Windows 10 on Ativ SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Well if u have the 10 already build all u need to do is change the manufacturer and model name to the Nokia icon (rm-975 I think) and it shud update without an issue

I've been trying to do that with what seems no luck. I've used Root Tool V2 to change both items as instructed (In the other Win 10 Upgrade Thread for ATIV SE). The app looks like it's changing the values, but under "About Phone" in settings it says:

Model: NOKIA SM-W750V

I tried using the All Windows Registry and Samsung Registry options to change the values. It seems like it's only changing the manufacturer name and not the model using Root Tool V2.

Is there any other app outside of Root Tool V2 I should be using? I'd like to upgrade to the latest build if possible and having a heck of a time getting Windows Insider to connect :( I've attached a screenshot of the error.Error.jpg

Any and all help is truly appreciated!

Last edited:

Euell Gibbons

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Your are inadvertently conflating 2 different items in the registry. There are separate entries for the actual phone model number and a "phone friendly" model number. The value displayed in the "about" screen is the "phone friendly" value, not the actual value used when doing the lookup for S/W update purposes.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Your are inadvertently conflating 2 different items in the registry. There are separate entries for the actual phone model number and a "phone friendly" model number. The value displayed in the "about" screen is the "phone friendly" value, not the actual value used when doing the lookup for S/W update purposes.

Gotcha. So the next question is, how do I confirm I have the proper registry values on the phone to get the latest build? Is anyone else getting this message when trying to get the build?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help with this! :)

Euell Gibbons

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I just manually verified the values using the registry editor in the fake PFD app.

I will warn you, though; I successfully got W10 installed on my SE, but it was really not very useful. Too many things didn't work right. I had to roll back to 8.1

theshowman

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
hi
How do you roll back to 8.1 from WM10 on ATIV SE? Instructions would be very much appreciated?

Another question, once on WM10, what registry editor can be used to edit the registry (for enabling tethering if not on verizon network, using an unlocked phone on a different network). I tried to use the PFD registry hack, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Also, there is always a mention of never to do a hard reset once on WM10 (upon changing registry) - is hard reset different than the "reset phone" that appears under "about" menu to do a factory reset/wipe data?

Thanks

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Been running .63 since it came out with no hard reset.

The Good
No win 8 apps had to be re-installed (yet). I go with universal apps where I can.

The Bad
Had one random reboot this AM while running the MSN app.
GPS nav is highly unreliable. Not sure if this is just a windows 10 or an ATIV-SE/windows 10 thing.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Actually found an active forum for Ativ SE on WP10...not many out there from my perspective.

Once I found a way to revert my Ativ SE back to stock I immediately edited the Registry to install W 10 Mobile for insiders. Once I did upgrade the first time it was to build 10.0.10586.29. I was skeptical of wiping it out (Hard Reset) possibly causing boot issues, but I have done that also with no issues only on build 10.0.10586.63. The phone has worked well even better in some cases after the hard reset. I would not have done this if I did not know a way to revert back to WP 8.0 though.

Techru

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
Wanted to post a brief update. .63 had been very stable and no real issues for me. Battery life remained the same, and as I mentioned previously, I have not ever had issues with battery, so still no change there. I had also performed a hard reset after .63, and no overall issues to report. As the phone then reverts back to ATIV SE, Windows Insider would no longer produce any available updates. Things were stable, so I was happy to remain there.

Heard about the new release channel, Production. Grabbed that, and the next day got the new .107 OTA update. AWESOME. Good to know Hard Rest and Production channel are now giving me updates again.

Here are a few screen captures:
wp_ss_20160213_0003.jpg

wp_ss_20160213_0007.jpg

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm able to confirm the same. Wp10 no reg hack needed to go to .107. Insider shows I can now download production builds.

One problem I'm having. How do we unlock tethering and mms on windows phone 10, now that I've hard reset.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm able to confirm the same. Wp10 no reg hack needed to go to .107. Insider shows I can now download production builds.

One problem I'm having. How do we unlock tethering and mms on windows phone 10, now that I've hard reset.
Since W10 allows dev mode you only need to deploy a reg editor (root tool) and do the edits needed to get MMS and Internet Sharing going.

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Since W10 allows dev mode you only need to deploy a reg editor (root tool) and do the edits needed to get MMS and Internet Sharing going.

I'm able to deploy root tool v2 to my phone (the customwpsystem_0600.xap trick doesn't work on wm10) but every time I try to change an entry it just says failed. Any ideas?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm able to deploy root tool v2 to my phone (the customwpsystem_0600.xap trick doesn't work on wm10) but every time I try to change an entry it just says failed. Any ideas?
Make sure every time you try to change something that HKLM (Local Machine) is checked. By default, there are no selections made.

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Make sure every time you try to change something that HKLM (Local Machine) is checked. By default, there are no selections made.

Got it. I selected local machine, but was putting HKLM at the start of the registry address. Your post tipped me off that I didn't need to. Thank you. :)

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Got it. I selected local machine, but was putting HKLM at the start of the registry address. Your post tipped me off that I didn't need to. Thank you. :)

Finally got .107 installed on my backup ATIV SE as well thanks to the tips!

Out of curiosity, is there any advantage to keeping the registry fields on NOKIA vs Samsung, or vice versa? Wondering if it will need ot be Nokia again once the Redstone builds get rolled out to other non-Lumia 950 devices.

Last but not least, anyone notice any overall improvements with .107 vs older builds? I was on .36 and went back to my ATIV SE with 8.1 due to bugs.

Thanks again!

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Finally got .107 installed on my backup ATIV SE as well thanks to the tips!

Out of curiosity, is there any advantage to keeping the registry fields on NOKIA vs Samsung, or vice versa? Wondering if it will need ot be Nokia again once the Redstone builds get rolled out to other non-Lumia 950 devices.

Last but not least, anyone notice any overall improvements with .107 vs older builds? I was on .36 and went back to my ATIV SE with 8.1 due to bugs.

Thanks again!

.107 is the best build I've used to date. If you leave your phone model as Nokia then you can sign up for fast ring, slow ring, or production ring. If you put your model back to Samsung, you can only choose production ring in the insider app.

Mike Jain

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I could do a hard reset of .107 without any issues, big relief! But I see only a production release option in Windows Insider, while you have an insider release option . . . maybe cos you came from .63

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I could do a hard reset of .107 without any issues, big relief! But I see only a production release option in Windows Insider, while you have an insider release option . . . maybe cos you came from .63

Everyone will only get production releases (lets be honest, those ones will be the less buggy ones of the bunch) and the only way to get fast or slow ring is to change your phone model to the Nokia equivalent. For me, after .107, I'd rather just have production releases.

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
wp_ss_20160320_0001.jpg

So far so good with this build. Scrolling on start screen (and for apps) is much better in this build than in the previous. Outlook Mail was initially messed up, but just got an update and it's fine now. Got my MMS working. Very happy with this so far...

Update: Lock Screen background/Bing Image does not work....
Also: SIM/Service seems to take a long time to engage, and seems to drop a lot...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99