Windows 10 on Ativ SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad Herr

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Hi can you tell me what needs to be changed after following all the steps in the tutorial above to get windows 10 TP?

Edit : I figured it out somehow and used Lumia 930 RM-1045 UK settings for registery changes and after getting first update through windows insider, my device is rebotting every 5min. I tried to restore to windows phone 8
even on windows phone 8 its rebotting every 5min
And airplane mode is always on, cant even update to wip 8.1
can you help me with this?
Holy smokes this blew up since I last checked the thread. It sounds to me like you probably didn't have enough battery life when you attempted the update. Reverting back to stock probably won't help. Most likely what you need is a heckuva lot of patience. Since Windows Phone doesn't allow charging with device powered off, getting the juice back into your phone is going to take time. My recommendation is to leave it unplugged and on and let it wear itself out with the random reboots. After it finally dies, plug it in and leave it alone for a full day. Hopefully by then, your battery will be charged, and it will have made it through the upgrade process.

If it turns out battery wasn't the problem, my apologies for your struggle. Flash back to 8.0 and start fresh (don't restore a backup), upgrade all the way to 8.1.1, and follow the steps again. Personally, the registry points I changed were all in the HKLM\SYSTEM\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo string:
- PhoneFriendlyName: Lumia 830
- PhoneManufacturer: Nokia
- PhoneManufacturerModelName: RM-983

Hopefully that helps!

Last edited:

Brad Herr

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I must be doing something wrong. I can't get the registry editor to stick. Deploying the Custom System XAP is a breeze but that's as far as I'm getting. Is there a desktop registry editor available?

What app did you use to patch the registry editor? I always use Preview For Developers. Regardless, did you make damn sure that the app was installed on your SD card? If not, it will say patching was successful and to check the target app, but nothing will happen. Best thing to do is to delete the target app (e.g. Preview For Developers) after sideloading CustomWPSystem, go to Storage Sense and change your settings to install new apps to SD, then download the target app through the CustomWPSystem app. That way you know for sure it will find it correctly.

Sorry if this isn't the issue or if I got to you too late. I see you were planning to nuke it back to 8.0 and try again. Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Harish39

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Holy smokes this blew up since I last checked the thread. It sounds to me like you probably didn't have enough battery life when you attempted the update. Reverting back to stock probably won't help. Most likely what you need is a heckuva lot of patience. Since Windows Phone doesn't allow charging with device powered off, getting the juice back into your phone is going to take time. My recommendation is to leave it unplugged and on and let it wear itself out with the random reboots. After it finally dies, plug it in and leave it alone for a full day. Hopefully by then, your battery will be charged, and it will have made it through the upgrade process.

If it turns out battery wasn't the problem, my apologies for your struggle. Flash back to 8.0 and start fresh (don't restore a backup), upgrade all the way to 8.1.1, and follow the steps again. Personally, the registry points I changed were all in the HKLM\SYSTEM\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo string:

Hopefully that helps!

My device has enough juice and its charging
and i did revert back to 8.0
flashed like 5 times stil same problem
powering up
and i can do some stuff few times for 5min, then it starts rebooting
May be i messed up by changing the build number too and so my firmware got corrupted it seems

Thanks for the registry info
If gabeaul provides a way to restore ativ se to stock firmware, i will use these tweaks

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
There's an OS update specifically for the reboot issue; I would follow my tutorial to 8.0 and then update all the way to 8.1.1, check for any updates, wait an hour, soft reset, check update again. It's a small update and that may be your issue. Once you've installed that, do a hard-reset twice and try to get to 10.

Harish39

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
There's an OS update specifically for the reboot issue; I would follow my tutorial to 8.0 and then update all the way to 8.1.1, check for any updates, wait an hour, soft reset, check update again. It's a small update and that may be your issue. Once you've installed that, do a hard-reset twice and try to get to 10.

when ever i click on check updates, immediately after few seconds it starts rebooting
Previously i restored to 8.0 a lot of times but nver had this problem

fletch33

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
wifi was working fine but 10536 update killed it. woidering if i need to start over again? its not my daily driver and LTE works but would like wifi again.

thoughts?

Harish39

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
You need to start from scratch on 8.1.1. The key is to do a hard reset AGAIN once you've done all updates to 8.1.1.

@Harish39 Try this: https://www.windowsphone.com/s?appId=b60588a9-5c4c-4d99-b95e-6b15495be83f

Thank you
but after restoring to 8.0 i have only managed to install that small update
device keeps restarting whenever i tried to update my phone to 8.1, i am on windows phone 8.0 and airplane mode is always on, cant even turn off
even after install that small update, during migrating data screen it restarted twice
I just noticed, previously i didnt install samsung driver correctly , havent disable driver signatore verification before restoring to 8.0
now i did that and restored same issue still
infact it said update is unsuccessfull
Is there anyway i can restore to 8.1 directly ? :eek:rly:

arct1cblu3

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Thank you
but after restoring to 8.0 i have only managed to install that small update
device keeps restarting whenever i tried to update my phone to 8.1, i am on windows phone 8.0 and airplane mode is always on, cant even turn off
even after install that small update, during migrating data screen it restarted twice
I just noticed, previously i didnt install samsung driver correctly , havent disable driver signatore verification before restoring to 8.0
now i did that and restored same issue still
infact it said update is unsuccessfull
Is there anyway i can restore to 8.1 directly ? :eek:rly:

That's bad news mate, try to restore to 8.0 without the sim card and sd card and see what happens hope you can get fully functional pone again.

ATIV_S

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Is the MMS & Internet Sharing tutorial instructions on post #13 only for Win10 Ativ SE? Or will it work for WP8.1 Ativ SE as well? Just need a clarification since there's some many different answers on here. Thank you.

fletch33

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Start from scratch and go straight to 10536 (fast route). That's what I did, and I had no problems.

i am trying from scratch again but the last time i dont recall being able to choose anything except for fast preview or regular preview and i chose the fast one.

fletch33

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
OK so after more than a few attempts this is what i had to do to make Wifi etc... all work as expected:

thanks to everyone that helped here and i thought i would type what steps worked for me:

use THIS post for files and specifics

1. reset back to 8.0 then do all updates including stock apps to be on 8.1
2. do a reset of the phone
3. install Preview to SD and Insider to Phone
4. Unlock it
5. deploy Custom WPS and place XAP file on root of SD and patch Preview
6. open preview and use Editor :

DELETE following:

PhoneFriendlyName: Lumia
PhoneManufacturer
PhoneManufacturerModelName

then create strings:

7. open Insider chose the fastest update option
8. let it download and install W10

fletch33

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Does everything work right?

it is not my primary phone but feels solid enough if it was.

issues i have seen:

- lockscreen can be buggy displaying content and often nothing at all but i dont really rely on it for info so it open just fine so doesnt bother me at all
- the 2 Apps IE and APN's will not update and error out but all others have been fine
- WatchON will not work and has an error connecting to server

overall performance has been solid and battery seems like it would be equal to 8.1 but i havent used it for calls and text

wp_ss_20150930_0001.jpg

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Alright, who was the wiseguy who didn't tell me I had to use the Windows Phone SDK 8.1 to get this to finally work?

Update: for those wanting to do it with AT&T, it does work. The MMS settings are:

APNphone
UsernameNot set
PasswordNot set
WAP Gatewayproxy.mobile.att.net
WAP Gateway Port80
MMSChttp://mmsc.mobile.att.net
Max Message Size600k
IP typeIPv4v6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics