05-02-2015 07:03 PM
113 12345
tools
    I went ahead and pulled the trigger on 8.1 . After 36 hours, not one issue or lockup. I have been off charger now for 6 hours with both LTE radio and Wifi on in concrete and steel building and I am at 90% battery. My Sammy Note 2 would be around 70% by now.

This phone is ROCKING!
    10-13-2014 01:06 PM
    Who is next, share your experience. Also, for those of you that experienced issues early on, did the upgrade solve them? Wonder when Samsung/Verizon will release the official update.
    10-13-2014 08:11 PM
    Update #1: Still at work and after 13 hours off the charger, I am at 81% battery with no issues. FB and e-mail updating regularly in the background, plus some texts and a couple quick calls. Rock on.
    10-13-2014 08:16 PM
    While it doesn't crash anymore, she does get random lockups. Usually when trying to wake the device it just doesn't respond. Good thing is it boots really fast when doing a soft reset.

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk
    10-14-2014 08:14 AM
    I'm still getting at least one lock up or reboot every day or two. Battery is okay, but not as good as it has been with previous versions of the DP. Just had it crash about 20 minutes ago when I tried to take a quick picture. Just launching the camera app caused it to crash.

Another issue I've had is that the WiFi doesn't always connect automatically. I'm frequently finding I've been using my data when I thought I was connected to WiFi. Have to go in and disable WiFi and re-enable and it will finally connect back up.
    10-14-2014 12:08 PM
    Maybe this has been asked and answered.

Before you upgraded, did you start with a clean, reset to stock phone, or did you do it with some apps installed.

Reason I ask is because I reset my phone back to just the stock loading of apps from the factory before I did the upgrade.

I know this doesn't help you now, but might be of use to someone down the road.
    10-14-2014 01:03 PM
    I did the upgrade both ways, first time just upgraded the phone as is with all my junk on it. Then 2 days later reset the phone to factory default and did the upgrade. In a previous post I said for some reason Cortana started working better. So if you can do the total reset, then I would do it before you upgrade.
    10-14-2014 05:53 PM
    I actually have the WiFi issue, but only at work and it is a hidden network. Others also have problems with the WiFi at work so I did not think it was my phone. At home or other places I do not have a problem, but I will watch for it now.
    10-14-2014 05:55 PM
    Well, now that it's been installed for a while, I can say the only issue I've had is with the touch screen becoming unresponsive. This seems to happen when the screen is off during a call and then taken away from my face, it should come back on to use it. It does, but doesn't respond. It's mostly been an issue when using voicemail, but for me personally, I just don't put the phone to my head before entering my password. When I'm done with my call, I do a reset using the power /volume down combination, and in under a minute, I'm back up and running. All in all, it was worth it, in my opinion. I think I'm seeing this issue happen less than 1 time per day, most days. And, it seems to be a problem more so when the battery is low, so i'm wondering if there is some type of battery saver action that might be contributing. I've not seen the issue at all with the battery above 60%.
    10-18-2014 06:38 PM
    I bought this phone a month ago when it first became free on Verizon.
    I went a week with Windows 8 before I put on the preview. Prior to going upgrading, I installed basic apps (Facebook, Twitter, ESPN), nothing major.
    The upgrade was similar to everyone else's. A short update, reboot, followed by 2 longer updates with reboots.
    In the 3 weeks I've had 8.1 the only issue I have is the reboot issue, however doesn't happen to often and has never rebooted more than once in 1 day.
    Cortana is a bit wonky but overall I am very happy with the phone and the OS.
    10-23-2014 08:34 PM
    'Critical update' available for those in the Windows Phone Preview for Developers program. I just installed it, I will keep everyone updated. Also, I was in Vegas all week and used the phone a lot and only had to restart the phone 2 times, both times were after using the phone, it became unresponsive. Please make sure you turn the feedback feature to Microsoft, maybe it will help them fix some of the issues.
    10-25-2014 04:20 PM
    Well, I can tell you the critical update did not fix the phone becoming unresponsive during or after a phone call. It does not always happen I had 3 calls in 20 minutes and it only happened once, it was the longest call. Anyone figure out how to fix the issue. I know my Samsung S4 had a feature where it would turn off the display when you put the phone up to your ear, but I could also turn it off. Not sure the Windows version has that option. Other than that the Samsung ATIV SE is working wonderfully.
    10-27-2014 06:21 PM
    Well, I can tell you the critical update did not fix the phone becoming unresponsive during or after a phone call. It does not always happen I had 3 calls in 20 minutes and it only happened once, it was the longest call. Anyone figure out how to fix the issue. I know my Samsung S4 had a feature where it would turn off the display when you put the phone up to your ear, but I could also turn it off. Not sure the Windows version has that option. Other than that the Samsung ATIV SE is working wonderfully.
    Does the "phone call screen unresponsive" issue happen when making/taking calls via Bluetooth or does it seem to be related to the proximity sensor?
    11-04-2014 03:43 PM
    I never made a call via Bluetooth with phone, but I will try it. So maybe it is the proximity sensor, are you confirming this version has one?
    11-05-2014 07:37 AM
    I was just asking as I was waiting for my Ativ to arrive. Now that I've had it for a day, it seems the non-responsive screen isn't related to calling at all (at least in my case) as I haven't made a call since upgrading to 8.1. As soon as I updated to 8.1 it started happening with regularity. I did a factory reset and restored data from a previous WP install and it began happening again. I did another factory reset without restoring and things seem to have settled down.
    11-07-2014 08:21 AM
    This is the transcript of a chat I had with Samsung moments ago. Decide for yourselves if this device is worth keeping.samsung-chat.jpg
    11-10-2014 11:05 AM
    11-10-2014 02:45 PM
    At this point my phone is working perfect EXCEPT the non-responsive screen I sometimes get when receiving calls. I have extended timeout on the screen and that seems to help a little, but it still happens and it is not consistent. Anyone else experience this and maybe figured out a way to minimize it.
    11-12-2014 08:46 PM
    This is the transcript of a chat I had with Samsung moments ago. Decide for yourselves if this device is worth keeping.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Samsung Chat.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	659.7 KB 
ID:	87091
    This is called "being juvenile". The agent can't answer the question, even they do know.
    Darthbobcat likes this.
    11-13-2014 04:46 PM
    This is called "being juvenile". The agent can't answer the question, even they do know.

Actually it's called "getting it straight from the horse's mouth" instead of mindless internet chatter and baseless rumors. It's what grownups do.
    11-13-2014 10:44 PM
    Getting the information from the source is a good thing. But I think he was referring to your unnecessary rudeness with the support rep. Treating other people like you would like to be treated yourself is also something grown ups do.
    Darthbobcat likes this.
    11-14-2014 07:12 AM
    Getting the information from the source is a good thing. But I think he was referring to your unnecessary rudeness with the support rep. Treating other people like you would like to be treated yourself is also something grown ups do.
    When a customer asks a direct question, he/she expects a reasonable answer. We've come to expect dancing around from politicians, but paying customers are entitled to more. I would rather they say "I don't know" as opposed to having my intelligence insulted. I have more respect for someone who's ignorant, but honest, than someone who tries to skate around a question with boiler plate responses.
    11-14-2014 07:51 AM
    I used to have issues similar to these on my HTC 8x running wp8.0, but an HTC firmware update resolved them. I'm thinking this issue is Samsung's to fix. I wish I would have found this thread BEFORE buying an ATIV SE on ebay. Now I have to decide whether it's worth installing 8.1.
    11-15-2014 05:50 PM
    After I installed 8.1 last week, the phone has been freezing about 3 times a day (e.g. usually, the screen stopped response after a Bluetooth session).
    11-15-2014 09:17 PM
    I went ahead and upgraded. In 3 days, I have not had any issues with the touch screen. I had it restart once when using a specific Samsung camera app, which I've uninstalled. Dozens of other photos without any issue. Loving the phone so far, and 8.1 was worth the risk to be able to use with my MS Band. Also I'd have a hard time living without the new calendar layout.
    11-19-2014 06:56 AM
113 12345