I've never seen one till today

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The SE is as fine a Windows Phone as there is. I actually owned one when I was on Verizon so I'm not spewing FUD like others here ^^. If it was available on AT&T I would not hesitate to get another.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I think that's Ativ S on the pic, nit the SE.

I don't like Samsung phones, never did, but now I do have an Ativ S and it's great phone. It does have 8.1.1 official but Samsung support is bad. Otherwise, great bang for buck.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
My office colleague sitting next to me has an Ativ S. It decent and does not have the hangs/freezes of the Galaxy. It is quite decent on WP8.0 But he really envies the embellishments of my 920 on WP8.1/Denim. The Ssg updates for his Activ is really the pits. His next phone will definitely be a Lumia.

Last edited:

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Ativ, not Activ. If he have the international, not the North American version of it, direct him to the Samsung part of forum, with a bit of effort he can upgrade to 8.1.1

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I think that's Ativ S on the pic, nit the SE.

I don't like Samsung phones, never did, but now I do have an Ativ S and it's great phone. It does have 8.1.1 official but Samsung support is bad. Otherwise, great bang for buck.

The Ativ S does not support the tile layout seen on that picture, only the SE can have 4 small and 1 medium on the same row.

Euell Gibbons

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
When my Lumiz 822 bit the dust I picked up a refurb Ativ S Neo for under a benjamin. Terrific phone, much better than the Lumia. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Samsung WP.

Vistaus

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Nokia had good build quality most of the time, but why the hate on MS build quality? Surface Pro 3 (and the other Surface devices) is a great example of MS build quality. Sure, the 535 is nothing to write home about but seeing what they are able to deliver Surface-wise, I'm pretty sure that once they start deprecating mid-range and high-end Nokia's, build quality will be much, much better.

(btw, Samsung build quality is meh-ish IMHO, even the Windows Phone devices; I'd much rather pick HTC or Blu over Samsung then)

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
My wife has an S with 8.1 and you can't. I may be incorrect but I believe only HD displays are capable of this, not 720p.

So my your saying my 920 can't do this then?

wp_ss_20150212_0003.png

As it doesn't have a full HD screen or as you put it a HD screen (it has a 1280 x 768 resolution) .

Please don't spread fud, MS enabled the three columns with the 8.1 update via an option under start + themes for devices with less than 5".

Here is an extract from the article below "it turns out that all Windows Phones will indeed get three-column support for Live Tiles". Yes initially you would have needed to do a reg hack on the Ativ S prior to the update to enable the three columns.

Video of three column support on older devices with Windows Phone 8.1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77yCxXc5RcE&feature=player_detailpage#t=48

Extract from the above video "it was so popular we decided to bring this feature to all screen sizes, so now with windows phone 8.1 any user can turn on this enhanced layout providing an expanded canvas to express their individuality".

navidee

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
My first WP was a Samsung Focus and it still is/was my all time favorite phone. Unfortunately it crapped out about a month before I bought my 1020, but I had tons of fun with it from 7 to 7.5 to 7.8. Only phone I've ever seen that made your micro SD a part of the internal memory and would kill for that feature again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro