Thinking about leaving Nokia Lumia devices for Samsung Ativ SE

deenizzy74

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking about leaving Nokia devices on Verizon for a Samsung SE because of the storage I'm almost willing to sacrifice the camera for memory expansion that's wasn't offers on the Lumia 928 or the icon aka 930. Seeing that the 8.1 update is around the corner I would like to be able to put my games, music and video on a sd card As we know some games(all the really good games) are 1-2 gigs and and tend to suck up space. But I'm afraid Samsung will not update it's device as frequently or offer the software updates and exclusive apps that Microsoft / Nokia offer what do you guys think?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
To address a couple of your concerns:
-You will get support from Samsung. They have been decent about improving their app selection for WP and getting improvements out to their devices. Their hub is about 25 apps strong, the vast majority of which are photo software. Nowhere near Nokia strong which has about double that, but actually more selections then HTC offers in theirs.

-No, you will not get the kind of support Nokia gives their WP offerings. But very few manufacturers support their devices like Nokia has in the past regardless of OS's. Nokia (now under Microsoft Mobile) also has been responsable for getting tons of games and tools on WP that are now available on all OEM devices. You just don't get that kind of dedication too often.

-In my opinion, I think the SE is the most under rated device on any carrier. It just sings and is a gorgeous phone. If expandable memory is a deal breaker for you, you may give up some exclusives and some support. But if you can live with that, you will not be disappointed with the performance of the SE.

deenizzy74

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I think microsoft/nokia should have SD expansion on every device seeing that we have all of these data restrictions now. I believe the solution for the media hungry like me 😁 is to give SD expansion to carry your music and games so there is never a worry for running out of space plus this is a critical feature that does not benefit my Lumia 928 but if your a 822 or 820 user your good I just thinks SD expansion should be mandatory. WP8.1 has me looking at the ative SE because of that one simple now underplayed word and feature #expansion. The Ative really does seem to be a awsome device I just don't know if I can give up on the Nokia quality software and hardware even though the Ative has a slighty faster processor which would probably help slightly with app load time and gaming decisions

Firdaus Edymainoe

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I think microsoft/nokia should have SD expansion on every device seeing that we have all of these data restrictions now. I believe the solution for the media hungry like me 😁 is to give SD expansion to carry your music and games so there is never a worry for running out of space plus this is a critical feature that does not benefit my Lumia 928 but if your a 822 or 820 user your good I just thinks SD expansion should be mandatory. WP8.1 has me looking at the ative SE because of that one simple now underplayed word and feature #expansion. The Ative really does seem to be a awsome device I just don't know if I can give up on the Nokia quality software and hardware even though the Ative has a slighty faster processor which would probably help slightly with app load time and gaming decisions
slightly faster processor? It's the same Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor found in the Icon.

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Unpopular opinion below.

I've owned an L920, 925, 520, a Samsung Focus, and currently am on an ATIV S Neo, and I have to say that the Neo has offered the best WP experience over my entire career. All my Lumia's suffered heating issues (especially the 920 and 25, I got several replacements for the former) as well as a few other issues in build quality. The Neo never really got beyond uncomfortably hot, Samsung is pushing out app updates at a reasonable pace, the camera is actually quite nice for my standards, the screen is beautiful, and the expandable storage and removable battery just takes the cake.

The real nice aspect was that doing resource heavy tasks never heated up the phone enormously, whereas some basic tasks on the Lumias heated them up a lot, though I suspect the 925 with its metal perimeter helped facilitate the heat; whereas Samsusng's build material is not completely conducive for heat. However, the plastic/polycarbonate casings for the 920 and 520 still got REALLY hot. I personally don't think Nokia has mastered heat dispersion adequately, but that's just a personal opinion. Other than a few more gripes I've had with Nokia's phones which I can't remember right now because I'm feeling a bit ill, I think Samsung sometimes makes a better windows phone and they're not even trying.

Sorry for the run-on sentences, as I'm not feeling well.

deenizzy74

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
hmm too little. You'll lose the apps that Nokia provided. HERE suite, Nokia Camera and more. Nevertheless, the ATIV SE is a gorgeous device and you do get the IR blaster.

I thought 32gig would be enough but I was wrong. If my 928 or the icon/930 had expansion shhhhwww they would be the perfect phones especially the icon/930 setting @5" the sweet spot👍. Cloud storage is good but not for everything. Most of our good games are 600mb - 2gig and once you start installing all of these games and even some apps man does the memory go fast not to mention music. You are right I would loose some very cool apps. if I could use a 1520 on Verizon I would do it in a hart beat because of the expansion slot. I think expansion should be on every device.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99