I've never seen one till today

vicu9mx

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
@fatclue_98 are talking about ROWS not COLUMNS, count tthem in the 920 picture and are 4 and a half, and for ATIV SE are 5 ROWS.

Of course ALL phones are capable of displaying 3 columns even the 520

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I had a Samsung Focus and liked it, but I know that mine and two others had problems where the power switch started to fail. apparently that was very common. My dad had a Focus S, which seemed to have noticeably higher built quality, so Samsung didn't build bad phones.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
@fatclue_98 are talking about ROWS not COLUMNS, count tthem in the 920 picture and are 4 and a half, and for ATIV SE are 5 ROWS.

I'm pretty sure they're talking about columns.. Maybe you should re-read everything.

Last edited:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

They ARE talking about columns, BTW the ATIV S can not only have the three columns but also shows 5 rows on the screen as well.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
So my your saying my 920 can't do this then?

View attachment 96575

As it doesn't have a full HD screen or as you put it a HD screen (it has a 1280 x 768 resolution) .

Please don't spread fud, MS enabled the three columns with the 8.1 update via an option under start + themes for devices with less than 5".

Here is an extract from the article below "it turns out that all Windows Phones will indeed get three-column support for Live Tiles". Yes initially you would have needed to do a reg hack on the Ativ S prior to the update to enable the three columns.

Video of three column support on older devices with Windows Phone 8.1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77yCxXc5RcE&feature=player_detailpage#t=48

Extract from the above video "it was so popular we decided to bring this feature to all screen sizes, so now with windows phone 8.1 any user can turn on this enhanced layout providing an expanded canvas to express their individuality".

Maybe you missed this part of my quote:

"I may be incorrect but I believe only HD displays are capable of this, not 720p."

I'm man enough to admit a mistake when I'm clearly wrong. But I did preface correctly that I wasn't sure.

navidee

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I had a Samsung Focus and liked it, but I know that mine and two others had problems where the power switch started to fail. apparently that was very common. My dad had a Focus S, which seemed to have noticeably higher built quality, so Samsung didn't build bad phones.

Yeah I had the power button issue and mine eventually crapped out, but it may have been due to a unstable rom that i flashed. It wont even power up anymore *sad panda*

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Maybe you missed this part of my quote:

"I may be incorrect but I believe only HD displays are capable of this, not 720p."

I'm man enough to admit a mistake when I'm clearly wrong. But I did preface correctly that I wasn't sure.

Actually I didn't, I appologise sorta lost my cool there had a beyond extremely crappy day and that just tipped me right over.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Support, like all Samsung Wp, is **** poor. You can't even run the Preview for Developers on it successfully (lots of bugs, for me I would have to soft reset after every phone call because it would freeze).
Verizon (or anyone else) hasn't even mentioned it regarding an update. So you'd have to be content with WP8 and maybe forget ever getting 8.1 much less 8.1.1 or 8.1.2.
Also, like every Samsung I've ever had, its a flimsy built device.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Support, like all Samsung Wp, is **** poor. You can't even run the Preview for Developers on it successfully (lots of bugs, for me I would have to soft reset after every phone call because it would freeze).
Verizon (or anyone else) hasn't even mentioned it regarding an update. So you'd have to be content with WP8 and maybe forget ever getting 8.1 much less 8.1.1 or 8.1.2.

Haven't used the SE but have to say, my Ativ S has been a wonderful phone. Regarding its build...have used it almost 2 years and it is still in great shape. Dev Preview worked with the exception of the camera bug. Prior to 8.1, I got regular OS, Samsung apps and firmware updates. The lack of support for the SE has more to do with Verizon,I think, than Samsung. Didn't the Ativ S Neo get 8.1? Recently purchased a Lumia 930(which I am enjoying) but I miss the physical home button and light weight of my Ativ. The "cheap build" accusations about Samsung are nonsense.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

So because YOU had a bad experience then it WILL be the same for everyone else. FYI my ATIV S has had zero problems in the entire time I've had it, oh and I should mention it IS running WP8.1.1 with the Samsung firmware update. The only issue I encountered with the PfD was the camera bug which affected every ATIV S that the PfD was installed on. Flimsy build quality, something tells me that you've never used a Samsung WP otherwise you'd realise that is just nonsense spouted by Lumia Fanboys!!!!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
^^ I've had the S Neo and the SE. My wife currently has a Neo with the official AT&T 8.1 on it. I can't say anything bad about any of them. If the SE was available on Ma Bell, I would not have a 1520.
Sent from my big *** Lumia 1520

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786