Torn between SE and Icon

Ltauhmise

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I've been using the Lumia Icon as my daily driver for about 8 months now. I picked up an Ativ SE off ebay the other day and it will be arriving soon. Of these two phones, which would you say is better?

I love the build quality of the Icon. The clear black display. And have always been a nokia ******.

On the other hand... the SE has micro sd card support and a removable battery.

What do you guys think?

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I've had the Lumia Icon and thought it was a pretty quality phone. My only concerns with the Icon were that the firmware updates were way behind other carriers and they would have fixed, hopefully, the occasional overheating and delayed wake while running the phone with the developer preview. It was a quality phone and hopefully will be updated by VZW in the next few months.

Having not used the Ativ SE, I cannot really say much. I never needed SD support on the Icon because of the 32 GB memory. I never even got close to using that up. I prefer phones with no removable battery. I figure one less thing to fall apart if I drop the phone. The Icon always carried me through the day with no need for recharge, as long as I recharged it at night.

Did you just get bored with the Icon? Is that why you are looking to change?

Ltauhmise

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
A little bored. Yes. And the Ativ SE looks very attractive aesthetically. The brushed metal back looks nifty. Also a little lighter in the hand. Im not unhappy with my Icon. I actually own 2 icons. A black and white. Just looking to try something new.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The SE is stuck on 8.0 for now and it's anyone's guess when VZW will release Update 1. It's a Samsung so don't expect Denim or Hey Cortana. I've had the SE and it's a fantastic device. The camera is awesome and SD card support is a must for me. But that's me, your posts indicate that you're just looking for something shiny and new. You won't be disappointed after using it for a few days.

Rogozinski

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Personally i think the Ativ SE is a better choice then the Icon. Before the Ativ SE I used the 930 and I am more satisfied with the Ativ. Like the Icon/930 the Ativ SE camera is also great. Photo's in my opinion are even better and sharper on the Ativ! Also Important are the removable battery and the sd-card. The screen is clear and beautiful, and the device is really fast. On both devices still no 8.1 but rumors say it will come this month. Only minus for me is that for the Ativ SE are not so many accesoires like cases. But I bought a nice transparent case on Ebay :)

wraedeo_hed

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Hands down, the SE is the winner. Faster, lighter, more attractive, more functional.

The only valid shortcomings:

1. The camera is superior (easily) as long as there is ample light. Low light the Nokia wins.

2. Currently the SE is only on 8.0, but can be upgraded to the DP if done correctly. Factory reset, DP install, DP update, and then manual install of all previous apps. Don't use "Restore".

JP8296

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Hands down, the SE is the winner. Faster, lighter, more attractive, more functional.

The only valid shortcomings:

1. The camera is superior (easily) as long as there is ample light. Low light the Nokia wins.

2. Currently the SE is only on 8.0, but can be upgraded to the DP if done correctly. Factory reset, DP install, DP update, and then manual install of all previous apps. Don't use "Restore".
SE is faster? why? And the camera is better on the SE (13mp) vs pureview (20mp)?

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
SE is faster? why? And the camera is better on the SE (13mp) vs pureview (20mp)?

Cos pixels doesn't matter, surprisingly Samsung Camera does an awesome job in normal light, in my opinion even better than Lumias. Lumia is low light hands down the best out there. It's about the sensor AND software algorithms making pictures better. And "PureView" is just a naming.

For normal lights I'd go with Samsung Cameras while in low lights and Manual controls and Lens I'd go with Lumia.

vicu9mx

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
The SE is stuck on 8.0 for now and it's anyone's guess when VZW will release Update 1. It's a Samsung so don't expect Denim or Hey Cortana. I've had the SE and it's a fantastic device. The camera is awesome and SD card support is a must for me. But that's me, your posts indicate that you're just looking for something shiny and new. You won't be disappointed after using it for a few days.

Also don't expect screen sharing over wifi in SE ( I get dissapointet of this feature because the 1520 can do it and later the Icon)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

You can't expect a Nokia-specific firmware on a non-nokia anyway.
You can expect a Samsung firmware, just unnamed.

Hey Cortana can happen, but that requires work on their end, and I'd get an Icon because currently, its the least imperfect out of those two with 8.1 and whatnot.

I'd be open to a Samsung, but they haven't done much post-shipping the phone from what I see.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much everything is better on the icon but the se is a great device as well. If there was no way to get an icon or any other Lumia, the SE is verizons second best windows phone presently.

Ltauhmise

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
My Ativ SE arrived the other day. I really do enjoy it. It's lighter than the ICON... remarkably so, at least in my opinion. Screen is just as nice. But what I really love is the mechanical home button that also wakes up the phone. SD card support is fantastic too, but I am a little bummed that I can't install apps to SD just yet.

No word yet on windows 8.1 for the device. But honestly, I like windows 8 all the same. Not having Cortana is much of a deal breaker for me. Plus... removable battery! :)

wraedeo_hed

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
For me, it seems like it moves through the OS much quicker than my Nokia. But on a functional front, it definitely outclasses my Nokia.

robnhl

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
For me, it seems like it moves through the OS much quicker than my Nokia. But on a functional front, it definitely outclasses my Nokia.

Definitely true. I had an icon and the home/appscreen scroll rate on it pales when compared to the Ativ SE. Lumia 928 had the same slow scrolling. Oddly, the Lumia 822 did not.

wraedeo_hed

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't know, but it's a wide enough margin to make me not want a Nokia again. I still have as a backup just incase the SE never gets 8.1.
That being said, as I said before:

Superior screen, and performance

Superior camera given ample light

And far superior functionality, battery, micro SD, physical button, weight, build quality.

The ONLY way I could go back to Nokia is if they had the SE performance in the 830, but they don't, and the 830, while beautiful pales horribly in comparison to the SE.

However this weekend I'm going to install the DP on the SE the way that I've discussed. Part of me wants to wait a little more just to see if Verizon kicks it over, though I'm growing very impatient.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon