wireless charging is handled with no added expense (I think the cost when I bought it was $50 with the adapter and the pad). Cool... the cases for the S4 don't work, but this nifty wireless charging thing did...

-If you like Samsung, this will "feel" right at home. The buttons are all in the familiar places. The LED, so far, is only for charging, but pressing the Windows button lights up the screen. Better (than the Icon). It is thinner than the Icon, but some may say that's the "inferior" build quality of Samsung. To me, it's sleeker and lighter. Much lighter.

-There is no camera button. This seems to be a VERY big deal to some people. Personally, I don't get it, but live and let live. I will post some side by side pics if anyone is interested. MS came out with some pretty good photo apps (at least at first glance). It's not Nokia quality by any stretch, but I didn't connect my Icon to the PC anyway, so honestly, I'm not sure what I'm missing.

-My 32g SD card worked like a charm, and 8.1 gave me the option to send apps, music, photos, etc. to the card. FWIW, I got my Icon on release day, and it was half full as of yesterday. Not a huge deal, but for whatever that means to you.

I HAD to put 8.1 on it right away, as WP8 was no so good to me...8.1 is an easier transition.

My first impression is that this is a good gateway device to transition someone from Android to WP. It is a familiar look and feel, with the same basic "features" Android Sammy folks are used to.

I will say that the app thing continues to be a pain. I told my friends that being on WP is a conscious choice, most apps either aren't official or are infrequently updated or buggy as Hell (see: At Bat 2014). Committing to WP is a labor of love (or a real desire to get out of the Google ecosystem). If anyone wants anything more I shall try and oblige...I like it so far...

Last edited:

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for your opinions. It does seem a little silly to me that owning the brand of device you want has to feel like an act of defiance, but then again we're Windows Phones users and used to that, aren't we? :)

Although a convert to Nokia, I used to own an Omnia W and had no issues with Samsung build quality. I could see myself buying an Ativ SE if Nokia don't make a variant of the 930 with SD card support.

It's good to see an alternative to Nokia. I only hope Samsung make a range of devices for those of us who want nothing to do with Google.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your opinions. It does seem a little silly to me that owning the brand of device you want has to feel like an act of defiance, but then again we're Windows Phones users and used to that, aren't we? :)

Although a convert to Nokia, I used to own an Omnia W and had no issues with Samsung build quality. I could see myself buying an Ativ SE if Nokia don't make a variant of the 930 with SD card support.

It's good to see an alternative to Nokia. I only hope Samsung make a range of devices for those of us who want nothing to do with Google.

That's my gripe with the Icon, no micro SD support. WP8.1 allows a lot of cool stuff with external storage and the Icon does not have it. That's why I'm more than likely going to get the Ativ SE.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
What do you think about the apps? What apps do you use?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Well, WatchOn DOES work on my Samsung TV (like the S4 did), and I am still playing with the MS photo apps. I'll pop off a couple side by side pics and see what's doing...So far so good...obviously no Nokia apps, although 8.1 did drop Drive+ on the phone...

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site

They really added support for the SD cards (which makes the Icon's lack of one so disappointing). Here's a screenshot of the "Storage Sense" app, you can drop music, video, podcast, photos, apps and downloads to the SD card.

Funny note, I tried to take a screenshot, and look at what it did...I thought that was clever and appreciated...

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140417_0001.png
    wp_ss_20140417_0001.png
    182.3 KB · Views: 9
  • wp_ss_20140417_0002.png
    wp_ss_20140417_0002.png
    195.7 KB · Views: 9

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
@OP - Ret, one of the things I noticed in store was the much smoother glass on the Icon which made swiping and using the screen a better experience. Since you had an S4, do you know off hand if the S4 (or possibly S5) screen protectors will work for the ATIV SE, or are all 3 different size and shapes? I ask because I want to get one of those tempered glass screen protectors. I tried one that was installed on a reps Iphone in the store and it replicated the Icons smooth surface. Plus they seem to get great reviews with most people.

Any and all info is truly appreciated!

Mmazeo

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Well, WatchOn DOES work on my Samsung TV (like the S4 did), and I am still playing with the MS photo apps. I'll pop off a couple side by side pics and see what's doing...So far so good...obviously no Nokia apps, although 8.1 did drop Drive+ on the phone...

Do you know if WatchOn works with Direct tv?

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

So you can use HERE Maps and Drive with the Ativ SE?

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
@OP - Ret, one of the things I noticed in store was the much smoother glass on the Icon which made swiping and using the screen a better experience. Since you had an S4, do you know off hand if the S4 (or possibly S5) screen protectors will work for the ATIV SE, or are all 3 different size and shapes? I ask because I want to get one of those tempered glass screen protectors. I tried one that was installed on a reps Iphone in the store and it replicated the Icons smooth surface. Plus they seem to get great reviews with most people.

Any and all info is truly appreciated!

Hmmmm, this is just a guess, but I would say no. I have a really nice Spigen case that ALMOST fits, but don't. And come to think of it, I believe there are sensors and stuff that don't line up.

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
So you can use HERE Maps and Drive with the Ativ SE?

I believe so, Drive+ was NOT on the phone on WP8 out of the box. I downloaded Drive, did the update to 8.1, and now it's Drive+. I will test it today, but it looks and acts like Drive+ on the Icon.

UPDATE

Worked like a charm (or at least like the Icon version).

Last edited:

el_mono70

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Just got an Ativ SE too. I got the Icon, mostly because I love the Amoled screen in my S4, but wanted to go back to WP. Getting the Verizon phone to work on AT&T wasn't that difficult(thanks to directions I found here). I love the Icon but the Ativ looked good to me too, and I took the plunge. They're both great phones with the same beautiful screen. But something totally unexpected happened on my Ativ, LTE seems to work. I have the AT&T sim inserted and that network selected. I don't think the phone supports their bands though. I'm puzzled and potentially pleased. Love the phone.
El Mono

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
For anyone else who got one (or who may know):
-it seems the LED is just for charging, but this seems to be a WP limitation, since it worked on Android. There is no setting in the notification menu to activate it.
-the capacitive buttons on the bottom (search and back), I can't seem to find a setting to control how long they stay on. In Android, there were settings to set the time or have them always on. Anyone?
-a general 8.1 question, is there no silent/vibrate toggle? like, you're walking into a meeting and you want to "quick quiet" your phone, both media and ringer. No? Did MS miss that one?

Thanks

g808

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
-a general 8.1 question, is there no silent/vibrate toggle? like, you're walking into a meeting and you want to "quick quiet" your phone, both media and ringer. No? Did MS miss that one?

Thanks

You can set quiet hours in your action menu and hit that when you need to silence it. I was also hoping they would add the ability to toggle between silent and vibrate with the volume buttons.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia Icon using Tapatalk

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
They made more difficult to do it( added more steps) hit the volume button(up or down) then tap the arrow on the right, then tap vibrate on or vibrate off on the left

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99