Camera/Picture Question (vs Icon)

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I got beat up for this one over in the Icon forum, please be gentle.

So, with the Icon, I never understood the 2 picture thing. You know, one small, one big, only the small one uploads, the big one you have to plug in to a computer...which I never did...

At first glance, the Icon does have a nicer camera. The low light stuff was REALLY good. But, since I never plugged and imported photos, I was only dealing with the "small" files. I noticed that my Icon picture file sizes are about 1.2-1.5 megs, and the ATIV ones are closer to 5. IF I didn't import the larger Icon pics, am I losing something (other than lens quality)? Wouldn't I need to routinley plug and import to take full advantage? Again, I am still trying to get this part down...

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Yea I've wondered the exact same thing. Really, I think the whole 20mp thing with the Icon is almost a gimick. I don't know many people who are going to routinely offload pics on to their computer, then from there to Facebook, twitter etc.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Yea I've wondered the exact same thing. Really, I think the whole 20mp thing with the Icon is almost a gimick. I don't know many people who are going to routinely offload pics on to their computer, then from there to Facebook, twitter etc.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

It's not a gimmick by any means. HTC one's camera is a gimmick.
Most people who tend to go for the 1020/1520/Icon and are using the camera to their full capabilities, likely will offload their pics to their computer(especially with the Raw capabilities of the Lumia).

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Most people who tend to go for the 1020/1520/Icon and are using the camera to their full capabilities, likely will offload their pics to their computer(especially with the Raw capabilities of the Lumia).

Fair enough. I guess by implication, since I never offloaded photos, it's not that big of a deal. The Icon has a nice camera, for sure.

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

I guess when I said gimmick, I meant that most people buying the phone probably have no idea they're uploading a much smaller picture than the highly advertised 20mp to their social media accounts. I know a crapload of people who take a ton of pica with their phones, and not one of them does any type of post processing using their computer. I guess they use a real camera for those times, as do I.

Sent from my SM-W750V using Tapatalk

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There has been a lot of mis-understanding of the 5MP image captured With the 808, 1020, 1520 & Icon/930. In short the 5 MP image is a much higher quality photo than a normal 5MP image because it combines & averages the pixels from the 20MP image to create the 5MP image. This is taken from the 1520 whitepaper:

"Like the Nokia Lumia 1020, the Lumia 1520 also uses Nokia proprietary oversampling technology, combining the pixels in the image to generate incredibly beautiful and sharp pictures.The Lumia 1520 uses similar oversampling technology as we have in the Lumia 1020, although the oversampling ratio is higher in the Lumia 1020 (which is 1:7, since the Icon/930 is 1/2 the MP I assume it's ratio is 1:3),” says Juha Alakarhu, the head of imaging technologies at Nokia, with a smile in his face.

“However, we have actually significantly improved the capture algorithms since the first software version on Lumia 1020, so for example, the noise levels are further reduced in the new algorithms. Just take a look at the 5-megapixel oversampled photos: they are sharp, natural, and low noise. The oversampling technology really makes this 20-megapixel sensor ‘alive’”
“As we said a couple of years ago, it’s not the amount of megapixels but how you use them.”

Read this very thourgh review of the 1520's camera (same camera in the Icon/930) by real photgraphy pros here:

Introduction: Nokia Lumia 1520 camera review: Connect

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster