Windows 10 on Ativ SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I did the hard reset and ok so far. Now of course my model is no longer Icon but ATIV-SE so no more windows insider loads until I can again change the model with the registry editor. I may hold of on that for a while until someone more knowledgeable than myself speaks to this.

Thanks
Bill

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I did the hard reset and ok so far. Now of course my model is no longer Icon but ATIV-SE so no more windows insider loads until I can again change the model with the registry editor. I may hold of on that for a while until someone more knowledgeable than myself speaks to this.

Thanks
Bill

That kinda stinks. Is it hard to change back to ICON while already in WM10? I'm guessing we should stay away from a hard reset then if we still want to get Insider Builds?

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site

That kinda stinks. Is it hard to change back to ICON while already in WM10? I'm guessing we should stay away from a hard reset then if we still want to get Insider Builds?

Many of the stock apps (like Store) and many third-party apps (especially camera apps) will be sluggish with the Icon's registry entries in place. Your phone will instantly perform better if you reset or manually change the values back to normal. Don't be afraid of hard resetting and not being able to get more builds; you can put the device in developer mode and sideload Root Tool V2. Root Tool V2 and this method of sideloading it (simply putting it in Developer Mode) have been out and functional on all Windows 10 phones for several months now :) If you're curious, PhoneManufacturer is SAMSUNG and PhoneManufacturerModelName is SM-W750V

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Many of the stock apps (like Store) and many third-party apps (especially camera apps) will be sluggish with the Icon's registry entries in place. Your phone will instantly perform better if you reset or manually change the values back to normal. Don't be afraid of hard resetting and not being able to get more builds; you can put the device in developer mode and sideload Root Tool V2. Root Tool V2 and this method of sideloading it (simply putting it in Developer Mode) have been out and functional on all Windows 10 phones for several months now :) If you're curious, PhoneManufacturer is SAMSUNG and PhoneManufacturerModelName is SM-W750V

Are "PhoneManufacturer" and "PhoneManufacturerModelName" the only two fields that need to be reset in Root Tool V2 in order to make things perform better?

djblitz

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I must say the hard reset which would have changed the phone registry back to norm mad a huge difference! My phone is running alot smoother and the camera apps which were giving trouble are now working without any issues at all! 10 cheers for Windows 10! Question now is, how do I change the registry information again when I'm ready?

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I must say the hard reset which would have changed the phone registry back to norm mad a huge difference! My phone is running alot smoother and the camera apps which were giving trouble are now working without any issues at all! 10 cheers for Windows 10! Question now is, how do I change the registry information again when I'm ready?

Great news! Hope it's not being too needy, but maybe the guide can be updated to reflect that now it's ok to do a hard reset once WM10 is on the device, including them best time to do so? Also, maybe an addendum of how & when to edit the registry?

Great appreciation in advance if possible! Seems there has been some minor tweaks since the initial post, and it would be awesome to incorporate them :)

Euell Gibbons

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Well, I tried this, but after a couple of days this was just too buggy to use as a daily driver:

Several apps unable to access data, for some reason.
None of the weather radar apps would display on a live tile.
No sound or vibration on notification of several apps.
Other apps just not working at all (Analog clock tile, Live tile agenda)
and more...

So back to 8.1 for now.

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Are "PhoneManufacturer" and "PhoneManufacturerModelName" the only two fields that need to be reset in Root Tool V2 in order to make things perform better?

To be honest, I'm not sure. However, I assume most apps have access to all information within DeviceTargettingInfo, since that is its purpose. I would put all values from DeviceTargettigInfo back to how it was on 8.1.1.

Yea, it really makes a huge difference! To edit the registry, you can turn on Developer Mode from the settings menu, and then just sideload Root Tool v2

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Looks like a new mobile build is out today (.36) and will be the last of the year. I just got my backup ATIV SE and will finally throw throw WM10 it on later today.

Interested to hear what others experiences are with the new build. Merry Christmas!

Justin Smyth

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Found the fix for adding apn and saving for ATIV SE - you need to flash back to stock 8 , add it in under apns add it there and it will save. then update to 8.1 then to 10. its something to do with the stock rom you need to add your apn before you update to 8.1

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Just a heads up, the newer versions of Win10 are complete cabs; we can do Hard Resets now on Windows 10. Just tested on 10586. Also, putting together an interop tutorial if anyone's interested.

Hey Jeemo, did you ever get around to making an Interop tutorial? I'm a bit stuck in trying to get the RootTool cab sideloaded on my phone.

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Hey Jeemo, did you ever get around to making an Interop tutorial? I'm a bit stuck in trying to get the RootTool cab sideloaded on my phone.

Haven't made the tutorial yet but I can probably help you out. There are multiple versions of Root Tool and it is possible you've retrieved the wrong version for Windows 10. If your SE is running Win10M, go to Settings > Update & Security > For developers, and select "Developer mode". Once you've selected that, the version of Root Tool from this thread should deploy just fine without doing anything special. If you don't have deployment tools setup, this is a good tutorial.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Haven't made the tutorial yet but I can probably help you out. There are multiple versions of Root Tool and it is possible you've retrieved the wrong version for Windows 10. If your SE is running Win10M, go to Settings > Update & Security > For developers, and select "Developer mode". Once you've selected that, the version of Root Tool from this thread should deploy just fine without doing anything special. If you don't have deployment tools setup, this is a good tutorial.

Thanks for the help Jeemo, however I do have it in Developer's Mode, and I tried installing that exact XAP from the root of the SD Card using the built in File Manager app for WM10. It asks me if I want to install it, but when I do, it doesnt do anything :( What am I missing?

Jeemo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the help Jeemo, however I do have it in Developer's Mode, and I tried installing that exact XAP from the root of the SD Card using the built in File Manager app for WM10. It asks me if I want to install it, but when I do, it doesnt do anything :( What am I missing?

That only works with store-signed apps. You need to deploy Root Tool from your computer, using either the official deployment tools, the tools from the second link in my reply, or another deployment suite.

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help everyone. I was able to side load the root tool. I was able to change to Nokia to get the update then set it back to Samsung. This really makes it so I can enjoy my ATIV-SE with Windows 10 until there is a better Windows Phone for Verizon.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Thank you everyone for the help as well! I've got my secondary ATIV SE up and running with the latest version of WM10 and all my apps installed as well. I'm really loving WM10 (look & functionality) thus far and everything is working very smoothly (so far).

However, the only issues Im running into at the moment is trying to get the HERE apps sideloaded onto the device. I'm trying to follow this XDA thread with no luck:

[Interop][Windows 10 Mobile] How to install ?€? - Pg. 5 | Windows 10 Development and Hacking

Anyone else successfully get these loaded on? I ask because they are not available via the store at the moment.

Any and all info is truly appreciated!

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok, in response to my own question, I learned through a little research that HERE Maps / Drive have essentially been replaced by Windows Maps. Would that be correct?

I also installed Maps+ on my device (which I had on 8.1) and it looks like both are somewhat similar, although it looks like Maps+ uses Google services for some features.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which, if either, is the best replacement for HERE Maps & Drive?

(Also would love a good replacement for City Lens and Transit if possible. Or are they incorporated into Windows Maps as well?)

Any and all info is truly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos