Windows 10 on Ativ SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

theshowman

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the details.

But any idea if this (enabling internet sharing and MMS on Verizon Samsung ATIV SE after Windows Mobile 10 update) is doable on build 10586 (I jumped straight to this build) ?

* I can't find the Preview for Developers app any more. It is not found in the app list, and I can't seem to be able to uninstall it as I can't find it.

* Using the RootTools means, I can't find any of the Registry keys either.

Any ideas?

This tutorial is not mine!!! The credit for this goes to user Brad Herr. Don't thank me, thank him.

[snip]

Congrats. Your MMS and internet sharing should now work on T-Mobile. You may need to restart your phone for everything to take effect.

Last edited:

arct1cblu3

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: Windows 10 on Ativ SE (10586)

So seeing as the "Shipping" version of Windows 10 Mobile (10586) was just pushed out today, I'm curious if any ATIV SE users will be upgrading to this release, and if so what their experiences are.

It sounds like 10581 was pretty smooth for all that tried it, and if this shipping release is even better, I think I'm going to dive in. Any and all info from those updating is truly appreciated :)

Thank you in advance!

I updated my ATIV but battery life is not very good and have a camera bug with focus

djblitz

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

So, the battery life is a little meh and then I have an issue with some apps. After a while whenever I try to open the apps the screen just shows the start screen background for a while and then I have to close the app. In order for the app to work, I have to uninstall and re-download it. No idea why tho. It has happened with WhatsApp, Windows Central (which I have not been able to re-install since) and a few others.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

So, the battery life is a little meh and then I have an issue with some apps. After a while whenever I try to open the apps the screen just shows the start screen background for a while and then I have to close the app. In order for the app to work, I have to uninstall and re-download it. No idea why tho. It has happened with WhatsApp, Windows Central (which I have not been able to re-install since) and a few others.

That doesn't sound so great. Wonder if I should hold off :(

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
The battery life takes a hit no matter what phone you use, and bugs are on par with vanilla wp8. Edge browser is much better, worth the upgrade just for that. It takes a while to get used to the lack of haptic feedback though.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
The battery life takes a hit no matter what phone you use, and bugs are on par with vanilla wp8. Edge browser is much better, worth the upgrade just for that. It takes a while to get used to the lack of haptic feedback though.

I turn off haptic feedback anyway, so that's one thing that doesn't bother me. How is Cortana? Does everything still function with her ok?

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I thought I would give an update.
Toolkit pro will not install yet.
Had a problem with the Windows Central app crashing. Had some trouble getting it re-installed.
Had very rare unexpected reboot.
I consider those very minor.
The one that bothers me the most is GPS performance is very bad.
Does not matter if I am using Maps, Copilot or Sygic.

I really like W10M. Worse case I will put my SIM back in my other ATIV-SE. I hope I don't have to though.

Back to GPS
I have been using a Surface Pro 1 with a USB GPS dongle on Copilot for Laptop in my truck when on long trips . That is a touch friendly desktop app that is rock solid. All the Modern Window 8 or 10 apps even with middle ware to convert NMEA to windows location services have been at least a little flaky.

A long way of saying I'm not sure if it is just Windows flaky GPS drivers exacerbated by not having specific firmware for the ATIV-SE?
How is voice navigation for you guys? My speedometer might work for awhile then just stop?

Brad Herr

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the details.

But any idea if this (enabling internet sharing and MMS on Verizon Samsung ATIV SE after Windows Mobile 10 update) is doable on build 10586 (I jumped straight to this build) ?

* I can't find the Preview for Developers app any more. It is not found in the app list, and I can't seem to be able to uninstall it as I can't find it.

* Using the RootTools means, I can't find any of the Registry keys either.

Any ideas?

The registry key you want to edit for Internet Sharing is:
HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Services\ICSSVC\Settings\EntitlementRequired - change value to "0" (zero, without quotes)

The registry keys you want to edit for MMS are:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Messaging\PerSimSettings\L egacy...
ADDR =*http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc (this is for T-Mobile, use your provider's mms address)
WapPushTechnology = 0
UAProf = <Blank>
IMsiAuthenticationToken = <Blank>
DefaultContentLocationUrl =*http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc (this is for T-Mobile, use your provider's mms address)

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Cellular\MVSettings\IMSISp ecific\Default\CellUX...
HideMMSAPN = 0
HideAPN = 0

Hope that helps. You may also need to go into SIM settings and add the APNs manually after updating to W10.

WinBie

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site

So seeing as the "Shipping" version of Windows 10 Mobile (10586) was just pushed out today, I'm curious if any ATIV SE users will be upgrading to this release, and if so what their experiences are.

It sounds like 10581 was pretty smooth for all that tried it, and if this shipping release is even better, I think I'm going to dive in. Any and all info from those updating is truly appreciated :)

Thank you in advance!

Had a stable 10581 running for about 3 weeks which was an update from W8.1 without hard reset. Hence waited and cautiously updated to 10586. Voila, it was a non-event (boring too, don't know what really improved!). "All stable" version with no hiccups whatever.There were problems with camera (flash not working in auto flash mode) in the previous build which continued with this update as well. Storage lists both internal and USB memories unlike the previous build.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

Had a stable 10581 running for about 3 weeks which was an update from W8.1 without hard reset. Hence waited and cautiously updated to 10586. Voila, it was a non-event (boring too, don't know what really improved!). "All stable" version with no hiccups whatever.There were problems with camera (flash not working in auto flash mode) in the previous build which continued with this update as well. Storage lists both internal and USB memories unlike the previous build.

WinBie, thanks for the update. Have you noticed any issues with Cortana moving from Windows 8.1 to WM10? I've heard things that the functionality doesn't work as well.

theshowman

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the response.

Trying:
Path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, System\ControlSet001\Services\ICSSVC\Settings
Key: EntitlementRequired
On WM10, build 10586, when using RootTools and using:
- All Windows Registry editor: key is not found when doing a READ: Is that normal? I don't thing writing a new key is a good idea.
- Using Lumia Editor, I get an exception indicating NDTKSvc.dll not found
- Using Samsung Editor, I get External component has thrown an exception.

The registry key you want to edit for Internet Sharing is:
HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Services\ICSSVC\Settings\EntitlementRequired - change value to "0" (zero, without quotes)

The registry keys you want to edit for MMS are:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Messaging\PerSimSettings\L egacy...
ADDR =*http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc (this is for T-Mobile, use your provider's mms address)
WapPushTechnology = 0
UAProf = <Blank>
IMsiAuthenticationToken = <Blank>
DefaultContentLocationUrl =*http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc (this is for T-Mobile, use your provider's mms address)

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Cellular\MVSettings\IMSISp ecific\Default\CellUX...
HideMMSAPN = 0
HideAPN = 0

Hope that helps. You may also need to go into SIM settings and add the APNs manually after updating to W10.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I turn off haptic feedback anyway, so that's one thing that doesn't bother me. How is Cortana? Does everything still function with her ok?
I can't get her to recognize the "play xyz artist/song/album", but I can still say play my music or shuffle. Don't know if this is by design or not with the new groove app. Haven't tested the same function on the wife's Icon yet.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I can't get her to recognize the "play xyz artist/song/album", but I can still say play my music or shuffle. Don't know if this is by design or not with the new groove app. Haven't tested the same function on the wife's Icon yet.

Thanks for the update. I'm actually more curious about the Hands-Free Text / Calling Over Bluetooth functionality while in the car. Any experience with that?

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I like W10M enough that I think it would be a slight bummer to go back to 8.1.

The settings in 10 is like 10 on the PC rather than WP8.1 setting I was used to. The cool thing is you can type in the search box what setting you are looking for and it will come up.
I think there is always a little pain in changing to a new OS but this was a breeze and fun.
I took me a while to get out of Groove music what I had achieved with XBOX music but now I have surpassed what I had in XBOX with Groove.
When I first fired up W10M the battery did go down fast but I realized two things. First, the mandatory app updates made the thing really work. Second, the battery saver was not turned on by default. So after using for a week I see when I get home from work it has used a little more battery than 8.1 did but not a problem. I hope there is an official upgrade from MS for this phone as it probably would out perform this load for the ICON. Also if we would be lucky enough that Samsung would actually cooperate we could get new firmware also. Has anyone heard anything about this phone getting an official update?

theshowman

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the update. I'm actually more curious about the Hands-Free Text / Calling Over Bluetooth functionality while in the car. Any experience with that?

I've been using bluetooth with WM10 10586 on the ATIV SE and it works fine for the most part (I'll qualify that a bit later).
All HF functionality works, including A2DP and AVRCP 1.3 (got downgraded from 1.4 that we had with WP8.1, so no bluetooth browsing capability for stored music).

There is the odd time that a call doesn't go through and the only way out would be to restart the phone. (and sometimes restarting bluetooth). But I must say I think I had issues like this with WP8.1 as well but I don't yet have any opinions about its frequency or severity. Time will tell.

theshowman

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Another update.
GPS working after reboot.
Internet sharing good.
Local and OneDrive playlists working.

Could you please comment as to how you got Internetsharing to work?
I've been trying to edit the registry key (as per Brad Herr's suggestions) but I can't seem to be able to edit the registry.
Would be great if you could share your steps.

thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb