09-02-2015 02:29 PM
37 12
tools
    I had the same issue as Ralph, USB drivers would not install.
    Did some digging and it seems to be a reoccuring theme with Win7 X64 machines.
    I did finally get it to work by performing the following steps, hope this helps for others:
    1. In Device Manager right click on WP device and click "Update Driver Software"
    2. Browse My Computer for Driver Software
    3. Select Let me pick from a list of driver...
    Attachment 99291
    4. Select USB Devices
    Attachment 99292
    5. Select "WinUSB Device" and click Next
    Attachment 99293
    6. Computer should then pick up Samsung SDB Interface
    7. From there the Binary tool should read your device

Hope this helps.
    03-08-2015 12:52 PM
    I'm having an issue where the WP8 Binary Downloader, no matter which version I try to use, freezes as soon as I plug in the device, no matter which operating system, computer or driver I use. Anyone have this issue and found a way to solve it? I've installed and restarted, as said, I've tried updating the driver through both driver update and windows update, I've reset the phone, computer, updated the computer, tried Windows XP, 7, 8.1 and 10 and NOTHING is working for me. Please help me out!
    03-14-2015 10:11 PM
    I'm having an issue where the WP8 Binary Downloader, no matter which version I try to use, freezes as soon as I plug in the device, no matter which operating system, computer or driver I use. Anyone have this issue and found a way to solve it? I've installed and restarted, as said, I've tried updating the driver through both driver update and windows update, I've reset the phone, computer, updated the computer, tried Windows XP, 7, 8.1 and 10 and NOTHING is working for me. Please help me out!
    If you tried different computers, then the problem is either your process, your cable, or your phone (physically). Try out a shorter cable.
    04-11-2015 03:59 PM
    Anyone else notice their signal strength has dropped with the official 8.1 update? Mine is noticeably, if not significantly worse than it was on the Dev Preview 8.1
    04-11-2015 11:30 PM
    Would this downgrade to 8 from DP 8.1 work with the Ativ S or is it specific to the SE?
    04-18-2015 10:11 PM
    I tried everything to the tee. I was about to give up, but thought I would try a different usb cord as a last attempt and WaLa, the channel info showed up and the downgrade to stock window phone 8 was a success. Thank you Jeemo for all of your effort!!
    04-27-2015 09:24 PM
    I tried everything to the tee. I was about to give up, but thought I would try a different usb cord as a last attempt and WaLa, the channel info showed up and the downgrade to stock window phone 8 was a success. Thank you Jeemo for all of your effort!!
    Yes, oddly enough this utility is particular about which USB port you use.
    05-02-2015 07:23 PM
    Its taking a while to detect the device and display the channel info. Working very well, thanks
    05-30-2015 03:34 AM
    Finally biting the bullet. Game saves aren't worth the constant screen not responding to touches after every phone call in the PfD. Just saw a "SAMSUNG UPDATE" in the list, so hopefully that's the firmware updates I've wanted. I also took out the SD card with apps on it before doing anything, we'll see if that helps me keep any settings that weren't backed up to the cloud.
    robnhl likes this.
    07-12-2015 03:14 PM
    Less than a day and I'm pretty happy. Changes I've noticed so far, switching from the PfD 8.1 to 8.0 then the official 8.1:

Pros:
    • Screen doesn't go randomly unresponsive to touch (usually after calls) so far
    • Doesn't randomly crash when using the camera / light
    • Added USB settings (prompt for charge vs data)
    • Wireless screen projecting is sweet
    • More apps / game saves were saved than I expected
    • Seems faster

Cons:
    • Can no longer have the "old" sized start screen, (4 small tiles left to right in portrait).
    • Lost some game saves
    • Had to re-download all of the apps which took a while
    • Keeping apps on the SD card didn't work. They show up under Other in Storage Sense, and you're prompted to delete them the first time you try to install a new app to the card
    • Asphalt 7 now renders text all garbled

At this point I've just uninstalled all the games that didn't persist saves, and I'm going to move on to ones I haven't started or did persist.
    07-13-2015 01:56 PM
    Tried this method for my wife's phone last night (which I had installed PFD without knowing the issues everyone had). It went well and I updated to the official 8.1 update (8.10.14203 I think). Then I got a notice for another update which was to correct some reboot problem, and when I install that the phone freezes on the Samsung screen when it does the restart as part of the install process. I can't get it out of that by any method other than reusing the tool to go back to 8.0. I thought it was an issue the first time, but it happened the next time as well. Then I tried to do it again but with doing a hard reset at each update level (after the intial 8.0, then the next update to prepare for 8.1, and official 8.1). It still froze when I did the reboot fix update. I have just told her not to let it update if she is prompted, but I wanted to know if anyone else had this problem.
    08-31-2015 02:53 PM
    Found my problem... bad sd card. Just by dumb luck I turned it back on after I removed the SIM and sd card and it worked. I let it update fully, and then put them back in. Again it froze on the Samsung screen. By process of elimination I found it to be the sd card. Even after I formatted it, the phone was still freezing on startup. I put in an old 8GB card I had and it worked fine. Amazon is sending me a replacement now. It was a 2 week old Sandisk 64GB card that failed.
    09-02-2015 02:29 PM
37 12