Windows 10 on Ativ SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogozinski

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Who is gonna install the Windows 10 preview when it's gonna be available? Let's hope it will work and that it will fix the issues with the camera, un-responsive touch screens and freezes.
I hope there's a user who will keep us informed and up to date because many of us are still afraid to update to the 8.1 preview!

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Any early adopter of the W10 preview will face a hell of a lot of bugs and problems that could potentially even render it unusable. This isn't like the WP 8.1 preview were we got a finished product waiting for market release, here we are getting it in true beta state and its gonna be really unstable at least for the first month. So don't expect it to fix any of the current issue since its not released with any specific phone in mind.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm waiting on someone else to try it too.
My Ativ SE is just sitting in a box with a few other WP, so I'm not that concerned with the bugs of W10. I just don't want to waste the time trying it if it wont work on the SE at all.

Brad Herr

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Nine months later, and it's still not supported. However, I hacked the registry on my Ativ SE so it identifies as a Lumia 830, and that allowed me to register for and download the Preview. Both times I did this on previous releases, I lost the ability to turn on wifi, so I couldn't really use it as a daily driver. To fix this, I tried doing a hard reset while on Windows 10. Unfortunately, the phone failed to install key components of the OS (store, settings, etc.) rendering it entirely useless. Luckily, it's easy enough to flash back to 8.0 and restore from a backup. I have not yet tried the newest release (10513) of W10M Preview, as I suspect I'll experience much the same story until if/when Samsung writes drivers for the device on the new OS.

I also managed to get MMS and Internet Sharing working with T-Mobile via registry hacks. If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to do my best to answer.

arct1cblu3

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi mate, how did you hack the registry? I tried but wasn?t lucky, followed some tut on XDA but didn't work. Can you help me?

Thanks.:smile:

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
If you do a hard reset from 8.1.1 before updating to 10, you should retain WiFi functionality. I found out the issue was a lack of space in a certain sector (even though there's plenty of space on the phone). You'll need to install apps manually afterward, opposed to doing a restore.

Brad Herr

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
If you do a hard reset from 8.1.1 before updating to 10, you should retain WiFi functionality. I found out the issue was a lack of space in a certain sector (even though there's plenty of space on the phone). You'll need to install apps manually afterward, opposed to doing a restore.

But how does that work? When you do a hard reset, you lose all your registry hacks, which means you then can no longer get Windows Insider to offer enrollment in Windows 10 Preview. Am I missing something?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
This tutorial is not mine!!! The credit for this goes to user Brad Herr. Don't thank me, thank him.

One prerequisite is that you have a micro SD card. If you don't have one, get one. Put it in your phone, and make sure you change your settings to install new apps on the SD. You'll also need the Preview For Developers app. If you already have it, delete it, and reinstall it on the SD card.

Next, you need to Developer Unlock your device. Someone put together a Lite version of the Windows Phone SDK which makes this easy. Click here to download WP SDK Lite

There will be three tools installed with this SDK, but you'll only use two of them:

Developer Phone Registration Open Developer Phone Registration and follow the onscreen instructions. Essentially, you just need to connect your device to your computer and make sure your phone is unlocked and on the Home screen. After that, it's just a click. Easy.

Application Deployment We'll come back to this one in a bit.

Next, you need to download Hack Tools.zip

This comes with two files: Custom_WPSystem.xap and Custom_PfD.xap

1.Deploy Custom_WPSystem.xap using the Application Deployment program from WP SDK Lite (follow on-screen instructions)

2.Take the Custom_PfD.xap file, save/place it in sd card using file explorer - DO NOT DEPLOY THIS ONE

3.Now, on your phone, open Custom_WPSystem.xap tool (should be in your app list if successfully deployed). At startup you can see “SD Card permissions” as red color. Now tap that, browse and select SDcard (just SDCard!), and then tap the check mark button at the bottom to apply permissions.

4.Now you can see “SD Card Permissions” as green color.

5.After changing SD Card permissions click on browse xap button (scroll down to bottom to find it).

6.Browse and select Custom_pfd.xap from SD card and click Apply XAP Button.

7.After successfully applying custom_pfd tool to preview for developers goto Preview for Developers apps.

8.Now your phone is hacked and you can edit registry of your Ativ SE.

Hacking the registry for MMS permissions

1.Open the Preview For Developers App

2.From the registry tree (should be the first pivot screen) tap HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Messaging\PerSimSettings\Legacy\ADDR

3.In the text box type http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc

4.Click Write (Note: you won't get any confirmation, and nothing ont he screen will change; however, if you press the back button, and then tap ADDR again, you'll see the value changed to the url you just wrote - YAY!)

5.Tap the back button and navigate to WapPushTechnology. In the text box, type "0" and tap "Write"

6.Tap the back button and navigate to UAProf. Delete any text out of the text box and click "Write" (you want this value blank)

7.Tap the back button and navigate to IMsiAuthenticationToken. Delete any text out of the box and click "Write" (you want this value blank too)

8.Tap the back button and navigate to DefaultContentLocationUrl. In the textbox, type "http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc"

9.Back into the registry tree, navigate to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Cellular\MVSettings\IMSISp ecific\Default\CellUX\HideMMSAPN

10.In the text box type "0" and tap "Write"

11.Tap the back button and navigate to HideAPN. Type "0" in the text box and click "Write"

12.Back into the registry tree, navigate to HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Services\ICSSVC\Settings\EntitlementRequired

13.In the textbox, type "0" and tap "Write"

Congrats. Your MMS and internet sharing should now work on T-Mobile. You may need to restart your phone for everything to take effect.

arct1cblu3

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi all I managed to install TP on ATIV SE with WI-FI working, will test it to tell you how's the battery life on 10.0.10536.1004

BIG THANKS! to Brad Herr and fatclue_98

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I love it when the community comes together to resolve issues plaguing other members. Good job guys. Now let's keep this to ourselves, we don't want the Lumia faction coming here and spoiling our fun. :devil:

Harish39

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
I was also successful with this today. Very pleased! Go team!

Hi can you tell me what needs to be changed after following all the steps in the tutorial above to get windows 10 TP?

Edit : I figured it out somehow and used Lumia 930 RM-1045 UK settings for registery changes and after getting first update through windows insider, my device is rebotting every 5min. I tried to restore to windows phone 8
even on windows phone 8 its rebotting every 5min
And airplane mode is always on, cant even update to wip 8.1
can you help me with this?

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I must be doing something wrong. I can't get the registry editor to stick. Deploying the Custom System XAP is a breeze but that's as far as I'm getting. Is there a desktop registry editor available?

Harish39

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
I must be doing something wrong. I can't get the registry editor to stick. Deploying the Custom System XAP is a breeze but that's as far as I'm getting. Is there a desktop registry editor available?

The only thing you are doing wrong - Using windows phone SDK 8.0 [The one provided with your tutorial is this only]
You need to use Windows phone SDK 8.1 and windows phone application development 8.1 to deplay CustomWPSystem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb