Bluetooth 3.0?

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Verizon lists the Ativ as having bluetooth 3.0. Is this true? I would have thought it would have 4.0 with the rest of the hardware being so up to date.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I was going to ask the same thing. I'm getting the SE in August and wondered if 3.0 Bluetooth is a disadvantage. I really don't know anything about Bluetooth.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
If it does have 3.0, how does this translate into real life use re: What does 4.0 do that 3.0 doesn't?

It means nothing if the device you're connecting to doesn't support 4.0. Besides, all BT is backward compatible and BTW, 4.0 is basically low energy and faster transfer speeds.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
It means nothing if the device you're connecting to doesn't support 4.0. Besides, all BT is backward compatible and BTW, 4.0 is basically low energy and faster transfer speeds.

Thanks so much for the answer. Felt stupid asking, but figure it's the only way to educate myself.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
For what I currently do, 3.0 is fine, but I would rather have 4.0 so I know that I would be able to do any ibeacon type stuff that might come to windows phone.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much for the answer. Felt stupid asking, but figure it's the only way to educate myself.

I've seen some of your posts regarding the Ativ S, I'm waiting on one to arrive so I'd like to pick your brains regarding 8.1 and any issues I need to look out for.

Thanks, Fernando.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I've seen some of your posts regarding the Ativ S, I'm waiting on one to arrive so I'd like to pick your brains regarding 8.1 and any issues I need to look out for.

Thanks, Fernando.

The ativ s forum is so helpful. These people have level heads and lots of info to share. Many of us using the ativ s have updated to 8.1 so pick away!

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
^ I know this is kinda old, but you are right. BT 4.0 over 3.0 provides Low Energy (LE) which allows data to be aggregated from various sensors such as heart rate monitors, thermometers... etc. Basically if you want use this phone with any of the "wearables" that all these companies are trying to peddle it wont work.

jonthysell

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking to replace my 8X with the Ativ SE - technically the 8X was only spec'd at Bluetooth 3.1 and yet with the 8.1.1 DP I can sync with my Fitbit One just fine. So it's posssible that the spec only says Bluetooth 3.0 because that's the max WP 8.0 supports. Maybe someone who's risked the DP and has a Fitbit can chime in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb